Hampton Univ and A-10 talked about membership?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Hampton Univ and A-10 talked about membership?

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Zzzzzz
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote:I wouldnt mind a move to the AAC if Umass came too. that would fix the main problem with the AAC which is a lack of good rivalries. It has the potential to be a good basketball conference each year with some good programs but no rivalry games that make for good TV. UConn, URI, Umass have a historic hatred of each other that would make that conference better.
UCONN would have regional rights and isn’t letting Rhody or UMass in any league they are in. They wont even play Rhody.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Rhody83 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:I wouldnt mind a move to the AAC if Umass came too. that would fix the main problem with the AAC which is a lack of good rivalries. It has the potential to be a good basketball conference each year with some good programs but no rivalry games that make for good TV. UConn, URI, Umass have a historic hatred of each other that would make that conference better.
UCONN would have regional rights and isn’t letting Rhody or UMass in any league they are in. They wont even play Rhody.
Calhoun wouldn't play URI. With their recent troubled history I am willing to bet this could change. Their fans have even talked about it on their message board.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I'm too much of a "youngin" to recall this personally but I understand that a Rhody-UConn rivalry was a fixture of the old Yankee Conference. Obviously this was back before UConn was UConn... but now that UConn is back to being just regular old UConn (at least for the moment), I'd love to see that rivalry reignite (especially if it were held annually at Mohegan as people have suggested).

As far as the redic conference talk that's been posted...at the moment I'd much rather see a stronger A10 than try to jet for "greener" pastures.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Geographically agree it did not make sense to have URIand PC. But with that argument it didn’t make sense to offer UCONN and Holy Cross.
Agree URI AD would have done the same with PC - most likely, but we don’t know since it didn’t happen.

But what the generations of fans and students don’t know is the hate Gavitt had for URI. Mike Tranghese did whatever Gavitt said. Gavitt never got over being spurned by Sly Williams - never.

So when BillyBoy, Rhode Island, myself and others get questioned as to why we don’t root for PC because it would help our RPI and help our state this type of history review might help them understand. Of course too “you had to be there”.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.
I remember reading an article in the journal at the time the schools were talking about forming a new league where our AD said something like(not an exact quote) "We'll leave it up to Dave." So much for that.
I, also, will never cheer for pc.
How long can you root against a team, even when it's to your own detriment?
When the main guy responsible has been gone for 5+ years?
Time to let it go and just be satisfied to be "better"?

Personally, I can root against them FOREVER!!!
Guess you had to be there.
Last edited by ramfan85 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Can't believe I missed this "get over PC" line of logic. Just for the record: FUCK PC. Obviously for RPI reasons I want them to get shit done against anyone but us and other A10 teams that we get to play twice... but otherwise fuck that fucking shithouse.

If you need reasons to hate that school and its basketball team I am ready to supply them, but it should suffice to say that in no way is URI-PC your typical "local rivalry". PC grads have been disproportionately filling the ranks of the state legislature for decades, voting down improvements to URI and cutting our budget. Why do you think every fucking URI expenditure now goes to the goddamn ballot? We are the most underfunded state university in New England thanks to the private school scion in the state leg, especially PC grads. It's only just started to improve lately in terms of numbers.

When I was younger there was a saying, even among non-URI kids:

"Providence College: Too rich for Rhody, too stupid for Brown"

Fuck that place.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Holy Cross had a good program in 1978. So did UConn. URI was the best team in New England, better than any of those teams that were invited. Gavitt never got over Sly, and then URI beats PC by 40 some points. He hated URI. He kept them out because he hated URI. He wanted to send them back to mediocrity. He succeeded.
Once again I am not denying Gavitt hated uri . But it also made no sense to have two schools from a small state when trying to start a new confrence It would have been doomed from the start.

That being said yes he is going to protect his teams interest just like Villanova did not want Temple or St Joes in or Xavier does not want Dayton. Uri would have done the same thing weather you want to admit it or not.
Geographically agree it did not make sense to have URIand PC. But with that argument it didn’t make sense to offer UCONN and Holy Cross either.
Agree URI AD would have done the same with PC - most likely, but we don’t know since it didn’t happen.

But what the generations of younger fans and students don’t know is the hate Gavitt had for URI. Mike Tranghese did whatever Gavitt said. Gavitt never got over being spurned by Sly Williams - never.

So when BillyBoy, Rhode Island Red, myself and others get questioned as to why we don’t root for PC because it would help our RPI and help our State, this type of history review might help them understand. Of course also “you had to be there”.
This line of thinking is so wrong and backwards. Conferences historically have been loaded with multiple teams from the same states and neighboring states. The traditional Pac10 had four teams from California and two each from Washington, Oregon and Arizona. North Carolina has four teams in the ACC, and it always has - at its founding in 1953 it was just those four schools plus Virgina, Maryland and two South Carolina schools (Clemson and South Carolina). These states are geographically contiguous. The traditional Big Ten had two schools each in Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, plus schools from the contiguous states of Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa. The Big Twelve traditional had four Texas schools along with two from Oklahoma and two from Kansas, plus four others from contiguous states. The SEC has consisted of two schools from Alabama and Mississippi, along with schools from all of the neighboring states in that part of the country.

Having schools geographically close enough that the footprint of the fan bases overlap has always been a feature of conference alignments until recently. It is, in my opinion, fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of college sports to try to create arbitrary fandom borders like professional sports. I think it’s shortsighted and robs college athletics of one of its coolest aspects.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, correct, but try telling that to Xavier, BC, PC and a few others.....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's a problem in areas where pro sports are bigger than college sports. Athletic departments are worried that rivals in the same conference will hurt their brand or whatever. They can't grasp that's what builds the brand in college sports.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Once again I am not denying Gavitt hated uri . But it also made no sense to have two schools from a small state when trying to start a new confrence It would have been doomed from the start.

That being said yes he is going to protect his teams interest just like Villanova did not want Temple or St Joes in or Xavier does not want Dayton. Uri would have done the same thing weather you want to admit it or not.
Geographically agree it did not make sense to have URIand PC. But with that argument it didn’t make sense to offer UCONN and Holy Cross either.

But what the generations of younger fans and students don’t know is the hate Gavitt had for URI. Mike Tranghese did whatever Gavitt said. Gavitt never got over being spurned by Sly Williams - never.

So when BillyBoy, Rhode Island Red, myself and others get questioned as to why we don’t root for PC because it would help our RPI and help our State, this type of history review might help them understand. Of course also “you had to be there”.
This line of thinking is so wrong and backwards. Conferences historically have been loaded with multiple teams from the same states and neighboring states. The traditional Pac10 had four teams from California and two each from Washington, Oregon and Arizona. North Carolina has four teams in the ACC, and it always has - at its founding in 1953 it was just those four schools plus Virgina, Maryland and two South Carolina schools (Clemson and South Carolina). These states are geographically contiguous. The traditional Big Ten had two schools each in Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, plus schools from the contiguous states of Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa. The Big Twelve traditional had four Texas schools along with two from Oklahoma and two from Kansas, plus four others from contiguous states. The SEC has consisted of two schools from Alabama and Mississippi, along with schools from all of the neighboring states in that part of the country.

Having schools geographically close enough that the footprint of the fan bases overlap has always been a feature of conference alignments until recently. It is, in my opinion, fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of college sports to try to create arbitrary fandom borders like professional sports. I think it’s shortsighted and robs college athletics of one of its coolest aspects.
This harkens back to the days where travel/distance/rivalries were all positive considerations. Now teams take charter jets; and are protective of media markets. BIG difference with financial implications. Marketing over rivalries.....sadly.
0 x