12/30 | George Mason Patriots | 4PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 12/30 | George Mason Patriots | 4PM

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That looked like a ranked team out there tonight. Two alley oops?! I haven’t seen that in maybe 5-6 years. Loved the crowd too. Also big point to make, EC and JT are a real tandem now. Huge for this team.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

EGram wrote:Am apple watch giveaway is nice I guess, but I would prefer an offer along the lines of something like an upgrade to the computer/electronic of your choice or new cellphone under $300-400. Hell, just offer a bestbuy gift certificate! I'd even offer to install it for free if no students are willing.

I imagine many of the nerdy/gamer types types would be far more interested in possible winning a new $300 GPU/4k TV/Console. Or nice phone for the non-gamers instead of a fancy watch.
Some people find reasons to complain if they were to give out gold brinks
6 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

On two separate occasions tonight, I was convinced Ulmer was suited up!
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

josephski wrote:
Obadiah wrote:What's up with Fatts Russell and his three point shooting in the last four games. I just replayed the Charleston and FGCU games. Sometimes he takes an ill advised shot with a opponent in his face, another time he doesn't take the time to set his feet correctly, some shots don't even come close to the rim and all I know is that 2-13 is pretty bad. We need him back to PC game performance.
He's a freshman and is going to be inconsistent. Not sure there's much else to it.

Hurley's biggest weakness as a coach is his inability to teach consistent shooting mechanics. It's almost rare I don't watch a game where one player's release, stance, body mechanics, ect.. are not changed and consistency is rare.

In terms of Fatts, His release point was noticeably lower compared to a few weeks ago, His shoot stance is also different as he often uses his left footwork and has a very wide stance, especially on FT's. The Wide stance can work if your tall and have an excellent Knee bend like Al Horford. However when fats does it winds up as a very awkward "push" linedriivey shot with little arch as the release point is so low. I assume the idea is for him yo get his release off faster but it's an awful compromise imo. Hurley needs to hire a shooting guru to work with players imo.

OTOH Dowtin's shot looked way better, it seems he found a happy medium of a fairly higher and quickish release that gives me a good amount of accuracy and arch. I'll be very interested to see if he sticks with it, or reverts back to his high release line drive shot. I recall one or contested fadeaways he swished thanks to the new shot and release.

Lastly Terrell's shot looks to have improved also, gonna wait a few more games before giving a verdict but recent results are encouraging,

Very Encouraging game, Berry showed his offensive chops in the middle, although I still worry about his D, Langevine was huge, making some nice shots near the basket and more importantly giving us a legit rebounder.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Regarding attendance. I think we see a bigger crowd on Wednesday.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tough, long drive home from the game
- I was amazed at the attendance. With 20 minutes until Tip Off I would have bet we would not hit 5000, never mind 6300. Amazing how many people filled seats from 3:40pm to 4:00pm
- Lot's of families and children at the game. I think the 4pm time is much better for families than a 7:00pm start
- 6300 with snow and an opponent we were favored to beat by 17 - tremendous showing
- The crowd begets the crowd I think. The more people there see more and more people there it just catches on. People having a good time
- Did anyone see the small boy (maybe 3-4 years old) find his way out to mid court WHILE THE GAME WAS BEING PLAYED!! He just wandered out there slowly walking. A guy from the sidelines went out to midcourt to get him and carried him off the court - and the game kept being played :lol:
- EC looked very good for the second game in a row. His shooting touch was smooth and accurate
- Team is playing very unselfishly. Once in first half ball got to Dowtin in the corner who was open for a 3 pointer but he made yet another pass to Terrell who was even more open and Terrell hit the 3
- Lot's of passing, sometimes even close to over-passing. Much different from the Alabama game
- Terrell with a solid, all around game with 8 rebounds
- Dowtin played the most minutes, he really has Dan's confidence
- Berry was solid. The guys look for him. He shoots quite well with either hand
- Langevine had a strong rebounding game
- Akele with 4 fouls in 5 minutes
- Robinson, Mathews and Terrell are all playing very well, all Seniors - they are all potential 1st team A10 Players - very talented guys
- Mike Layssard hit a nice 18 foot jumper
- This is a very good team when they play unselfishly
4 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

theblueram wrote:Regarding attendance. I think we see a bigger crowd on Wednesday.
I highly doubt we see a bigger crowd Wednesday. It's mid week, still no students, and we have to compete with Cavs v Celtics and PC hosting Marquette to a lesser extent. I do think we will see around 7k the rest of the way though.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Another solid game tonight- really fun team to watch, very unselfish and we’ll coached. Had to hold my breath at least twice when it looked like EC took some hard fouls. Not sure what happened but in the 1st couple minutes of the game it looked like he took himself out. He got fouled and before going to the line, went to the bench. After making the second he was subbed out. Anything mentioned on the broadcast??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote:
bigappleram wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Not a lot of seats left. 300 level corners and endzones. I'm guessing about 800 left, not counting the student sections. If the student section seats sell pretty well, we could have over 6000 today. If they sell really well, maybe 6500+.
From your mouth to god's ears, that would be a helluva crowd for a low grade opponent the day before NYE. Let's hope ticket buyers show up and don't let the snow keep them away.
bigappleram wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Not a lot of seats left. 300 level corners and endzones. I'm guessing about 800 left, not counting the student sections. If the student section seats sell pretty well, we could have over 6000 today. If they sell really well, maybe 6500+.
From your mouth to god's ears, that would be a helluva crowd for a low grade opponent the day before NYE. Let's hope ticket buyers show up and don't let the snow keep them away.
If so they better hurry up. Does not look like it now
What did they say, 6300+. If so, that's awesome. Like I said, once the students are back, near sellouts every game.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Game Replay

4 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This game was part of the mini plan which included the providencefriars game.....I believe the people who bought the plans but did not come to the game today were included in the total attendance....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....EGram.....aka the Shot Dr was in the House.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to put a beat down on a bad GMU team.

So I am guessing Preston is out of the rotation all together. I would rather see him get Akeles minutes but I guess DH sees otherwise

That was my friend from college who won the 50-50 raffle whatever that is paid over 1k !!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

On Preston, I'm not sure what it is but he definitely didn't seem like there was ever any chance of him playing. On the bench the whole game with his warm up pants and shirt on with the hood on his head. Certainly didn't look like a guy who was ready if his number was called. So whatever the reason is, I feel like he knew he wasn't playing today.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea Preston over Akele , not sure why that isn’t happening more.
1 x
GO RAMS
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The 1st and 2nd bowl looked 95% from my seat at the 2nd tv timeout, with 3rd level having space but concentrated at the end zones. Game progressed exactly like it should of in the big picture sense. A good game to have free throw issues, most everything else looked good. For uri to not sweat selection Sunday we need to not lose at the Ryan center this year
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Possible Preston is still banged up from his recent injury ??
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Smokinjimit wrote:I'm not sure what Preston did but he is in the dog house. We were counting on him and he is getting zero minutes. Would love to hear the inside story on that.
He's been hurt. Didn't play two games ago and played limited minutes last game. Not sure there's much more to it than that.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Smokinjimit wrote:I'm not sure what Preston did but he is in the dog house. We were counting on him and he is getting zero minutes. Would love to hear the inside story on that.
He's been hurt. Didn't play two games ago and played limited minutes last game. Not sure there's much more to it than that.
He hasn't been hurt, he missed one game due to a minor injury. This definitely seems like the doghouse for him
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Just watching the game again (thx for whoever posted YOUTUBE link) BTW if anyone is interested in me breaking down the URI Offensive and D as I see In 5-10 min videos I might be able to do that as the next money or so is my slow season. IF I can get at least 1080p 60FPS it would make it a lot easier! I'm more a techie then a creative but it would be interesting to make video breakdowns.

One thing is noticeable already, during his first rotation Fatts may not have scored any points but he made a gorgeous pass to EC and another I think to Terrell. That converted for easy pointers downlow. Even with his shot off he still contributes. as passer when when he is not trying to play Hero Ball!! One of my fav Fatts moments was when he drove, drew 4 defenders and kicked the ball out to JT for an open 3 with 8 mins left.

1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

EGram wrote:Just watching the game again (thx for whoever posted YOUTUBE link) BTW if anyone is interested in me breaking down the URI Offensive and D as I see In 5-10 min videos I might be able to do that as the next money or so is my slow season. IF I can get at least 1080p 60FPS it would make it a lot easier! I'm more a techie then a creative but it would be interesting to make video breakdowns.
Haha I am limited to whatever the original stream was.... so for A10/yurview 720/30fps is the best you are going to get. CBS has 60fps but their web stream is limited to 720/30 which is what I rip. And NBC usually 720/30. ESPN does 720/60fps luckily though.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Do have to say that the Mason uniforms looked pretty sharp...and, kinda cool to hear Dan letting everyone know they needed to keep it short...gotta get home for a game...
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm not sure how much time is put into shot mechanics at the D1 level...for lots of reasons. Steve Alford had one of the purest strokes in the game, and Lonzo Ball left UCLA with the same ugly shot he got there with.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Dominating performance from beginning to end.. Great sharing of the ball. Hope that continues.. Loved Jarvis taking a few shots. He may be our best outside shooter. # 6 in conference in 3 pt %.. He will be key when opponents go zone... E C looked as athletic as ever.. Good D, rebounds and efficient offense. Stay healthy guys!!! Enjoying the ride.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Do have to say that the Mason uniforms looked pretty sharp...and, kinda cool to hear Dan letting everyone know they needed to keep it short...gotta get home for a game...
Why does a team whose nickname is Patriots have green and yellow as team colors, unless they're in Portugal.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Game was never in question right from the tip. Hurley never broke a sweat and didn't even get a warning or T. Very unselfish play. Even got the bench in late. Good to see EC get up that high on his jam.

Bigger crowd than expected for the 2nd straight game. From the looks of it, I think with school out this week and outside activities options limited due to the cold, many young families chose to attend. I also think the GMU game was a mini pack game so that likely helped as well. Weekend games always draw better as well.

As for the little kid running out as Rhody just made a three point basket, I was worried the points might be taken off the board. This same kid had already got out onto the court during the halftime exhibition game with the NK boys. It appeared he may have been part of the GMU fan contingent as he came out from by their bench. I can excuse a small child running out once. His parent however should have then been very vigilant in keeping an eye on him. I would have had no issue with the Keaney staff asking them to leave after the 2nd incident.

2nd straight game with no band. In the past they have used local high school bands to fill in during semester break. Don't know why that is not being done this year.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: As for the little kid running out as Rhody just made a three point basket, I was worried the points might be taken off the board. This same kid had already got out onto the court during the halftime exhibition game with the NK boys. It appeared he may have been part of the GMU fan contingent as he came out from by their bench. I can excuse a small child running out once. His parent however should have then been very vigilant in keeping an eye on him. I would have had no issue with the Keaney staff asking them to leave after the 2nd incident.
Gee, I did not know he had already gone out onto the court. This kid could have been hurt very badly. I can't imagine a kid that small would not be in his seat during the game and his parent(s) watching him. Also surprised the Ref's did not stop the game. Was it someone from the GMU Bench that went out to mid court and got him or was that a URI representative? I seem to remember he had a suit on but it all happened so fast.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....the West Warwick HS filled in a few games ago, I think a marketing opportunity is being missed like promote Narragansett Nite, band etc special ticket promos for Narragansett residents, maybe the schools are already booked.....I do miss the pieces of that Ram Band usually at games.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It was one of the George Mason coaches that got him. Glad he wasn't hurt and it seemed like Dan and Paulson were able to have a laugh about it.

In regards to the band issue, where they've already had a local band fill in once my guess isn't that they stopped doing it, it's that bands weren't available with it being school vacation week
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote:
RF1 wrote: As for the little kid running out as Rhody just made a three point basket, I was worried the points might be taken off the board. This same kid had already got out onto the court during the halftime exhibition game with the NK boys. It appeared he may have been part of the GMU fan contingent as he came out from by their bench. I can excuse a small child running out once. His parent however should have then been very vigilant in keeping an eye on him. I would have had no issue with the Keaney staff asking them to leave after the 2nd incident.
Gee, I did not know he had already gone out onto the court. This kid could have been hurt very badly. I can't imagine a kid that small would not be in his seat during the game and his parent(s) watching him. Also surprised the Ref's did not stop the game. Was it someone from the GMU Bench that went out to mid court and got him or was that a URI representative? I seem to remember he had a suit on but it all happened so fast.
The refs had their backs to where the kid came on the court. Stan was hitting a 3 exactly when the kid ran on. As everyone turned upcourt to head in that direction, that's when everyone (the refs and players) saw him.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

My brother had the Rams at minus 17.5... For a moment late in the game he acted like most of us might in a close contest with an NCAA berth at stake. :P
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Loved DH quote about racing home to catch the Zona vs ASU game good stuff

Also great how good we are in turnovers margin that's the sign of a very well coached DH team
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

On both highlight reel dunks EC Mathews was involved, once on the assist and once on the dunk itself. Welcome back EC!!!

1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ramster wrote:On both highlight reel dunks EC Mathews was involved, once on the assist and once on the dunk itself. Welcome back EC!!!

I’d love to see those plays - anyone know approximately when they occurred in the game so I can find them on the full-game replay?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

check the rhodymbb twitter account

Terrell Dunk

The EC Dunk
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Such a shame these two can’t play well together...
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Anyone have any info on how the flash sale for the LaSalle game is going? Hoping many who saw the game saturday buy this sale.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Loved this play right when it happened that put the Rams up 8-0

All the way from EC making the quick, smooth left-handed pass to Robinson, then Robinson penetrating the lane on a couple dribbles, softly dishing out to Dowtin for an open 3, and then Dowtin with the quick, smooth lateral pass to an even more open Terrell.

Says a lot about this team.

and what I love is the relative absence of dribbling

and Dowtin, with 8 assists and only 1 turnover, takes an obvious joy in getting the ball to Terrell for the open 3 pointer

Dowtin could easily have taken his shot, Robinson could have easily taken his shot but they both looked to get an even better shot for their team

Dowtin also knows Terrell is having his best shooting year in his 4 years on the team and knows he is a Senior. Just love the unselfishness of Dowtin.

2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I’m still buzzing off of this game. very impressive.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Whatever happened to the Rhode Works segments they produced a couple years ago? Those were great. Would love to see some of those this year.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah those were awesome
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

a Few weeks ago we talked about the lack of alley oops under Hurley and bs GM we get two beauties, let’s continue the trend.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dowtin is such a fun player to watch I really like his game
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote:Dowtin is such a fun player to watch I really like his game
Agreed. He doesn't force his own offense, but when nothing else is working he's perfectly capable of going off for 15 or more, as we saw last season.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.