Week #11 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #11 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

As Week #11 begins, URI continues as the only A-10 school getting votes in the national polls. The Rams now get 39 votes in the AP poll, position number 27 just behind Creighton. In the USA Today polls, URI gets 16 votes. Virginia moves up to #2 in both polls. With the loss to Marquette, Seton Hall falls to #19 in both polls. Nevada gets 23 votes in the AP poll and 23 votes in the coaches' poll. No other URI OOC opponent is getting votes.

Villanova remains the #1 leader in both polls.

The cumulative won-lost records of URI OOC opponents now stands at 126-68, 0.649 slightly up from the previous week.

The key ratings for URI at the start of Week #11 are:

RPI - 14, up six. The expected RPI is 19.
BPI - 36, up three.
Sagarin - 39, stable.
Pomeroy - 34, up five.

On Martin Luther King Day, there are no games scheduled in the A-10.

Only two games among URI OOC opponents:

Butler at PC. 4:30 PM. On FS1.

Charleston Southern at UNC Asheville. 7 PM. On ESPN3.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Re: Week #11 - Games of Interest

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I think URI is 34 on KenPom. Made a huge leap after the Bonnie ass kicking.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

14 RPI what a great time to be a URI fan !!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks Rhodykyle for the catch. I had changed the differential versus previous week, but forgot to change the actual rating. Made the correction.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Down by four at the half, PC comes out roaring in the second half to take Butler to the woodshed, 70-60.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote:Down by four at the half, pc comes out roaring in the second half to take Butler to the woodshed, 70-60.
Fixed it for you.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PC beats Butler by 10. Some fans can't go home because of a shooting at Providence Place mall, resulting in the closure of the mall parking lot.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:PC beats Butler by 10. Some fans can't go home because of a shooting at Providence Place mall, resulting in the closure of the mall parking lot.
I would but I won't, because Providence is such a nice city. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

theblueram wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:PC beats Butler by 10. Some fans can't go home because of a shooting at Providence Place mall, resulting in the closure of the mall parking lot.
I would but I won't, because Providence is such a nice city. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I feel safer in NYC than I do in Providence.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Duke with a crazy comeback beating #25 Miami helps us in our quest for the top 25...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes we win our next 2 there is no way we don't get in next week
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

On Tuesday there is no action in the A-10 or among URI OOC opponents:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Got to give former Ram Jim Christian some credit for the job he is doing at BC. They are now 13-6 with an RPI of #63 after thei win last night over Florida State. They also have an ACC win over Duke. Have only one bad loss to Nebraska. Other losses are to Texas Tech, Providence, Virginia, Clemson, and UNC. While they played a weak OOC SOS (#302), they are playing many of the ACC powers tough. Nobody expected much from them this year. They are far outperforming expectations thus far. It does not look like the Eagles will be searching for a new coach any time soon.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and BC lost Deontae Hawkins for the season wit a knee injury against Nebraska in the 8th game of the season. Hawkins was averaging 12 ppg and 9 rpg so a big loss for Christian.

Jerome Robinson and Jordan Chatman are shooting the lights out on Threes shooting 46% and 45% respectively
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since BC seems to be on the rise, time to get them back on our schedule.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Since BC seems to be on the rise, time to get them back on our schedule.

If BC wants to position itself for future NCAA at large bids, it will have to strengthen its OOC schedule. I would think they might start playing UMass again. With an alum as coach and URI on the upswing, perhaps URI is a consideration. If so, URI should now accept nothing less than an even home and home series.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In Wednesday night action in the A-10, besides URI hosting UMass:

Dayton at Saint Joseph's. 6:30 PM. On CBSSN.

Fordham at La Salle. 7 PM.

George Mason at George Washington. 7 PM.

Richmond at VCU. 7 PM.

Duquesne at Saint Louis. 8 PM>

Among URI OOC opponents:

#17 Auburn at Alabama. 7 PM. On SECN.

Army at Holy Cross. 7 PM.

#19 Seton Hall at Creighton. 8:30 PM. On FS1.

Nevada at San Jose State. 10:30 PM. On CBSSN.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Dayton loses by 16 at Saint Joes and VCU will probably get beat by double figures at home to Richmond. The struggles for the a10 continues.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

VCU is barely gonna hit 50 against Richmond. Disgusting
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Seton Hall down 20-6 early against Creighton...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bama just beat Auburn. A win for us and another top 25 team goes down.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Seton Hall trying to make a game of it. Currently down 10 at U16 timeout. Delgado has 3 fouls.

Torn on who to root for. Obviously SH winning helps us, but hard for me not to root for Preston Murphy (asst on Creighton).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote:Seton Hall trying to make a game of it. Currently down 10 at U16 timeout. Delgado has 3 fouls.

Torn on who to root for. Obviously SH winning helps us, but hard for me not to root for Preston Murphy (asst on Creighton).
Rodriguez, seton halls top scorer is just rotting on the bench and nobody knows why.

May not be able to come back without him.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Seton Hall trying to make a game of it. Currently down 10 at U16 timeout. Delgado has 3 fouls.

Rodriguez, seton halls top scorer is just rotting on the bench and nobody knows why.

May not be able to come back without him.
Creighton up 20 with at under 8. Over.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I checked the in-game live RPI on rpiforecast to see what happened to URI after the UMass game (up to #11! at least temporarily), and noticed Nevada's RPI dropped 6 spots from 15 to 21 just by virtue of their game tipping off. They're playing 3-14 San Jose State - and somehow they're in a rock fight in the second half, down 35-34 with about 13 minutes to go. They need to figure it out quick. Road conference games...I'm telling you, man.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nevada pulling away. Stay safe, Wolfpack!
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Decent results for us all around win on Saturday and we definitely are ranked come Monday
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Summarizing Wednesday night action among URI OOC opponents:

Alabama ended Auburn's 14 game win streak, 76-71.

Holy Cross won its second Patriot League game by beating Army, 70-66.

Creighton blitzed #19 Seton Hall, 80-63. The Pirates' Top 25 ranking now in jeopardy.

After a close first half, Nevada came back to record its 15th consecutive Mountain West win by beating San Jose State, 71-54.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What's happening at VCU? Lost by 15 to Richmond at home? Falling apart.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Seton Hall wake up
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

On the A10, since I've been able to watch basketball while understanding it, since about 2002, I've never seen a more unpredictable conference.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:Summarizing Wednesday night action among URI OOC opponents:

Alabama ended Auburn's 14 game win streak, 76-71.

Holy Cross won its second Patriot League game by beating Army, 70-66.

Creighton blitzed #19 Seton Hall, 80-63. The Pirates' Top 25 ranking now in jeopardy.

After a close first half, Nevada came back to record its 15th consecutive Mountain West win by beating San Jose State, 71-54.
and Alabama won without 2 starters: Colin Sexton and Donta Hall
http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/ind ... t_for.html
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Thursday night action in the A-10.

Among URI OOC opponents:

UNC-Wilmington at Charleston. 7 PM. Charleston with a conference record of 3-3 is trailing expectations. The Cougars need this win to get back into the race versus surprising William and Mary.

Florida Gulf Coast at Lipscomb. 7:30 PM. On ESPN3. FGCU is 3-0 in the Atlantic Sun and expectations were they would battle the conference title out with this very Lipscomb team, but the early going has not been kind to Lipscomb, and this game provides a great opportunity for an upset.

#2 Virginia at Georgia Tech. 8 PM. On ACNE.

UNC Asheville at Winthrop. 9 PM. On ESPNU. UNCA is tied for second place in the Big South and this road game against one of the conference's better teams will be a big challenge.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No player in St Louis Basketball History has ever had a triple - double. Freshman Jordan Goodwin got one last night with 15 rebounds, 13 points and 10 assists while playing the full 40 minutes.
A-10 has some excellent Freshmen this year.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/undefined
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Great second half comeback by Florida Gulf Coast to take a important road win at Lipscomb, 88-83. FGCU moves to 4-0 in the Atlantic Sun.

Despite losing a 17 point half time league, Charleston held on to beat UNC-Wilmington, 80-76. With the victory, Charleston closed in on CAA leader William & Mary which lost its second game in a row tonight.

#2 Virginia is on the way to its 17th win of the season as the Cavaliers lead Georgia Tech, 58-40 with less than five minutes remaining in game.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Nebraska up big on Michigan and Zags up a few on St Mary’s. Exactly what we need to happen.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Mary's defeats Gonzaga @ Gonzaga. St Mary's wins their 13th straight game. Now 18-2 this should put them in the Top 25
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok so it looks like 25 Miami 23 Michigan and 21 Tennessee would fall out of the rankings and could be replaced by Creighton URI and St Mary's ????
Also SH and ASU are close to be out of top 25 also
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The one caveat is URI has to beat Dayton on Saturday for any of that to happen.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

ramster wrote:No player in St Louis Basketball History has ever had a triple - double. Freshman Jordan Goodwin got one last night with 15 rebounds, 13 points and 10 assists while playing the full 40 minutes.

I think this is something that is very important as we talk about the A10 this year. With all the new coaches and lack of quality wins in the league this season, we are 2 or 3 years out from a banner season when all these freshmen become upperclassman.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The only Friday night action in the A-10 is St. Bonaventure visiting Davidson. 7 PM. ESPN2. It's time for the Bonnies to right the ship.

Among URI OOC opponents:

Iona at Monmouth. 7 PM. On ESPN3.

Yale at Brown. 8 PM. This is the second encounter between these two teams, as Brown lost the first by a whisker, so let's see if the Brown home court helps reverse that result.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

There has just been so much upheaval with the coaching positions.

VCU probably underperforming too-- them and Davidson probably should have had better OOCs. Bonnies just are overhyped because of the Olean fervor. The only time the Bonnies really BEAT URI was when we went on the road to Olean the year EC got hurt and they snuck up on us. The hero guard team configuration plays right into URI's hands. That style will defeat URI 1 in 50 chances with a team as configured. URI has had great percentages defending the 3 point line since EC played his first game.

Right now the worry has to be the field. Do you take URI winning the rest of the games or the field winning one here or there. Most would say the field. Time will tell.

Then going forward I would be weary of St Joes coming back. Martelli certainly has to go out on a high note and he must be going out soon? right? RIGHT? Maybe Davidson, Dayton, VCU, and St Louis. But nothing is set in stone. Lots of work to be done with these teams. Even just keeping players that turn out to be good as advertised or better. That Goodwin kid could jump ship at the end of the year and undermine Louis and the whole league.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:There has just been so much upheaval with the coaching positions.

VCU probably underperforming too-- them and Davidson probably should have had better OOCs. Bonnies just are overhyped because of the Olean fervor. The only time the Bonnies really BEAT URI was when we went on the road to Olean the year EC got hurt and they snuck up on us. The hero guard team configuration plays right into URI's hands. That style will defeat URI 1 in 50 chances with a team as configured. URI has had great percentages defending the 3 point line since EC played his first game.

Right now the worry has to be the field. Do you take URI winning the rest of the games or the field winning one here or there. Most would say the field. Time will tell.

Then going forward I would be weary of St Joes coming back. Martelli certainly has to go out on a high note and he must be going out soon? right? RIGHT? Maybe Davidson, Dayton, VCU, and St Louis. But nothing is set in stone. Lots of work to be done with these teams. Even just keeping players that turn out to be good as advertised or better. That Goodwin kid could jump ship at the end of the year and undermine Louis and the whole league.
Why would Goodwin leave St Louis? He was ranked #55 ESPN when he picked Saint Louis in the first place. SLU also has a Top 60 ESPN 2018 kid committed to SLU beginning of his JR year. Travis Ford is turning around SLU quickly. Goodwin will stay the only question will be if he stays all 4 years. Just had first SLU triple double in the history of the school.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

urirx wrote:
ramster wrote:No player in St Louis Basketball History has ever had a triple - double. Freshman Jordan Goodwin got one last night with 15 rebounds, 13 points and 10 assists while playing the full 40 minutes.

I think this is something that is very important as we talk about the A10 this year. With all the new coaches and lack of quality wins in the league this season, we are 2 or 3 years out from a banner season when all these freshmen become upperclassman.
I hope you're right, but it feels like we've been saying for a couple of years now that the A10 is on the verge of being back towards its peak and it actually gets worse every year
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramster wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:There has just been so much upheaval with the coaching positions.

Why would Goodwin leave St Louis? He was ranked #55 ESPN when he picked Saint Louis in the first place. SLU also has a Top 60 ESPN 2018 kid committed to SLU beginning of his JR year. Travis Ford is turning around SLU quickly. Goodwin will stay the only question will be if he stays all 4 years. Just had first SLU triple double in the history of the school.
Larrier from VCU. Paschall from Fordham. Kids transfer. That's why. I hope they all stay but they often do not.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
urirx wrote:

I hope you're right, but it feels like we've been saying for a couple of years now that the A10 is on the verge of being back towards its peak and it actually gets worse every year
It is difficult to maintain that previous quality when other conferences keep stealing our teams. It is up to the remaining teams to pick up the slack (and prove that those teams that left were short sighted in doing so - which has unfortunately not been the case). URI is now doing it's part. Dayton and VCU and to an extent SJU and Davidson were as well. It's unfortunate that Dayton and VCU are having down years. We need to have at least 8 of our 14 teams to be at least bubble caliber to up the ante. We should never be in a position where once conference play begins we have very few top 100 games left. In past years, 2 to 4 games vs Dayton and VCU would have helped immensely. 3 years ago, we had good chances vs. Dayton, VCU, and Davidson down the stretch. A win vs any of them would have propelled us from the NIT into the NCAA most likely. The A10 needs that to return.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
ramster wrote:

Larrier from VCU. Paschall from Fordham. Kids transfer. That's why. I hope they all stay but they often do not.
And I’ll bet Larrier wishes he hadn’t. Paschall from Fordham is nowhere near the quality of a St Louis. SLU is building fast with ESPN Top 100 2017’s #55 Jordan Goodwin and #90 Hasahn French plus 2018 #67 Carte’Are Gordon. But all in all I don’t see the A10 as a conference of players jumping ship unless there is a Coaching change.
Saint Louis will be Top 2 in the A10 next year I think.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

I would quote someone but too many already in the thread. I don't think we hit 5 bids again. the world was changing and we caught a couple of schools in transition that have records of receiving bids. With the current structure of conferences, and historical power, an average year for the A10 will be 3 schools and an above average year will be 4. I think 3 years from now it is very reasonable based on the schools that transitioned coaches, and the freshmen and underclassman in the league to think 4 bids from a mix of VCU, Dayton, URI, Umass, St louis, DUQ (been high on their coach even before conference play), SBU, and Davidson. I don't think it is impossible for Richmond, lasalle to pull a shock as well.

As always subject to change for outside forces
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We actually hit 6 bids with our current members the year after Xavier, Temple, Butler and Charlotte left.
There were several years where 5 to 6 teams were in the mix every year.
The league would just eat each other alive, teams like us and Dayton would just collapse and it would whittle our bids down to 4 or 3.

The A-10 has the foundation to get back to that level. Just need some stability with the coaches and once the teams get better, players will be less likely to want to transfer.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

SLU assault case finally came to a judgement. 3 suspended for a long time and 1 expelled

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... user-share
0 x