URI scheduling question

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

URI scheduling Preference

Do you like the idea of West Virginia at Mohegan if that’s the best URI could do coming off one NCAA bid for a home and home with them?
98%
Or would you prefer the program potentially play less than the max amount of games or filling the last handful of slots with more of the U-Maine’s, Stony Brook’s, Bryant’s of the world?
2%

Total votes: 42

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: URI scheduling question

Unread post by RF1 »

I am a bit surprised by the reaction to this WVU series. Seems to be more of a problem with this than a few years ago when URI gave CAA member George Mason a two for one (even home and away and one away buy game at GMU).

I like this WVU series a lot more than that GMU series.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:Why is everyone argueing with the one or two fans that think this game is a bad idea? As the poll proves above, over 97% of the fans think this game is a solid agreement. Let the couple of unrealistic fans banter by themselves.
CT Rhody,
I don't think that poll proves much and the conclusions you are drawing conclusions may be reaching......

On Option 1, you say "if that’s the best URI could do coming off one NCAA bid". That's a pretty big if, isn't it?

I think what RR2 and others are saying is that maybe URI could have or should have gone after a deal whereby we would have had a Home and Home without having to go to the Mohegan Sun. URI got a Home-Home with Alabama, a Top 25 Team from the P5 SEC. This was arranged BEFORE URI had the A10 Championship and NCAA Tournament Success. Fellow A10 member Dayton has Home-Home in place with Auburn and Mississippi State

So would it be such a reach to expect a team even better than Alabama to opt for a Home-Home with URI? Especially after the A10 and NCAA Success? Would it be that much of a reach to expect West Virginia to do the traditional Home-Home with URI?

I trust Dan Hurley to schedule what is best for URI. He knows gazillions more than I do about this. I think this is a good discussion to have with Dan at some point to understand how a deal like this is orchestrated. This is the kind of subject I would like to see a Bill Koch or Kevin McNamara or Will Geoghegan discuss with Dan. Or Steve and Don from the broadcast crew could ask. Or URI Fans at the Dan Hurley events at the Mews, etc could ask.

What we do not know are the financial aspects of the deal. How much money does URI net from holding this game at the Mohegan Sun? More or less than if held in the Ryan Center? When is the game? Is the game during Thanksgiving Break when students are gone from Campus? Does it help attendance to hold the game at the Mohegan during the Thanksgiving week? People can get hotels, gamble a little, eat at the restaurants? Not much to do in Kingston as we know. So does Mohegan give a bit of a vacation or festive atmosphere?
Does the Mohegan give URI a nice chunk of money for bringing their game with West Virginia to the arena? I would certainly think so - but how much?

I personally like the idea of the game at Mohegan. But I also do not know if it is part of a double header or not, another unknown.

Giving the only other option in the poll to be playing:
- Bryant - RPI 332, record (1-12)
- Maine - RPI 339, record (1-11)
- Stony Brook - RPI 168, record (4-8)
is odd to say the least. URI is not scheduling teams like these now, so why in the world would you give this as the only other option to playing Top 10 - P5 Program West Virginia?

Since the announcement has not been formally announced yet we do not know the details of the arrangement, and may never know all. I agree with RR2 about West Virginia but also have to hold back my opinion until all info about the games surfaces.

Probably should have more options than just the two you provided. A better question would be would you prefer West Virginia at West Virginia with the return game being at Mohegan Sun OR a team like Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Clemson, etc that are below West Virginia - to do a traditional Home and Home?

My own opinion is to do both. Go with the West Virginia game and go with a lesser program but a solid RPI 40 to 60 program.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Why is everyone argueing with the one or two fans that think this game is a bad idea? As the poll proves above, over 97% of the fans think this game is a solid agreement. Let the couple of unrealistic fans banter by themselves.
CT Rhody,
I don't think that poll proves much and the conclusions you are drawing conclusions may be reaching......

On Option 1, you say "if that’s the best URI could do coming off one NCAA bid". That's a pretty big if, isn't it?

I think what RR2 and others are saying is that maybe URI could have or should have gone after a deal whereby we would have had a Home and Home without having to go to the Mohegan Sun. URI got a Home-Home with Alabama, a Top 25 Team from the P5 SEC. This was arranged BEFORE URI had the A10 Championship and NCAA Tournament Success. Fellow A10 member Dayton has Home-Home in place with Auburn and Mississippi State

So would it be such a reach to expect a team even better than Alabama to opt for a Home-Home with URI? Especially after the A10 and NCAA Success? Would it be that much of a reach to expect West Virginia to do the traditional Home-Home with URI?

I trust Dan Hurley to schedule what is best for URI. He knows gazillions more than I do about this. I think this is a good discussion to have with Dan at some point to understand how a deal like this is orchestrated. This is the kind of subject I would like to see a Bill Koch or Kevin McNamara or Will Geoghegan discuss with Dan. Or Steve and Don from the broadcast crew could ask. Or URI Fans at the Dan Hurley events at the Mews, etc could ask.

What we do not know are the financial aspects of the deal. How much money does URI net from holding this game at the Mohegan Sun? More or less than if held in the Ryan Center? When is the game? Is the game during Thanksgiving Break when students are gone from Campus? Does it help attendance to hold the game at the Mohegan during the Thanksgiving week? People can get hotels, gamble a little, eat at the restaurants? Not much to do in Kingston as we know. So does Mohegan give a bit of a vacation or festive atmosphere?
Does the Mohegan give URI a nice chunk of money for bringing their game with West Virginia to the arena? I would certainly think so - but how much?

I personally like the idea of the game at Mohegan. But I also do not know if it is part of a double header or not, another unknown.

is odd to say the least. URI is not scheduling teams like these now, so why in the world would you give this as the only other option to playing Top 10 - P5 Program West Virginia?

Since the announcement has not been formally announced yet we do not know the details of the arrangement, and may never know all. I agree with RR2 about West Virginia but also have to hold back my opinion until all info about the games surfaces.

Probably should have more options than just the two you provided. A better question would be would you prefer West Virginia at West Virginia with the return game being at Mohegan Sun OR a team like Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Clemson, etc that are below West Virginia - to do a traditional Home and Home?

My own opinion is to do both. Go with the West Virginia game and go with a lesser program but a solid RPI 40 to 60 program.
As Mike Laprey was on here and told us all. They reached out to every BCS and RPI top 100-150 program. And still ended up a game short this year since nobody else wanted to do a home and home outside of RPI dreads. Some people need to stop overthinking this. We you can’t even fill out a schedule, this arrangement is a no-brainer.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
CT Rhody,

As Mike Laprey was on here and told us all. They reached out to every BCS and RPI top 100-150 program. And still ended up a game short this year since nobody else wanted to do a home and home outside of RPI dreads. Some people need to stop overthinking this. We you can’t even fill out a schedule, this arrangement is a no-brainer.
Do you remember Mike also saying that URI turned down a game in the NIT Preseason Tournament because it did not fit with the dates?

I think you are going off on people here when they are really only questioning the Mohegan Sun versus the Ryan Center for the West Virginia Home Game - once all the facts are out then the discussion can be more logical and less emotional.

I don't think the URI Coaching Staff was as concerned about filling out the max number of games as you and some others here seem to be.

NCAA Tournament will be more about RPI and our performance in the A10 Conference and A10 Post Season Tournament. Filling out 2 more games to hit 31 might have been an issue with RPI's and also with the timing between games, especially with the injuries that we experienced.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So, I've been out of touch for a few days...do we officially have a deal with WVU? I haven't seen it anywhere other than this board. While I would ideally rather have that game at the Ryan Center, I'd rather play them at Mohegan than not at all.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

They declined to play a non D1 game as a Home game in The preseason NIT.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
CT Rhody,

Do you remember Mike also saying that URI turned down a game in the NIT Preseason Tournament because it did not fit with the dates?

I think you are going off on people here when they are really only questioning the Mohegan Sun versus the Ryan Center for the West Virginia Home Game - once all the facts are out then the discussion can be more logical and less emotional.

I don't think the URI Coaching Staff was as concerned about filling out the max number of games as you and some others here seem to be.

NCAA Tournament will be more about RPI and our performance in the A10 Conference and A10 Post Season Tournament. Filling out 2 more games to hit 31 might have been an issue with RPI's and also with the timing between games, especially with the injuries that we experienced.
I’m not going off on anyone here, we need more fans with all different perspectives, I can appreciate that. I’m just making the point that the majority of the fans like the arrangement, obviously we would like the game at the Ryan as would Dan but this was the best they could do so they took it. Good agreement for where we currently stand with the college basketball landscape.

Dan has stated multiple times that he would like to fill out the schedule but he would do it at the peril of the teams RPI numbers. Teams like Mississippi State, Wake Forest, etc arent banging down our doors and they aren’t half the program WV is currently. I’m just saying let’s ensure the perception is that the fans can appreciate this series and while some have other perspectives on the matter, they are in the minority.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:

I’m not going off on anyone here, we need more fans with all different perspectives, I can appreciate that. I’m just making the point that the obviously we would like the game at the Ryan as would Dan but this was the best they could do so they took it. Good agreement for where we currently stand with the college basketball landscape.

Dan has stated multiple times that he would like to fill out the schedule but he would do it at the peril of the teams RPI numbers. Teams like Mississippi State, Wake Forest, etc arent banging down our doors and they aren’t half the program WV is currently. I’m just saying let’s ensure the perception is that the fans can appreciate this series and while some have other perspectives on the matter, they are in the minority.
You say that "this was the best they could do so they took it". Is that true? How do you know the Mohegan Sun did not give URI a great deal to have the game there? How do you know DH didn't want the game there? and he is planning for other games of against solid RPI opponents at the Ryan Center?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:

I’m not going off on anyone here, we need more fans with all different perspectives, I can appreciate that. I’m just making the point that the obviously we would like the game at the Ryan as would Dan but this was the best they could do so they took it. Good agreement for where we currently stand with the college basketball landscape.

You say that "this was the best they could do so they took it". Is that true? How do you know the Mohegan Sun did not give URI a great deal to have the game there? How do you know DH didn't want the game there? and he is planning for other games of against solid RPI opponents at the Ryan Center?
Fair question Ramster, this is how I would respond to your question.

1) My source indicated WV wanted it at Mohegan since a home and home would benefit URI more than WV. However during he discussions, it was brought up on the WV side that if URI can sustain this level of success, after this two year agreement, a true home and home will be looked at since our name brand will be increased and therotically we would provide a solid RPI game for them.

2) As individuals on this board who were in the room and have reported. Tom Moore told the alumni lounge that the game is at mohegan and not the Ryan center because of WV’s program prestige so they had the leverage within the agreement.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Maybe WV was afraid. Imagine the PC game type atmosphere at the Ryan?
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well I don't think WVU has to worry about is maintaining our current level of success so looks like we may get our true home v home in a few years then
0 x