1/17 | UMass Minutemen | 7PM (Yurview TV)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/17 | UMass Minutemen | 7PM (Yurview TV)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hope the scouts are watching Jared tonight. 7 for 9 from the field, 3 for 3 from behind the arch, 2 for 2 from the line. He's becoming a great shooter.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Terrell for 3 got it

Then the stream freezes lol
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thank goodness the feed came back so I can gaze in wonderment at the magnificence of Ronald J. Resmini's head rug.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lol Resmini !!
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Billyboy78 wrote:Hope the scouts are watching Jared tonight. 7 for 9 from the field, 3 for 3 from behind the arch, 2 for 2 from the line. He's becoming a great shooter.
Yea it’s been fun to watch him progress over the years. I’m pretty sure he’s improved his shooting percentage every year here.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This damn stream is unwatchable
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Double double for Stan.
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

theblueram wrote:
spar wrote:This has been sloppy so far. We better clean it up in the second half, cause I can't imagine UMASS will continue shooting 21% next half.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guess I'm not clear on what was so laughable with this post. At that point in the game we had 8 turnovers already, and avg 10.9 per game. UMASS had a ton of opportunities, but weren't capitalizing on them. Seems like a fair assessment up to that point.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

This school and the athletic administration should be ASHAMED of associating with this inferior Yurcrap production. I guarantee there is no D1 program that would allow this. The Patriot League has a better tv package. SHAME on you Thorr.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Need to put this team away!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Ha! I sent an email to the “contact us” address on the yurview page and got this: Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822; info@yurview.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822; info@yurview.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 451 4.3.0 This message could not be delivered due to a recipient error. Please try again later.
Those dumb fucks can’t even get their emails right
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What a game for Stan.

Sure it hasnt been the prettiest game all around but always fun to watch us blow out UMass no matter what.

And the stream has been perfect from start to finish.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Easy going for us despite some ugly play here and there. Wish Fatts could get going.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

that behind the back pass by Fatts was unfair. to pull that off running full speed
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Dadika!!!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Love beating that umASS
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Another nice win at home. 6-0 for the first time ever. Now we head on the road for 4 of the next 5 and things start to get real interesting. Let's see how long the streak can continue!
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Love seeing the bench empty like that and dadika buried a 3 so awesome
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

17 pts., 12 rebounds for Stan. He is so valuable. Steals, deflections, taking charges. He does so many things to help us win.
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Solid win overall, great games by Terrell and Stan. Also solid defense from Langevine. Would be nice to see Fatts get his offense going again, he’s now shooting 12.5% from the field in a10 play.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This game was over in the first 5 minutes. Way to go RAMS!!!!!!!
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

josephski wrote:Solid win overall, great games by Terrell and Stan. Also solid defense from Langevine. Would be nice to see Fatts get his offense going again, he’s now shooting 12.5% from the field in a10 play.
Poor guy shot zero percent today....
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Our defense was fantastic.
Made Pipkins look average.

The only offense they had was when we left CJ Anderson wide the hell open a few times.

We had far too much for them.
Imagine how bad it would have gotten if EC and Fatts didn't miss EVERYTHING?

6-0 baby!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I hope Bill Koch mentions in his article that UMass beat pc. I would expect that tidbit for sure.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

That was fucking satisfying.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Well mission accomplished and then some on what I said about Pipkins, I was hoping to keep him around 20 then hold him for 2 in the first half then he was at 9 with 8 minutes left in the game
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

twisted3829 wrote:Well mission accomplished and then some on what I said about Pipkins, I was hoping to keep him around 20 then hold him for 2 in the first half then he was at 9 with 8 minutes left in the game
I think it helps that Rhody could put any one of at least 4 guys out there on him. This team's D is so ridiculous - opponents want to get rid of the ball so fast, they just throw it away - it's not going to get beat by one (or two) trick pony teams.
2 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

most of the credit tonight goes to Dowtin and some to Garrett, would love to go back see how many he scored with Dowtin on him because it had to be fewer than 6

I ended up watching the defense on Pipkins most of the game once the outcome was settled pretty early. Jefe moved his feet great all night and stayed with him
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PeterRamTime wrote:
josephski wrote:Solid win overall, great games by Terrell and Stan. Also solid defense from Langevine. Would be nice to see Fatts get his offense going again, he’s now shooting 12.5% from the field in a10 play.
Poor guy shot zero percent today....
True, but he had a couple of sweet assists and played decent defense. I have no worries about his game.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great game, we’re so good that I feel like I blink and we’re up 20. Unreal.
2 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Nice W. Kudos for our team shutting down Pipkins.... very well done. Very satisfying win. Now let’s go put the the screws to Dayton.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

twisted3829 wrote:most of the credit tonight goes to Dowtin and some to Garrett, would love to go back see how many he scored with Dowtin on him because it had to be fewer than 6

I ended up watching the defense on Pipkins most of the game once the outcome was settled pretty early. Jefe moved his feet great all night and stayed with him
As there was much discussion as to who was going to get the assignment to guard Pipkins, I was determined to watch this match up throughout the game. What I observed:
- Dowtin had Pipkins from the opening bell in the 1st half.
- He completely took Pipkins out of his game right from the start
- Dowtin probably had 5 inches on Pipkins in height plus his long arm span really bothered Pipkins.
- Watching Jeff is amazing, Pipkins never got by Dowtin, he tried to get by him but could not do it, he became frustrated - he only had 2 points in the 1st half!
- UMASS set up many screens for Pipkins but Dowtin almost every time was able to run around the screen whether in front or behind and always was able to catch up to Pipkins. Dowtin never, ever gave up on Pipkins, even when someone else could switch off, Dowtin had his mind made up.
- Once in the first half Terrell was on Pipkins one trip down the court and then another time Robinson was on Pipkins. It did not appear to me that it was a switch off, it seemed maybe this was in the game plan just to change things up - I was not sure but it only happened those two times.
- Garrett covered Pipkins when Dowtin was out. Pipkins seemed destined to try to score on Garrett. Several times he got by Garrett. Garrett sometimes looked for help. Made me think of last year when someone drove by a guard there was Iverson and/or Martin to help out. With Dowtin there was never a need for the big man to help - Pipkins just could not navigate around Dowtin.
- Garrett picked up his 2nd foul in the 1st half and went to the bench - Hurley's rule
- Fatts covered Pipkins some time as well and seemed to do fairly well
- Pipkins hit a 3 over Dowtin far from the hoop. I think Pipkins had a total of 5 points with Dowtin guarding him for the 29 minutes Dowtin was in
- Pipkins ended up with 13 points but he was basically taken out of the game. 5-17 FG, 1-6 on 3FG, 4 Turnovers. Not a good game at all for his 35 minutes of playing time.
- Dowtin had 6 assists in addition to his stellar defensive effort - the entire UMASS team had 8 assists
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

FWIW on the stream: I had it on start to finish, zero issues. Some of you guys should be sending your hate email to your ISPs.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Great analysis Ramster!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote:Great analysis Ramster!
Thanks
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I had no issues with the stream at all. I thought this game was the sloppiest in a while with the 15 TOs, but UMASS had 19
and proceeded to take themselves out of the game with poor shooting and careless passes whenever they got close. Terrell
managed to take over anytime UMASS put together any runs. Better clean up the turnovers at Dayton on Saturday. I have
watched most of the Flyers games. they were blown out by a very mediocre St. Joes in Philly tonight and it wasn't the
officiating that did it to them for a change. It is a different Dayton team this year. They lack both the consistency and the
fire of Archie miller's teams . However, they can still occasionally put together a good game at home . we may have some size
issues, and we must continue to defend the 3 because Dayton is shooting a lot of them . They have been a lot like UMASS, hot
and cold from 3. I think if the Rams can get off to a good start they can handle Dayton fairly easily. Can't let them hang around
like St.Louis.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Notes:
- Nice crowd. 5600 on a weeknight, not great weather, students out. All crowds for next 5 remaining games will push towards sell outs.
- Phenomenal game plan from Dan Hurley, David Cox for UMASS
- Shutting down Pipkins to 2 points in the 1st half, after he had averaged 34.5 the past 2 games, tells a lot about the game plan and Jeff Dowtin
- Terrell was smooth. Maybe most efficient game I have seen him play. 8-13 FG, 4-6 on 3FG, 4-4 FT, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 24 points
- Langevine is a beast. Maybe one of the strongest players I've seen play. He was immense tonight in 17 minutes with 12 rebounds
- UMASS has some big guys down low but Berry and Langevine and Robinson rebounded very well
- Dan calls Stan the MVP. 12 rebounds, 6-10 FG, 4-5 FTs. He is quiet, but gets the job done. What a key guy on this team
- Berry was solid once again. 3-7 FG, 5-6 FTs, 5 rebounds in 20 minutes. The big men are playing very well and improving all the time
- Garrett spelled Dowtin well. 3 nice assists and zero TOs
- Even last few minutes the guys off the bench played well. The starters rooted for the bench guys.
- On a breakaway we had a difficult layup roll off and there was Big Mike Layssard hustling down and tapping it in - but called for offensive interference so it didn't count. But love the Layssard hustle in the last 2 minutes, and all the guys hustling. Dadika hits a 3 with seconds to go and the players and coaches loved it. This team has fun.
- EC and Fatts did not have their best shooting nights but they can shoot. They are fine. Not everyone is hot every night. Dan clearly had faith in Fatts and he pulled him aside once to talk to him. Fatts is very talented and the shots will start falling more regularly - no worries
- Mike Hart was at the game with some others from St Andrews. He coached Berry of course.
- Jay Murphy on hand as he usually is and Eric Murphy was there with his Florida Jacket on. Wonder what the Murphy's think about this regime? Wonder if any of the brothers would have come to URI back in the day if DH had been the HC? Me thinks yes. Would have been a win- win
- This team is something special
- This team is so deep, so unselfish, so talented, so well coached..............................this is fun.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

One more note about Dowtin on Pipkins. Dowtin picked up Pipkins right from the end line. He was guarding him before the ball was passed in on the end line. This seemed to frustrate Pipkins even more. It seemed like he could never shake Dowtin, anywhere on the floor. Will be interesting to see if URI adopts the same strategy on Dayton's PG this Saturday
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jon Rothstein "gets it" regarding this URI team and has been right about it from before the season started

3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow great love from Rothstein

Great blowout win tonight

JT was great as usual

Cyril rebounds per minutes in the last 2 games is through the roof what is it ??

Fatts and EC need to get their 3 point stroke going !!
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Great game from 204!

Is the Langevine mouth guard thing new for him? For some reason I've never noticed that ridiculous habit of either holding his mouth guard outside of his mouth and biting it while playing, or holding it IN HIS HAND while playing??!!??

Drove me nuts watching him do that all night! Surprised he gets away with it from refs/coach...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RI_Bred wrote:Great game from 204!

Is the Langevine mouth guard thing new for him? For some reason I've never noticed that ridiculous habit of either holding his mouth guard outside of his mouth and biting it while playing, or holding it IN HIS HAND while playing??!!??

Drove me nuts watching him do that all night! Surprised he gets away with it from refs/coach...
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. What happens if he catches the ball with it in his hand?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

What a team. What a game. Great analysis by ramster on the phenomenal shutdown job Jefe did on Pipkins. And here's a terrific video of Dadika's trey and our bench's reaction. Sweeeeeeeet!

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. What happens if he catches the ball with it in his hand?
I think he had a couple of late one handed rebounds (or was that Robinson?)
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Daily Hampshire Gazette
by Matt Vautour

http://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-sputter ... d-14966241
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

We were having a discussion and I honestly wonder if there's spit on his mouthguard that gets on his hands and that's why he is so AWFUL at holding onto or dribbling the ball.

He is a physical specimen, has no problem getting and holding onto rebounds, or getting up and blocking shots.

My God though, watching him try to dribble or post up is disastrously predictable.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

We were having a discussion and I honestly wonder if there's spit on his mouthguard that gets on his hands and that's why he is so AWFUL at holding onto or dribbling the ball.

He is a physical specimen, has no problem getting and holding onto rebounds, or getting up and blocking shots.

My God though, watching him try to dribble or post up is disastrously predictable.

yup, its a shame we couldn't keep ARD. Cyril is the type of big that would benefit the most from sitting under that learning tree
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I think I’d rather have Cyril take 10 three pointers in a game than take 10 total dribbles in a game.
0 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

yup, its a shame we couldn't keep ARD. Cyril is the type of big that would benefit the most from sitting under that learning tree
I don't know how much this is about coaching. They've told him repeatedly to stop dribbling after getting an offensive rebound but he continues to do it.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."