Week # 10 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Re: Week # 10 - Games of Interest

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I think PRT meant in due time, not this season specifically.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote:
ramster wrote:Dambrot is a great Coach. There was some talk of Dambrot possibly taking the open Dayton job. I think he would have been a great pick for Dayton - thought so at the time.
Duquesne won this game with Eric Williams Jr having fouled out too. Williams is a strong candidate for A10 Freshman of the Year.
Dambrot is well on his way to being named coach of the year.

How good can he make Duquesne??
They were pretty good 7 to 10 years ago, but if he gets them to at large level that would really be wild.
PeterRamTime,
I did not take you to mean Duquesne would get to an at large level this year, did you?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sunday action in the A-10:

Davidson at Fordham. 3 PM. On NBCSN.

Saint Joseph's at UMass. 5 PM. On NBCSN.

Games involving URI OOC opponents:

Rider at Iona. 1 PM. On ESPN3.

Boston University at Holy Cross . 1 PM.

NC State at #3 Virginia. 6 PM. On ESPNU.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Duquesne has 349th worst schedule strength according to KenPom. LONG way to go before we can talk at large chances with them.
Duquesne has ZERO shot at an at large. Even with a record of 13-5, the Duke have an RPI of #216. They have played a really bad schedule as referenced above. They have no real good wins and bad losses to the likes of Robert Morris, Cornell, Pitt, and Southern Illinois. Dambrot still should be given a lot of credit given the program's recent state. Not much was expected of them. He has them playing hard.
I loved the Dambrot hire when they made it. I thought at the time Dayton should have grabbed him. But bottom line Dambrot was a super HC Pick up for the A10. I liked the UMASS hire too. Dayton not so much. VCU was ok, expected hire. A10 sends some very good Coaches out to P5's but also continually brings in many good future potential P5 HC prospects - we are a solid League.

Funny thing was just a month or so ago I read here how the A10 should jettison Fordham and Duquesne as they are hurting the league.
Duquesne is now 2nd on the Conference and in WBB Duquesne is 14-3 (4-0) and tied for 1st with Dayton and Fordham in A10 play.

I watched the triple OT game with Duquesne - LaSalle yesterday. Was amazing how in OT Duquesne was down 6 points with 30 seconds to go and miraculously tied the game.

Dambrot is moving forward similar to what Dan Hurley did in his first year, maybe even faster. Scheduled OOC weaker by design, brought in transfers and hit the recruiting trail fast and furious.

Consider:
- Dambrot was hired March 28. Only been on job 9 months
- He lost Isaiah Mike who was Freshman Starter and All-A10 Freshman Team last season. Mike transferred to SMU
- He talked Mike Lewis II, who was also Freshman All-A10 last season into staying after he had declared he was leaving too
- Brought in 4 freshmen with Tydus Verhoeven and Eric Williams Jr both in the starting line up. Williams, 6'5" Guard is a leading candidate for A10 Freshman of year and already has 7 double-doubles and leads the A10 in Rebounding - and plays guard!!
- Dambrot brought in 4 transfers who have to sit out - announced in May
- He also has Grad Senior transfer Chas Brown, 6'8" Center who starts and is from Coppin State
- Another transfer, Frankie Hughes was later added and he will be eligible next year too. Hughes started a number of games for Missouri as a Freshman. Dambrot got Hughes to join him despite heavy recruiting for his services

- Dambrot signed a 7 year, $7 Million contract
- $40 million-plus fundraising campaign to renovate the 29-year-old Palumbo Center is ongoing
- 5 Freshman signed in early signing period for 2018-19
----6-11 small forward Gavin Bizeau (Plainfield, Ind./Plainfield)
----6-9 power forward Amari Kelly (Roosevelt, N.Y./Norcross, Ga. Meadowcreek)
----6-10 power forward Austin Rotroff (Wauseon, Ohio/Wauseon)
----6-11 center Dylan Swingle (Chillicothe, Ohio/Paint Valley)
----6-2 point guard Brandon Wade (Ann Arbor, Mich./Skyline)
----Comprises the tallest single recruiting class in school history.

So it's good to see somewhat of a changing of the guard in the A10 and to see a school considered to be holding back the League moving quickly forward in Talent, HC and $40 million in renovations
UMASS making some noise too - we can't afford to sleep on this Wednesday night

A10 has brought in some excellent Freshmen and Transfers this season and some excellent Head Coaches. If it were a stock I would be buying.

Preseason A10 Coaches Predictions:
1. Rhode Island (27) 390
2. St. Bonaventure (1) 345
3. Saint Joseph's 300
4. VCU 299
5. Dayton 266
6. Davidson 245
7. Saint Louis 225
8. Richmond 198
9. La Salle 194
10. George Mason 140
11. George Washington 132
12. UMass 79
13. Fordham 66
14. Duquesne 61

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-bask ... 17aah.html
http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-bask ... 17aac.html
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
ramster wrote:Dambrot is a great Coach. There was some talk of Dambrot possibly taking the open Dayton job. I think he would have been a great pick for Dayton - thought so at the time.
Duquesne won this game with Eric Williams Jr having fouled out too. Williams is a strong candidate for A10 Freshman of the Year.
Dambrot is well on his way to being named coach of the year.

How good can he make Duquesne??
They were pretty good 7 to 10 years ago, but if he gets them to at large level that would really be wild.
PeterRamTime,
I did not take you to mean Duquesne would get to an at large level this year, did you?
No not this year. In the future. Looks like they are on their way to getting to that level though. Hard to imagine that.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

An awful lot of height coming in next year for Duquense but how good are they?

Holloway has not played in the last 2 games for Umass. Anyone know why that is? They are on TV at 5:00 today so we may get an update as to his status..
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In their last home contest Iona barely squeezed out a unimpressive win over woeful Siena, but today against a strong Rider team, Iona showed an impressive 57% shooting skill beyond the arc to take a convincing win, 91-64.

Holy Cross falls at home to Boston U., 54-40. The Crusaders opened the season with two nice wins and then gave URI a challenge before losing the contest and then in the following fourteen games, HC managed only two wins and the team now appears doomed to the Patriot League bottom.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

eli#10 wrote:An awful lot of height coming in next year for Duquense but how good are they?

Holloway has not played in the last 2 games for Umass. Anyone know why that is? They are on TV at 5:00 today so we may get an update as to his status..
by MATT VAUTOUR
@MattVautourDHG
Saturday, January 06, 2018

The already short-handed UMass men's basketball team will be missing two starters when the Minutemen tip off at Dayton, at noon Saturday.

Versatile senior C.J. Anderson and junior center Rashaan Holloway have both been suspended for the game and didn't make the trip to Ohio.

According to UMass coach Matt McCall, the suspensions weren't related to each other. He said both were for "failing to live up to team standards." He stressed neither suspension is for anything legal related. Anderson will miss just one game. The length of Holloway's absence has not been determined.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote:In their last home contest Iona barely squeezed out a unimpressive win over woeful Siena, but today against a strong Rider team, Iona showed an impressive 57% shooting skill beyond the arc to take a convincing win, 91-64.

Holy Cross falls at home to Boston U., 54-40. The Crusaders opened the season with two nice wins and then gave URI a challenge before losing the contest and then in the following fourteen games, HC managed only two wins and the team now appears doomed to the Patriot League bottom.
Can't believe we gave them a home and home and we are supposedly giving WV a neutral and home.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
eli#10 wrote:An awful lot of height coming in next year for Duquense but how good are they?

by MATT VAUTOUR
@MattVautourDHG
Saturday, January 06, 2018

The already short-handed UMass men's basketball team will be missing two starters when the Minutemen tip off at Dayton, at noon Saturday.

Versatile senior C.J. Anderson and junior center Rashaan Holloway have both been suspended for the game and didn't make the trip to Ohio.

According to UMass coach Matt McCall, the suspensions weren't related to each other. He said both were for "failing to live up to team standards." He stressed neither suspension is for anything legal related. Anderson will miss just one game. The length of Holloway's absence has not been determined.
Here is a thread on UMASS Message Board. Some seem to think it is weight related. They say he has not played to expectations this year.

http://umasshoops.com/newboard/viewtopi ... &start=720
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CJ Anderson is playing today, Sunday, for the game versus Fordham.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

theblueram wrote:
Obadiah wrote:In their last home contest Iona barely squeezed out a unimpressive win over woeful Siena, but today against a strong Rider team, Iona showed an impressive 57% shooting skill beyond the arc to take a convincing win, 91-64.

Can't believe we gave them a home and home and we are supposedly giving WV a neutral and home.

Yeah it sucks to go out there but I believe they gave us 2 home games to 1, which also means the deal was done probably close to 3 years ago now. Also, we're playing them at DCU and Rhody fans will probably outnumber them by a significant amount. Maybe even to Pizzitola levels.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

At Rose Hill gym, Davidson put up 15 threes on 26 attempts (57.7%) to rout Fordham, 75-45. How URI managed to lose to Fordham last year at Ryan is a real mystery!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

UMASS pulls it out over St. Joe's. Enjoy it while you can.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UMass won the battle of threes as they put up 10 on 23 attempts and SJU only put in 4 of 20. The UMass and Davidson visits to the Ryan Center will see a rain of threes.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

#3 Virginia closes out the week's action with an easy win over NC State, 68-51. The Cavaliers move their overall record to 16-1 and keep their ACC mark unblemished at 5-0.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Umass is concerning me..... the kid Pipkins is a real special player. I know we have more overall talent but we are going to need a to control this kid somehow because he can just take over.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

UMass was down a dozen at halftime, Joes came out and scored first four of the second half to go up by 16. And then UMass put up 47 points over the games final 18 minutes, including outscoring Joes 39-18 over the next 15 minutes, and held on for the win.

Scoring 72 points isn't that incredible, but putting up 47 in the second half after scoring only 25 in the first - nearly doubling their output - is pretty wild. Joes must be dumbfounded.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Tom98 wrote:Umass is concerning me..... the kid Pipkins is a real special player. I know we have more overall talent but we are going to need a to control this kid somehow because he can just take over.
Luckily that is basically what we do. We take the other team's best guy away pretty consistently - especially if that guy is a guard. I like Jarvis to get decent minutes and spend a lot of time with Pipkins.

I worry much more about truly balanced and deep teams.

Of the 26 teams we will play this regular season, UMass isn't in the top half of them. There are no sure things in conference, but there is nothing about UMass that is especially concerning.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Pipkins kind of reminds me of Fatts.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dowtin will be on Pipkins. He always takes on the opponents best guard. He is our best defender.
Dan Hurley said they had Dowtin on Adams for most of the game with Terrell taking him for a short period.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Certainly when Dowtin is in the game and Jarvis is not - which will be a decent amount of minutes - I'd expect that he will guard Pipkins. I just think back to the job Jarvis did on Cartwright in the Providence game. Cartwright and Pipkins are exactly the same size; Dowtin's length can be a real advantage, but I think against guys built like Pipkins and Cartwright it can actually be a disadvantage at times. Obviously it is tougher to shoot over taller guys, so that is a plus, but it can also be difficult for lanky long striders to stay in front of scat back type of guards. Adams is 6'2" so it is a perfect matchup for Dowtin. Pipkins at a generous 5'11'' with a lot of lateral quickness is probably less so.

We definitely will not see any drastic changes to the lineup or the rotation, I just think you might see slightly more of Jarvis than typical when we have a full roster, and that he will get a lot of Pipkins when he's in the game. That's all I'm saying.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Except Pipkins can knock down threes and Fatts doesn't. In the Bonnies game, Fatts was 0-2 from beyond the arc which brings his record in the nine games since rivalry week, when he put in 5 of 12, to 5-32, 16%. Fatts' playing time is averaging 18 minutes per game, well below the PT of Dowtin and Robinson, but Fatts has almost taken as many 3 point shots as those two combined. Fatts has other dimensions to his game, but of late three point shooting is not one of them.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Obadiah wrote:Except Pipkins can knock down threes and Fatts doesn't. In the Bonnies game, Fatts was 0-2 from beyond the arc which brings his record in the nine games since rivalry week, when he put in 5 of 12, to 5-32, 16%. Fatts' playing time is averaging 18 minutes per game, well below the PT of Dowtin and Robinson, but Fatts has almost taken as many 3 point shots as those two combined. Fatts has other dimensions to his game, but of late three point shooting is not one of them.
I'd rather see Fatts taking it to the hoop. He's very creative and pretty efficient when he does that. And if he gets fouled, I believe he is shooting free throws at 90% or so.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think his 3 pt shooting will come along as he matures. Pipkins is a sophomore, so he has more experience.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I agree on Fatts taking to the hoops and he is a good foul shooter, so why is he taking so many threes? On both his three point attempts in the SBU game, he was wide open, so maybe the competition is on to his game. As for UMass, both Pipkins and Carl Pierre can hit the three and they have taken a combined 230 attempts. Pierre hits them at a 49% rate and Pipkins at a 40% rate, so Fatts has got a lot of maturing to do to catch up.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:
theblueram wrote:

Yeah it sucks to go out there but I believe they gave us 2 home games to 1, which also means the deal was done probably close to 3 years ago now. Also, we're playing them at DCU and Rhody fans will probably outnumber them by a significant amount. Maybe even to Pizzitola levels.
Correct, it was a two for one, not a home and home
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Certainly when Dowtin is in the game and Jarvis is not - which will be a decent amount of minutes - I'd expect that he will guard Pipkins. I just think back to the job Jarvis did on Cartwright in the Providence game. Cartwright and Pipkins are exactly the same size; Dowtin's length can be a real advantage, but I think against guys built like Pipkins and Cartwright it can actually be a disadvantage at times. Obviously it is tougher to shoot over taller guys, so that is a plus, but it can also be difficult for lanky long striders to stay in front of scat back type of guards. Adams is 6'2" so it is a perfect matchup for Dowtin. Pipkins at a generous 5'11'' with a lot of lateral quickness is probably less so.

We definitely will not see any drastic changes to the lineup or the rotation, I just think you might see slightly more of Jarvis than typical when we have a full roster, and that he will get a lot of Pipkins when he's in the game. That's all I'm saying.
From what I have observed, Dowtin gets the top guard on the opposition regardless of height, and even the smaller guards Dowtin has no issue keeping up with in speed.
Saturday Dowtin played a team high 34 minutes and now leads the team in minutes. He is definitely becoming the guy Hurley wants on the floor as much as possible.
Surprising to me on Saturday is that Dan did not make his first substitution until the 12:15 mark in the 1st half. A long time to go with the starting 5 compared to most games. 30 seconds later he subbed again and had Garrett and Russell in at the same time with Dowtin and Mathews on the bench. He plays Garrett and Russell together quite often. Russell then takes Dowtin's PG role and Garrett floats to the wing where he has been very effective taking the 3 point shot. He had some big 3's from the wing on Saturday.
Garrett played
I wish now that I had looked more closely as to who took Adams for the minutes that Dowtin was out. Hurley mentioned they had used Terrell some on Adams. When I focused the most on the Adams matchup it was always Dowtin in the 2nd half - I missed those 1st half minutes when Dowtin was out some. I think Russell took Adams while Dowtin was out but not 100% sure.
Garrett played 23 minutes Saturday and shot the ball well plus had 5 rebounds. He brings instant energy to the floor.
Will be interesting to watch the defensive assignments Wednesday night
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster, I don't think you need to extol the virtues of Jeff Dowtin here, at least not to me. Jeff is great, and he's been almost as great on the defensive end taking on some of the toughest matchups as he has been at taking care of the basketball on offense. I'm not predicting that Jeff will see a drastic reduction in minutes or that Jarvis is going to play the entire game so he can exclusively guard Pipkins.

Here is what I am saying: in games with EC at full-go this season, Jarvis is averaging under 20 minutes per game, compared to 30 minutes with no EC or limited EC. My guess is that you will see more than 20 minutes of Jarvis in this game (assuming it plays out somewhat normally and no weird foul or injury situations crop up), and that when he is on the floor he will be asked to do the same thing to Pipkins as he did to Cartwright, since the two guys' physical profiles are so similar. I think we'll see lots of Jeff and Jarvis in the game at the same time, as we usually do. Jeff has been tremendous and this is not an argument by me to take minutes from him.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dowtin averaging 10ppg and 7apg in A10 action.
As the floor general on the best team in the league those are All league numbers. My guess is at end of year voters will be deciding between Stan and Jeff for a spot on 3rd team. Doubt they will both get it since Jared and EC are locks and can’t see the league giving us 4
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Fatts is already a folk hero here. But at this point in their careers, I'd much rather have Jarvis on the floor. A couple of games ago, he only got 11 minutes. Not enough, imo.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TP,
The reason I mention Dowtin's performance is that I think that is why we will not see Garrett on Pipkins much. If Dowtin plays 35-36 minutes, as I would expect, I believe all 35-36 minutes will be in covering Pipkins.

For the 5 minutes Dowtin does not play then my guess is Fatts or Terrell covers Pipkins. Fatts has been taking the PG duties when Dowtin comes out.

But you might be right, Garrett may get Pipkins duty, we will see. I'll be watching the Pipkins defense match up closer than I did the Adams match up to see how we handle this, especially with Pipkins being on fire of late. Love talking defense relating to this team - was not so much a subject during the 21st Century that Hurley was not in Kingston :D :D
0 x