THE EARLY LINE URI VS UMASS

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

THE EARLY LINE URI VS UMASS

Unread post by luke »

The line is open early today and it is URI - 14 , a very large number . I certainly expect a win, but 14 may be too high .
However, a good shooting night could easily produce a cover of this spread . I would avoid such a large number just
the same.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI VS UMASS

Unread post by reef »

Seems too high to me also
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

fwiw, and posted this in another thread, but 9 of our last 13 A-10 wins have been by double figures. Given that historical performance the line appears less inflated. Umass is a young team, with limited offensive options...the possibility we could open up a sizable lead is real.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have come to find that the RPIForecase points are very close to what Vegas comes out with

In this game RPIForecast has the game URI by 14.8 points and a 91% chance of winning

UMASS RPI of 183.5

We should win and must win. I would take URI in this one more readily than I would have vs Charleston, Iona or FGSU
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

You make good points BAR, but I tend to stay away from big point spreads . I agree that URI could blow out UMASS by 20 or more,
but they could have a slight letdown after the Bonnies game and maybe have an off shooting night and win by 10 or 11.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Line is now up to - 15. No love for the Minutemen in Vegas.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think Vegas is finally on to us. Gonna be tough betting on the Rams the rest of the year.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......my therapist again said, stay away from Rhody giving those big numbers....but I said, “hey we are freakin good......”
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ramster wrote:I have come to find that the RPIForecase points are very close to what Vegas comes out with

In this game RPIForecast has the game URI by 14.8 points and a 91% chance of winning

UMASS RPI of 183.5

We should win and must win. I would take URI in this one more readily than I would have vs Charleston, Iona or FGSU
RPI Forecast uses the Sagarin Predictor ratings for its probabilities and simulations of future games. Sagarin is very well respected.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote:......my therapist again said, stay away from Rhody giving those big numbers....but I said, “hey we are freakin good......”
true dat
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Only 2 games have had larger point spreads than the 15 points tonight:
URI over Brown by 20: URI covered winning by 24
URI over George Mason by 17.5: URI covered winning by 19
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

It seems to me that so far Hurley has not been one to give the deeper bench players/scrubs a lot of time when we are up big later in games, which may keep the blowout margins big.

That being said, you never know with these mid-teen point spreads. I stay away!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good point on the bench. But I have never, in all my years of following URI, seen a bench as deep as what Hurley has assembled. He can go 10 deep and he STILL has 3-star players on the floor. Baron would have at most two or three 3-star players on the floor with his 1st unit because that is all he had.
His 1st unit is Mathews, Terrell, Dowtin, Robinson and Berry BUT
Look at his 2nd unit of Garrett, Russell, Akele, Langevine and Preston/Langevine. That group right there could form a very good A10 Team all by itself.
In addition, that 2nd unit tries to play defense just as hard as the 1st unit. They are playing for more future minutes.
This is why I think this team has a good opportunity to beat the high end of high point spreads
2 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Line is down to a consensus 12.5 meaning the wise guys have played UMass....may be a good oppurtunity to get URI on the cheap.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

15 on the overnight line down to 12.5 which seems more reasonable
0 x