Tom Moore

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8960
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1434

Tom Moore

Postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

1 x

RI_Bred
Lamar Odom
Posts: 337
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Saunderstown
x 111

Re: Tom Moore

Postby RI_Bred » 1 month ago

Funny, my Dad just sent me this article clipped from the Courant yesterday. My parents live in CT and are life-long UConn fans...good stuff!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1235
Joined: 5 years ago
x 357

Re: Tom Moore

Postby steviep123 » 1 month ago

Love this:

“I feel like I did in ’94 when I joined UConn at a time when the program had been built up to a point where it was running and functioning at a high level,” said Moore
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Sly Williams
Posts: 3923
Joined: 5 years ago
x 701

Re: Tom Moore

Postby reef » 1 month ago

Fantastic article. What a staff we have here with Cox and Moore as top assistants
3 x

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3182
Joined: 5 years ago
x 536

Re: Tom Moore

Postby Iggy1979 » 1 month ago

I don't think Boswell is doing any scouts, which means Cox and Moore are doing them all where they used to split them between the 3 assistants.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

Rhody83
Art Stephenson
Posts: 837
Joined: 3 years ago
x 370

Re: Tom Moore

Postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

Iggy1979 wrote:I don't think Boswell is doing any scouts, which means Cox and Moore are doing them all where they used to split them between the 3 assistants.


That is good. Last night Moore must have done the scout. He was up calling out info to the players and Cox was sitting further down the bench.
1 x

PeteRI
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 463
Joined: 2 years ago
x 280

Re: Tom Moore

Postby PeteRI » 1 month ago

Thanks for the link. Dan is really building a first-class organization.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9437
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2920

Re: Tom Moore

Postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I don't think Boswell is doing any scouts, which means Cox and Moore are doing them all where they used to split them between the 3 assistants.


That is good. Last night Moore must have done the scout. He was up calling out info to the players and Cox was sitting further down the bench.


We had the same observation at the GMU game - to the point where at times if you just arrived at the arena off a space ship or something you'd think Moore was the HC the way he was comporting himself on the sideline.

That is not a knock, by the way. It's awesome we have another guy on the bench that is head coach quality. Makes Dan's life so much easier, I'm sure, and it is clearly not hurting the on-court product at all. No reason to pick on a guy who is not around anymore, but I did feel there was some pattern to let downs coming in games where Carr had the scout. Certainly could be coincidence but whatever the reason there have been fewer of those this season.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8960
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1434

Re: Tom Moore

Postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

Going from Carr to Moore is an incredible upgrade, in all phases of what an assistant coach does.
0 x

User avatar
adam914
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 6103
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: San Diego, CA
x 1533

Re: Tom Moore

Postby adam914 » 1 month ago

TruePoint wrote:That is not a knock, by the way. It's awesome we have another guy on the bench that is head coach quality. Makes Dan's life so much easier, I'm sure, and it is clearly not hurting the on-court product at all. No reason to pick on a guy who is not around anymore, but I did feel there was some pattern to let downs coming in games where Carr had the scout. Certainly could be coincidence but whatever the reason there have been fewer of those this season.


Yeah, not to turn this into a Carr thread or anything, but I think your last point there is pretty valid. My memory could be failing me, but I even want to say they took him off of the scouting games later in the season.
0 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 4355
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1366

Re: Tom Moore

Postby RhowdyRam02 » 1 month ago

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I don't think Boswell is doing any scouts, which means Cox and Moore are doing them all where they used to split them between the 3 assistants.


That is good. Last night Moore must have done the scout. He was up calling out info to the players and Cox was sitting further down the bench.


We had the same observation at the GMU game - to the point where at times if you just arrived at the arena off a space ship or something you'd think Moore was the HC the way he was comporting himself on the sideline.

That is not a knock, by the way. It's awesome we have another guy on the bench that is head coach quality. Makes Dan's life so much easier, I'm sure, and it is clearly not hurting the on-court product at all. No reason to pick on a guy who is not around anymore, but I did feel there was some pattern to let downs coming in games where Carr had the scout. Certainly could be coincidence but whatever the reason there have been fewer of those this season.


That's why the last couple years I've tried to have a thread to keep track of the scout, but it's never maintained traction
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
ace
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5588
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1186

Re: Tom Moore

Postby ace » 1 month ago

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I don't think Boswell is doing any scouts, which means Cox and Moore are doing them all where they used to split them between the 3 assistants.


That is good. Last night Moore must have done the scout. He was up calling out info to the players and Cox was sitting further down the bench.


We had the same observation at the GMU game - to the point where at times if you just arrived at the arena off a space ship or something you'd think Moore was the HC the way he was comporting himself on the sideline.

That is not a knock, by the way. It's awesome we have another guy on the bench that is head coach quality. Makes Dan's life so much easier, I'm sure, and it is clearly not hurting the on-court product at all.


It’s also indicative of a really connected staff and a secure head coach. Not all head coaches are ok with a guy on the bench who has more experience or who could be seen as able to do their job. I think Dan does see it as a positive. He knows Moore’s likely to be a head coach again but is taking advantage of his time with them in an assistant role. As noted in the article, Moore’s also learning and will be able to take away things he’s picked up at URI when he moves on.
4 x
“... playing for one another. We’re like a brotherhood. Everybody has each other’s back. If somebody’s down, we pick them up. If someone gets beat off the dribble, we step in. If somebody’s hot, we feed them the ball.” - Jeff Dowtin, 1/16/18

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3182
Joined: 5 years ago
x 536

Re: Tom Moore

Postby Iggy1979 » 1 month ago

Moore is a great guy and he'd never do anything that Dan wasn't comfortable with and Dan knows that. A great staff.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."


Return to “NCAAs or Bust!”