12/21 | Iona Gaels | 7PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/21 | Iona Gaels | 7PM

Unread post by TruePoint »

luke wrote:Have to improve the outside shooting immediately or the conference games are going to be even uglier than this one.
RPI: 18
SOS: 9

A10: 10th ranked conference

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, that's all good.....if we keep winning.

We just need to play a little better, that's all. We can beat teams like Iona playing 15 minutes of good basketball....but is that good enough all the time?
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rambone 78 wrote:TP, that's all good.....if we keep winning.

We just need to play a little better, that's all. We can beat teams like Iona playing 15 minutes of good basketball....but is that good enough all the time?
Agree, their 2nd half was a ton better then the 1st. but if they play just a little better i think the CofC and Iona games are wins by 10+ that look a lot better then these grinding games. If the team shoots a few percentage pts better we will be singing a different tune.

I think overall they will be fine, with each game EC will get more rust off him, and hopefully Cyril will play like the CofC game. Shooting hopefully will improve a little and then our depth and D is what will wear down the A10
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I'm going to toot my own horn here.

I predicted a 5 guard line up at the end of games that we are up in the score.

I'm glad Dan took my advice. :D
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Just to give a visual of the point I've been trying to make here:
Team	Current RPI	Expected RPI 
Virginia	18	7.4
Nevada	        14	19
Seton Hall	17	20.3
Rhode Island	19	31.5
St. Bona	50	43.9
Alabama	        22	46.3
Providence	56	84.3
Davidson	170	87.4
Iona	        108	93.2
VCU	        109	101.1
Dayton	        72	111.3
La Salle	70	121.8
Charleston	182	130.8
UNC Asheville	145	137
Saint Joseph's	203	169.1
GW           	160	172.4
FGCU	        222	173.5
Massachusetts	176	183.7
Saint Louis	171	213.1
Duquesne	270	239.3
George Mason	236	240.8
Richmond	262	254
Brown	        277	267.1
Fordham	        285	271.3
Holy Cross	306	279.5
When you watch us play, it isn't hard to identify areas where we aren't perfect. I agree that can and should shoot better, but clearly whatever we are doing is working. The proof is in the pudding. If we were beating up on the 209th ranked schedule I would the first person here ringing the alarm, but what we are doing is working against good teams. I also think that our shooting struggles actually bode well for this team, since we are winning without shooting it well and shooting is one of those things that tends to level off over time. I think we will find our level shooting the ball, and when we do it will make us that much tougher to play against.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cyril regressed again....still not 100%? EC is clearly not either.....

We need both of them to get there.

Man, those are some butt ugly RPI's coming out of the A10......

Our expected RPI looks good, but a couple of stumbles and it won't be......

We need to go 14-4 to feel safe going into the conference tourney. Also assuming we take care of business against FGCU.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TP, I think that's a good visual. With how down the A10 is, Iona and Charleston are lower upper level/upper mid level A10 teams. Raising our game means we go like 16-2 in the A10 compared to like 14-4.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:Just to give a visual of the point I've been trying to make here:
Virginia	18	7.4
Nevada	        14	19
Seton Hall	17	20.3
Rhode Island	19	31.5
St. Bona	50	43.9
Alabama	        22	46.3
Providence	56	84.3
Davidson	170	87.4
Iona	        108	93.2
VCU	        109	101.1
Dayton	        72	111.3
La Salle	70	121.8
Charleston	182	130.8
UNC Asheville	145	137
Saint Joseph's	203	169.1
GW           	160	172.4
FGCU	        222	173.5
Massachusetts	176	183.7
Saint Louis	171	213.1
Duquesne	270	239.3
George Mason	236	240.8
Richmond	262	254
Brown	        277	267.1
Holy Cross	306	279.5
For a pure numbers look at this. If you assume that Rhody plays the rest of the season the way they played the last game, you could project the following losses (also adjusting for home court vs away):

Bonnies at home
At Bonnies
At VCU
At Dayton
At LaSalle
At Davidson

That would be 12-6. I think they will do better than that because I think they will play better. This refutes what I believe TP’s point is - that they don’t have to play better. They need to improve their shooting.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Just to give a visual of the point I've been trying to make here:
Virginia	18	7.4
Nevada	        14	19
Seton Hall	17	20.3
Rhode Island	19	31.5
St. Bona	50	43.9
Alabama	        22	46.3
Providence	56	84.3
Davidson	170	87.4
Iona	        108	93.2
VCU	        109	101.1
Dayton	        72	111.3
La Salle	70	121.8
Charleston	182	130.8
UNC Asheville	145	137
Saint Joseph's	203	169.1
GW           	160	172.4
FGCU	        222	173.5
Massachusetts	176	183.7
Saint Louis	171	213.1
Duquesne	270	239.3
George Mason	236	240.8
Richmond	262	254
Brown	        277	267.1
Holy Cross	306	279.5
For a pure numbers look at this. If you assume that Rhody plays the rest of the season the way they played the last game, you could project the following losses (also adjusting for home court vs away):

Bonnies at home
At Bonnies
At VCU
At Dayton
At LaSalle
At Davidson

That would be 12-6. I think they will do better than that because I think they will play better. This refutes what I believe TP’s point is - that they don’t have to play better. They need to improve their shooting.
Based on the way they’ve been playing, they’re predicted to win the conference and are favored to win all but one game (at Bona).

Room for improvement? Of course. Every team but one at the end of the season can say that.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
Virginia	18	7.4
Nevada	        14	19
Seton Hall	17	20.3
Rhode Island	19	31.5
St. Bona	50	43.9
Alabama	        22	46.3
Providence	56	84.3
Davidson	170	87.4
Iona	        108	93.2
VCU	        109	101.1
Dayton	        72	111.3
La Salle	70	121.8
Charleston	182	130.8
UNC Asheville	145	137
Saint Joseph's	203	169.1
GW           	160	172.4
FGCU	        222	173.5
Massachusetts	176	183.7
Saint Louis	171	213.1
Duquesne	270	239.3
George Mason	236	240.8
Richmond	262	254
Brown	        277	267.1
Holy Cross	306	279.5

Bonnies at home
At Bonnies
At VCU
At Dayton
At LaSalle
At Davidson

First, I don't know where you are getting these projections from, but according to rpiforecast URI will be favored in all of its remaining games save for @Bonnies, where they will be 1.5 point dogs. I am not predicting a 18-1 finish, but it would be pretty surprising if the rest of the season played out the way you have supposed here. I understand that you're saying that if they play as they did last night this could happen, but not only is it unlikely that they repeat their worst performance over and over again, they have already gone on the road and played that bad and still almost beat a team that is better than all the teams that you mentioned (except maybe Bonnies).

Second, I don't know how you are interpreting my point as "they don't need to play better" when I have said specifically the opposite over and over. We can't be expected to repeat ourselves over an over again in our posts - it would be exhausting to write and exhausting to read - so I assume that the other things I've said here on a topic are incorporated into my posts. Here is some of what I've said on this topic:

Here is what I said in the post that you actually quoted, which you cut out of your post:
When you watch us play, it isn't hard to identify areas where we aren't perfect. I agree that we can and should shoot better, but clearly whatever we are doing is working. The proof is in the pudding. If we were beating up on the 209th ranked schedule I would the first person here ringing the alarm, but what we are doing is working against good teams. I also think that our shooting struggles actually bode well for this team, since we are winning without shooting it well and shooting is one of those things that tends to level off over time. I think we will find our level shooting the ball, and when we do it will make us that much tougher to play against.
Earlier in this thread:
With the qualifier that I was traveling in New York and didn't actually get to (have to?) watch this, I'm not all that bothered by what seems like a subpar performance. They're going to happen. I'll take it as a good sign that we can throw up a subpar performance and still beat a pretty good team - likely a tournament team.

Want to start seeing a little bit more finely tuned performance as we ramp up for the stretch run over the next month. This team is obviously about as talented as we expected and getting healthier. Good teams should improve thru January and February and peek in March. If that happens we will be OK.
Charleston thread:
There have been some games where we haven't shot it well, but we've played the 8th toughest schedule in the country and did the hardest part of that without the preseason POY in our conference and some of it without our best big man (or with a severely limited version of him). And yet, here we sit with an RPI hovering around 20 and expected to end up around 30, with wins against some good teams and no losses to bad teams. How bad could we be, really?

Shooting is an easy thing to identify - my wife could say "wow we are missing a lot of shots today" - but there are a lot of other things that go into winning basketball games. We must be doing a bunch of those things reasonably well. If anything, the ability to win games against legitimate teams without having really found our level offensively is encouraging. I am never surprised by the unrelenting insistence on finding the gloom to focus on, but things are actually pretty good right now.
Defending that post in the Charleston thread:
Rambone, it is totally fair to say "I think this team can shoot better from the floor, and it will need to if it wants to accomplish its highest goals this season." That is an entirely uncontroversial thing to say and I'd agree with you. I just take exception to the idea that "we have not played really well...we will need to raise our game in conference." I don't think I agree with that.
I'm sure I could go back further and find more examples. If you think we have different opinions and want to have a discussion about it, fine. But don't misrepresent what my point is so that you can make your argument. I think it is obvious that my point is not what you said it is.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Loving our current RPI

Kudos to DH and staff for doing a great job on the OOC
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't understand EC's situation. He hurt his wrist and returns and stands around on offense making his teammates play 4 on 5. His stamina should not be an issue, particularly for the time he is playing.

Fatts has hit the wall and has had a negative impact on team performance the past 2 games. The official scorer has been generous with regard to his TOs. His decision making with the ball is awful. Will he turn into another Akeem Richmond?

I thought EC and Cyril would be the key to success this year, and they hardly played against Iona. Jared, Jeff and Stan are carrying this team.

I'm watching FGCU vs Wichita. URI is going to get its clock cleaned Wednesday night if the present level of play continues.

FT shooting has improved. 3Pt shooting is a disgrace.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jared is this teams best player. The crowd needs to egg him on and he will go. Yell at him, tell him he needs to take over in game and he will.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......granted Fatts has not had the bust out continuation of the performances he put up against a Brown and PC, but the turning into another Akeem Richmond way off in that all he could do is burp up threes.....the Fatts ceiling is way up there......I will hold he will grow into being special.....Jared just need to go into his put the team on his back mode earlier in each game.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 is not a serious poster. He used to be a sort of provocateur, but he's lost his fastball even for saying absurd shit.

Saying Fatts Russell is the next Akeem Richmond is almost as hilarious as him purporting to give free throw shooting advice to Jimmy Baron (career 90.4% FT shooter).

FGCU is going to clean our clocks...FGCU is not nearly as good as Iona, who we beat playing poorly. But if we play the same way against them we will get our clocks cleaned. Lol, ok guy.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't have any history on FGCU...at all...but, they looked quite a bit better against Wichita State than Iona did here....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe. They might have played well against Wichita State. They also got blown out at home by Oral Roberts and are a 200+ RPI team. And hey, they could come in here and beat us if we play poorly. Totally agree with that. But clean our clocks? How many teams have cleaned our clocks? I don't see FGCU as being one of them.
4 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I agree with luke on the shooting dought which stat wise is very different for the last three games as compared to the first seven. In fact, the euphoria of the PC win masked the fact that both team shooting and Fatts performance declined in the second half of that game. The team shooting dropped to 33% and Fatts who put in 2 of 3 treys in the first half went 0-3 in the second. The Rams were on the brink of getting to 15 point lead and why that lead evaporated to a one possession game was bad shooting. Fatts 3 point shooting since then now stands at an abysmal 2-14.

Remember Stats are averages which stand-alone do not totally reflect the game's flow. For example, in the Iona game, the Rams faced one point deficit at the half on 33% shooting. We came out in the second stanza and on three straight possessions failed to connect which brought down the shooting percentage below 30% and in the span of two minute drought Iona built a 9 point lead. From that point the Rams revved up their shooting and that plus outrebounding Iona and second chance opportunities led to URI getting back into the game and eventually taking the lead.

Our next opponent is a FGCU team whose starters/bench are big - three 6-10 players, two others 6-9, and 6-7. Actually Cyril and Berry may better match-up versus FGCU better than they did against a scrappy, quick Iona team. Let's hope so because driving to the basket for buckets against these tall trees will be a challenge for Ram guards. And this puts more pressure on the need for better outside shooting.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on 72 your better than that comparing Fatts with Akeem . Fatts has a chance to be a top 10 career scorer at URI

Oh yeah keep giving Jimmy B shooting lessons he really needs it lol
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Akeem Richmond was a stand still shooter that didn't shoot that well.. Could not create his own shot nor could he play D.... Fatts is a lightening quick FRESHMAN ( 10 games into his career) . HHe has already contributed to a couple of big wins with good shooting, ball handling and D... He will endure more rough patches this year but his ceiling is significantly higher than Richmond's ever was... Just my opinion.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

72's take on Fatts is certainly overly harsh, and the comparison to Richmond is way off, but I agree with him wondering about EC's situation. With a hand injury, it shouldn't be "playing into game shape". Probably more like his shooting is still off, and needs to get back into the flow. And we're not going to get away with not playing the bigs forever. It's going to cost us games at some point. And Jared needs to simply take over and be the star, period, all game every game.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

The development of a team chemistry has slowed the offense mostly, and the defense somewhat........all as a result of injuries to E.C., Cyril, and Ryan.

E.C.'s play the last eight minutes was really encouraging.....HURLEY had him playing a one man zone at the top of the key. He switched off only when the center was there......I thought those five minutes were the turning point of the game. Iona was not able to penetrate. Hats off to Hurley.
He is a true team player, and doing whatever it takes.

Fatts was playing against defenders as quick as him, with more length. His shots kept Iona's defense honest, even though they weren't falling.

Cyril and Andre's footwork was too slow, but we may not see teams that would match Iona's speed. I saw Cyril grimace on one rebound, and he didn't play after that......Akele could match their pace. He is taking fewer shots this year, and concentrating on offensive rebounds.

Garrett is having a really nice senior year on both sides of the ball.
Dowtin has gotten much more aggressive.
Stan and Jared are "the men".

The chemistry will come. It effects the offense, as well as the defense. Hurley is still learning the right combos. Have faith all, we will have a nice year. Cyril's injury will probably be season long, and as a result there will be a lot of experimenting.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:Jared is this teams best player. The crowd needs to egg him on and he will go. Yell at him, tell him he needs to take over in game and he will.
I don’t like to think of who is the teams best player. Fact is for URI to max out their performance this season they need BOTH Terrell and Mathews playing their best basketball.
Some said Terrell plays better with EC not in the lineup but I have not seen that occur

The crowd can urge Terrell on, so can our Coaches, but JT needs to urge himself on too. The crowd can’t help at St Bonaventure.

When Terrell is on he is amazing, looks and acts like a potential All America candidate. Looks like A10 POY. When he shows that swagger then watch out - as in the 2nd half of the Charleston game

JT has had good games of 24,25,32,16,21 and 23 points.
His low for the year was game 1 vs UNC Asheville with only 6/points.

His other 3 lowest games were against tough opponents:
Virginia: 38 min, 11 points on 4-11 FGs, 2-2 on threes, 1-1 FTs, 1 rebound, 6 assists, 2 steals
Providence: 34 min, 11 points on 2-11 FGs, 0-5 on threes, 7-8 FTs, 1 rebound, 3 assists, 4 steals
Alabama: 29 min, 9 points, 4-13 FGs,1-6 on threes, 0-0 FTs, 1 rebound, 2 Assists, 1 steal

His best game of the year was Seton Hall :
38 min, 32 points on 9-17 FGs, 4-6 on threes, 10-10 FTs, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal

Seems like JT is at his best when he rebounds the ball. Against Virginia, PC and Alabama he had a total of only 3 rebounds in 101 minutes. Maybe DH should have JT in the lane on FTs just so he can grab a few easy rebounds to get himself and the team going.

The big question is how to harness that A10 POY Capability and make it come to be consistently.

His shooting has consistently improved

3 pointers:
Year 1: 31.9%
Year 2: 34.7%
Year 3: 34.6%
Year 4: 38.3%

FTs:
Year 1: 71.4%
Year 2: 75.0%
Year 3: 75.0%
Year 4: 83.3%

DH and Staff and teammates and JT himself need to find ways to get JT more shots. His Shooting is at the highest level of his career at URI. URI can not afford to have JT not shooting the ball.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CTRamfan wrote:The development of a team chemistry has slowed the offense mostly, and the defense somewhat........all as a result of injuries to E.C., Cyril, and Ryan.

E.C.'s play the last eight minutes was really encouraging.....HURLEY had him playing a one man zone at the top of the key. He switched off only when the center was there......I thought those five minutes were the turning point of the game. Iona was not able to penetrate. Hats off to Hurley.
He is a true team player, and doing whatever it takes.

Fatts was playing against defenders as quick as him, with more length. His shots kept Iona's defense honest, even though they weren't falling.

Cyril and Andre's footwork was too slow, but we may not see teams that would match Iona's speed. I saw Cyril grimace on one rebound, and he didn't play after that......Akele could match their pace. He is taking fewer shots this year, and concentrating on offensive rebounds.

Garrett is having a really nice senior year on both sides of the ball.
Dowtin has gotten much more aggressive.
Stan and Jared are "the men".

The chemistry will come. It effects the offense, as well as the defense. Hurley is still learning the right combos. Have faith all, we will have a nice year. Cyril's injury will probably be season long, and as a result there will be a lot of experimenting.

CtRamFan,
I agree with all you said.

The Iona Game was a big win for us, and not an easy 6 point victory.
EC had a big blocked shot in that game with 5 minutes to go and URI holding to a 63-60 lead. Stan grabbed the EC block, passed to Garrett who assisted to JT to make the score 65-60, all triggered by the EC block. Ball quickly touched the hands of 4 Rhody players.

Russell was big at the 9 minute mark
With URI losing 52-50 with 9:30 to go Fatts got fouled and calmly sank the 2 FTs. Then 30 seconds later JT hit Fatts for a clutch 3 pointer to make the score 55-52 Rhody - an important sequence with Fatts scoring 5 unanswered points.

Stan Robinson has been huge for URI
Stan has had two double-doubles in his career at URI and they have both come in the last two games
Charleston he had 10 rebounds, 10 points
Iona he had 10 rebounds, 12 points
Stan leads URI in rebounding with 6.0 per game. He also leads in steals with 2.9 per game. Who would have predicted Stan as our leading rebounder. He has filled a role for us very nicely
Stan is shooting 39.1% on three pointers

Dowtin has been very steady
Most minutes played for URI have been Terrell with 331 and Dowtin with 327 - gives an idea of the faith Hurley has in these two guys
Jeff is at 8.2 ppg, 3.5 rebounds per game and a team high 4.2 assists per game
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote:I don't understand EC's situation. He hurt his wrist and returns and stands around on offense making his teammates play 4 on 5. His stamina should not be an issue, particularly for the time he is playing.

Fatts has hit the wall and has had a negative impact on team performance the past 2 games. The official scorer has been generous with regard to his TOs. His decision making with the ball is awful. Will he turn into another Akeem Richmond?

I thought EC and Cyril would be the key to success this year, and they hardly played against Iona. Jared, Jeff and Stan are carrying this team.

I'm watching FGCU vs Wichita. URI is going to get its clock cleaned Wednesday night if the present level of play continues.

FT shooting has improved. 3Pt shooting is a disgrace.
I think EC is working his way back into the line up snowless so as to not disrupt team chemistry. We need him contributing at his best level if we are to max out in post season play. He had a huge block vs Iona and nailed his FTs.

Not sure if you have read the Dayton Russell recruiting thread but I went back and reread it after reading your comments. I saw Russell play several times in AAu and he was amazing. He is just a freashman playing on one of the most loaded guard team in college basketball. Fact he is seeing so much playing tkmevtells you how the URI coaching staff feels about him. Be patient, this kid is something special.
0 x