1/6 | George Washington Colonials | 4PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Re: 1/6 | George Washington Colonials | 4PM

Unread post by Vinstu »

I believe tonight showed how much better we look playing two forwards on the floor most of the game
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was a really nice effort from our team

Nice motivation from DH with his quotes after the shaky performance v LaSalle and the team came back with a fantastic effort

That's what we need to do beat these teams bad and people will take notice

JT looked really good great to see that 3 ball go down

So I guess it's official Preston is out of the rotation looks like we won't see him unless there is some foul trouble with the bigs
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Vinstu wrote:I believe tonight showed how much better we look playing two forwards on the floor most of the game

They aren't the strongest team inside, but I liked Berry and Cyril out there together. They owned the paint.

Wonder if Dan will consider using them more in the future.

In the this game they took up a lot of space on defense, making it harder for them to get offensive rebounds and to get good looks at the basket.

Offensively you had Berry being his smooth self. Cyril mixing it up down low with strong takes to the hoop, dunks, offensive rebounds.

Them playing well with our three guards on the perimeter is scary.

This season just gets better and better.

Hope Stan comes back soon. Want him back nice and healthy by the Bonnie's game.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Vinstu wrote:I believe tonight showed how much better we look playing two forwards on the floor most of the game
Tertsea also w the big block at the end !

Call me crazy - and I say this tongue in cheek - but I'd like to see Tertsea out there if we play a tall team to just set screens and play defense - and then foul out in 10 minutes.. LOL

dude is tall tho - I wonder of he'll be serviceable at all here ??
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Which guard(s) are you regularly taking minutes from? Cyril and Andre have different skill sets, and some match-ups are going to be difficult. There are also going to be some conference games where the overall talent difference between Rhody and their opponent is so great that it won’t really matter.

I think the coach has a pretty good take on it all:

“I think we can play it a couple of different ways — with four guards, sometimes five, or we can play it more conventionally, old school, big. We’ve got some talent and some depth on this team.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -of-boards

Also loved this quote from Dowtin:

”[Hurley] preached before the game that Stan’s made so many winning plays for us, we had to go out there and make winning plays for him.”

6 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ace wrote:Which guard(s) are you regularly taking minutes from? Cyril and Andre have different skill sets, and some match-ups are going to be difficult. There are also going to be some conference games where the overall talent difference between Rhody and their opponent is so great that it won’t really matter.

I think the coach has a pretty good take on it all:

“I think we can play it a couple of different ways — with four guards, sometimes five, or we can play it more conventionally, old school, big. We’ve got some talent and some depth on this team.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -of-boards

Also loved this quote from Dowtin:

”[Hurley] preached before the game that Stan’s made so many winning plays for us, we had to go out there and make winning plays for him.”

Agreed, the reality is though they started together they didn’t spend a ton of time on the floor together. It was generally 1 or the other for bulk of time. Tough to draw lineup conclusions when the talent gap is as large as it was between URI and GW. The reality is lineup options are good, matchups game to game dictate personnel.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Last night showed that the talent gap between us and them is the size of the Grand Canyon.
6 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

rhodysurf wrote:
Mongo wrote:
RI_Bred wrote:
Go to YouTube and search for "Step on throat".

That made me laugh, but if one of you tech smart guys can post a link, I’d appreciate.
I can upload it tomorrow... too busy tonight sorry
I’m ready..... any chance for a replay?
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Mongo wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
Mongo wrote:

That made me laugh, but if one of you tech smart guys can post a link, I’d appreciate.
Just finished processing... enjoy

3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The playing time will be a game to game thing. Berry cannot keep up with quicker bigs so his playing time will be less against those sorts of teams. GW had some size but is slow and therefore our bugs were highly effective
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

rhodysurf wrote:
Mongo wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
Just finished processing... enjoy

You rule!!!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Players seem to know what needs to be done this year and are getting it done on the court. The many seniors on the team is paying dividends. Got to go out and get another road win in St Louis.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:While acknowledging the unpredictability of conference away games, I would be disappointed if they lose either of the next two games. They have enough guys on the roster who have played in these places before and been through it.

I almost hate to mention this because, in the words of the great Michael Scott, “I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.” But, wins in DC and Saint Louis gets them home to play Bona where a win would give Dan his 100th at Rhode Island (not that he’s thinking of that or even aware of it).
Well, we got the Road Wins at George Washington and at Saint Louis - so now on to the 100th win on Saturday!!
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:While acknowledging the unpredictability of conference away games, I would be disappointed if they lose either of the next two games. They have enough guys on the roster who have played in these places before and been through it.

I almost hate to mention this because, in the words of the great Michael Scott, “I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.” But, wins in DC and Saint Louis gets them home to play Bona where a win would give Dan his 100th at Rhode Island (not that he’s thinking of that or even aware of it).
Perfect

4 x