Kevin MacNamara’s justification for not voting for Rhody

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Kevin MacNamara’s justification for not voting for Rhody

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A few points about the Journal’s senior writer covering college basketball for the State of RI.
1) His justification for voting for FSU is he has seen them a lot and likes their talent. FSU lost to BC tonight and is 2-4 in the ACC. URI is in his State. He should see them more. He has been to two games at the RC - one to watch his Friars and Sat Bonnies game. How did we look Kevin?
2) Justification for Creighton is their Top 50 wins (PC, Bulter & UCLA) are better than Rhody’s (PC, Seton Hall & Bonnies). That is debatable. Also Creighton lost to Seton Hall.
3) He justifes URI’s exclusion about the lack of strength of schedule in the A10. This hasn’t happened yet but he penalized them like it did. Rhody’s SOS is 24, Creighton is 79 and FSU is 93.
4) The best for last. He writes an article about URI missing out on Top 25 but ends the article with comments about his Friars - “Interestingly, both of the brackets have the Providence Friars in the field as well, as an 11 seed. The Friars host Butler at the Dunk today at 4:30 while URI hosts Massachusetts Wednesday night.”

He does a podcast with Bill Koch and states that his comments on URI are based on his review of the box score because he didn’t watch the game.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -in-top-25
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Kevin MacNamara’s justification for not voting for Rhody

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

He always says he didn’t see the game even though these days it’s so easy to see every single game between dvr and WatchESPN. Koch watches all the games from both Rhody and PC and it shows in his preparation for these podcasts.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I expect to see Keaney Blue well represented in the comments section tomorrow. 8-)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Boo lil Kevi you big east schill
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeteRI wrote:I expect to see Keaney Blue well represented in the comments section tomorrow. 8-)
A waste of time responding in the PC Journal. Respond on Twitter.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

He’s a LOSER!!! He knows it.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:A few points about the Journal’s senior writer covering college basketball for the State of RI.
1) His justification for voting for FSU is he has seen them a lot and likes their talent. FSU lost to BC tonight and is 2-4 in the ACC. URI is in his State. He should see them more. He has been to two games at the RC - one to watch his Friars and Sat Bonnies game. How did we look Kevin?
2) Justification for Creighton is their Top 50 wins (PC, Bulter & UCLA) are better than Rhody’s (PC, Seton Hall & Bonnies). That is debatable. Also Creighton lost to Seton Hall.
3) He justifes URI’s exclusion about the lack of strength of schedule in the A10. This hasn’t happened yet but he penalized them like it did. Rhody’s SOS is 24, Creighton is 79 and FSU is 93.
4) The best for last. He writes an article about URI missing out on Top 25 but ends the article with comments about his Friars - “Interestingly, both of the brackets have the Providence Friars in the field as well, as an 11 seed. The Friars host Butler at the Dunk today at 4:30 while URI hosts Massachusetts Wednesday night.”
He does a podcast with Bill Koch and states that his comments on URI are based on his review of the box score because he didn’t watch the game.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -in-top-25
The rational these two writers of the Projo use can be debated and these are good points. But for these guys being from this state I think that my rational makes the most sense for URI being ranked.
It will not sit well with some KB members who tend to criticize EC as much as any URI player I can think of, but here goes..................

- EC Mathews was dominant in last years A10 Tournament - received the MVP with no argument from anyone.
- He was awesome in the huge Davidson win at the end of the season going into the A10 Tourney.
- In the Nevada loss he was pulled down hard to the floor and no foul called. Went out at 1:45 left. Back in at 1:15. Had hit 2-2 FTs, then missed 2 FTs. He came back into the game even though he was hurt because he wanted to play and win so badly. BUT he had a fractured left hand. Nobody knew. Could URI have beaten Nevada with a non-fracture EC? Who knows. Maybe?

- EC did not play 6 games. Could URI have beaten Seton Hall by more than 1 point? I would say yes
- Could URI have beaten Virginia with EC? I would say yes. Plus Cyril Langevine did not play either. The rebounding from both of these players is very important to this team. EC's last 6 games rebounds: 6,5,6,6,4,9. Yes, 9 rebounds in the huge game with St Bonaventure. Put EC on Isaiah Wilkins who went off on us. OR put Langevine on Wilkins. We could have won this game with both of them - and they are ranked #2 in the Nation.
- Could URI have beaten PC by more than 7 with EC? I would say Yes
- Could URI have beaten Alabama with EC? Absolutely!!! We only lost by 4 points.

Sun 11/19 vs HOLY CROSS W 88-66 Did not play
Thu 11/23 vs #20 SETON HALL W 75-74 Did not play
Fri 11/24 vs UVA L 70-55 Did not play
Tue 11/28 vs BROWN W 86-62 Did not play
Sat 12/2 vs PROVIDENCE W 75-68 Did not play
Wed 12/6 @ ALABAMA L 68-64 Did not play

With EC back URI has run off 8 straight wins. Let that sink in.

So with all the statistics, comparing what other teams have done, RPI, Ken Pom, blah, blah, blah just consider URI was impacted in all 3 of their losses by the EC Fracture. Last 1:45 vs Nevada, then against Virginia and Alabama. Now 8 straight wins with EC back and the team at full strength

So Kevin Mac can look ahead and say the A10 is weak. So what. I can look back and say URI's RPI Forecast OOC Strength of Schedule was 6, PC's OOCSOS was 91. And URI played 6 games without their A10 Tournament MVP, and missed Cyril Langevine vs Virginia.

URI is on a roll. 8 straight wins. All guys healthy. Team made up of 3 and 4 star players. Depth to 9 or 10 players. Experience. Solid Head Coach and Assistant Coaches. Fans now filling up the Ryan Center.

So to say the A10 looks weak is in itself pretty weak.

Just like last year Kevin Mac underestimated URI as did many others. You would think he would have learned by now. Something special is brewing right here in his home state, right under his nose but he can't see it through his Friar Rose Colored Glasses.

No problem though. As URI showed last year they are at their best when their backs are to the wall, when others doubt them.

Enjoy the ride people. And trust me, EC Mathews is a very good basketball player. Just watch the next 2 months

http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Whatever, I actually feel bad for this guy, he makes himself look dumb so often, whatever shred of credibility he has left is fleeting fast.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and he was at the Ryan Center Saturday. You could sit there and watch this URI Team surgically dismantle a good St Bonaventure Team - right in front of his eyes.

But hey, he missed the URI boat last year with the A10 Tournament Championship and then the Creighton win and the almost Oregon win.

Maybe writers should switch coverage and not cover the same team year after year.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Similar rational to what I used. But EC was also hurt the last 1:45 of the Nevada game too. Maybe URI doesn’t win but then Duquesne scored 6 points in the last 30 seconds vs LaSalle too. Never know if EC did not play with the fracture.
Plus Langevine did not play vs Virginia.

URI is a dangerous team right now.

25. Rhode Island Rams
Record: 13-3
Last week: NR
A blowout win over St. Bonaventure on Saturday essentially confirmed the Rams are the clear-cut favorite in the Atlantic 10, as they have now won eight in a row. More important, they are 9-1 with E.C. Matthews on the floor, with the lone loss coming at Nevada. A neutral-court win over Seton Hall looks solid on the profile, too.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ight-scary
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Projo Pod Cast Team should look at this. Time for Projo writers to get on board and enjoy the ride.

Last week URI #25, this week #18.

18. Rhode Island (25): The Rams are going to win the A-10 regular-season title. I said it. I believe it. I don’t see anything derailing them from doing it. URI is the class of the league. They had a great week by winning at St. Louis and then beating St. Bonaventure by 14 at home, the same Bonnies who were supposed to challenge them for the title but now have three losses in the league to the Rams’ zero. A rising UMass is on tap Wednesday before a road game at Dayton, that always proves to be difficult. Still, the Rams will win the league. Book it.

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Awful.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

McNamara isn't going to give us the benefit of the doubt.

He just isn't.

I really don't care anyway....we have to keep winning.....if we do, he'll have to acknowledge us at some point.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There is only ONE reason why McNamara is keeping URI out of his top 25 vote - BECAUSE HE CAN.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Kmac doesn't natter.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'm not justifying KMAC's inability to fairly assess a team in his own coverage area, but I do think the biggest thing that's probably hurt URI is that since December 1st, they really haven't had a win that excited "national" people. The only two wins that stand-out are PC and St. Bonaventure, but PC basically collapsed after that game only to start to turn it around in the last few weeks, and St. Bonaventure has had a terrible start to A10 play and if postseason started today, would probably be a #3 or #4 seed in the NIT. There hasn't been a game in there to really create the "bump" effect, so it's been extra imperative for the team to play consistent and go on a little run here. There is definitely a major conference bias, - It's not URI's fault that Creighton has played 3 Top 50 games and faced an average opponent RPI of 60 during conference play, while URI has faced 1 Top 50 team and an average RPI opponent of 170 in conference play, but I think that definitely has something to do with the overall lack of respect.

You'll get the last laugh in the tournament when you are underseeded by probably 3 or 4 seeds and knock out a big dog in the 2nd round.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We aren't talking about "national" people, we are talking about our own local reporter. By all metrics it is splitting hairs between Creighton and URI, but the local guy if he had seen both teams play should be able to layer on a personal assessment based on what he sees. And yes if it's basically a toss up I would guess 9 out of 10 local guys would give the nod to the team in their area...but not our BE homer. It is what it is, he said it himself, his opinion matters little to our eventual performance.
4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I'm not justifying KMAC's inability to fairly assess a team in his own coverage area, but I do think the biggest thing that's probably hurt URI is that since December 1st, they really haven't had a win that excited "national" people. The only two wins that stand-out are PC and St. Bonaventure, but PC basically collapsed after that game only to start to turn it around in the last few weeks, and St. Bonaventure has had a terrible start to A10 play and if postseason started today, would probably be a #3 or #4 seed in the NIT. There hasn't been a game in there to really create the "bump" effect, so it's been extra imperative for the team to play consistent and go on a little run here. There is definitely a major conference bias, - It's not URI's fault that Creighton has played 3 Top 50 games and faced an average opponent RPI of 60 during conference play, while URI has faced 1 Top 50 team and an average RPI opponent of 170 in conference play, but I think that definitely has something to do with the overall lack of respect.

You'll get the last laugh in the tournament when you are underseeded by probably 3 or 4 seeds and knock out a big dog in the 2nd round.
problem is that's just lazy journalism...because despite the bolded above URI still has a better record against a tougher overall schedule.

Rhode Island: 14 RPI, 13-3, 23rd in SOS, best win is #12, worst loss is #38, 3-3 vs Top 50
Creighton: 31 RPI, 14-4, 73rd in SOS, best win is #32, worst loss is #86, 3-2 vs Top 50

50 spots in SOS is a big gap, especially since there is no record difference.
6 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But again RJ,
Kevin Mac lives in RI. He was at the St Bonaventure Game to see first hand how great URI played. He is a big boy, he lives in RI, it's his decision and his alone as to where to vote URI.
But if you consider EC Mathews AND Cyril Langevine did not play against Virginia, EC Mathews did not play against Seton Hall or Alabama. Just think.

In past 9 months URI is 3-0 against your Big East having beaten Creighton, PC and Seton Hall.

Kevin Mac missed on URI last year, same thing where others were voting URI into the Top 25 and he was not, and justifying why then as well - to his credit he tries to explain his vote. But he was wrong. URI went on to win the A10 and then beat Creighton and would have beaten Oregon had Hassan Martin not been hurt.

So it surprises me that Kevin Mac would not be voting URI to the Top 25 this year after last year's voting performance
8 Straight wins. Undefeated since EC Mathews return from the fracture. Wins against several projected Conference Champions and NCAA Participants.
6th ranked toughest OCC Schedule in the Country.

You would think that your home town Reporter would see this. See that with EC Mathews back and 8 straight victories with him, the unselfish play, the health returning to Cyril Langevine, the continued growth of Dan Hurley as a Head Coach, the veteran line up URI possesses, the A10 Tournament and NCAA Post Season success of last year - would all weigh on the Home Town Reporter. But he has to see more.

Ok, no prob, so be it. Locker Room Material it is.

1 Villanova (63) 16-1 1,623
2 Virginia (1) 16-1 1,527
3 Purdue (1) 17-2 1,411
4 Oklahoma 14-2 1,371
5 Duke 15-2 1,319
6 West Virginia 15-2 1,304
7 Wichita State 15-2 1,283
8 Texas Tech 15-2 1,276
9 Michigan State 16-3 1,062
10 Kansas 14-3 1,032
11 Xavier 16-3 928
12 Cincinnati 15-2 858
13 Gonzaga 16-3 829
14 Arizona 14-4 723
15 North Carolina 14-4 666
16 Arizona State 14-3 639
17 Auburn 16-1 523
18 Kentucky 14-3 487
19 Seton Hall 15-3 455
20 Clemson 15-2 444
21 Tennessee 12-4 358
22 Ohio State 15-4 276
23 Michigan 15-4 233
24 TCU 13-4 196
25 Miami 13-3 143
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:[

problem is that's just lazy journalism...because despite the bolded above URI still has a better record against a tougher overall schedule.

Rhode Island: 14 RPI, 13-3, 23rd in SOS, best win is #12, worst loss is #38, 3-3 vs Top 50
Creighton: 31 RPI, 14-4, 73rd in SOS, best win is #32, worst loss is #86, 3-2 vs Top 50

I agree with all of that but you have to remember that the Top 25 is not a yearly assessment but more of a "what have you done for me lately."
So while URI might have the better season-to-date resume, the boxes these guys check off is what did you do last week and who did you beat?
It's how it's always been, and it's how it always will be. I'm not saying that's right, just how it's worked as long as I can remember.

Also don't mistake, I don't get the KMAC omission, so I'm not defending that, but obviously KMAC wasn't the difference between being ranked and unranked. Heck, KMAC would have had to have ranked URI #8th in the country and Creighton unranked for URI to just pass the CU.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:

I agree with all of that but you have to remember that the Top 25 is not a yearly assessment but more of a "what have you done for me lately."
So while URI might have the better season-to-date resume, the boxes these guys check off is what did you do last week and who did you beat?
It's how it's always been, and it's how it always will be. I'm not saying that's right, just how it's worked as long as I can remember.

Also don't mistake, I don't get the KMAC omission, so I'm not defending that, but obviously KMAC wasn't the difference between being ranked and unranked. Heck, KMAC would have had to have ranked URI #8th in the country and Creighton unranked for URI to just pass the CU.
But KMAC is the hometown reporter. He knows all there is to know about URI.
He was at the St Bonaventure dismantling on Saturday to see with his own eyes.

It's his vote. He owns it.

But to his credit, Kevin Mac predicted URI would beat PC, Bill Koch predicted PC would win - for what that's worth.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

He's irrelevant.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:

You are right, it's a what have you done for me lately, and lately Creighton got butt whopped by Xavier where we just continue to win.
It's a bias, whether conscious or unconscious, it behooves him to prop up the BE and he does his best to do that.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

If Creighton wasn’t a Big East program, he would of had URI over Creighton for that last spot.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I think we can all agree KMAC's logical foundation is at best pretty suspect.

What really surprises me is people are using Kenpom as a metric to determine a teams rankings. IMO, people misuse these advance Metrics. Kenpom can be great and IMO, he helped me win my tourney pool about 5 years ago. For one thing college basketball is a vastly different say then say MLB and imo, can't be broken down to "0s or 1s" in quite the same way.

I feel like, especially at this point taking anything beyond generalizations "This team is pretty good at Defense", or "This team does not take man 3 point attempts and is mediocre at Offense" is really silly imo. I bet Pomeroy would likely say the same things himself.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

EGram wrote:I think we can all agree KMAC's logical foundation is at best pretty suspect.

What really surprises me is people are using Kenpom as a metric to determine a teams rankings. IMO, people misuse these advance Metrics. Kenpom can be great and IMO, he helped me win my tourney pool about 5 years ago. For one thing college basketball is a vastly different say then say MLB and imo, can't be broken down to "0s or 1s" in quite the same way.

I feel like, especially at this point taking anything beyond generalizations "This team is pretty good at Defense", or "This team does not take man 3 point attempts and is mediocre at Offense" is really silly imo. I bet Pomeroy would likely say the same things himself.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... new-metric

I think the NCAA disagrees with you. Advanced metrics will become the basis for team selection into the tournament.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Can URI stop giving him press passes to the games he decides to show up to? Ban him and Frank Carpano.
At least Bill Koch will be there to cover the game so we are not really losing coverage.
0 x
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodysk wrote:Can URI stop giving him press passes to the games he decides to show up to? Ban him and Frank Carpano.
At least Bill Koch will be there to cover the game so we are not really losing coverage.
0 x
That would be petty and unprofessional. We may disagree with his opinion, but that's all it is, his opinion.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

EGram wrote:I think we can all agree KMAC's logical foundation is at best pretty suspect.

I think with Kenpom's system, and most advanced metrics in general, the creators aren't always going for perfect. They're simply trying for better, and in most cases, I think his rankings are better than RPI. Also, with all college sports you have sample size issues. Teams play around 30 games a year, which is about a third of the length of an NBA season, and the end of year tournaments are single elimination.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I know it sounds petty but I’m tired of these kind of people putting down the STATE university. They should be selling it and being positive even if they lost all there games.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's okay. We will just keep winning until he can't not vote for us.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We don't need this guys vote. In fact, I hope he never votes for us.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

KMac doesn’t watch the games even in his own state, never mind games elsewhere, even with every technological advantage these days.

He seems to use his ballot to make statements. 6 of his 25 teams are “extreme” in that they were 5 or more spots from actual position.

http://www.collegepolltracker.com/baske ... 17/week-11
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Let's assume for a second that URI was in the Big East this year. I would think that Kevin McNamara would think URI, based on early season results of URI, head-to-head matchups, and results from other Big East teams, would fit into the top five of the Big East standings something like...

1. Nova
2. Xavier
3. URI
4. Seton Hall
5. Creighton

Right? That seems logical. Maybe he thinks the win over Seton Hall on neutral court was a fluke. So URI would be 4th? 5th at worst you would think? And based off of that, shouldn't Kevin conclude that a 3rd-5th place Big East team is worthy of a top-25 vote? Maybe I'm missing something.

I'll agree with KMac. I like Florida State's talent. That's about it. They beat a Florida team that has gone the wrong direction and beat a soft UNC team at home. I don't see the impressive resume nor a tough non-conference slate. I do know that Leonard Hamilton's team tend to stink in the NCAA tourney.

Has he seen a lot of Ohio State? Home wins over Michigan and Michigan State. Great wins. Nothing accomplished away from Columbus. Down year in the Big Ten...does he consider that?

Creighton...wins over Northwestern (in the tank this year), lost to Baylor (fading in the Big 12), losses to all ranked opponents except UCLA, which was 23rd at the time and now not ranked. Wow...those Blue Jays are blowing me away. That's so impressive.

KMac is clearly trolling the URI fan base by not voting for the Rams. He's doing it quite well.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nah, I disagree. URI beat Seton Hall without EC Mathews and Langevine - it was no fluke. URI Beat PC. URI Beat Creighton in March. That's 3 straight wins over Big East Teams.
Kevin is not Trolling. He’s just not objective that’s all. Can’t see the forest through the trees.

Used to be we would get recruiting news on PC and URI from the Projo but those times have changed completely.

Who the true Top 25 Teams has also changed completely too. Now have analytics that don't contain the bias of individual reporters, Coaches, fans......

I love Newspapers but it's a new world of instantaneous communications on recruiting, and improved analytics for Team Rankings like RPIForecast, KenPom, Sagarin........
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

He's just following orders from his kennel-masters at the former mental hospital. Good boy, Li'l Kevie!
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:Nah, I disagree. URI beat Seton Hall without EC Mathews and Langevine - it was no fluke. URI Beat PC. URI Beat Creighton in March. That's 3 straight wins over Big East Teams.
Kevin is not Trolling. He’s just not objective that’s all. Can’t see the forest through the trees.

Used to be we would get recruiting news on PC and URI from the Projo but those times have changed completely.

Who the true Top 25 Teams has also changed completely too. Now have analytics that don't contain the bias of individual reporters, Coaches, fans......

I love Newspapers but it's a new world of instantaneous communications on recruiting, and improved analytics for Team Rankings like RPIForecast, KenPom, Sagarin........
Well the majority of the advanced metrics don't have us as a top 25 team...

I really don't understand why so many people care about KMac's vote. Even if he put us at number 1 and bumped Creighton out we'd still be behind Creighton in the current poll but as always, people on here will find something to bitch and moan about.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:Nah, I disagree. URI beat Seton Hall without EC Mathews and Langevine - it was no fluke. URI Beat PC. URI Beat Creighton in March. That's 3 straight wins over Big East Teams.

Well the majority of the advanced metrics don't have us as a top 25 team...

I really don't understand why so many people care about KMac's vote. Even if he put us at number 1 and bumped Creighton out we'd still be behind Creighton in the current poll but as always, people on here will find something to bitch and moan about.
Josephski,
This thread was started by Rhody83, who started it because Kevin Mac himself wrote an article describing why HE left URI out of the Top 25 in his vote. So naturally we have URI Posters reviewing Kevin Mac's own logic and offering up their opinions. You can call that "bitching and moaning" if you want.
Fact is Kevin Mac underestimated URI just this past season. Never did he think URI would perform as well as they did to win the A10, and go on to the NCAA Tournament as successfully as they did. So now he is, imho, underestimating URI again.

Look at the last 4 Teams he voted in, admittedly voted in. Very weak OOC Schedules played by Florida State and Creighton and their Live RPI's of 45 and 29 respectively pale compared to URI Live RPI of 13.

URI Live RPI is better than all 4 of these teams Kevin voted in ahead of URI. Kevin is admittedly counting on the future games for these teams having higher rated RPIs than URI will have in the A10. Makes sense, but they have not played the games yet.

Then consider URI played this tough OOC Schedule and performed well with OOC SOS of 14 and OOC Actual RPI of 13. BUT shouldn't Kevin or any voter consider EC Mathews and Cyril Langevine did not play against #3 ROI Virginia? and that EC did not play against #38 RPI Alabama? Even in the win against #11 RPI Seton Hall, EC Mathews did not play. Or against #39 RPI Providence.
PLUS, URI is on a roll with 8 straight victories and 8 straight games that EC has returned to the Line up following his fracture. URI is rolling.
I don't call that Bitching and Moaning. The facts are the facts. We can agree to disagree about what the facts say.

22. Ohio State: OOC SOS = 33: OOC RPI = 69: Live RPI = 23
23. Kentucky: OOC SOS = 14: OOC RPI = 13: Live RPI = 14
24. Florida St: OOC SOS = 269: OOC RPI = 58: Live RPI = 45
25. Creighton: OOC SOS = 229: OOC RPI = 66: Live RPI = 29
None: URI: OOC SOS = 6: OOC RPI = 10: Live RPI = 13

Post by Rhody83 » 1 day ago
A few points about the Journal’s senior writer covering college basketball for the State of RI.

He does a podcast with Bill Koch and states that his comments on URI are based on his review of the box score because he didn’t watch the game
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Look Ramster, I think URI should be in the top 25. Fact is the majority of voters don't think so. If people want to go after KMac then why not go after every voter who didn't include us?

Also here are some other stats Ramster:

22. Ohio State : Kenpom 14 : Sagarin 22 : BPI 19
23. Kentucky : Kenpom 29 : Sagarin 19 : BPI 35
24. Florida St : Kenpom 31 : Sagarin 26 : BPI 28
25. Creighton : Kenpom 22 : Sagarin 17 : BPI 14
None: URI : Kenpom 34 : Sagarin 39 : BPI 37

And to be clear I'm happy our RPI is so high but it's clearly an outlier compared to other metrics.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

josephski wrote:Look Ramster, I think URI should be in the top 25. Fact is the majority of voters don't think so. If people want to go after KMac then why not go after every voter who didn't include us?

And to be clear I'm happy our RPI is so high but it's clearly an outlier compared to other metrics.
There is a discussion about KMac, because he is the local reporter with a vote who wrote an article specifically explaining why he left URI out of the top 25.

I posted this in another thread, but IMO the issue with the article is his logic. You are correct about the advanced stats and that is a perfectly reasonable explanation for including any of the top 25 teams over Rhody. However, the basis for KMac's entire argument utilized RPI top 50 wins as the deciding factor (in which he claimed that Creighton's wins were better than Rhody's - which they aren't per the RPI.

If he wats to use the advanced metrics as a reasoning for Creighton over URI, then that's perfectly fine. However, he can't use RPI metrics as a justification, when Rhody's RPI metrics are better than Creighton's.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:Look Ramster, I think URI should be in the top 25. Fact is the majority of voters don't think so. If people want to go after KMac then why not go after every voter who didn't include us?

Because, This thread is about the article the Kevin put in the Projo this week to explain his vote. If he had not put the article in the Projo this thread would not exist.
I am not going after any other voters because the other voters did not write an article in the Projo explaining their logic.

and just for the record for Kevin's last 4 teams:
Florida State lost Monday night to Boston College. FSU has now lost 3 of last 4, 4 of last 6
Kentucky lost Tuesday night to South Carolina
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shaolin Swat wrote:

There is a discussion about KMac, because he is the local reporter with a vote who wrote an article specifically explaining why he left URI out of the top 25.

I posted this in another thread, but IMO the issue with the article is his logic. You are correct about the advanced stats and that is a perfectly reasonable explanation for including any of the top 25 teams over Rhody. However, the basis for KMac's entire argument utilized RPI top 50 wins as the deciding factor (in which he claimed that Creighton's wins were better than Rhody's - which they aren't per the RPI.

If he wats to use the advanced metrics as a reasoning for Creighton over URI, then that's perfectly fine. However, he can't use RPI metrics as a justification, when Rhody's RPI metrics are better than Creighton's.
what he said
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Shaolin Swat wrote:

No where in his article does he say Creighton's wins are better than Rhody's based on RPI. He says in the very beginning of the article he uses multiple metrics like Kenpom, RPI, NCAA nittygritty sheets and other rankings from media members. He does post the RPI rankings of our three best win but reading that article it does not sound like he only used RPI to decide who's wins were better.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

While it has been floated around in the past about pulling press credentials it will never happen. (Donaldson)

One thing we know is that journalists stick together. If you think the projo isn't helpful now just wait and see how bad they get after we do that.

The national guys might also pick up on it. You don't pick fights with people who buy their ink by the barrel.

The next day this would be the headline above the fold.

State University basketball coach highest paid state employee.
Is it worth it? Or should taxpayers dollars go for something else?

I have no doubt that article is already written and sitting in their back pocket for when URI makes a strong effort to keep Dan.

If we win tonight and Saturday we will be in regardless of Kevin's vote.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

josephski wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:

No where in his article does he say Creighton's wins are better than Rhody's based on RPI. He says in the very beginning of the article he uses multiple metrics like Kenpom, RPI, NCAA nittygritty sheets and other rankings from media members. He does post the RPI rankings of our three best win but reading that article it does not sound like he only used RPI to decide who's wins were better.
He doesn't explicitly state it, but his justification given in the article for Creighton over URI is solely RPI based. He says that the deciding factor was that Creighton's three top 50 wins were better than URI's three top 50 wins and listed the RPI of each team. The metric in which both teams have three top 50 wins is RPI, meaning that he is using RPI as a justification for putting Creighton over URI. The other metrics don't credit either team with having three top-50 wins.

It's fine if he includes Creighton over URI because of the other rankings, since they are really close. However, if that's the case, he shouldn't use RPI as his justification. His article gives no proof that he looks at anything other than the RPI, which favors URi.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Honestly who the hell cares if he didn’t include us, he’s not the only one.

If he didn’t include us AND offered no explanation, I guarantee everyone would demand an explanation out of him.

He gave us one, yet we’re still not satisfied with it.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Game day!! On to UMASS!
I
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:Honestly who the hell cares if he didn’t include us, he’s not the only one.

If he didn’t include us AND offered no explanation, I guarantee everyone would demand an explanation out of him.

That is right. Because as ShaolinSwat clearly states in the previous post, his logic was not accurate. It's not whether or not he stated his logic, it's that his logic was flawed.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote:Honestly who the hell cares if he didn’t include us, he’s not the only one.

I wouldn't have cared if he gave no explanation. The fact that he gave a very faulty explanation that partially shows the opposite is why I have a problem. You can't say it's based on RPI when URI's RPI is better. You can't say Creighton's 3 top 50 wins are better, because you can make a very good argument that URI's is better (and one of URI's top 50 wins in turn beat Creighton). Add the fact that he only watched 2 URI games and otherwise looked at the box score all adds up to very faulty reasoning. It's like he threw a bunch of ideas together last second to attempt to justify his vote, when most of us wouldn't have cared otherwise.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote:

I wouldn't have cared if he gave no explanation. The fact that he gave a very faulty explanation that partially shows the opposite is why I have a problem. You can't say it's based on RPI when URI's RPI is better. You can't say Creighton's 3 top 50 wins are better, because you can make a very good argument that URI's is better (and one of URI's top 50 wins in turn beat Creighton). Add the fact that he only watched 2 URI games and otherwise looked at the box score all adds up to very faulty reasoning. It's like he threw a bunch of ideas together last second to attempt to justify his vote, when most of us wouldn't have cared otherwise.
Hell Yeah.jpg
Hell Yeah.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
1 x