Week # 10 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Week # 10 - Games of Interest

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm going against VCU until further notice. I don't like that we only play them once there. I'd like them to lose to give us a cushion against them. Plus, Dayton is a team we play twice, so them being good helps us
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Every Dayton 3 was wide open. VCU defense is garbage
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

You're getting your wish. Dayton is killing defenseless VCU.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Dayton with 22 assists on 24 fgs in the first half, including TWELVE 3’s.

Dayton on top 66-41 at half. Yes, at half.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bizarro land. Tillman has 20 and 7 for VCU, the rest have taken the night off.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Man who would have thought we'd see the day where you could say that kind of stuff about the VCU defense.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

TruePoint wrote:The Brown/Yale game is not the most high profile game ever, but I'm kind of curious to see that game. Yale is favored by 7.5 and rpiforecast likes them by even more than that, but I'm not totally convinced. I thought when I have seen Brown that they've showed some signs of life. I am cautiously optimistic about Brown being an upper-half Ivy team this year (not that it makes a huge difference for URI).
Brown hung tough (and covered) before falling to Yale on the road, 78-72. Had cut it to one with 0:29 left. This road conference loss is not throwing me off the scent! I think I like Brow - go Bears!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:Man who would have thought we'd see the day where you could say that kind of stuff about the VCU defense.
From "havoc" to, go ahead - "have some"...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok Dayton trashing VCU , Flyers tough at home

PC about to take on DePaul any rooting interest ??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RPI RPI
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think PC's 2 games with DePaul are the only 2 remaining that would be considered a bad loss for them.....

Not so with our league.....
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

rambone 78 wrote:I think PC's 2 games with DePaul are the only 2 remaining that would be considered a bad loss for them.....

Not so with our league.....
They still have Georgetown too, but yea it’s crazy the difference between the average big east conference schedule vs the average a10 conference schedule.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This PC-DePaul broadcast is annoying.

St. John’s would be another bad loss in the Big East.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

St Johns are going to have to lose some more games before they’re considered a bad loss, currently 60 rpi and 78 on kenpom.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

josephski wrote:St Johns are going to have to lose some more games before they’re considered a bad loss, currently 60 rpi and 78 on kenpom.
I trust that they will. They’re already 0-5 in conference and got blown out by DePaul and lost to Georgetown, both at home. Plus, LoVett quit.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like having the coaches miked up interesting
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Our game at Dayton will be one of our biggest tests
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye Friars bye bye !!

Enjoy the NIT

Bad loss @ DePaul
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:This PC-DePaul broadcast is annoying.
Super distracting. It was cool to listen to the coaches but I felt like I had no clue what was going on in the game flow. Maybe I just can't do two things at once...

As a side note, does Ed Cooley know what a vampire is? This is important to me and I need to know.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Super distracting. It was cool to listen to the coaches but I felt like I had no clue what was going on in the game flow. Maybe I just can't do two things at once...

As a side note, does Ed Cooley know what a vampire is? This is important to me and I need to know.
Judging by what I heard tonight, no, absolutely not.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote:Bye bye Friars bye bye !!

Enjoy the NIT

Bad loss @ DePaul
A little premature with that comment. Shocking runs in this game.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:

Enjoy the NIT

Bad loss @ DePaul
PC scored 20 unanswered points in the second half. 20!!!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah didn't see the 22-0 run coming my bad
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

Enjoy the NIT

Bad loss @ DePaul
PC scored 20 unanswered points in the second half. 20!!!!
20-0 run right after they had gone 10+ minutes without a FG and went from well ahead to well behind. Weird game.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:

I went in thinking it would be really cool, and then after a few minutes ended up being more like "I wish these guys would stop yelling, I'm trying to watch a game here!"
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ace wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

Lol!
What is this vampire talk?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

PeterRamTime wrote:
ace wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

Lol!
A player on PC (Bullock, I think?) was bleeding and they had to stop play. One of the officials was upset about it for some reason and Cooley yelled out, "It's not like he wanted to bleed. He can't make himself bleed on purpose, he's not a vampire!"

Yeah that's not a thing associated with vampires. If he was drinking another player's blood then maybe...
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Saturday action in the A-10 starts with the URI - St. Bonaventure game at 11 AM. On ESPNU.

The remaining schedule is:

La Salle at Duquesne. 12:30 PM. On NBCSN.

Saint Louis at George Mason. 2:30 PM. On NBCSN.

George Washington at Richmond. 4:30 PM. On NBCSN.

Games involving URI OOC opponents:

Georgetown at Seton Hall. 12 Noon. On FS1.

Charleston at Elon. 7 PM.

NJIT at Florida Gulf Coast. 7 PM. On ESPN3.

Utah State at Nevada. 8 PM. On ESPN3.

Alabama at LSU. 8:30 PM. On SECN.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seton Hall is honoring their 1993 Big East Championship team at the game against Georgetown today. Heard the point guard from that team has other plans. I hope I get there in time to get the PJ Carlesimo bobblehead they’re giving out.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

adam914 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

I went in thinking it would be really cool, and then after a few minutes ended up being more like "I wish these guys would stop yelling, I'm trying to watch a game here!"
I just couldn't take it, it was very distracting. Finally turned it off and watched an episode of Narcos.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
ace wrote:
Lol!
A player on PC (Bullock, I think?) was bleeding and they had to stop play. One of the officials was upset about it for some reason and Cooley yelled out, "It's not like he wanted to bleed. He can't make himself bleed on purpose, he's not a vampire!"

Yeah that's not a thing associated with vampires. If he was drinking another player's blood then maybe...

Dude you need to lighten up, Ed was clearly trying to just be comical. Games get tense and can be stressful, sometimes coaches try to keep it light some times. I'm sure DH makes some jokes to keep things light at times. You're legit being critical of a nonsensical comment.. come on now lol
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

TBH, I thought the FS1 broadcast was pretty cool. Everyone saying they didn't like it is just because it was Ed Cooley and the Friars.. if this was for a URI-Fordham game, we'd be loving it! I think the Big East/FS1 chose the correct game to try this out. You get Ed Cooley, a coach as animated as anyone else in the country vs a weak DePaul team. I would have been opposed to it if it were say, Xavier-Nova only because it would take away from the game IMO. I thought it was pretty unique and cool to get an "inside" look at the huddles, sideline and locker rooms. I would not be opposed to DH being mic'd up on the side, would be pretty cool... but oh wait, we don't have an awesome TV deal. Ugh!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody1992 wrote:TBH, I thought the FS1 broadcast was pretty cool. Everyone saying they didn't like it is just because it was Ed Cooley and the Friars.. if this was for a URI-Fordham game, we'd be loving it! I think the Big East/FS1 chose the correct game to try this out. You get Ed Cooley, a coach as animated as anyone else in the country vs a weak DePaul team. I would have been opposed to it if it were say, Xavier-Nova only because it would take away from the game IMO. I thought it was pretty unique and cool to get an "inside" look at the huddles, sideline and locker rooms. I would not be opposed to DH being mic'd up on the side, would be pretty cool... but oh wait, we don't have an awesome TV deal. Ugh!
You’re a Friar fan who picked a Rhody handle on a URI basketball message board. Stop. I couldn’t care less about the Friars and Cooley.

I didn’t like the three screen view. I didn’t like the fact that most things coaches say during games are brief, useless phrases (cut, go, Jalen, Eli, go go go go). I didn’t like the jarring differences in volume. I didn’t like missing out on the regular announcers background info on the teams.
3 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

ace wrote:
Rhody1992 wrote:TBH, I thought the FS1 broadcast was pretty cool. Everyone saying they didn't like it is just because it was Ed Cooley and the Friars.. if this was for a URI-Fordham game, we'd be loving it! I think the Big East/FS1 chose the correct game to try this out. You get Ed Cooley, a coach as animated as anyone else in the country vs a weak DePaul team. I would have been opposed to it if it were say, Xavier-Nova only because it would take away from the game IMO. I thought it was pretty unique and cool to get an "inside" look at the huddles, sideline and locker rooms. I would not be opposed to DH being mic'd up on the side, would be pretty cool... but oh wait, we don't have an awesome TV deal. Ugh!
You’re a Friar fan who picked a Rhody handle on a URI basketball message board. Stop. I couldn’t care less about the Friars and Cooley.

I didn’t like the three screen view. I didn’t like the fact that most things coaches say during games are brief, useless phrases (cut, go, Jalen, Eli, go go go go). I didn’t like the jarring differences in volume. I didn’t like missing out on the regular announcers background info on the teams.

You're wrong but whatever you say bro. I KNOW for a FACT, if DH was mic'd up for a game you would be LOVING it, I would too. We all would so stop with the bullshit
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody1992 wrote:
ace wrote:

You're wrong but whatever you say bro. I KNOW for a FACT, if DH was mic'd up for a game you would be LOVING it, I would too. We all would so stop with the bullshit

Bro :lol:

I’m not part of the “we” here, and neither are you.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody1992 wrote:
ace wrote:

Of course its going to be more interesting to fans of the teams being featured (which is why you enjoyed it). I don't think you are breaking any news there. It being PC had nothing to do with me not liking it. If it had been two random Big 12 teams I would have felt the same way. But yeah, of course if it was URI and I was able to hear Hurley it would be more interesting to me since I am a fan of that team.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I liked it...thought it was a nice change-up...would I want it every game? probably not, but it was a nice change of pace. Hopefully, there are more of them...lot of coaches I'd like to hear...Frank Martin, Calipari, would be interesting...
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Tied at 88 all, La Salle and Duquesne are currently headed into their third overtime period on NBCSN.

It is hard not to like the way that Duquesne is playing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Native wrote:Tied at 88 all, La Salle and Duquesne are currently headed into their third overtime period on NBCSN.

I'm watching. Was amazing how Duquesne tied it up at the end of the 1st OT. Game was thought to be out of reach for them in the last minute of that OT.
Eric Williams Jr has fouled out for Duquesne.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
Native wrote:Tied at 88 all, La Salle and Duquesne are currently headed into their third overtime period on NBCSN.

I'm watching. Was amazing how Duquesne tied it up at the end of the 1st OT. Game was thought to be out of reach for them in the last minute of that OT.
Eric Williams Jr has fouled out for Duquesne.
2 excellent A10 Coaches in Dambrot and Giannini
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Both are excellent coaches, but the difference is that Dambrot’s team is now 4-1, while Giannini’s kids are 1-4.

Duquesne won this afternoon’s game in the third overtime, 101-94
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dambrot is a great Coach. There was some talk of Dambrot possibly taking the open Dayton job. I think he would have been a great pick for Dayton - thought so at the time.
Duquesne won this game with Eric Williams Jr having fouled out too. Williams is a strong candidate for A10 Freshman of the Year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody1992 wrote:
ace wrote:

Rhody1992,
When PC played URI this year which team did you root for...........serious question
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In other results for the day:

Charleston lost its early lead to fall at Elon, 63-58.

Nevada routed Utah State, 83-57.

Florida Gulf Coast easily beat NJIT, 68-54.

Alabama got a road win at LSU, 74-66.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote:Dambrot is a great Coach. There was some talk of Dambrot possibly taking the open Dayton job. I think he would have been a great pick for Dayton - thought so at the time.
Duquesne won this game with Eric Williams Jr having fouled out too. Williams is a strong candidate for A10 Freshman of the Year.
Dambrot is well on his way to being named coach of the year.

How good can he make Duquesne??
They were pretty good 7 to 10 years ago, but if he gets them to at large level that would really be wild.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Duquesne has 349th worst schedule strength according to KenPom. LONG way to go before we can talk at large chances with them.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Duquesne at 13-5 and Dambrot are the big and pleasant surprises of the A-10. But what is puzzling is the attendance for this exciting contest was 2,145, a less than half full arena. Especially puzzling given that all the Duquesne residence halls are located close to the Palumbo Center and that classes at Duquesne began this past Wednesday.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Duquesne has 349th worst schedule strength according to KenPom. LONG way to go before we can talk at large chances with them.

Duquesne has ZERO shot at an at large. Even with a record of 13-5, the Duke have an RPI of #216. They have played a really bad schedule as referenced above. They have no real good wins and bad losses to the likes of Robert Morris, Cornell, Pitt, and Southern Illinois. Dambrot still should be given a lot of credit given the program's recent state. Not much was expected of them. He has them playing hard.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhode Island is the only A10 team with an at-large chance right now, and the way the conference is set up this year, playing your way into that chance is very unlikely to happen. Anyone else will have to win the tournament.
2 x