12/27 | Florida Gulf Coast Eagles | 7PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

12/27 | Florida Gulf Coast Eagles | 7PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Florida Gulf Coast University at University of Rhode Island
Thomas M. Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, December 27, 2017
7:00PM

Media

TV: ESPNU

Radio: 101.5 FM (B101)

Previews:

Vegas: URI -10

Opponent

Record:
7-7, 0-0 in the Atlantic Sun
Road:2-4
Last season: 26-8, 12-2 in Atlantic Sun (lost to Florida State in NCAA Tournament first round)

Rankings:
RPI: 207 (167.3 expected)
BPI: 107
KenPom: 145

Leaders (after the first 7 Div I games of 2017-18):
Points - Brandon Goodwin, 18.9
Rebounds - Christian Terrell, 5.7
Assists - Brandon Goodwin, 4.8

Last Five (5-0)
12/22/17  @WICH   L  75-65
12/19/17  @FIU    L  91-88
12/16/17  ORU     L  83-64
12/09/17  @UTA    W  85-78
12/05/17  FAU     L  92-88

Preview

The program formerly known as "Dunk City" visits the Ryan Center for URI's final OOC game of the season on Wednesday. Not a ton of interesting Nuggets about Chris Sale's alma mater, so here are some keys to the game, as I see it:

Momentum: URI comes in having won four of five, with the one loss coming on the road to a talented Alabama team by four points. In that span, they've beaten three potential tournament teams and blown out cross-state Brown. FGCU comes in having lost four of five, the one win coming on the road against a pretty good UT-Arlington team. In that span, they gave up 92 points at home in a losing effort against Florida Atlantic (kenpom 257), they were blown out at home by religious fanatics Oral Roberts (kenpom #218), and gave up 91 points on the road in a losing effort against Florida International (kenpom 300). Most recently, they suffered a double digit setback against a very good Wichita State team.

All of that would probably lead you to believe that Rhody Nation would be feeling good about the post-Christmas matchup with the Eagles. But, have you not met my friends at keaney blue dot com? "FGCU is going to clean our clocks!" they say. ""FGCU is no joke, we better bring our A game!" they say. "This team can ball!" "...not to be taken lightly."

We will see. Most of this is based on URI's recent shooting slump and aesthetically unpleasing approach in their last handful of wins, combined with a 20 minute stretch in which FGCU was somewhat competitive with Wichita State in a game that happened to have been broadcast in Rhode Island. Perhaps if we had tuned into either of their two preceding games we would have a different opinion.

Battle Readiness: As mentioned above, FGCU comes in fresh off another road test with one of the very few non-P5 programs who may be better than URI this year, and they played surprisingly well in that game. If we zoom out a little bit, though, FGCU has played the 210th hardest schedule in the country compared to Rhody's 8th hardest schedule, per live-rpi.com. According to kenpom, FGCU has played the 236th hardest schedule compared to Rhody's 30th hardest.

This helps put some of the team statistics in context. Gulf Coast is scoring 81.5 points per game compared to URI's 75.6, but FGCU's output has come against a schedule with an average defense of 215th per kenpom, where URI's has come against a schedule with an average defense of 26th. Similarly, the 74.6 per game that the Eagles give up have come against an average offense of 257th; URI's 69.2 has come against offenses with an average of 51st.

Pace/Tempo: The above stat might lead you to believe that there are differences in pace/tempo between the teams. And you'd be right about that - URI averages about 71 possessions per 40 minutes; FGCU averages about 73 possessions per 40 minutes. That might not seem like much, but URI's adjusted tempo ranks 122nd compared to FGCU's 55th.

FGCU will try to speed the game up a bit, and honestly as a URI fan I'd be OK with it if they succeed. I think URI could play at a faster pace with their deep stable of guards who can handle the ball, and getting in transition could lead to some better scoring opportunities which would presumably help alleviate the recent shooting percentage struggles.

Turnovers and Rebounds: Florida Gulf Coast turns the ball over fairly frequently, averaging 14.6 TOs per game (247th best - meaning 246 teams turn it over less frequently), and URI is 22nd in the country forcing 17.3 TOs per contest. Put another way, URI turns its opponents over on 21.6% of its defensive possessions, and FGCU turns it over on 17.6% of their offensive possessions. By comparison, FGCU forces a turnover on 16.2% of its defensive possessions, and URI turns it over on 14.1% of the time when it is on offense. This bodes well for URI.

On the other hand, rebounding will be a concern for URI. As we all know, total rebounds don't tell you that much because that number is influenced heavily by the number and quality of shots each team takes, so FGCU's 38-33 average total rebounds advantage doesn't concern me a great deal. However, this team averages 12.1 offensive rebounds per game compared to URI's 10.8. That number matters, because it represents extra possessions and extra chances to score. Looking at the Eagles' roster, they do have some tall guys, but their leading rebounders are guards Goodwin and Terrell (though this may be a result of how much they are on the floor compared to the interior players). Again, I would consider the respective competition levels of the two teams in accumulating these statistics, but this is at least something to keep an eye on. If Rhody wins on the glass or even fights them close to even, it should bode very well for winning the game.

Shooting: As was mentioned above, and as everyone following this team knows, URI has been in a bit of a slump from the field. Here are URI's FG and 3P FG percentages over their last four games: 42.4/26.3 (W), 35.2/30.4 (L), 41.5/26.7 (W), and 42.4/23.5 (W). Taken together, this is 40% from the field and 27% from three over the four game stretch. This is significantly worse than the 46%/36% we are shooting for the year, which does include the bad four game stretch as 40% of the sample. Prior to the last four games, the Rams were shooting 50%/43%. Last year, the Rams shot 45%/33% in what most here would consider a good year. I think you can assume that we are probably not the 50%/43% team we started the year as, and we probably are not the 40%/27% team we've been over the last few weeks. Reality is that we are probably in the 45%/35% range we have been in over the last 45 games or so, and that should be good enough to win most games with the way this team defends and turns the opponent over. Hopefully we start trending back in the right direction on Wednesday, and if we do we will be in good shape.

As for the opponent, FGCU shoots it at 48%/37%. Keep in mind again that they have not played particularly strong opponents, so URI hopefully be able to hold them under their averages. Turning them over should help make up a small shooting advantage in favor of the Eagles, too. They did not shoot it particularly well against Wichita (37%/41%) and still hung around, in large part because Wichita didn't shoot it well either. In light of the season-long numbers, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Wichita is more to blame for their poor shooting than FGCU, but it is something to keep in mind.

In terms of individual players, their best long range shooter is Terrell at 54% on 57 attempts, although Goodwin takes the most (70 attempts) despite only hitting 25.7%. I would almost consider abandoning our usual approach of running the opponent off the three point line when it comes to Goodwin. I'll take may chances giving a 25% shooter that loves to jack them up enough space to do so and let them try to beat us that way.

Free throw battle: Wichita won the game at the free throw line, going 22-26 to FGCU's 6-10. That more than made up the final margin. For the season, FGCU is better at getting to the line and sends its opponents to the line less than URI, so it will be interesting to see whether the margin in the WSU game was due to them being overmatched compared to their previous games or if it was just a fluke.

Once at the line, FGCU shoots it at 72.5% compared to URI's 70.4%, a slight advantage to FGCU but not enough of a difference to matter more than who gets to the line more often.

Bottom Line: No line yet, but rpiforecast likes URI by 12.5. If URI breaks out of its shooting slump, I can see them easily covering that. If not, we could get another Charleston/Iona type scare. I still like URI even without a great shooting night, but certainly FGCU could get us if they play well and we do not.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Re: 12/27 | Florida Gulf Coast Eagles | 7PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I’ll be down there nice and early for this one. Off all week from work so heading down early to maybe hit up the mews. Pumped, first game this season for me, let’s go Rhody!!!
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

FGCU is ranked 208 in today's NCAA RPI. Based on what I saw when they just played Wichita State I am surprised their rank is so low. I still say we are going to have our hands full in this game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:FGCU is ranked 208 in today's NCAA RPI. Based on what I saw when they just played Wichita State I am surprised their rank is so low. I still say we are going to have our hands full in this game.
I agree with you Eli. This will be a tough game, I’ll be happy to get the win.
Brandon Goodwin 6’2” is a very good player. 19 ppg, 5.4 rebounds per game, 4.8 assists per game. It will be interesting to see how DH guards Goodwin. My guess is he goes with Jeff Dowtin on Goodwin, possibly switching off with Terrell based on how things go. Maybe Robinson takes a turn as well. We cannot let Goodwin go off and have a career game against us.
Godwin played 2 years for Central Florida before transferring to FGSU.

7 losses and 7 wins as FGCU has already played 14 games to our 10. FGSU has lost 5 of their last 6. Hope they don’t break out against us.

Losses have been to:
Bowling Green by 3
Middle Tennessee by 13
Middle Tennessee by 5
FAU by 4
Oral Roberts by 19
FIU by 3
Wichita State by 10

Interesting to watch freshman guard Darnell Rogers who is from Maryland and several of our players and coaches for URI will know him. Rogers played AAU ball with Harry Giles who committed to Duke.
Rogers is only 5’3” and that may be generous. Amazing to see Giles and Rogers stand by one another in AAU games.
Rogers originally committed to GW but changed when Lonergan was released as HC
His father was the great Shawnta Rogers who is in the GW Hall of Fame.

I’d expect a close game. Odds of a comfortable URI win seem very low imho.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

They have some tough losses and then they have Oral Roberts, which is a horrible loss. They seem streaky, but ESPN has URI's chances of winning over 82%.
0 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You cannot focus on specific RPI data or comparative scores alone since every game presents different match-up potentials and problems. For example, the Oral Roberts loss at home for FGCU was a bad one, but you have to factor in that the Summit League has a much higher RPI rating than the Atlantic Sun, #12 versus #24 and more importantly, while FGCU is a big team, so is ORU. In fact,in their game ORU out rebounded FGCU, 40-20, and killed them in the paint and on second chance points. Also ORU's shooting percentage for the game was well above their season's average. Put this all together and the ORU win becomes understandable.

As for our game with FGCU, URI must shoot the ball better, especially jumpers. We are not going to out rebound FGCU like Oral Robe did, so we have to depend on a strong defense to disrupt FGCU and get them to turnover the ball in addition to getting better shooting.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t understand how conference RPI has anything to do with anything when evaluating two teams against each other who have not played a single conference game between them. Oral Roberts is terrible, and FGCU is only slightly better.

I get that everyone is very impressed that they didn’t get blown out by Wichita State in a game in which Wichita State was unimpressive, but beyond that I’m not sure how we all came to the conclusion that this particular game is the one we should all be very very worried about. What has FGCU done to warrant all the respect given it here? They are not as good as Iona, Charleston or UNC-Asheville, and I don’t remember all of the hand wringing prior to those games.

FGCU is good enough to beat us if we play terribly, which is to say that they have a pulse. Beyond that I really don’t see what everyone is so worked up about.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

My eye test doesn’t lie. The kid Goodwin is very good and they have good size in the post. I think we win of course but we will have to play a good game to do so. Just my opinion,.., GoRhody!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting preseason prediction summary of Conference Champions.
UNC Asheville
Nevada
Iona
College of Charleston
Florida Gulf Coast

All of these URI opponents were selected to win their Leagues

http://www.bracketyard.com/2017/10/28/2 ... ictions/7/
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The interest shouldn’t be in FGCU.

It should be in uri and what they look like. In past years DH worked newcomers in and they started to turn the corner during this period.

What’s up with EC Matthews? Where is he at in his return? His minutes? Role? Impact?

Uri has also played flat in games like FGCU this year and in recent years.

What will we see? And what does I‎t signal going forward?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think this is the game that we start to see the real EC... He's had a couple games and practices to take care of the rust... We need him to be playing at 100% by conference play. I predict Rhody by 8 and two Frog sightings on the video board.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I just want to see us put together a solid offensive performance. If Oral Roberts can put up 83 on them, we should be able to put some points on the board.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We should win, but IPFW won at Indiana, Ball St won at ND, and Wofford won at UNC.

Anything can happen, just gotta take care of business.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought this would be the toughest test between Charleston and Iona now I just don't know
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The length of FGCU is what really bothers me. If they get a lot of easy baskets we will have a problem. The key is how their guards handle our pressure defense. Here's hoping we get some run outs like the PC game and turn them over at least 17 times.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:We should win, but IPFW won at Indiana, Ball St won at ND, and Wofford won at UNC.

Anything can happen, just gotta take care of business.
Absolutely. I'm definitely not making the argument that FGCU cannot beat us. I wouldn't make that argument about anybody on our schedule. Given the right circumstances, anyone could beat anyone. I just don't see what about them is extra worrisome compared to some of the teams we've already played.

If I had to guess, I think to SPG's point, it's more that people are worried about us right now because of the shooting struggles, but I do think we should keep that in perspective, too. We have beaten teams at least as good and in some cases better than FGCU during our shooting slump. That's not a fluke, it's because we do a lot of things well as a basketball team other than shoot. If we get hot from the floor, that where we take the jump to the next level and can beat teams like Seton Hall on a neutral court without two starters. If we shoot it well tonight, we will blow FGCU out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It would be nice if we can win by 20 just to get the confidence level sky high heading into a 10 play
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

when I watched FGCU vs Wichita State- it seemed to me like we will have a lot of issues w/ FGCU size... they just seemed like they had 3 legit tall guys - i havent looked up their size.. but just by watching them we might have some match-up issues

the good thing is that i am often wrong.. so hopefully i am way off base on this as well !

let's get this win.. 8-3 would be a good start as we begin conference play
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we will have a problem with their size.

Need to shoot it better from the outside......and turn them over and get some easy baskets.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I don’t understand how conference RPI has anything to do with anything when evaluating two teams against each other who have not played a single conference game between them. Oral Roberts is terrible, and FGCU is only slightly better.

I get that everyone is very impressed that they didn’t get blown out by Wichita State in a game in which Wichita State was unimpressive, but beyond that I’m not sure how we all came to the conclusion that this particular game is the one we should all be very very worried about. What has FGCU done to warrant all the respect given it here? They are not as good as Iona, Charleston or UNC-Asheville, and I don’t remember all of the hand wringing prior to those games.

FGCU is good enough to beat us if we play terribly, which is to say that they have a pulse. Beyond that I really don’t see what everyone is so worked up about.
Before the Charleston and Iona games there were a number of comments about these 3 remaining games being easy, being cupcakes, cake walks, etc. So you are right, there were very few of us considering that these 3 games could be worrisome for URI. I thought all 3 could be tough games and possible upsets. All 3 teams were picked preseason to win their Leagues.

Consider:
Charleston - URI Favored by 10.5 points. We won by 6 and trailed in the 2nd half. Great game by Langevine
Iona - URI Favored by 12 points. We won by 6 and trailed late into the 2nd half. Great 2nd half by Terrell
FGSU - URI Favored by 11.5 points. Result?

FGSU is not a good match up for us down low imho. Alabama killed us on rebounding 50-31 with Hall and Ingram grabbing 14 each. Giddens with a career high 12 points and 6 rebounds off the bench. Virginia outrebounded us 33-22 with Isaiah Wilkins having a career high 19 points and had 6 rebounds
I worry about FGSU front line of 6'10" Michael Gilmore and 6'9" Antravious Simmons versus our 6'8" Andre Berry and 6'4" Stanford Robinson. Robinson has been tremendous the last two games getting double-doubles but these two guys are tall and physical for FGSU. Gilmore just became eligible so we can't go by previous games. Gilmore was a former ESPN Top 100 who played 2 years at VCU. Simmons, a Senior, also played 1 year at VCU. He is a big guy at 250 pounds.
Brandon Goodwin is an excellent player. Scores, rebounds, passes - preseason pick for Player of the Year in the conference.
As always I hope URI wins, and wins big but I would not touch the point spread in this one.
I also don't expect a very big crowd tonight - again hope I am wrong. I am surprised at the big point spreads for all 3 of these games.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: i havent looked up their size.. but just by watching them we might have some match-up issues
I include it in the game preview in the first post of every game thread.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:Projo on tonight’s game

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... arly-going
Nice preview from Bill. Like this excerpt:

The breakthrough conference tournament title and trip back to the NCAA Tournament last season continue to pay dividends, as does URI’s culture and experience. The Rams are generally at ease with one another, doing the hard work behind the scenes required of winning programs and enjoying their time together. Garrett said it was a light mood at practice on Christmas night, with no grumbling about travel difficulties or spending less than 72 hours with family and friends.

“Everybody was laughing, just talking about their Christmas break, the two days that we had,” Garrett said. “Coming back in, it’s always fun to be together. We were ready to get back together and play basketball. Our guys, we can get through anything. Whenever it’s a game like we’ve been having lately — where we have to fight — I feel like we can fight with anybody.”
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote:Projo on tonight’s game

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... arly-going
I find it interesting that last year everyone bitched when Koch would point out in many articles that we hadn't made the tournament since 1999 and had a losing streak to PC, but those people aren't mentioning this year how in almost every article he talks about how we went to the tournament last year and keeps repeating how we beat Seton Hall and Providence this year. I'm sure that's just an oversight though.
7 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Easy answer. I don't read him anymore. I also don't comment on his articles anymore either. Although, that excerpt up there posted by ACE is nice. I agree.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

EC is currently 14th (1,557) on the all time scoring list.

With 20 points he will pass three Ram greats.

Fultz (1,566)
Garrick (1,573)
ARD (1,576)

I'd hope I'm not alone in that I'd love to see him accomplish that this game.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

FGCU put it on the line against Wichita State. I'm thinking this might be a let down game for them. That would not be a good thing for them.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to see us at full strength let's go and dominate
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster, fwiw I was one of the few arguing here that it was crazy to call charleston a cupcake. I think Charleston is better than FGCU, but I also don't think FGCU is a cupcake. I just think we are really good and shouldn't be terribly afraid of FGCU.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......tonite like to see EC take big strides and provide increased point production, whether or not he passes those on the record scoring list, but be the old EC......we are gonna need this contribution going into the A-10 sked.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

TP the general notion on the board was/is that these three opponents were not serious competition, and that we are clearly superior in every respect. I disagree and think we will have our hands full tonight. That Gilmore guy is just playing his second game. 6’10”and active by the sounds of it (KI?). We should be the last group stating how weak these mid major teams are.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Gilmore makes them a lot better. Won't be an easy one.
0 x
FroggyTheFan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by FroggyTheFan »

Anyone know where I can stream this? Out of town with no ESPNU!!!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

watchespn should have the game
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
FroggyTheFan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by FroggyTheFan »

twisted3829 wrote:watchespn should have the game

Thank you! Got it!
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

At the first media time out, Rhody leads by 2

URI 10, FGCU 8

If each team maintains its opening pace, this will be a high scoring game.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

First shot from EC hitting noting but net i think is huge, since he’s in the starting line up tonight
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

With 10:22 remaining in first half, the game is tied

URI 16, FGCU 16
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

gotta go strong to the basket, lots of floaters inside early
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

With 6:38 remaining in first half, Rhody by three

URI 25, FGCU 22

FGCU is playing like they think they can win this game, but Rhody keeps coming back to take a one-shot lead.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Andre def does, that floater he through up, should have powered his way in. Too bad Stan picked up 2, he’s having a solid game so far
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Interior defense aka size. Huge problem.
0 x
GO RAMS
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

we r getting destroyed inside
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

With 3:16 remaining in first half, FCGU, building on their height, inches in to the lead

FGCU 30, URI 28
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

As has been said. Size will neutralize us. Dowtin is hurting us with his shooting woes.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

There bigs are controlling this game for them..
I know Hurley hates it but maybe zone?
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Dowtin killing us
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

EC !!!!!!
0 x