Rod Carri has Passed Away

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rod Carri has Passed Away

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m in shock right now, but I wanted to let everyone know our friend, and lifelong Rhody Ram, Rod Carri passed away at 3pm this afternoon.

I’ll pass along more details as I know them and I’ll provide a proper post persuant to what would be worthy of him, but I wanted to let everyone know.

Rhody has a new guiding angel, and someone to win for. Rod will be missed by all of us.

EDIT, of which I hope paints a picture worthy of his impact in my life:

It's tough to put into words on an internet message board anything that would come close to the impact Rod had over various forms of media; whether it be the talk shows he frequented, his command of the twitterverse, or right here on a URI message board - his internet home away from home. Everyone knew Rodfromcranston.

As a fan, I think TP put it best: that he "was the kind of fan every program needs: loyal but not a sycophant; a carrier of the flag and a defender against external critics that wasn't afraid to hold the program to account; an unofficial program historian; at times an insider and at other times the leader of a loyal opposition.

Rod Carri was as much of a legend for a program as a fan could be, and he was a good man as far as I've ever heard. He will be sorely missed here and at the Ryan and throughout Rhody Nation."

Above his love of Reagan conservatism and Rhody basketball - Rod loved his family - his daughter and grand children, and especially his dogs. If you were fortunate enough to get to know Rod outside of the Rodfromcranston everyone read and heard online and the airwaves, he had an incredible ability to make you feel like part of the family.

As a fellow paizan and Rhody fanatic, I never felt more "at home" than the first time I met Rod at a season ticket holder event years ago. We had known each other from the Projo board days, and he had made a point to get to know me simply because I was a nut job who ran around the court with a painted face.

We became instant friends. The simple fact that we loved being Italian, loved our families, our dogs, and loved the Rams was enough to offset plenty of differing viewpoints and discord. Rod was the best kind of friend you could ask for because he would pull your card when you needed it to be pulled, and would always tell it to you straight. One of his favorite quotes was from of course, Reagan, who said "Somebody who agrees with me 80 percent of the time is a friend and ally, not a 20 percent traitor."

You could disagree with him passionately, and boy oh boy could he passionately disagree with you, but you could always count on Rod to give you a level-set on everything. He would never lie to you just to spare your feelings. He respected everyone enough to give them the truth and an unfiltered view. He treated everyone as an intellectual equal and offered up the same advice and opinions he would give to family, because as an Italian that's how he treated anyone he considered a friend.

In a world filled with fake, vapid, bullshitters - Rod was a welcome beacon of clarity. You always knew where you stood with him, and he always stood by his convictions.

For years I would always find Rod at halftime to catch up, or jump down to his seats in 207 to watch some of the game with him, Andrea and his grandkids. The amount I learned about basketball, URI basketball, and life in general through those conversations is immeasurable. If you weren't fortunate enough to share a game with Rod, I truly feel like you were robbed of one of the more valuable experiences you could ever have hoped to had at the Ryan Center.

If your only interactions with Rod were on the board, you were only able to get a fraction of what Rod's company and conversation had to offer. He was a better man than he was a poster on this board, and it was clear Rod was the backbone of this board and fanbase.

I will forever miss Rod's quick wit and direct comments. I'll miss him telling me to cut the shit, stop acting like a petulant child, or throwing an internet tantrum as much as I'll miss his genuine friendship and kindness. If you didn't get to know Rod well enough to understand those latter parts of his personality, I feel bad for you. You missed out on one of the better men I've had the privilege to call a friend.

Last year when I was in the hospital, Rod was genuinely one of the first people to reach out to my wife and myself to see if there was anything he could do to help.

For those of us who got most of our glimpse of Rod through an internet or radio window, I can't even imagine how tough Andrea, his grandkids, his dogs, and the rest of his family have it. They got the best part of Rod, not the internet poster, but the man. I don't know if there are enough prayers or words to fill that void and my heart is truly broken for them.

It's almost surreal, everyone curses the internet and sneers at relationships people have formed because of it, but here I sit writing this post with tears coming down my face after losing someone I'd consider a true friend.

As a man who loved the Rams above all else, I am so thankful he got to see one more run, one more title, and one more NCAA win. I am thankful his last games at the Ryan Center were W's, and that he got to witness that shellacking of PC in person.

I can only imagine that the first thing he did upon arrival to the pearly gates was to look up Dave Gavitt's whearabouts and have some words with him.

I hope the rest of this season plays out in a way that would cause Rod to have a giant smile on his face while he watches from the other side.

I'll forever think of Rod any time Rhody gets a win, signs a true big man, or someone tells me to cut the shit. Rest easy mi amici. Go Rhody.

Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
13 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Rod Carri has Passed Away

Unread post by reef »

Ugh I just find out about this on Facebook. I am very sorry to hear about this. God bless your soul Rod you will be missed. Prayers to your family
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......loss beyond any words right now.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

in utter shock right now
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Fuck, this sucks.

We had disagreements but it was always out of passion. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

The URI family now has a big hole in it. We were lucky to have fans like him

RIP big guy
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

RIP Rod. Very sorry for eveyone's loss.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

:(
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm at a loss. God Bless you Rod.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I’m so sorry to hear this. God Bless Rod and his family at this time. I cannot imagine using a loved one a few days before Christmas.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am in shock and truly saddened to hear this. RIP and God bless Rod.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I’m on my way to the game and am at an absolute loss. Rod was one of a kind and whether you loved him or hated him, he was one of the most passionate Rhody fans walking God’s green earth. A huge loss to our tiny community.

My thoughts and prayers are with Rod’s family and the Keaney Blue family as well.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I spoke with Rod at the pc game. I'm going to miss his wit.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Terrible news, so sorry to hear this. What a great, passionate, knowledgeable life-long fan he was. Didn't know him personally but his musings on this forum spoke volumes. I will truly miss his insight and impassioned opinions (and facts!).

Godspeed, and God Bless Rod and his loved ones.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rest in peace Rod from Cranston (his moniker used on the old local sports radio shows). A true and devoted Ram fan for decades. My sympathy to his family. He was an original one of a kind.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This is tough news. So glad I had the chance to meet Rod a few times - a true Rhody fan.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Damn, this is horrible. Rod taught me more about the history of Rhody basketball then he probably ever even realized. Might seem crazy to say about someone you've never actually met in person, but I loved discussing URI hoops with him, even when we got into it from time to time over the years. His passion was my favorite part of him.

Huge loss for the Rhody family.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Puts things in perspective. RIP Rodfromcranston.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rest in peace, Rod. We only met in person a couple of times, but I"ve chatted with regularly since Jim Harrick was coach. My sympathies to his family. He will be missed.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Awful news, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Great fan and seemed like a great guy even though we never met.

RIP Rod, I’ll miss reading your posts.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RIP Rod
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So sorry to hear this. Such a great guy......he will be missed big time by all.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

wow. He had some health issues recently?
But how old was he?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Miss you already, Rod.

Shocked. So glad I had a chance to catch up with him at the PC game.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston was the kind of fan every program needs: loyal but not a sycophant; a carrier of the flag and a defender against external critics that wasn't afraid to hold the program to account; an unofficial program historian; at times an insider and at other times the leader of a loyal opposition.

Rod Carri was as much of a legend for a program as a fan could be, and he was a good man as far as I've ever heard. He will be sorely missed here and at the Ryan and throughout Rhody Nation.

Godspeed, Rod.
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I am very saddened to hear this awful news. I had the pleasure of approaching Rod last season at halftime of a game and we chatted for 10 minutes. I always admired Rod and his views. Condolences to his family. Rod, you will be forever missed.

I think we should honor and remember him in some way on this message board - perhaps a section in his name..

I am very sorry Rod
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Sad news. He was at the last two games. He had some great posts about being back at the RC. Glad his daughter was able to take him. Rod was passionate about his Rams. He will be missed.

RIP Rod
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Sad to see such a Rhody legend leave us. My condolences to the Carri family.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

3 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Just heard the news. It's so hard to believe. We were friends for so many years. What a loss.
I called him at 3PM today and got his machine (he never answered his phone). I wondered why he didn't call back.
He loved his family so much.
As much as people here are saying what a great fan he was, believe me. He was an even better person.
Nothing more to say at this time.
6 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Didn’t know the man but loved his post. Dedicated fan and from what everybody says an even better person. Prayers for his family and friends tonight.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Didn't know him but I really enjoyed his banter. RIP Rod, thoughts are with his family.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Wow, shocked....I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to meet Rod...as most of you know, I'm pretty new here and he and I had some (very) spirited back and forths, and when I messaged him to see if we could meet for the first time...have to admit I was more than a bit nervous. But when I did, he was one of the nicest ever (as most of you probably already know). Only had 1 in person meeting, but exchanged a number of PMs here through the board and I have to say, he was one of my favorite people I ever met through this awesome thing known as Rhody basketball. I regret that I didn't actually get more time talking to him face to face, I along with many others will definitely miss him. Prayers to his other friends and family.
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Rod was one of the original posters back to the projo site day. The general, Donna Rn, spook, URI JOE and many more. The biggest compliment i can give Rod is he loved URI basketball unconditionly but wasnt afraid to criticize it when it was deserved.

I am glad he was able to see the PC game Victory before he left this earth.

RIP Rod. Enjoy the Keaney Blue sky amd tip one in when we need it most.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wish I could've have met him.

Easily the most profound poster on this board.
First person to welcome me on the board when I joined.

Seemed to be a man with great passion for the things that he loved.

We lost an all time great fan.

Miss and love you Rod.
Send us Rhody love from the heavens!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......breaking the news to nite, before the game, to Roady Jay, I felt like I was sharing the loss of a family member......well I was.....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody basketball is worse off now than it was this morning. We lost a big part of our history, both from his contributions as a fan and his knowledge of our history.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

God Bless him, Gonna miss his posts, very sad day.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Projo Fairness

Unread post by Blue Man »

rodfromcranston wrote:Cut the shit Blue Man, and go back and re-read
some of your commentary from last year, before
the March surge.
I don't know anyone,"openly weeping" about any of this.
The f-bombs and lashing out at us, is only by YOU,
who also is the only person defending Koch and Projo.
God damnit I’m going to miss all of this. :-(
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wow, don't even know what to say. I'm shocked.
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Very sad to hear of Rod’s passing. He and I go back for decades on this board. It seemed like if there was a topic to be discussed, everyone waited for his opinion. He was the backbone of the chat board. I thought I knew a little about ram history but I pale in comparison to Rod. He will be missed and impossible to replace. RIP
9 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I didn’t know Rod personally but I’m very saddened to hear the news of his passing. My thoughts are with his family. Rhody definitely lost a huge fan/supporter today. God bless him.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Rest in peace, my friend.....this emptiness fills my heart....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I hope we do some kind of acknowledgment at our next game and have his family come out to center court to hear how much we appreciated him.
8 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Tom98 wrote:I hope we do some kind of acknowledgment at our next game and have his family come out to center court to hear how much we appreciated him.
.....yes.....and a thousands likes for this one......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What a sad thing to happen just at this special time. Always had the best intentions and was not afraid to mix it up. RIP, Rod, you were one of a kind and they threw the mold away afterwards.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

This really sucks. Miss you already brother! don't know what to say except that this really sucks. May your precious soul be at peace.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rest In Peace rod. Always admired your seemed levelheadedness
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with ECR and hope we can find a way to make a tribute to Rod on this board somehow

Rod you were a true legend and may you Rest In Peace
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

So sorry to hear this news. His passion, intelligence and decency came through loud and clear. Godspeed Rod, and thoughts and prayers to his family.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Projo Fairness

Unread post by reef »

We all had our battles with Rod at one time or another

I remember I once ripped Harrick on the old Projo board about being shady when I was a newbie and Rod got in my grill so I remembered to try and never get Rod upset at me

Rod you were our number 1 fan and go back decades with knowledge, we know you will be looking down on us following URI hoops
1 x