Tom Moore

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: Tom Moore

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Funny, my Dad just sent me this article clipped from the Courant yesterday. My parents live in CT and are life-long UConn fans...good stuff!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Love this:

“I feel like I did in ’94 when I joined UConn at a time when the program had been built up to a point where it was running and functioning at a high level,” said Moore
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fantastic article. What a staff we have here with Cox and Moore as top assistants
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't think Boswell is doing any scouts, which means Cox and Moore are doing them all where they used to split them between the 3 assistants.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote:I don't think Boswell is doing any scouts, which means Cox and Moore are doing them all where they used to split them between the 3 assistants.
That is good. Last night Moore must have done the scout. He was up calling out info to the players and Cox was sitting further down the bench.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thanks for the link. Dan is really building a first-class organization.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I don't think Boswell is doing any scouts, which means Cox and Moore are doing them all where they used to split them between the 3 assistants.
That is good. Last night Moore must have done the scout. He was up calling out info to the players and Cox was sitting further down the bench.
We had the same observation at the GMU game - to the point where at times if you just arrived at the arena off a space ship or something you'd think Moore was the HC the way he was comporting himself on the sideline.

That is not a knock, by the way. It's awesome we have another guy on the bench that is head coach quality. Makes Dan's life so much easier, I'm sure, and it is clearly not hurting the on-court product at all. No reason to pick on a guy who is not around anymore, but I did feel there was some pattern to let downs coming in games where Carr had the scout. Certainly could be coincidence but whatever the reason there have been fewer of those this season.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Going from Carr to Moore is an incredible upgrade, in all phases of what an assistant coach does.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: That is not a knock, by the way. It's awesome we have another guy on the bench that is head coach quality. Makes Dan's life so much easier, I'm sure, and it is clearly not hurting the on-court product at all. No reason to pick on a guy who is not around anymore, but I did feel there was some pattern to let downs coming in games where Carr had the scout. Certainly could be coincidence but whatever the reason there have been fewer of those this season.
Yeah, not to turn this into a Carr thread or anything, but I think your last point there is pretty valid. My memory could be failing me, but I even want to say they took him off of the scouting games later in the season.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
We had the same observation at the GMU game - to the point where at times if you just arrived at the arena off a space ship or something you'd think Moore was the HC the way he was comporting himself on the sideline.

That is not a knock, by the way. It's awesome we have another guy on the bench that is head coach quality. Makes Dan's life so much easier, I'm sure, and it is clearly not hurting the on-court product at all. No reason to pick on a guy who is not around anymore, but I did feel there was some pattern to let downs coming in games where Carr had the scout. Certainly could be coincidence but whatever the reason there have been fewer of those this season.
That's why the last couple years I've tried to have a thread to keep track of the scout, but it's never maintained traction
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

That is not a knock, by the way. It's awesome we have another guy on the bench that is head coach quality. Makes Dan's life so much easier, I'm sure, and it is clearly not hurting the on-court product at all.
It’s also indicative of a really connected staff and a secure head coach. Not all head coaches are ok with a guy on the bench who has more experience or who could be seen as able to do their job. I think Dan does see it as a positive. He knows Moore’s likely to be a head coach again but is taking advantage of his time with them in an assistant role. As noted in the article, Moore’s also learning and will be able to take away things he’s picked up at URI when he moves on.
4 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Moore is a great guy and he'd never do anything that Dan wasn't comfortable with and Dan knows that. A great staff.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."