Hampton Univ and A-10 talked about membership?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Hampton Univ and A-10 talked about membership?

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rhodylaw wrote:I wouldnt mind a move to the AAC if Umass came too. that would fix the main problem with the AAC which is a lack of good rivalries. It has the potential to be a good basketball conference each year with some good programs but no rivalry games that make for good TV. UConn, URI, Umass have a historic hatred of each other that would make that conference better.
We don't have a FBS football.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Why do we need to add? If there's anything we should have learned from the new Big East it's that you're better off with a smaller league with fewer bad programs at the bottom
► Show Spoiler
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody74 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:I wouldnt mind a move to the AAC if Umass came too. that would fix the main problem with the AAC which is a lack of good rivalries. It has the potential to be a good basketball conference each year with some good programs but no rivalry games that make for good TV. UConn, URI, Umass have a historic hatred of each other that would make that conference better.
Wichita State doesn't either. This would kind of be the dream scenario, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Wichita State doesn't either. This would kind of be the dream scenario, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.
Wichita State is also on a different level than us. If we could consistently make the tournament and put more money into the program I could see the AAC considering us but until that happens I think we'd be too much of a risk in their eyes.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody74 wrote:
Not yet! That scenario would open that door a little.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

By not yet I assume you mean not ever. We're never moving up to FBS.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Yes - I was kidding. I don't see that move in our future.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sorry, my fault for not picking up on that.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This does actually make some sense.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I've always liked the A10. But having the new England thing going on in the AAC is enticing.

Plus the A10 is dead. It is a Virginia based thing now.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think the AAC would look at VCU also if the were going to expand in non football schools
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree let's lose 2 dregs Fordham and somebody else then look to add in a few years
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They have already expanded to non football schools. Wichita State.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I know Ramster sorry I worded it wrong I’m on my phone. VCU as an additional non football school
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree with you UCH that VCU would be looked at. Dayton could opt for the Big East, URI should continue to build its reputation in Basketball (and all sports for that matter), Saint Louis could opt for BE and other options especially if Dayton bolted.
VCU would make sense for the AAC, and would have other options too with their school size and 100+ straight B-Ball sell outs.
Makes sense to talk about the top conference teams, building rivalries with them that could continue to future conferences.

Talk about Fordham, LaSalle, Duquesne Hs been going on forever on this board. Dayton, VCU, URI, UMASS will be long gone before the A10 removes any teams. Leagues just don’t cut bait on their own- Conference to Conference moves like what Wichita State and Valpo just did are the norm.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

AAC would make sense for URI from a competition standpoint but....

Their TV deal really isn't all that great, nowhere near what the BE schools make....which would impact a school like URI a lot due to what would be a huge increase in travel costs....the AAC has a huge geographical area to cover.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What I would like to see, is the A10 and CAA merge into a new league, with the new league taking the best programs from each....say 6-8 A10 and 4-6 CAA.....and leave the rest to form their own lower level league.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I'd bet that Wichita State will regret their move to the AAC. There's nothing worse than being a non-football school in a football conference. In the Big East, the basketball schools continually made accommodations for the football schools, and it was never enough. I'm confident in saying that not one of the current Big East schools would go back to the old layout. Remember, ESPN gave the AAC no extra money in their TV contract for adding Wichita State. They are committing on NCAA tournament appearance revenues to make it worthwhile.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like that idea Bone makes a lot of sense
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:If we're going to consistently be at or near the top of the A10 for the next few years, is there any chance we get invited to a better conference? I mean, Dave Gavitt can't stop us anymore...
Dave Gavitt never stopped you in the first place because you were never under consideration. Even if he pushed for you to get in ( which I agree he never would have) you still would not have got in. It was well publicized at the time that the conference was built around big media outlets . In fact if had not been Gavitt that created the conference PC would probably not have got in themselves.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:If we're going to consistently be at or near the top of the A10 for the next few years, is there any chance we get invited to a better conference? I mean, Dave Gavitt can't stop us anymore...
Dave Gavitt never stopped you in the first place because you were never under consideration. Even if he pushed for you to get in ( which I agree he never would have) you still would not have got in. It was well publicized at the time that the conference was built around big media outlets . In fact if had not been Gavitt that created the conference PC would probably not have got in themselves.
Of course Gavitt didn't consider us.....duh.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
If it were built among big media markets, why was Holy Cross (Worcester) invited?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
If it were built among big media markets, why was Holy Cross (Worcester) invited?
Yeah, and Syracuse.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Syracuse is a HUGE NYC market draw, even if the campus is upstate. Holy Cross is what PC would of been without Gavitt creating the conference. There still would of been banners in the rafters, but it wouldn't be a current top tier school. if Jo Pa would of gotten the east coast Big 10 he advocated for, PC wouldn't of been "in".
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rambone 78 wrote:AAC would make sense for URI from a competition standpoint but....

Their TV deal really isn't all that great, nowhere near what the BE schools make....which would impact a school like URI a lot due to what would be a huge increase in travel costs....the AAC has a huge geographical area to cover.
I know it's just speculation, but consideration of a move to the AAC would be a terrible decision for most schools, especially basketball schools. The AAC is still the land of misfit toys, a lot of schools there just waiting for the opportunity for a football opening to take the next step. The AAC wouldn't seem so exciting without Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, UCONN, etc., and at that point, it's like why add such a huge increase to the travel budget to play with Wichita St., Temple, UCF, Tulane, Tulsa, South Florida, East Carolina, etc? The best thing the A10 could do, and we've talked about this for years, is making strong requirements so that the bottom teams either had to elevate their facilities and program resources or go to a smaller conference. Hopefully, you force the hand of the bottom, and get rid of 2 programs consistently with 200+ RPI's. At that point, the whole conference improves, since you are replacing those games for games against teams with higher RPI's... But, between URI, VCU, Dayton, all it takes is one or two other teams every year rising up, and then you have the AAC without having to travel frequently to Texas, Louisiana, Florida, etc.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Why not a package deal with URI , Dayton, VCU and Davidson joining the Big East after next season. Marquette Creighton, Xavier and Depaul would gain a closer opponent in Dayton, and Georgetown would pick up VCU. I know the Big East definitely wants to expand. Providence Seton Hall and St. Johns would also have URI as a closer opponent. Imagine the rivalry with URI and Providence then. It would add travel balance to their league and renew
the old rivalries of Dayton vs Xavier and Marquette vs Dayton.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

luke wrote:Why not a package deal with URI , Dayton, VCU and Davidson joining the Big East after next season. Marquette Creighton, Xavier and Depaul would gain a closer opponent in Dayton, and Georgetown would pick up VCU. I know the Big East definitely wants to expand. Providence Seton Hall and St. Johns would also have URI as a closer opponent. Imagine the rivalry with URI and Providence then. It would add travel balance to their league and renew
This will never, ever happen, not for a long time if ever.
They do say they are content with 10 teams.
I don't believe that.
They do say that they never want to leave the double round-robin.
I do believe that.
I think at some point in the next 3 years they will add an 11th team, and play all existing teams 2x per season (20 conference games), especially as the ACC and B1G add 2 more conference games to their schedule.
The conference does not want to dilute itself, it also wants to try if possible to maintain that private identity if possible.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
woodennickel1
ARD

luke wrote:Why not a package deal with URI , Dayton, VCU and Davidson joining the Big East after next season. Marquette Creighton, Xavier and Depaul would gain a closer opponent in Dayton, and Georgetown would pick up VCU. I know the Big East definitely wants to expand. Providence Seton Hall and St. Johns would also have URI as a closer opponent. Imagine the rivalry with URI and Providence then. It would add travel balance to their league and renew
Word is the Big East will not go above eleven teams. The coaches love the round robin format. My guess if another team is finally added would be Saint Louis.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Do you really think had the URI AD at the time had created the conference PC would have been invited ? I think not.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

must be slow on the pc website today :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote:must be slow on the pc website today :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm thinking it's slow everywhere....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Do you really think had the URI AD at the time had created the conference PC would have been invited ? I think not.
Woodennickel1,

You just proved the point. Dave Gavitt stopped URI from being in the Big East period. If we were never under consideration it is exactly because Dave Gavitt never wanted URI under consideration.
The media excuse makes no sense as has already been pointed out. Holy Cross should never therefore have been considered (BC already in) and it makes no sense for UCONN to have been invited instead of URI. But you are right - of course Dave Gavitt would never, ever, ever have invited URI to the Big East......and you are even supporting that with your latest comment "Do you really think had the URI AD at the time had created the conference PC would have been invited ? I think not."

But I will always remember fondly the day Sly Williams reported to URI on the 1st day of school and signed a Letter of Intent to attend URI. Sly had already verbally committed to PC over offers from UCONN, URI, Georgia, Minnesota, Texas, Tennessee and many others. Sly was POY in Connecticut, led his Lee HS team to the state Championship averaging 31 ppg and 22 rpg.

And then the memory of Sly playing in the 4 team tournament in the Providence Civic Center on December 28, 1976, with URI playing the #1 Nationally Ranked University of Michigan led by 1st team All American Ricky Green and 3rd team All American Phil Hubbard. All the Freshman, 6'7" Sly Williams did against Michigan was score 32 points!!!!!!!

I don't blame Dave Gavitt for keeping URI out of the BE. He had to be so unbelievable pissed off about losing Sly Williams to URI that he never, ever got over it. But let's not act like this was a media or other reason for keeping URI out of the BE. We all know better than that. :lol:
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

ramster wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Of course Gavitt didn't consider us.....duh.
Woodennickel1,

You just proved the point. Dave Gavitt stopped URI from being in the Big East period. If we were never under consideration it is exactly because Dave Gavitt never wanted URI under consideration.
The media excuse makes no sense as has already been pointed out. Holy Cross should never therefore have been considered (BC already in) and it makes no sense for UCONN to have been invited instead of URI. But you are right - of course Dave Gavitt would never, ever, ever have invited URI to the Big East......and you are even supporting that with your latest comment "Do you really think had the URI AD at the time had created the conference PC would have been invited ? I think not."

But I will always remember fondly the day Sly Williams reported to URI on the 1st day of school and signed a Letter of Intent to attend URI. Sly had already verbally committed to PC over offers from UCONN, URI, Georgia, Minnesota, Texas, Tennessee and many others. Sly was POY in Connecticut, led his Lee HS team to the state Championship averaging 31 ppg and 22 rpg.

And then the memory of Sly playing in the 4 team tournament in the Providence Civic Center on December 28, 1976, with URI playing the #1 Nationally Ranked University of Michigan led by 1st team All American Ricky Green and 3rd team All American Phil Hubbard. All the Freshman, 6'7" Sly Williams did against Michigan was score 32 points!!!!!!!

I don't blame Dave Gavitt for keeping URI out of the BE. He had to be so unbelievable pissed off about losing Sly Williams to URI that he never, ever got over it. But let's not act like this was a media or other reason for keeping URI out of the BE. We all know better than that. :lol:

I agree I am sure he was pissed . But like I say his idea was he wanted the big media markets it was talked about often when the conference was created. The only thing I can think of with Holy Cross was at the time they were a very strong program and had a storied history. He probably was afraid it would come back to bite him if he left them out.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

woodennickel1 wrote:
ramster wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Woodennickel1,

I agree I am sure he was pissed . But like I say his idea was he wanted the big media markets it was talked about often when the conference was created. The only thing I can think of with Holy Cross was at the time they were a very strong program and had a storied history. He probably was afraid it would come back to bite him if he left them out.
You are not going to compare UCONN media to URI are you seriously. I know their program had not taken off at that time but they still had a ton of media following them. Besides URI would be the same media market as PC .
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I doubt BE would go for St Louis I can think of a bunch of better options
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

reef wrote:I doubt BE would go for St Louis I can think of a bunch of better options

I was thinking Saint Louis because it's a different market . They should be getting better also believe they have a strong recruiting class coming in. Only other options I can see are Dayton, VCU, Richmond and URI all of which already have another BE team in the vicinity. UCONN not an option as long as they have football.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Woodennickel1,

You are not going to compare UCONN media to URI are you seriously. I know their program had not taken off at that time but they still had a ton of media following them. Besides URI would be the same media market as PC .
Exactly, UCONN had not taken off by then. UCONN took off BECAUSE of the Big East. Which media market do you think UCONN Dominated? Hartford? Storrs is a stones throw from URI.
Fact is Gavitt did not want URI in the Big East - period. Media market discussion is just discussion - Gavitt in no way, shapre or form wanted URI in the same conference as PC - he was so pissed off after the Sly Williams incident he couldn't see straight.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Holy Cross had a good program in 1978. So did UConn. URI was the best team in New England, better than any of those teams that were invited. Gavitt never got over Sly, and then URI beats PC by 40 some points. He hated URI. He kept them out because he hated URI. He wanted to send them back to mediocrity. He succeeded.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote:Holy Cross had a good program in 1978. So did UConn. URI was the best team in New England, better than any of those teams that were invited. Gavitt never got over Sly, and then URI beats PC by 40 some points. He hated URI. He kept them out because he hated URI. He wanted to send them back to mediocrity. He succeeded.
Once again I am not denying Gavitt hated uri . But it also made no sense to have two schools from a small state when trying to start a new confrence It would have been doomed from the start.

That being said yes he is going to protect his teams interest just like Villanova did not want Temple or St Joes in or Xavier does not want Dayton. Uri would have done the same thing weather you want to admit it or not.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If the A10 expands they would go two divisions so that's why they would talk to an interested Va school. Travel wise SL is the school that never made sense, which Majerus pointed out many times.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Holy Cross had a good program in 1978. So did UConn. URI was the best team in New England, better than any of those teams that were invited. Gavitt never got over Sly, and then URI beats PC by 40 some points. He hated URI. He kept them out because he hated URI. He wanted to send them back to mediocrity. He succeeded.
Once again I am not denying Gavitt hated uri . But it also made no sense to have two schools from a small state when trying to start a new confrence It would have been doomed from the start.

That being said yes he is going to protect his teams interest just like Villanova did not want Temple or St Joes in or Xavier does not want Dayton. Uri would have done the same thing weather you want to admit it or not.
Geographically agree it did not make sense to have URIand PC. But with that argument it didn’t make sense to offer UCONN and Holy Cross either.
Agree URI AD would have done the same with PC - most likely, but we don’t know since it didn’t happen.

But what the generations of younger fans and students don’t know is the hate Gavitt had for URI. Mike Tranghese did whatever Gavitt said. Gavitt never got over being spurned by Sly Williams - never.

So when BillyBoy, Rhode Island Red, myself and others get questioned as to why we don’t root for PC because it would help our RPI and help our State, this type of history review might help them understand. Of course also “you had to be there”.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

ramster wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:

Geographically agree it did not make sense to have URIand PC. But with that argument it didn’t make sense to offer UCONN and Holy Cross.
Agree URI AD would have done the same with PC - most likely, but we don’t know since it didn’t happen.

But what the generations of fans and students don’t know is the hate Gavitt had for URI. Mike Tranghese did whatever Gavitt said. Gavitt never got over being spurned by Sly Williams - never.

So when BillyBoy, Rhode Island, myself and others get questioned as to why we don’t root for PC because it would help our RPI and help our state this type of history review might help them understand. Of course too “you had to be there”.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.
I remember reading an article in the journal at the time the schools were talking about forming a new league where our AD said something like(not an exact quote) "We'll leave it up to Dave." So much for that.
I, also, will never cheer for pc.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I always pull against PC
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

My favorite college basketball team is whoever is playing Providence.

Yes even including Massachusetts

My favorite mlb team is whoever is playing NYY

Always
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:
ramster wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:

Geographically agree it did not make sense to have URIand PC. But with that argument it didn’t make sense to offer UCONN and Holy Cross.

But what the generations of fans and students don’t know is the hate Gavitt had for URI. Mike Tranghese did whatever Gavitt said. Gavitt never got over being spurned by Sly Williams - never.

So when BillyBoy, Rhode Island, myself and others get questioned as to why we don’t root for PC because it would help our RPI and help our state this type of history review might help them understand. Of course too “you had to be there”.

I remember reading an article in the journal at the time the schools were talking about forming a new league where our AD said something like(not an exact quote) "We'll leave it up to Dave." So much for that.
How long can you root against a team, even when it's to your own detriment?
When the main guy responsible has been gone for 5+ years?
Time to let it go and just be satisfied to be "better"?
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:
ramster wrote:

It's not to our own detriment.

Spare me the rpi garbage. PC doesn't make or break our schedule.

Id be thrilled if they go 0-30 and a 250+ RPI every year
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:

It's still only sports, Francis...

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:

Typically I would agree since I hate PC. We needed to pick up 2-3 top 50 wins in the non conference. We have two.

Right now PC is one of those teams. If you root against them your rooting against our chances of an at large. If we beat Nevada, Virginia, or Bama I would feel a lot better if PC sucked.

I hope PC wins every game for the rest of their season.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:
ramster wrote:

At least until I'm dead. I'll make a decision after that.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I hope pc loses every game the rest of the season. If this team is relying on pc to get to the dance, then the scheduling sucks or we do.
0 x