1/9 | Saint Louis Billikens | 7PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/9 | Saint Louis Billikens | 7PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ramster »

Berry!!

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Another simple, well timed, not flashy example of how Jeff Dowtin makes this team go....

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

All true, but this team is also past the point where we should be happy just because it was a W.

There's nothing wrong with legitimate critique of how they played, regardless of the result of the game. Yes, they won, thats great...they also looked like crap in the process and if they play that game against a better team that's a loss
Umm..no. You should always be happy because you got a win. What the fuck else is there to be happy about them? There are no perfect games. The only thing you get past as a good team, is taking positives from losses. Once you’re good there are no moral victories, only actual ones.

That doesn’t mean that every win needs to be pretty...you just need to win. In fact, you could say that the most common streak in all good teams is the ability to win ugly games when nothing goes right or to plan.

Basketball is very easy to be a fan of, if you understand that no one finishes with a perfect season, everyone in the top 25 will have head scratching losses, and that getting wins in your conference are always good no matter how they looked.

I must say I do enjoy reading your legitimate criticism though...very hard hitting and insightful:

“fuck it, lose this damn game. maybe they'll finally get the wake up call that you cant go through the motions against anyone in conference play”
sorry, but no. as soon as you get complacent enough to just be happy you won, youre screwed.

look at the Patriots...never good enough, always believe they can improve, never happy with how they played. that's what builds sustained success. never be satisfied, never stop improving.
Correct. Our coach and players should never be satisfied. They're the ones competing.

Considering no one on this board is in the locker room and coaching this team (thank god), we can have a different opinion. Like being happy that our historically disappointing team is winning games, is top in their conference, and is considered a near-lock for their SECOND CONSECUTIVE NCAA appearance after 2 decades of none.

As a fan, you're given a lot more leeway and should be much more supportive of your team, ESPECIALLY after a win. Supporting your team when they're doing well (spoiler for the kids at home, winning = doing well) is what fans should do. Holding them to task when they aren't performing to the standards (winning, again, the standard is winning) is what fans should do as well. We're winning. It's wild that I'm even questioning fan's supporting this team IN THE MIDST OF ANOTHER OF POSSIBLY THE BEST SEASONS IN THE HISTORY OF THIS HISTORICALLY UNDERPERFORMING BASKETBALL PROGRAM.

The goal of this program is NCAA appearances and wins. As always, but now its a reality.

Comparing our lovable, yet historically irrelevant basketball program, to possibly the greatest professional football team of all-time, in an unprecedented run - possibly the greatest 17 year span in the history of organized sport - is erroneous. Yes, as Patriot fans the criticism is a little bit different. There are 16 games and the Patriots are so good that anything short of a super bowl appearance, if not a super bowl victory, is considered disappointing. Please revive me from the dead when URI has been to 11 final fours, 6 in a row, been to 7 national championship games, won 5 over the next 17 years, and is in a near-lock position to win a 6th. I will have had 18 billion heart attacks by that point.

Duke fans maybe, and a few other blue blood elite basketball program fans, could possibly make a case for holding a standard where they are angry and disappointed in how they played in wins (not sure why, as that's a horrible way to go through life), but certainly not a team who has been to the NCAA tournament once since half of their undergraduate students were even born. In a surprising turn of events, every single team since 1972 has lost a game during a season - even the national champions. So apparently losing a game (or even winning a game you didn't look great in) doesn't end your season. Wild.

I've been following college basketball decently close for a while now, and I don't remember the section on the selection sheet that says "ugly wins, wins they should've lost, wins that fans complained about, wins that if it were up to some people on a message board would be losses to "wake up" the team, etc."

Wins = good. Wins in conference = even better. Wins on the road in conference = the best.

A new thing to pay attention to this year, is the changing of the selection process to a "quadrant format" rather than the traditional 1-50, 51-100, etc. The tournament selection committee even recognized that road games are much harder than home games, so much so, that they weight games played on the road heavier than home games. Road wins matter so much, that beating the #240 team on the road is equal to a victory over the #86 team at home. (both count as a Q3 victory).

The more wins we have in conference, the better seed we get in the conference tournament. The better seed we get in the conference tournament, the more rest we get and an easier path to a conference title we'll have. Win the conference title - that checks off a goal, gives the fans something to celebrate, and again gets you a better seed in the NCAA tournament.

If you win your conference tournament, and you combine that with a lot of regular season wins, you will get a better seed in the NCAA tournament. If you did so well in the regular season and conference, you might even get a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Why is a 4 seed important you ask? Well friends, that's where preferential seeding comes in to play. What is preferential seeding you might ask? Well fans who think winning games on the road in conference is somehow indicative of a bad thing - it's where you get put in a bracket who's regional games (sweet 16 and elite 8) are played closest to your home campus. Why is it extra important this year? Because the 2018 east regionals are in Boston. Boston, which is the closest possible regional site you could ever have.

With all of that knowledge that you now possess - I would hope you begin to see that we should all be ecstatic to collect wins, especially true road wins in conference.

I personally, and I am sure a lot of other fans, would enjoy watching URI play a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 game in person - for the cost of gas to get to Boston and the ticket to get into the game.

So in summation: STOP WHINING ABOUT HOW WE WON A GOD DAMN CONFERENCE GAME ON THE ROAD AND BE HAPPY WE GOT A W YOU MISERABLE PERSON. :D :D :D
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:Surprised no one commenting on the zone we employed for last 5 minutes of game. Completely stopped them, I think they had 63 points and scored 1 bucket during the time we played the zone.
I mentioned the zone at the time.
TruePoint wrote:Zone huh?
I guess I didn't realize that it was so effective at the time - I recognized it worked to get some stops but didn't realize we only gave up one bucket down the stretch. Good catch.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

PillPushr wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
PillPushr wrote:Does anyone know if CBS has an app where there is a replay of the game without showing the score (like WatchESPN has)? I recorded the game last night, but of course it got screwed up at the end and just cut off with 5 minutes to go.
Im uploading it to youtube now... will be in processing for an hour or so though. Ill post it here when its done
Sweet. I'll have to probably start recording the game/show after on my Hulu app to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Alright here ya go. I didnt have any time to trim it down or cut out commercials so this is just the raw stream, sorry!

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:I really don’t get anyone who complains about a win.

For the umpteenth time..conference games are hard, no matter who you are. Conference games on the road are hard...no matter who you are.

Good teams are fully capable of losing to bad teams especially on the road. We didn’t lose the game. We found a way to win a close dirty game outside of our building on a night we didn’t play well.

The line was anywhere from 6.5-7.5. We won by 7. Sounds to me like we did our job.

All true, but this team is also past the point where we should be happy just because it was a W.

There's nothing wrong with legitimate critique of how they played, regardless of the result of the game. Yes, they won, thats great...they also looked like crap in the process and if they play that game against a better team that's a loss
Da_Process_Survivor,
You are not alone in your critique of the performance last night. So I went and compared to the Season Averages:
Season Ave vs Saint Louis Game
URI FG%: 46.4% - 46.3% = Even
URI FT%: 69.6% - 72% = 2.4% points better vs SLU
URI 3FG%: 36.3% - 30.8% = 5.5% points worse vs SLU
URI Rebounds: 33.8 - 30 = 3.8 rebounds worse vs SLU
URI Assists: 14.7 - 19 = 4.3 assists better vs SLU
Turnovers: 10.8 - 11 = Even
URI Steals: 8.1 - 7 = 1.1 worse vs SLU
URI Blocks: 3.8 - 8 = 4.2 better vs SLU
URI Fouls: 21.1 - 24 = 3 fouls worse vs SLU
SLU FG%: 45.5% - 41.7% = 3.8% points better vs SLU
SLU 3FG%: 31.0% - 11.1% = 20% points better vs SLU

We seem to have played fairly close to our Season Averages versus SLU and the game was on the road where you would expect a poorer performance

Of note rebounds were worse by 3.8, however SLU played a big lineup and several of their big men are strong and heavy too
Assists were better - we passed well to get 19 assists versus SLU only 10 assists
Blocks were double our average with Langevine blocking 3 shots and Robinson 2 shots
Most impressive is how we held SLU below season averages in shooting percentages (defensive pressure)
SLU shot only 41.7% on FGs (season ave = 45.5%) and only 11.1% on 3FGs (season ave = 31%).

If SLU Hits the season average for opponents in 3FGs then they get 2 more 3's and the game is practically into OT

But overall I don't find evidence that "we looked like crap in the process"
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

To further TP's point, after SLU took the 63-62 lead, URI closed the game on a 10-2 run. This has happened a few times this season where a team got close, but URI closed on a strong run. While we complained about it at the time (neither team did much scoring in a few minute stretch), URI got the steals an the points when absolutely necessary. This is another game the would have lost in past seasons, but have learned how to pull out and win!
Last edited by steviep123 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yep! Winning the close games!!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Gotta love the love from CBS sports!
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

(caption writer needs an editor but still, this is nice)
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great stuff!
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

One more thing: We played like we'd never seen a 1-3-1 before.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

One more thing: We finished the game with more points than the other team. I liked that part.
10 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote:One more thing: We finished the game with more points than the other team. I liked that part.
One more thing: nope actually that's it. We won. On to the Bonnies.

It's wild that some of us have to defend this team after a WIN - but alas, here we are. We have a phenomenal fan base.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Disappointing and depressing that the Providence Journal had to use a stringer for the game at St. Louis. How desperate has this paper become that they can't afford to send their own reporter to a road game. What does it cost??? .... a round trip air fare, couple of nights in a hotel and some food amounts to no more than $1000. For nine road games, generously stated,that comes to less than $10 grand. Most newspaper have cut back on national/international news, leaving that focus to newspapers with a more national orientation, and have concentrated their own resources on stronger local coverage. With ProJo you get a cutback in both areas.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Obadiah wrote:Disappointing and depressing that the Providence Journal had to use a stringer for the game at St. Louis. How desperate has this paper become that they can't afford to send their own reporter to a road game. What does it cost??? .... a round trip air fare, couple of nights in a hotel and some food amounts to no more than $1000. For nine road games, generously stated,that comes to less than $10 grand. Most newspaper have cut back on national/international news, leaving that focus to newspapers with a more national orientation, and have concentrated their own resources on stronger local coverage. With ProJo you get a cutback in both areas.
Before this becomes another conspiracy theory - understand that everyone at the Projo, including the most clicked on reporter who covers the Pats - has to cut back on trips.

The reality of being in print media is that you need to save $$ wherever you can. The company that owns the Journal has had to do it via travel costs.

Yes, it sucks - but it's the same for every other team the Projo covers.

If you add up all the games where it costs to get a stringer versus pay airfare, food, hotel, etc for a writer - it isn't an insignificant difference.

Now if we weren't a second class program and could charter large enough planes to fit a support staff and the press, maybe we'd have a different argument.

Until that happens, just understand that there isn't some plot out there to bury Rhody basketball coverage.

That said I do believe Koch will be at every game the rest of the way.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Stop putting word in my mouth just so you can make a point. My comment had absolutely nothing to do with a conspiracy to bury URI basketball, but a comment on how the ProJo operates and the differences versus other papers facing the same cost challenges.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Obadiah wrote:Stop putting word in my mouth just so you can make a point. My comment had absolutely nothing to do with a conspiracy to bury URI basketball, but a comment on how the ProJo operates and the differences versus other papers facing the same cost challenges.
OB I meant absolutely none of that at you, nor to put words in your mouth. It was a caution sign because there's a whole thread dedicated to "Projo Fairness" and the perceived notion by a few on this board that there is a press machine dedicated to making sure everyone in this state likes PC more than URI.

I just put that out there to prevent this thread from derailing into what the other one became.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I apologize if any of my points were mentioned before, but here goes:

I think this was a good victory for us. I think this board under-estimated SLU, from what I saw they have some really good athletes on their roster. If they had any depth they would scare the hell out of me.

I was surprised to see us come out in zone during the 2nd half....but IT WORKED. I give Hurley and the coaching staff credit for that adjustment....an adjustment that NEVER would have happened under the previous regime.

Len Elmore SUCKS!!!! If I ever have to listen to him again, I will poke out my ear drums. Awful announcer, it's like the point he made was actually the opposite of what was happening.

Overall I think this was a GREAT conference road win against a scrappy, athletic team that was short-handed.
3 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks Blue Man, for the clarification.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:
adam914 wrote:One more thing: We finished the game with more points than the other team. I liked that part.

It's wild that some of us have to defend this team after a WIN - but alas, here we are. We have a phenomenal fan base.
One more thing: We're alone in first place in the conference. Honest question, when was the last time we could say that as a program?
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Fans don't often account for teams getting better with the more games they play......SLU may be one of those teams.....poor performances early with coaches experimenting with lineups and injuries can cost a team early in the season.....some teams get much better after their RPI's have been ruined in the OOC portion of their schedule....

...SLU was bigger than we were......their backcourt and their frontcourt.....and I don't mean just height.....they were beefier....they used their size to their advantage......our guards were not quick enough to disrupt their offense.....some of this may be due to the way the refs called the game.....

I believe that Jeff and Jarvis are playing the point exactly the way the coach wants them too......especially when we are attempting to kill the clock in the second half.....I also believe when Jared gets the ball late in the shot clock in the second half the coach wants him to shoot and not pass....he is our most clutch scorer and he is usually an excellent clutch-time free throw shooter.....so we don't get a lot of assists from him.....

I consider this a good win for us.......I think all our remaining road games are going to be this tough...
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

More cute kids! And first-place basketball players!

3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:More cute kids! And first-place basketball players!

I went to school there in 6th grade!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tiverton definitely supports URI. About half of my high school class went to Rhody.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Looks like a lot of the kids are wearing RI knit caps......hope our guys brought them there to give the kids.....little things like that create kid fans who turn into adult fans.....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It's so nice to be where we are. It took decades, but it's nice that the current students get to feel this excitement and pride of having a great program and basketball team. Can't wait for Saturday!!!!
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ramulous wrote:Looks like a lot of the kids are wearing RI knit caps......hope our guys brought them there to give the kids.....little things like that create kid fans who turn into adult fans.....
Effective Rhody indoctrination.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I would love to see the look on the faces of parents, who are PC fans, when these kids come in the house wearing a Rhody knit cap.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:I would love to see the look on the faces of parents, who are PC fans, when these kids come in the house wearing a Rhody knit cap.
It's not a problem Billyboy,
They will simply tell their parents that it's a good thing because when URI wins it is good for PC's RPI, don't you know?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I would love to see the look on the faces of parents, who are PC fans, when these kids come in the house wearing a Rhody knit cap.
They will simply tell their parents that it's a good thing because when URI wins it is good for PC's RPI, don't you know?
not all, just the smart ones.... ;)
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:
not all, just the smart ones.... ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote:
Rhody_JAM wrote:Tough game to watch last night, but a win is a win. It is great to see Berry continue to improve. It is almost starting to feel like his mid range shots are automatic. Based on the midrange game I am surprised he does not have a better FT% at 67% (although that's not bad for a big).

Also, thought the commentators missed a few things. I know that EC gets overhyped at times, but I was surprised there was no mention in the entire first half of why he sat for 15 minutes in the first half. Had to look at the box score to check his foul situation. Seems like sitting that long took him off his game after a solid start. Additionally, on the late rebound and foul on Matthews to basically seal it they focused on after he landed and the bump. He was actually fouled before he landed on his way down with the rebound.
It is Dan's rule that he seldom changes from. You get two fouls in the first half and then you sit.
EC got his 1st foul at 2 min 18 seconds, he got his 2nd at 4 min 57 seconds. Then sits.
I never liked this rule. Hassan Martin always came out as soon as he got his 2nd if it was in the 1st half
But the players all know it. That is the good thing. DH is almost 99.9% consistent with this rule - so should be no surprises for the players.

Agree on that rebound by EC as to when the foul occurred. The foul contributed to how and where he landed.
I understand what you're saying about it being "Dan's rule" but it's really John Chaney's rule. He was really the first coach that I know of that strictly adhered to the "2 fouls in 1st half and automatically on the bench" mantra. It didn't matter if it was Tim Perry, Howard Evans, Aaron McKie, etc. Then a bunch of other coaches decided to follow suit. Now pretty much everybody does it.

I think it's silly but I'm not the one getting paid the big bucks.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Games on the road against middle of the pack conference foes, us coming off a blow out, are trap games, in the past we find a way to lose this game instead of finding a way to win it. This win is an indicator that our players and coaches are good, very good. We are the best team in the A10 and everyone is going to give us their best effort, expect more games like this one, the fun part is expecting to win them.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Who is putting words in whose mouth?

Can I get a $7.50 beer out of it at halftime?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote:

yup...it's all about Ws this time of the season. I've said many times Ws no matter how you are playing is all that matters now. Ws and hitting your stride is more important as we approach the post season...ala URI circa 2016-2017.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

yup...it's all about Ws this time of the season. I've said many times Ws no matter how you are playing is all that matters to us as fans now. Ws and hitting your stride is more important as we approach the post season...ala URI circa 2016-2017. Like Blue Man said...I'll leave the critiques to the coaches. My guess is DH is thrilled with the W and even more thrilled that he has things to complain about to his team.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Any word from the Coach's Show about what Hurley said to Travis Ford that resulted in the technical foul?
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Based on Fords on camera reaction I don’t think Dan said anything rude or offensive towards him. I think Dan was probably telling him something along the lines of how bad the refs were (in a colorful way) and the refs overheard it or thought he was talking to them and just had enough at that point.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

eli#10 wrote:Any word from the Coach's Show about what Hurley said to Travis Ford that resulted in the technical foul?
Dan was definitely talking to Travis about the mixed officiating. We all saw that the crew in SLU wasn’t Final Four material.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Yes, and Dan usually does this. Remember the IONA game in the NIT?

https://deadspin.com/tag/dan-hurley :lol:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
eli#10 wrote:Any word from the Coach's Show about what Hurley said to Travis Ford that resulted in the technical foul?
Dan was definitely talking to Travis about the mixed officiating. We all saw that the crew in SLU wasn’t Final Four material.
No it was not discussed on the Coaches show.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It was discussed post-show off the air. :)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:It was discussed post-show off the air. :)
Ok thanks, from your earlier comments Dan was simply talking to Travis about the officiating. Did Dan indicate that he was shocked that they called the tech?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Safe to assume both coaches were surprised, as we saw on TV. I was just able to confirm who our coach was talking to at the moment he received the tech.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Safe to assume both coaches were surprised, as we saw on TV. I was just able to confirm who our coach was talking to at the moment he received the tech.
thanks
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Those refs were brutal both ways. Hope this can somehow improve????
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

:o Uh oh!!!!
0 x