1/13 | St. Bonaventure Bonnies | 11AM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spar
Kenny Green

Re: 1/13 | St. Bonaventure Bonnies | 11AM (ESPNU)

Unread post by spar »

What a statement win. We own this conference this year. This team is special. Let's enjoy the ride.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Couldn’t agree more

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We are in uncharted territory as a program. We are the envy of the league. Not just a great team but a great program. Every fan should revel in this, it’s a great time to be a Rhody fan. In Hurley we trust. Good night
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dowtin and Berry make it look so easy.....special talents in both players

1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Biggest improvement over their careers......

Tommy Garrick

Michael Anderson
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ramster wrote:Dowtin and Berry make it look so easy.....special talents in both players

.......yes, great two man game, like when the high post are is left clean so that that play can evolve......notice thou that EC is basically a spectator, would like to see him move into possible offensive rebound area.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

EC is in corner to keep his man from sagging over, which basically keeps the lane clear for Berry. If EC moves closer to hoop so does his defender and he is more easily able to help on the Berry lob. Once Berry made the catch it was a simple layup so not sure much to criticize for EC not crashing.
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Berry has showed how mandatory it is to have a solid big on the floor to create a well tuned offense, and Langevine for a well tuned defense.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:
ramster wrote:Dowtin and Berry make it look so easy.....special talents in both players

.......yes, great two man game, like when the high post are is left clean so that that play can evolve......notice thou that EC is basically a spectator, would like to see him move into possible offensive rebound area.....
EC is in exactly the same position as Robinson in the other corner. So shouldn’t you be criticizing Robinson too?

Note all 4 players are at the 3 point line - that’s by design. Dowtin finds Berry as he has done many, many times this year but his other options are to drive and dish back out for the 3, drive and take the 10’ jumper (which he did several times yesterday), drive to just inside the FT line and dish to Robinson or EC coming in from their wing positions (which Dowtin also did several times yesterday with some beautiful dishes to Robinson in the 2nd half for easy layups). So when Dowtin drives in the lane and if and when EC’s or Stan’s man drifts off to help out cover Dowtin he does his magical, quick, “sometimes no-look pass” to the guy cutting in from the side.

I know some like to criticize EC, I can think of no player on the team that gets more criticism on KB than he does, and certainly I am not saying some is deserved, but EC (who is a Wing guard) tied with the team and game high in rebounds with 9 so he must be doing something right in the rebounding phase of the game, right?. Langevine got 9 rebounds as did Stockard for Bonnies to tie EC for game high.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Ramulous wrote:Biggest improvement over their careers......

Tommy Garrick

Michael Anderson
Tommy Garrick made tremendous improvement. I watched every home game of that era (and a few road games).
He got so good defensively, that he tended to get called for these cheap fouls because the refs would just assume contact when there was not any.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Ramulous - two good choices. Anderson came from Denmark and was truly uncoordinated. He would miss layups because he could not figure what foot to jump off on. Became a strong number five by his senior year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jeff Kent could be another one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mike Moten if they had only played him more :D :D
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could say Cutino Mobley with the arrival of Harrick
I still like Roland Houston, but agree with all those who have been listed so far
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Re: Tommy Garrick....remember, PC was his dream school, but they didn't offer him a scholarship. So, URI took him, but wanted him to play football. The rest is history. He became one of URI's all-time greats. Next to Jiggy, Tommy is my favorite Ram.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Anyone see similarities between Garrick and Terrell?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Penders changed Tommy’s trajectory, similar to how Harrick did to Cuttino. Both players reached their ceilings due to the coaching changes. Both ended up in the NBA. Garrick and Terrell both are built like football players, and yes I would say have similar games.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Agree, Garrick and Terrell are pretty similar. Garrick had a 4 year NBA career. Does Jared have an NBA future too?
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I think JT is the one most likely to play in the NBA from this URI class.......
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Garrick was amazing. Nice write up about him a year ago, linc below

I will never forget his performance in the A10 Tournament, the 50 point game against Rutgers, the Camera's showing his Dad and Brother in the stands at the NCAA Tournament as his Brother described the action. And to think he played basketball at West Warwick High School - just an amazing, amazing story.

From the article.......................
It was Garrick who put the state of Rhode Island and the URI Rams on his back. He averaged 27.3 points per game during six games of postseason play through the A-10 Championship and NCAA Tournament.

Garrick scored a URI and A-10 record 50 points vs. Rutgers on March 7, 1988 in the A-10 Championship quarterfinals – a record that still stands today. He scored 32 of his 50 points in the first half and finished 19-of-26 from the floor, including five 3-pointers.

In the 1988 NCAA Tournament, the Rams entered as the #11 seed in the East. He posted games of 29 points against #6 Missouri and 28 against #3 seed Syracuse before adding 14 points in Rhody's one-point loss to #2 seeded Duke. Off the court, the inspiring story of the Garrick family captured the hearts of the nation. Garrick's father Thomas Sr. was legally blind, after losing his eyesight in 1944 in World War II. Members of the Garrick family – notably his brother John – would provide Thomas Sr. with a running play-by-play of the game. The story of Garrick family was featured prominently on the CBS Morning News on March 28, 1988.

Additionally - the face of the Cinderella Rams in 1988, - Garrick was the first University Of Rhode Island student-athlete to ever grace the cover of Sports Illustrated.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0119gbnyz6
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody gets respect from the opposition. ....

http://thebonablog.com/2018/01/14/sunda ... ow-on-bye/
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The only thing I will criticize EC for is the possession after he got yammed on by Mobley. He had the look in his eye like he needed to show mobley up and sure enough he dribbled and tried to do too much and turned it over. Could see it coming as soon as he took the ball out after the dunk haha
2 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

rhodysurf wrote:The only thing I will criticize EC for is the possession after he got yammed on by Mobley. He had the look in his eye like he needed to show mobley up and sure enough he dribbled and tried to do too much and turned it over. Could see it coming as soon as he took the ball out after the dunk haha
I turned to my friend after that dunk and said exactly the same thing. Can't blame him though, that dunk was absolutely filthy.

Still can't believe I was just in the Ryan Center with 7000+ fans at 11 AM!!!! It's incredible how far we have come the past few seasons. Enjoying every second of the ride!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody74 wrote:Rhody gets respect from the opposition. ....

He runs a great blog. Very insightful. Wish they didn’t suck so bad in so many games so the A10 would have a chance at a couple bids.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

They lost at Dayton and at St Joes. Those games will also be very difficult for us so I would not agree that they did "suck so bad".
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

What a time to follow the URI rams basketball team. Look forward to the next game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Dowtin had an outstanding game. 9 assists and 0 turnovers. Dan had a funny quote about Jeff's great game..."one assist and ten rebounds away from a triple double". I saw Kevin Stacom walking around. Not sure why he was there. While I despise everything about PC, I always liked Kevin, obviously not because he was a star at PC, but because he owned a great bar in Newport. Great sports day so far. Go Pats!

I believe Stacom is an NBA scout...I think for the Mavericks.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

My question is what is Ernie D doing with a seat on press row with a free ticket to the game? Yesterday was not the first time I have seen him on press row. I don't think he is a scout for anyone other than the Criers.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Rhody gets respect from the opposition. ....

He runs a great blog. Very insightful. Wish they didn’t suck so bad in so many games so the A10 would have a chance at a couple bids.
Agree. Accurate, informative, very well done.

High praise in the article for Jeff and well stated......

Jeff Dowtin is a Stud- On a roster full of talented players, URI Sophomore Jeff Dowtin really stood out on Saturday morning. Dowtin played solid defense on Jay Adams bothering him with his long arms and forced the Bonnies’ PG into a number of tough two point shots (Adams now shooting 41% on shots at the rim vs.52% from three). Dowtin finished the game with 18 points on 7-10 shooting and 9 assists against 0 turnovers…playing within himself to the Nth degree. On the season Dowtin is leading the league in A/TO ratio with a jaw-dropping 5:1 ratio…87 assists against 15 turnovers.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think there were 4 NBA scouts in attendance looking at our guys and their guys too
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Ernie in the house, think he lives locally and likes hoops?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I loved this play Saturday. First EC blows by #3 Adams and then gets by #2 Mobley who tries miserably to block EC's shot. EC easily beats Bonnies 2 best guards in one play.

1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

For anyone without an ESPN login

4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Love the thumbnail! BERRY!!
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund