Rod Carri has Passed Away

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Rod Carri has Passed Away

Unread post by luke »

Very very sad news. like many, I only knew him from conversations many times on Keaney Blue
which i always enjoyed. My heart felt sympathy goes out to Rod's family members and friends
whom I am sure will miss him very much. And I will miss his absence from the Keaney Blue
Message Board.
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

You are missed Rod. Every time a URI (true) forward/center scores I will think of you.
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

3 x
Slava Ukraini!
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Even as someone who never met Rod, I felt like I knew him well and this felt like a kick to the stomach yesterday.

I enjoyed his URI posts and amazing grasp of URI basketball history for the last 20 years. I'm glad I got to tell him he was a legend via private message on this board. I wish I had introduced myself when I saw him on the stairs at that game earlier this year.

RIP Rod from Cranston, you will be missed
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I remember listening to Rod calling into radio shows back in the early 90's.....while driving my routes.....he was and will always be RodfromCranston.....an icon of Rhody hoops....he was the kind of guy who, even if you never met him in person, made you feel like you were a member of his family....

This board will never be the same.....
3 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It's strange, but I'm still expecting to see a post that begins with the words "Just got back from the game"
4 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Well this just sucks. I heard the news while at the game last night. What I liked most about Rod was that he was a straight shooter. He didn’t care about what others thought of his opinion and he truly expressed what was on his mind no matter WHO it might affect.

There was also, however, mutual respect with those he disgagreed with. Everyone knew Rod as a legendary fan. He was critical of the program often because he truly did care about it. As a fan of this game and this program, I am going to miss Rodfromcranston. Rest In Peace, Rod.
2 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I am glad Rod was able to see one last run.
7 x
FennelGates
Jim Eitner

Unread post by FennelGates »

RIP Rod
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I never met the man, but I'll miss reading his posts. He was a wealth of knowledge when it came to Rhody hoops. And love or hate his opinions, he was one of the most passionate fans I've ever come in contact with. A legendary member of this board. It won't be the same without him.

RIP Rod
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Terrible news. Although we had our differences over the years Rod was a huge fan of our beloved Rams and will be missed. RIP Rod.
1 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I offer prayers for Rod from Friartown. I enjoyed reading his posts, whether I agreed with them or not.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Awful news. I always looked forward nearly daily to read what Rod thought about a game or a happening.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blue Man wrote:I’m in shock right now, but I wanted to let everyone know our friend, and lifelong Rhody Ram, Rod Carri passed away at 3pm this afternoon.

I’ll pass along more details as I know them and I’ll provide a proper post persuant to what would be worthy of him, but I wanted to let everyone know.

Rhody has a new guiding angel, and someone to win for. Rod will be missed by all of us.

EDIT, of which I hope paints a picture worthy of his impact in my life:

It's tough to put into words on an internet message board anything that would come close to the impact Rod had over various forms of media; whether it be the talk shows he frequented, his command of the twitterverse, or right here on a URI message board - his internet home away from home. Everyone knew Rodfromcranston.

As a fan, I think TP put it best: that he "was the kind of fan every program needs: loyal but not a sycophant; a carrier of the flag and a defender against external critics that wasn't afraid to hold the program to account; an unofficial program historian; at times an insider and at other times the leader of a loyal opposition.

Rod Carri was as much of a legend for a program as a fan could be, and he was a good man as far as I've ever heard. He will be sorely missed here and at the Ryan and throughout Rhody Nation."

Above his love of Reagan conservatism and Rhody basketball - Rod loved his family - his daughter and grand children, and especially his dogs. If you were fortunate enough to get to know Rod outside of the Rodfromcranston everyone read and heard online and the airwaves, he had an incredible ability to make you feel like part of the family.

As a fellow paizan and Rhody fanatic, I never felt more "at home" than the first time I met Rod at a season ticket holder event years ago. We had known each other from the Projo board days, and he had made a point to get to know me simply because I was a nut job who ran around the court with a painted face.

We became instant friends. The simple fact that we loved being Italian, loved our families, our dogs, and loved the Rams was enough to offset plenty of differing viewpoints and discord. Rod was the best kind of friend you could ask for because he would pull your card when you needed it to be pulled, and would always tell it to you straight. One of his favorite quotes was from of course, Reagan, who said "Somebody who agrees with me 80 percent of the time is a friend and ally, not a 20 percent traitor."

You could disagree with him passionately, and boy oh boy could he passionately disagree with you, but you could always count on Rod to give you a level-set on everything. He would never lie to you just to spare your feelings. He respected everyone enough to give them the truth and an unfiltered view. He treated everyone as an intellectual equal and offered up the same advice and opinions he would give to family, because as an Italian that's how he treated anyone he considered a friend.

In a world filled with fake, vapid, bullshitters - Rod was a welcome beacon of clarity. You always knew where you stood with him, and he always stood by his convictions.

For years I would always find Rod at halftime to catch up, or jump down to his seats in 207 to watch some of the game with him, Andrea and his grandkids. The amount I learned about basketball, URI basketball, and life in general through those conversations is immeasurable. If you weren't fortunate enough to share a game with Rod, I truly feel like you were robbed of one of the more valuable experiences you could ever have hoped to had at the Ryan Center.

If your only interactions with Rod were on the board, you were only able to get a fraction of what Rod's company and conversation had to offer. He was a better man than he was a poster on this board, and it was clear Rod was the backbone of this board and fanbase.

I will forever miss Rod's quick wit and direct comments. I'll miss him telling me to cut the shit, stop acting like a petulant child, or throwing an internet tantrum as much as I'll miss his genuine friendship and kindness. If you didn't get to know Rod well enough to understand those latter parts of his personality, I feel bad for you. You missed out on one of the better men I've had the privilege to call a friend.

Last year when I was in the hospital, Rod was genuinely one of the first people to reach out to my wife and myself to see if there was anything he could do to help.

For those of us who got most of our glimpse of Rod through an internet or radio window, I can't even imagine how tough Andrea, his grandkids, his dogs, and the rest of his family have it. They got the best part of Rod, not the internet poster, but the man. I don't know if there are enough prayers or words to fill that void and my heart is truly broken for them.

It's almost surreal, everyone curses the internet and sneers at relationships people have formed because of it, but here I sit writing this post with tears coming down my face after losing someone I'd consider a true friend.

As a man who loved the Rams above all else, I am so thankful he got to see one more run, one more title, and one more NCAA win. I am thankful his last games at the Ryan Center were W's, and that he got to witness that shellacking of PC in person.

I can only imagine that the first thing he did upon arrival to the pearly gates was to look up Dave Gavitt's whearabouts and have some words with him.

I hope the rest of this season plays out in a way that would cause Rod to have a giant smile on his face while he watches from the other side.

I'll forever think of Rod any time Rhody gets a win, signs a true big man, or someone tells me to cut the shit. Rest easy mi amici. Go Rhody.

Bumping my edit to the first post.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I never knew of RodfromCranston until December of 2013. The Big East was being ripped apart and there was a lot of chatter about what the fallout would look like. From the A10/BE angle, someone had directed me to check out this newer URI site, KeaneyBlue. Being the type of person I am, I jumped write into discussion, firing PC and Big East inspired takes that I'm sure were not really welcomed or appreciated. This poster, RodfromCranston, he was not afraid to swing back, I was impressed. I quickly learned what Rod stood for, and what he believed in. I also quickly learned that he was a long-time passionate supporter of URI, and had the history easily detailed to back it up. What drew me to Rod was that fact that in Rod, I saw the URI version of my grandfather, someone you felt like you could sit with for hours and hours, hearing stories of days past, with details that were never found in old transcripts or videos. Despite a rough start, I believe Rod and I grew to mutual respect each other, and although Rod and I didn't correspond a lot, especially in recent years, but we had exchanged cordial messages through private messenger on a few occasions. Whether we agreed or disagreed on the little details, we are always supportive of the big picture for our respective programs. Our last private message, we had a brief conversation on the signing of Stanford Robinson to URI. In a message board that is usually full of short and sweet responses, Rod's last message was a comprehensive reply, and it ended with "Nice hearing from you!" In a message board full of mostly anonymous posters and random opinions, Rod seemed to always be himself. He was Rod.

I never knew Rod personally, but I could always tell he was a smart and fiercely loyal person who would tell you how it was, regardless of team affiliation. He's the type of person you'd want to head into battle with. RIP Rod.
7 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Blue Man wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I’m in shock right now, but I wanted to let everyone know our friend, and lifelong Rhody Ram, Rod Carri passed away at 3pm this afternoon.

I’ll pass along more details as I know them and I’ll provide a proper post persuant to what would be worthy of him, but I wanted to let everyone know.

Rhody has a new guiding angel, and someone to win for. Rod will be missed by all of us.

It's tough to put into words on an internet message board anything that would come close to the impact Rod had over various forms of media; whether it be the talk shows he frequented, his command of the twitterverse, or right here on a URI message board - his internet home away from home. Everyone knew Rodfromcranston.

As a fan, I think TP put it best: that he "was the kind of fan every program needs: loyal but not a sycophant; a carrier of the flag and a defender against external critics that wasn't afraid to hold the program to account; an unofficial program historian; at times an insider and at other times the leader of a loyal opposition.

Rod Carri was as much of a legend for a program as a fan could be, and he was a good man as far as I've ever heard. He will be sorely missed here and at the Ryan and throughout Rhody Nation."

Above his love of Reagan conservatism and Rhody basketball - Rod loved his family - his daughter and grand children, and especially his dogs. If you were fortunate enough to get to know Rod outside of the Rodfromcranston everyone read and heard online and the airwaves, he had an incredible ability to make you feel like part of the family.

As a fellow paizan and Rhody fanatic, I never felt more "at home" than the first time I met Rod at a season ticket holder event years ago. We had known each other from the Projo board days, and he had made a point to get to know me simply because I was a nut job who ran around the court with a painted face.

We became instant friends. The simple fact that we loved being Italian, loved our families, our dogs, and loved the Rams was enough to offset plenty of differing viewpoints and discord. Rod was the best kind of friend you could ask for because he would pull your card when you needed it to be pulled, and would always tell it to you straight. One of his favorite quotes was from of course, Reagan, who said "Somebody who agrees with me 80 percent of the time is a friend and ally, not a 20 percent traitor."

You could disagree with him passionately, and boy oh boy could he passionately disagree with you, but you could always count on Rod to give you a level-set on everything. He would never lie to you just to spare your feelings. He respected everyone enough to give them the truth and an unfiltered view. He treated everyone as an intellectual equal and offered up the same advice and opinions he would give to family, because as an Italian that's how he treated anyone he considered a friend.

In a world filled with fake, vapid, bullshitters - Rod was a welcome beacon of clarity. You always knew where you stood with him, and he always stood by his convictions.

For years I would always find Rod at halftime to catch up, or jump down to his seats in 207 to watch some of the game with him, Andrea and his grandkids. The amount I learned about basketball, URI basketball, and life in general through those conversations is immeasurable. If you weren't fortunate enough to share a game with Rod, I truly feel like you were robbed of one of the more valuable experiences you could ever have hoped to had at the Ryan Center.

If your only interactions with Rod were on the board, you were only able to get a fraction of what Rod's company and conversation had to offer. He was a better man than he was a poster on this board, and it was clear Rod was the backbone of this board and fanbase.

I will forever miss Rod's quick wit and direct comments. I'll miss him telling me to cut the shit, stop acting like a petulant child, or throwing an internet tantrum as much as I'll miss his genuine friendship and kindness. If you didn't get to know Rod well enough to understand those latter parts of his personality, I feel bad for you. You missed out on one of the better men I've had the privilege to call a friend.

Last year when I was in the hospital, Rod was genuinely one of the first people to reach out to my wife and myself to see if there was anything he could do to help.

For those of us who got most of our glimpse of Rod through an internet or radio window, I can't even imagine how tough Andrea, his grandkids, his dogs, and the rest of his family have it. They got the best part of Rod, not the internet poster, but the man. I don't know if there are enough prayers or words to fill that void and my heart is truly broken for them.

It's almost surreal, everyone curses the internet and sneers at relationships people have formed because of it, but here I sit writing this post with tears coming down my face after losing someone I'd consider a true friend.

As a man who loved the Rams above all else, I am so thankful he got to see one more run, one more title, and one more NCAA win. I am thankful his last games at the Ryan Center were W's, and that he got to witness that shellacking of PC in person.

I can only imagine that the first thing he did upon arrival to the pearly gates was to look up Dave Gavitt's whearabouts and have some words with him.

I hope the rest of this season plays out in a way that would cause Rod to have a giant smile on his face while he watches from the other side.

I'll forever think of Rod any time Rhody gets a win, signs a true big man, or someone tells me to cut the shit. Rest easy mi amici. Go Rhody.

This is one of the best tributes I have ever read.
You certainly identified the best of Rod. It's hard to add to this, but, I will anyway.

For those who didn't know him well, Rod did have a stubborn streak n him. After being friends for many years, I once made the mistake of criticizing Harrick in front of him. In spite of our friendship, he didn't talking to me for two years.
However, during that time, my mother (who Rod didn't even know) passed away. Rod was one of the first people to show up at her services.
One more thing that has to be said. I know for a fact that the people Rod cared the most for were the people he would argue with the most. If he didn't care for people, he would just ignore them.
Truly, one of a kind.
4 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Projo Fairness

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I joined up on the old Projo board when Rod was taking a break from the board. My first encounter was when I made a comment about that Nevada guy that Del James dominated. Rod jumped all over me. I was thinking "Who is this guy???" But I got to understand his way of thinking which I mostly agreed with. I regret I never walked up and introduced myself. He is a legendary figure here, that's for sure.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

I never had the opportunity to meet Rod in person and, hearing everyone talk about the kind of person he was, I regret not making more of an effort to do so at the Ryan Center.

While our only interactions were on this message board, a place where people can be as anonymous as they want, Rod certainly stood out as more than an anonymous poster. Maybe it was his username, “rodfromcranston,” which certainly makes you feel like you know him better than most on the internet. At the same time, Rod had a unique way of expressing himself, and you really felt like you got to know him through the way he spoke.

I remember recently when he dropped a couple of hints regarding our potential new coaching hire (Tom Moore), telling the rest of us to PM him with a guess. I PM’d him with my guess, expecting a simple yes or no answer. Instead, Rod initiated a conversation, with a total stranger no less, about the hire and what it could mean for the future of Rhody basketball. It was a small moment, but one that I know will stay with me.

RIP Rod, you will be missed
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote:

Awesome post, Blue Man.
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I talked to Thorr, there will be a plan to honor Rod, he will let me know what game it will be so we can all be there (I'm guessing one of the next 2 games)
11 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

If I didn’t have a lot of time and could only read a few posts, I would look for Rod’s first. I am going to miss his opinions and insight.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Visiting hours will be at Woodlawn in Cranston on Tuesday from 4-7.

Obituary will be in the projo on Sunday.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I just found out this terrible news and am shocked and saddened beyond belief. Though I never met Rod personally did have some conversations with him. I had taken sick about 2 years ago, Rod about 8 months or a year later. I go back a long way to Keaney days, not as long as Rod did, but had so many of the same memories from following the program since the early 70's for me, earlier for him. I don't check the board as frequently as I once did so didn't have any recent contact. A true, true fan of the program and a very good man. As BAR says, puts things in perspective.

RIP Rod and my deepest sympathy and prayers to your family.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The Godfather aka Bob Terino has asked I express his condolences to a great Rhody fan, RodfromCranston.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

neil wrote:Very sad to hear of Rod’s passing. He and I go back for decades on this board. It seemed like if there was a topic to be discussed, everyone waited for his opinion. He was the backbone of the chat board. I thought I knew a little about ram history but I pale in comparison to Rod. He will be missed and impossible to replace. RIP
What Neil said.

After 20-plus years of discussions and arguments going back to the first iteration of the ProCoJo board in the mid-90s (which was in Pee-C colors, natch), I felt like I knew him even though I never met him in person. Nobody bled a truer shade of Keaney Blue than Rod.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I propose to Obadiah that we re-name the annual prediction contest . The RodfromCranston Prediction Championship or the Rod Carri Prediction Championship
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Well this really sucks. So sorry to hear the news. Rod is one of the main reasons I became a Keaney Blue member. It started back on the Projo board, and to this day he was still one of my favorite posters. Always loved reading his take on things, and all the history he brought to the table. Sad I never met him in person. Much love and prayers to Rod's family during this difficult time. RIP brother.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm sort of in denial here, I'm actually feeling despair. I can't get my head around the idea that Rod From Cranston won't be part of my experience anymore. God bless you my friend! you made my life better and deeply I miss you already.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obit:
http://www.woodlawnri.com/obituary/Rodn ... nd/1771122

The first time I have ever seen an obit list being a member of the Keaney Blue Forum.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bill Reynolds mentioned Rod in his "For What It's Worth' column in today's Projo.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... r-patriots
4 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Please give my condolences to the family and RIP Rod
1 x
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

Words cannot express how sad I am to learn that Rod has passed away. I enjoyed thousands of hours of conversation with him over the last couple of decades. I am sincerely shocked and deeply saddened to learn that he has left us. The URI Fan Experience will never be the same. Rest in peace, Rod.
6 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

This is very sad news. I had the fortune of working with Rod. This was during the Harrick years when the projo board was getting going. He was a great guy and a good friend. I am just very sad right now. Rest in Peace Rod from Cranston...You deserve it
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'll miss him. At least I had a chance to talk with him and see him smiling at the PC game. Great Rhody Basketball fan! He will be missed!
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Just found out about the bad news.

I only talked to Rod a couple times, once at Chelo's for a URI event, once more at the Ryan Center. However, i grew up often listening to him as he called up on sports radio then reading his pots when I found this message board about 5-6 years ago.

As a History nerd and big time sports/URI fan I always found it greatly enjoyable when he shared his thoughts. His post after the lat Providence game really stuck out to me as a recent example of a great post of hi. He will be surely be remembered as someone who knew and loved his RAMS, but was also tough and fair.

To echo what others have said, We may not have known each other much IRL but his passing greatly saddens me and many other whom may not have known him IRL. I hope his family knows how he touched the lives of many people he may not have ever met.
5 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

We've lost a loyal Ram fan. Passionate and dedicated.
.....I have met, and have had conversations with him at a number of basketball "gatherings". Always a gentleman in person.
.....I had fun with him on this forum. I am not sure what he made of me agreeing with him on most of his posts.

Condolences to his family.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rod was bigger than life to me, being that I was really just a kid when I first heard Rod From Cranston on the radio, passionate and on point! I can't say it enough, the man enriched my experience as a Rhody fan, I'll be attending services tomorrow, he earned my respect and gratitude.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RIP rodfromcranston RIP
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Just a reminder to everyone that Rod's calling hours are tonight from 4-7 with the service starting at 6:30 at Woodlawn Funeral Home in Cranston (600 Pontiac Ave)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I went tonight. Spoke with his daughter about how the board was taking it hard.

Rod had on a great suit. He always looked sharp.
3 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I also went to pay my respects......Rod did look sharp....Coach Hurley stopped by to pay his respects.....nice gesture....chatted a while with super local basketball fan David Talan who knew Rod from politics and basketball....
10 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Ramulous wrote:I also went to pay my respects......Rod did look sharp....Coach Hurley stopped by to pay his respects.....nice gesture....chatted a while with super local basketball fan David Talan who knew Rod from politics and basketball....
.......this tells me more and more about the depth of the character of the people we encounter as we all pass through and stay forever in this thing called Rhody Hoops......
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Many thanks to all who represented us!
To blueman (and to all others here...obviously all friends of Rod) my most heartfelt condolences.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rod was as usual, best dressed in the room.

I can’t think of a more fitting tribute to the man than sitting up front with Twisted and Chris DiSano talking rhody hoops so Rod could hear.

I know how much it meant to Andrea that so many from the program and the board stopped by to let them know what Rod meant to all of us.

He was one of a kind. I’ll miss him for sure.
11 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thanks to all who represented our community at Rod’s services.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Very sad news.

RIP rodfromcranston
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

According to his daughter, Rod will be honored during the George Mason game tomorrow.
7 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

twisted3829 wrote:According to his daughter, Rod will be honored during the George Mason game tomorrow.
He’ll be the season ticket holder of the game.

I have never been so proud of this athletic department and team for off court things than I have been this week.

They really do get it. Class all around.
9 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Wish I could be at the GM game. Blue, you are so right. I'm also proud and pleased that Rod has been and is being honored by the program! I went to the service at 4:00 so I didn't really see anyone from the forum, but I'm also happy to read that many showed up to pay respects to a man so deserving. Just knowing DH stopped by lifted my spirits some, if I ever get a chance to shake DH's hand again it will be to thank him for that.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rod passed away at a time when URI was the defending A-10 Champion and favorite to repeat. It was just a few months past an NCAA tournament win. As of last week Rod was the most prolific poster on the Keaney Blue forum with 13,068 posts since its formation five years ago. His last post was actually fitting as it came right after attending a home win (Charleston) in which he met up with many of his Rhody family and reminisced with a memory lane trip down URI hoops history.

Rod's Last Post
rodfromcranston wrote:Back from the game and dinner.
Tough game vesus a good Charleston team.
Langevine played . I think, his best game as a Ram.
Worked hard underneath for rebounds and scoring.
Terrell played well,a few shots going in and out, and Stan got a double-double.
Only 10 assists for the entire game.
The offense seemed stagnant at times, with
Dowtin doing way too much dribbling.
EC looked very rusty, even tossing up an air ball from 10 feet away.
Jarvis only took one shot.
Waited around after the game, which turned out to be great.
Ran into legend Milan and his nice family.
Talked at length with Chris Disano, resident basketball guru,
as well as Don Kaull and his lovely wife.
Got to really go down memory lane with my all time
favorite coach, Tom Penders.
He's still a wealth of knowledge and a great story teller.
Told me it was Al Skinner who advised him to let Silk, and company
run,run, run.
He'd gotten here October 4th and never saw anyone but Silk play, previously.
Told him he was once "public enemy number one" at URI.
Don Kaull was on the search committee, and when Penders got to meet him
for the interview, he said,"I guess there goes the job."
Luckily, he was hired.
Got to see Jared's new baby, and Jarvis's twin sons.
Cute kids.
So, I'm 2-0 at the RC this season.
Posted 12/16/17 on the Charleston Cougars game thread:
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... 81#p341881
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x