1/13 | St. Bonaventure Bonnies | 11AM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: 1/13 | St. Bonaventure Bonnies | 11AM (ESPNU)

Unread post by PeteRI »

What a game! What a team!! And I even Beat the Traffic.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

great game from Jefe...really encouraging to see him back in the groove. 18 and 9 in the biggest game
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Langevine had a great second half, his rebounding was very big
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Final score

URI 87, Bona 73

Can hardly wait for the rematch on 16-Feb-2018 in Olean.
Last edited by Native 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I bet Garrett feel bad about missing that last 3, it would have given Dowtin 10 assist and you could see the team wanted it
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

That second half was fun. Great effort by everyone today. 13 straight A-10 wins. Sitting in car waiting for traffic to clear. Leaving with a smile.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Never in doubt for last 20 minutes. We are a cut above everyone else, we may lose a couple but given the talent gap it is going to take a Herculean effort for teams in this version of the A10.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......no cut to the coach/player presser?...my bad, coming up....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Matthew Mobley makes an Atlantic 10 Tram over Elbert Matthews or Jared Terrell I may stage a protest.

Kid is so overrated.

Go Rhody!
2 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Great win in a game that we controlled pretty much start to finish. Dowtin played like he did against Creighton. He plays like a Senior and he's only a sophomore. Excited to give him some more front court bodies to feed next year.

I think the remainder of the year comes down to matchups. St. Louis has athletes and they gave us a game. LaSalle with Johnson will likely give us a game. Davidson with Aldridge (although not super athletic) will cause some matchup problems, but ultimately our guards and the tremendous depth we have wears down just about every backcourt - both on offense and defense. With the A10 being down we need to continue to pile on wins. Win the A10 with 1-2 losses + win the A10 tournament and we'll be in a position where we likely won't see a team that gives us trouble with length until the round of 32. Lose more than 2 and/or see an early exit in the A10 tournament and I think we'll be penalized with our seeding and then its just luck of the draw.

What a fun team to watch - so many weapons - so much firepower - so many players that can step up when needed. Keep taking care of business and we'll be in good shape with our first round matchup.

GO RHODY! Great 7000+ showing with students on break!
6 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Wasn't able to watch most of the game. Listened from about the 15 min mark to the 5 min mark of the 2nd half on radio, but watched the last 5 mins at home. I have the game recorded and plan to watch later. Great win. Need to hold serve at home. 5-0! Need to win again Wed at home vs. UMass too!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Rhody15 wrote:If Matthew Mobley makes an Atlantic 10 Tram over Elbert Matthews or Jared Terrell I may stage a protest.

Kid is so overrated.

Go Rhody!
1st Team guards have to be EC, JT, and Jaylen Adams. Mobley is very good (that baseline drive and dunk was impressive), but he's 2nd team let's be real. The voters (whoever they are) will reward the clear cut best team in the league.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Fantastic Game! Rhody up to #14 on liverpi.com right now. Not too shabby. I'll be shocked (SHOCKED!), if we don't see the Rams get noticeably more top 25 love this week. This was the game I think the voters were waiting for. Unless they are completely out to lunch which they may be. I think if Rhody had managed to beat Alabama, we'd have been in the top 25 this whole time. Probably sitting at 21 or something right now. That was an unfortunate one to drop without EC.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......in the presser, loved Coaches comments to the Koch question on reflecting on his 100th win.....mainly on how the building has changed.....
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

TruePoint wrote:I have seen enough Andre Berry for today, thank you.
Agree it started out a little out of his comfort zone, but it should be noted that Andre had a really nice game. 12 and 7 in 20 mins = making an impact. I think this team has to stop overreacting to matchups that might not be "Andre Berry-type games." He's a big part of our success. Thought he and Cyril each played to their strengths. That's the key for me. Make teams adjust to you, not the other way around.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Agree the 'bama game is the diff between being ranked now, and not. That baseline drive and dunk by Mobley was reeaally impressive. They have two great guards...but, not sure anyone else on their team would get many minutes playing for Rhody.

Great game, love the start time, lotta fun...never really seemed in doubt....will be really surprised if they lose again before tourney time.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......the road is full of potholes, speed bumps and hidden mines......not to mention snakes.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Great game! Probably Dowtin's best game of the season, nice to see him go 6-6 from the free throw line.

Also Mobley's dunk was easily one of the best I've seen in the ryan center, that was crazy.
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

this was just a fun game. two good teams going at it. very fast paced first half with aggressive teams (6 charging calls) garrett gets some love as a spark off the bench. the crowd was its normal late self (i heard traffic was backed up to route 2) but crossed 7k for a non brand intersession game.

congrats to dan for being the second fastest coach in uri history to the 100 win mark. anytime you get mentioned with frank keaney in the same breath at uri, life is good!
4 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

different thought thread but still related to this game. on the post game show, it was really the first time i heard dan make a comment this year about oregon and say pretty strongly we should of won that game.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a time to be a rams fan. The fan base is flourishing, mews and Rhody joes and I’m sure other places are packed. Great game, EC Matthews may be on the wrong side of sport center top ten lol, but he played great. We convincingly beat a great team, plus their fan base traveled well, on to the pats game!
3 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Solid - really rock solid.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Adams resorted to trying to play hero ball the entire second half and was looking for bail out foul calls every time down. We really clamped down on defense in the second half.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ramrod wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I have seen enough Andre Berry for today, thank you.
Agree it started out a little out of his comfort zone, but it should be noted that Andre had a really nice game. 12 and 7 in 20 mins = making an impact. I think this team has to stop overreacting to matchups that might not be "Andre Berry-type games." He's a big part of our success. Thought he and Cyril each played to their strengths. That's the key for me. Make teams adjust to you, not the other way around.
Completely agree. I wasn't wrong that he was rough during his first stretch on the floor, but he turned it around the rest of the way.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Cyril's rebounding cannot be overlooked. Virtually all of his defensive rebounds were in traffic.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's a nice win for our team

What can you say about Jeff the guy assist to turnovers ratio is anazing

Also agree Cyril controls the boards in 2h

On to UNass
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:great game from Jefe...really encouraging to see him back in the groove. 18 and 9 in the biggest game
And no turnovers .... in 34 minutes.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dowtin had an outstanding game. 9 assists and 0 turnovers. Dan had a funny quote about Jeff's great game..."one assist and ten rebounds away from a triple double". I saw Kevin Stacom walking around. Not sure why he was there. While I despise everything about PC, I always liked Kevin, obviously not because he was a star at PC, but because he owned a great bar in Newport. Great sports day so far. Go Pats!
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steviep123 wrote:Wasn't able to watch most of the game. Listened from about the 15 min mark to the 5 min mark of the 2nd half on radio, but watched the last 5 mins at home. I have the game recorded and plan to watch later. Great win. Need to hold serve at home. 5-0! Need to win again Wed at home vs. UMass too!
I was at the game, and I am watching on DVR. It is just as fun the second time around.
6 x
Slava Ukraini!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Rumour from my Iona booster friends was that Berry was considering xfering to Iona after last season. Boy am I glad he did not.

Give him a ton of credit. His D was getting us murdered with guys open under the basket in the early first half, until LAngevine came in.

When he came out because of foul trouble i figured we were in trouble.. nope... Andree Adjusted defensively and made some very nice stops..

Big team effort today o really show how much better we are then Bonnies.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That was a great game! Except for the foulfest provided by the zebras in the first half, some outstanding plays. I agree Mobley's dunk was pretty awesome. Great crowd! Our depth is for real. 13-3 and an RPI of around 15. NICE!!!!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If that is the class of the league, I honestly don’t think setting the bar extremely high at 16-2 is absurd.

Phenomenal adjustments.

This is so much fun.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

EGram wrote:Rumour from my Iona booster friends was that Berry was considering xfering to Iona after last season. Boy am I glad he did not.

Give him a ton of credit. His D was getting us murdered with guys open under the basket in the early first half, until LAngevine came in.

When he came out because of foul trouble i figured we were in trouble.. nope... Andree Adjusted defensively and made some very nice stops..

Big team effort today o really show how much better we are then Bonnies.
Been following URI hoops since the 60’s

I’m struggling to come up with a player who has improved more from the beginning of his URI career to his senior season.

It is truly impressive and he gets better every game.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....Seawright?......Jimmy?.......neva mind.....Rod would have helped us here.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote:If that is the class of the league, I honestly don’t think setting the bar extremely high at 16-2 is absurd.

Phenomenal adjustments.

This is so much fun.
Rhody is the class of the league.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

josephski wrote:Great game! Probably Dowtin's best game of the season, nice to see him go 6-6 from the free throw line.

Also Mobley's dunk was easily one of the best I've seen in the ryan center, that was crazy.

And after watching on DVR rewound at least a dozen times...some just to listen to the crowd reaction...
That's one of the best I've seen in person in a while...
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Some select tweets from the game:

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote:.....Seawright?......Jimmy?.......neva mind.....Rod would have helped us here.....
I'd say Delroy.

As a freshman he couldnt get out of his own way only getting 3pts and 2reb in 9min a game.

As a senior he was unstoppable and played like the 2nd coming of Odom. Could score from anywhere in any way and was a big time rebounder, averaging 17 and 8.

as a freshman he had 65 points and 35 boards on the year.
his junior and senior years combined he had 1,069 points and 458 rebounds.

Honorable mention to our own Will Martell...could tell as a freshman he hadnt grown into his height yet. but put in the work and went from 0.2 pts/ 0.5 reb in 2.1 mpg to 7 pts/ 5 reb in 23 mpg
1 x
---
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is this team better than last years? Also, is there a replay of the game available?
0 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote:Is this team better than last years? Also, is there a replay of the game available?
www.watchespn.com

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3245004
1 x
---
---
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Is this team better than last years? Also, is there a replay of the game available?
This year’s team is definitely playing better than last years at this point of the season. I’d probably say last year’s team was better due to having a more balanced lineup even though they didn’t start playing to their potential until late in the season.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Love that Hurley line. "Put me in a position where I can't take you out". That is how players become great.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Just back from the game and mews

Great game !

Well worth the trip !

Good job by the crowd and me and my wife got on the Jumbotron 3 times :)

Thanks $10 tix behind the hoop :)
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Just back from the game and mews

Great game !

Well worth the trip !

Good job by the crowd and me and my wife got on the Jumbotron 3 times :)

Thanks $10 tix behind the hoop :)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
section(105) wrote:.....Seawright?......Jimmy?.......neva mind.....Rod would have helped us here.....
I'd say Delroy.

As a freshman he couldnt get out of his own way only getting 3pts and 2reb in 9min a game.

As a senior he was unstoppable and played like the 2nd coming of Odom. Could score from anywhere in any way and was a big time rebounder, averaging 17 and 8.

as a freshman he had 65 points and 35 boards on the year.
his junior and senior years combined he had 1,069 points and 458 rebounds.

Honorable mention to our own Will Martell...could tell as a freshman he hadnt grown into his height yet. but put in the work and went from 0.2 pts/ 0.5 reb in 2.1 mpg to 7 pts/ 5 reb in 23 mpg
Certainly Berry has been impressive. He played very well today once again.
Name first came to my mind was Roland Houston 6'8" center
Roland Houston stats were:
1978-79: Jack Kraft: 2.8ppg, 2.0rpg - Sly Williams, Jimmy Wright, Irv Chatman
1979-80: Jack Kraft: 5.2ppg, 4.4rpg - Jimmy Wright, Marc Upshaw, Gilson Dejesus
1980-81: Jack Kraft/Claude English: 5.0ppg, 6.3rpg, 2.5apg - Jimmy Wright, Marc Upshaw, Phil Kydd, Gilson Dejesus
1981-82: Claude English: 12.8ppg, 10.0rpg, 2.7apg - Marc Upshaw

Roland averaged a double-double his Senior Year. He played behind some very good players in his early years, much like Berry has done
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Another entertaining college ball game.. 2 good teams going back and forth In first half.. Dominant second half on both ends of floor by rams.. Amazing how good they are offensively when they share the ball. Keep it going.. The ride is fun
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Observations:

- Team was very well Coached and very well prepared for St Bonaventure
- The Big Man Position results were awesome. 40 minute Totals were 16 points, 7-11 FG, 2-3 FT, 16 rebounds, 3 blocks
-----Berry was solid with 20 minutes, 12 points and 7 rebounds. He has become a favorite assist target from Dowtin
-----Langevine played well 17 minutes with 9 rebounds, 2 points and 2 huge blocks. He took two sure baskets away from Bonnies with excellently times blocks
-----Akele played the other 3 minutes with a key basket

- EC Mathews is playing like he did in the Davidson last game of the season, the A10 Tournament and the NCAA Tournament. His 9 rebounds today tied for game high with Langevine. Rebounding was a key attribute that EC brought to the team in the end of season.
-EC also had 2 great blocked shots that robbed Bonnies of points
- Wish we had had EC for the Virginia and Alabama games as 2 of our 3 losses were in the 6 games EC was out. He played very well today

- Jeff Dowtin is now 27-7 since he went into the starting line up
- Jeff's 9 assists and zero TOs and his assists were dealt out with surgical accuracy and timing. 2 assists in the 2nd half when he penetrated the lane and dished to Robinson were incredible.
- Jeff 5-8 FG and 6-6 FTs plus he had the defensive responsibility to cover Jay Adams - as always Jeff gets the opponents best guard

- Jarvis Garrett played a solid game. 10 points, 5 assists, 4-6 FG, 2-3 on 3FG in 23 minutes. Love how he is playing

- Robinson was as usual solid. Dan Hurley calls Stan the MVP of the team. 6 rebounds, tough defense, 8 points

- Terrell had 2 nice assists, 3 rebounds, 6-6 FTs, 13 points in 25 minutes limited by 4 fouls

- Russell continues to get valuable minutes with 18 today in a huge game. 2 points but his presence was felt on the floor

- Our depth is a real strength. We can play 9 guys and all are former 3 star and 4 star players. Dan can go with the players with the hot hands and not lose much at all regardless of which 9 guys he puts on the floor, Other teams do not have near the depth of talent that we have.

- Team played with precision, with confidence, unselfishness, good passing, good rebounding. This team is playing better every game - a real credit to the players themselves and especially to the Coaching staff
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Time for the Uass thread.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 x