1/17 | UMass Minutemen | 7PM (Yurview TV)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1/17 | UMass Minutemen | 7PM (Yurview TV)

Unread post by TruePoint »

University of Massachusetts at University of Rhode Island
Thomas M. Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, January 17, 2018
7:00PM

Media

TV: Cox Yurview TV

Streaming: https://www.yurview.com/nelive6_ribasketball

Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:

Vegas:

Opponent

Record:
10-8, 3-2 in the Atlantic 10
Away: 1-4
Last season: 15-18, 4-14 in Atlantic 10

Rankings:
RPI: 170 (190.3 expected)
BPI: 147
KenPom: 164

Leaders:
Points - Luwane Pipkins, 19.8
Rebounds - Malik Hines, 6.4
Assists - CJ Anderson, 5.8

Last Five (3-2)
1/15/18   JOES    W  72-69
1/10/18   LAS     W  86-79 (OT)
1/6/18    @DAY    W  62-60
1/3/18    GMU     L  80-72 (OT)
12/30/17  @SBON   L  98-78
Roster and Statistics

Coaching Staff
Matt McCall, Head Coach (1st Year) - Florida '04
Cliff Warren, Assoc. Head Coach - Mount St. Mary's '90
Rasheen Davis, Asst. Coach - St. Thomas Aquinas '02
Peter Gash, Asst. Coach - Lynn University '07

Preview

Cross-border rival UMass comes to the Ryan on Wednesday in the midst of an up-and-down transition year under the helm of new head coach Matt McCall, who arrived in Amherst seemingly randomly after they initially had hired Pat Kelsey from Winthrop to replace the fired Derek Kellogg. Kelsey backed out between a lunch with the AD and a 4PM press conference announcing him as the new coach, after having agreed to take the job, coming to campus and meeting the players. Who is to say what caused Kelsey to back away, but it definitely didn't help with the impression that things were falling apart quickly in Amherst for a program that had somewhat recently gone to the NCAA tournament and had a highly ranked recruiting class under Kellogg.

In the process of the coaching change, the Minutemen lost two of their prized freshmen, Dejon Jarreau and Brison Grisham, who came to UMass together from New Orleans and transferred together to Houston, as well as their leading scorer Donte Clark who left for Coastal Carolina as a grad transfer, plus four other players: Zach Lewis (Iona), Tyrn Flowers (LIU Brooklyn), Zach Coleman (LIU Brooklyn) and Seth Berger (Oregon State). In response, they've brought in five transfers who are sitting this season: Jaylen Brantly (Maryland), Kieran Hayward (LSU), Jonathan Laurent (Rutgers), Keon Clergeot (Memphis) and Curtis Cobb (Fairfield). As a result, UMass has relied on a rotation of essentially eight players (and seven if Rashaan Holloway remains suspended - he hasn't played since the George Mason game on January 3rd). Senior CJ Anderson, the leading assist man for UMass, also sat one game - the road win at Dayton - and has not started since (I expect him to return to the starting lineup Wednesday, but that is just a guess).

The eight (and sometimes seven) man skeleton crew for UMass is led by super sophomore Luwane Pipkins, who is averaging 19.8 ppg and has put up 27, 44 and 25 in their last three games - all wins, the latter two of which were impressive comeback wins and the other was an always impressive win at Dayton. URI will have to account for Pipkins, and if Holloway returns Wednesday (would not shock me), he will present a real challenge to URI's frontcourt with his size. I guessed in another thread that we might see slightly more Jarvis than usual and that he might be asked to reprise his role taking Kyron Cartwright out of the PC game against the similarly sized Pipkins.

When I look at this game, I see a UMass team that is 1-6 away from the Mullins Center this season; that has scored fewer and allowed more points than URI on average, and against a much less competitive schedule; and plays a much shorter rotation that may be prone to wearing down against URI over the course of 40 minutes. Still, this is a UMass team that has beaten Providence, Georgia (who stomped Alabama) and at Dayton (who is admittedly down, but still has one of the best homecourt advantages in the A10). They've also lost to George Mason, Georgia State and Quinnipiac. So like I said off top, they've been up and down.

Look, it is hard for me to view a remotely competent UMass team as a pushover, especially with a guy who could theoretically take the game over and put up 40 points - they've handed me too many heartbreaking losses in my life as a URI fan. But this is a game Rhody should win, and with this version of URI's basketball program I'm finally confident that we will win games like this. It looks like McCall is assembling some pieces that should allow UMass to turn things around relatively quickly, and they've already shown some signs of life in his first season, but with where the two programs are today, I think Rhody rolls, continues its march through the A10 and continues to hold serve on its home floor.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/17 | UMass Minutemen | 7PM (Yurview TV)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Nice preview TP!

I'm just a little nervous for this one.
Only because it's UMass...

Of all the teams to lose to, I would really not like to give them the satisfaction of beating our best team in 20 years...

Good thing we are really talented, deep and experienced :)

I could see it being close, but In that event I expect us to make enough winning plays to pull it out in the end.

Let's extend the streak to three!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I hate UMass more than I hate PC.

This is a rivalry game so unfortunately stats get thrown out the window.

Fortunately Hurley has a senior class who doesn’t pay attention to noise and is capable of locking in and winning games even when things aren’t going well.

Hopefully we’ll have 7k in the building.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great preview - thanks! This UMass team is Jekyl & Hyde. Some impressive wins and some real stinkers. Should be very interesting match up.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

UMass’s last two games at the half- down by 16 to La Salle, down by 12 to Saint Joe’s. They came back to win both of them.

I forgot how crazy their coaching search was. Press conference scheduled and everything.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Who knows, they may switch coaches at any time!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Umass certainly in that top tier of Rhody foes.

Coming off their past week or two, you could say that this game should be as tough as any URI plays in the conference this year. The minutemen have been tough.

Should be a good one.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Contain Pipkins and make the rest of the team beat you
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:I hate UMass more than I hate PC.

Fortunately Hurley has a senior class who doesn’t pay attention to noise and is capable of locking in and winning games even when things aren’t going well.

Totally disagree. Our rivalry with UMass is a sibling rivalry. We have a lot in common with UMass, as a fellow state university and as our regional neighbor who is also frequently forgotten about in its own state. I view PC as the Hatfields to our McCoys. It is a blood fued with genuine hate. I feel the world would be a better place if the institution were shuttered and all physical traces of it were burned to the ground. I basically regard Providence College the way Al Capone regarded Elliot Ness.

3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:

Totally disagree. Our rivalry with UMass is a sibling rivalry. We have a lot in common with UMass, as a fellow state university and as our regional neighbor who is also frequently forgotten about in its own state. I view PC as the Hatfields to our McCoys. It is a blood fued with genuine hate. I feel the world would be a better place if the institution were shuttered and all physical traces of it were burned to the ground. I basically regard Providence College the way Al Capone regarded Elliot Ness.

Am I missing something? It sounds like you are both agreeing. You are both calling it a rivalry and you are both saying you hate UMASS, no?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Where we disagree is that I bro-hate UMass and real-hate PC, where blueman hates UMass more than PC. I then used making that distinction to explain just how much I actually do hate PC, and took the opportunity to post one of my all-time favorite movie clips to illustrate the point.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

After the Umass game, the Rams will only have 1 home game over the following 22 days. Get yer fix now!!!! They become Rhode Warriors after this one.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

For any students that may visit the board:

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea Umass is a great rival and I do hate them, but PC is next level. That aside, I think Dowtin can guard Pipkins.
1 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:

My difference here is that in all my years of attending URI games that I can remember - we'll start the counter at 24 - PC has never taken us out of an NCAA bid. PC has never cost us a birth. Rivals are traditionally equals, and geography doesn't just automatically make someone a rival.

PC plays in a different conference and if we are being completely honest with ourselves is on a different level than us. Higher profile conference, games, TV exposure, etc. I'm not going to go into what I've posted on PC in other threads. I think my feelings are well known.

I agree that we are similar with UMass which is why I hold my disdain for them in much higher regard.

Both programs have 9 NCAA trips (if you count the "vacated" one in 96 for UMass). However, since they're scumbags and did have to vacate a season in 1996, we actually have the same exact amount of 2nd round, sweet 16, and elite 8 appearances. Both are state schools, underappreciated by their state capital. Both were good in the 90's and fell off in the 00's. Both have 1 big time star to hang their hat on (Odom vs Camby).

On a personal level - I had gotten in fights in high school at PC games. That kind of wore off.

There was never a time as a student that fists didn't get thrown at Amherst. In rugby, I can say without a doubt in my 10+ years of playing at the collegiate and men's levels, even overseas - they were the dirtiest, scummiest, worst group of men I've ever played against.

Their fans, their people, their teams...all scum. In all sports. In all walks of life.

Just because we lost a couple of close games to a non-conference rival who affected our NCAA standing not one iota - will never equal the hurt I still hold from the '09 senior day game. Matt Glass threw one of the dirtiest moving picks I've ever seen on Ulmer and Chris Lowe took so many steps that Sportscenter stopped the highlight to count them.

If any of you need a reminder of why you should hate them more than PC, why don't you find the video clip and press play? Maybe it'll bring back the contingent of UMass fans from the rafters screaming U-MASS all over the arena while I sat in my seat in complete silence until the arena lights started to get turned off?

For all of you blind PC haters, at least this rivalry is steeped in history that continued while the internet and videos existed.

That wrapped up another patented Baron Collapse, and kept us from another NCAA tournament birth.

If this rivalry doesn't get the blood flowing and you look at it as a cute sibling rivalry that doesn't have actual hatred, I am lost on what I should say to you.

Fuck UMass. Bury them Wednesday.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

You forgot Dr. J.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That '09 senior day loss may actually be the worst loss of my URI fandom, maybe even worse than the Stanford loss. At least the '98 team got the freaking Elite Eight. That class not ever making it to the tournament is the great crime of URI basketball history, and among the many who are to blame for it, certainly UMass is toward the top of the list. If I had seen Glass in the parking lot (somehow) after the game, I would have attempted to murder him.

My only thing with UMass is that it is a basketball rivalry - as far as the institution, I don't have anything against it. I don't think Providence College should exist - if I were King For A Day, I would close the school. The basketball part of it is just an easy way for my feelings about the school to manifest, and UMass isn't in that league in terms of invoking my hatred.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

That loss was tragic in terms of that basketball class. That was the game that caused me to turn forever against Baron. They always had URI's number, even more so if it was the end of the season and there was any talk about dancing. They have 5 transfers waiting for next year, but crush them this year!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Where we disagree is that I bro-hate UMass and real-hate PC, where blueman hates UMass more than PC. I then used making that distinction to explain just how much I actually do hate PC, and took the opportunity to post one of my all-time favorite movie clips to illustrate the point.
:lol: :lol:
Thanks
I get it
I think :roll:

Gotta love this KB Board :D
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

As requested, but I don’t see so many steps at the end.

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea I just looked over the record book and its awful there wasn't a tournament team from '05-'10. Damn you Umass. Damn you 00's.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Blueman forgot Cutino !
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

God I hated UMass during that end of baron era. Every player looked the same and creepy as fuck and always shot lights out against rhody.

I have a memory of Brower (Who wasnt even good) hitting a few threes in the Ryan Center and a UMass fan a row up screaming "BROWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in my ear after every shot
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Love this ...

:D Jefe's got a point
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rhodysurf wrote:God I hated UMass during that end of baron era. Every player looked the same and creepy as fuck and always shot lights out against rhody.

I have a memory of Brower (Who wasnt even good) hitting a few threes in the Ryan Center and a UMass fan a row up screaming "BROWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in my ear after every shot
James Life is still a punk.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI and UMass have somewhat similar program history resumes. Much of the UMass success was however confined to the tenure of one coach - John Calipari (the only UMass coach to ever win an NCAA game while four different URI coaches have done so). Both programs have appeared in the NCAA tournament nine times (URI is 7-9 and UM is 11-9). URI appeared in 15 NIT Tournaments while UMass made it on 13 occasions (URI 14-16 and UM 13-14). Rhode Island outdistances UMass by quite a bit in total program wins (200+). One would think the series would therefore be somewhat even. It however is not as UMass leads 88-62 in the all-time series. I can understand UMass dominating during their glory days under Calipari (Skinner had a horrible record versus his alma mater). One would however think URI would have made up for this by piling up wins when it was the better program. That has not been the case. This has been a particular problem for URI even after Calipari's departure. For most of the 11 year Baron tenure and so far through five seasons with Hurley, Rhody had the better teams most years yet still had much difficulty beating UMass, especially up in Amherst.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:God I hated UMass during that end of baron era. Every player looked the same and creepy as fuck and always shot lights out against rhody.

James Life is still a punk.
Yup thats the guy I hated the most haha
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote:Blueman forgot Cutino !
Most certainly did not.

Odom was a top 4 lottery pick, 6th man of the year, and 2-time NBA champion. Up until last year he was singlehandedly responsible for the only A10 title we ever had.

I loved Cat. He was one of my favorites on the late 90s team (will never top my love for Tyson breaking ankles). Cat never had that URI defining "moment" like Odom. He was a 2nd round pick. Certainly had a nice career, but not even close to what Odom had.

I meant 1 player who people thought of as a Ram first. Odom > Cat.

Dr. J played college ball in an era where the NCAA tournament wasn't even the NCAA tournament. There wasn't even 32 teams allowed until 1975, and the tournament didn't really take form until the mid-80s. College ball wasn't what it is now. People think are more likely to think of Dr J as a 76er than a minuteman.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote:URI and UMass have somewhat similar program history resumes. Much of the UMass success was however confined to the tenure of one coach - John Calipari (the only UMass coach to ever win an NCAA game while four different URI coaches have done so). Both programs have appeared in the NCAA tournament nine times (URI is 7-9 and UM is 11-9). URI appeared in 15 NIT Tournaments while UMass made it on 13 occasions (URI 14-16 and UM 13-14). Rhode Island outdistances UMass by quite a bit in total program wins (200+). One would think the series would therefore be somewhat even. It however is not as UMass leads 88-62 in the all-time series. I can understand UMass dominating during their glory days under Calipari (Skinner had a horrible record versus his alma mater). One would however think URI would have made up for this by piling up wins when it was the better program. That has not been the case. As mentioned here, this was a particular problem for URI under Baron. For most of the 11 year Baron tenure, Rhody had the better teams yet still had much difficulty beating UMass, especially up in Amherst.
Jack Leamon, Dr. J's college coach, had a good string of success even after Erving left. I don't recall when he retired but the Mullins court is named after him.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote: Jack Leamon, Dr. J's college coach, had a good string of success even after Erving left. I don't recall when he retired but the Mullins court is named after him.
UMass had some success in the 70's under Coach Leaman. They however never made the NCAA Tournament. They instead settled for six NIT bids during that decade. The program had an especially difficult time in the 1980's with no postseason participation from 1978-1989. Up until Calipari's time in Amherst, the school had just one lone post NCAA appearance (1962). It never even reached the NIT until 1970. Seven of their nine NCAA bids all occurred in the 1990's under Calipari and Flint.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We found every way possible to lose to UMass under Baron.

07-08
Lost by two at UMass.
Then in the midst of the most demoralizing losing streak ever they nail 9 million threes on our home court in front of a national audience on espn2 and beat us.

08-09
Won solidly in Amherst only to get blind sided by matt glass on a day where Jimmy Baron broke the A-10 three point record in front of a sold out crowd. Put us on the wrong side of the bubble.

09-10
Beat them down at home because they were such an inferior team. All they had was Ricky Harris....who torched us in Amherst when all we had to do was beat them and put ourselves in a really good shape to get in the tournament. I remember Ben Eaves killing them in the first half with 10 points and Baron playing him for like a minute in the second half...

Those three years made me into a UMass hater for life.

Sweeping them last year should have been appreciated much more than it was.

Let us continue to kick them when they are down.
2 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

RF1 wrote: Both programs have appeared in the NCAA tournament nine times (URI is 7-9 and UM is 11-9).
You forgot the asterisk! They're 7-8. :lol:
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Kind of surprised nobody has brought up another legendary Redman (they only became the Minutemen in the 1970s) guy who has a banner in Amherst -- Al Skinner.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rick Pitino played there. That's enough for me to hate them....but he was at that other school too....oh yeah, that's why I hate him.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

SO maybe someone close to the program can answer this question.

I'm a History grad who's worked in IT since graduation. Next semester i am taking a few classes at CCRI for some certificate i decided i wanted to get. (It's harder t get these IT jobs with no qualifications aside from experience nowadays, computers ain't the wild west anymore and the economy pretty much demands we ultra professionalize everything i guess).

SO i don't have an official CCRI ID with my photo yet, and likely won't happen before the UMASS game. But i do have my CCRI ID number/info written on ccri letterhead ect... Would this be enough for me sister to get me in for free as she is a URI current student?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Call the RC ticket office folks?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Streaming link from yurview:

https://www.yurview.com/nelive6_ribasketball

TP, can you put it at the top?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Updated. Thanks!
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

twisted3829 wrote:Contain Pipkins and make the rest of the team beat you
I’ve seen Pipkins play 4 times....this kid can put up big points fast. Creates his own shot with ease.... drives..... all kinds of moves to the basket..... shoots it well. Not a big kid at 5”11 but I have yet to see anyone keep him in check. I’m sure Dan will definitely have a plan to try and control him to some extent. I’m with Twisted on this one.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

by contain him i mean keep him under 20 (similar to what URI needed to do again the Bonnies)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'm sure Fatts and Jarvis can do well against pipkin.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Boston Globe article with interesting info about UMASS Head Coach

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thanks for the link. UMass gives Blue Man his props. 8-)

I want to meet this man and shake his hand. :P
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ugh. Can't take a couple hours off here. Thread cleanup incoming. Cmon man.
 ! Message from: ATPTourFan
I took care of the original post and those reacting to it so the thread can stay on topic a day before this game.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting on Pierre. He was not going straight to UMASS until McCall came on the scene

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/high ... story.html

http://www.gazettenet.com/Freshmen-Pier ... s-13017080
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x