Projo Fairness

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Projo Fairness

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Since this is a frequent complaint around these parts, I thought I'd post a link to the Projo's executive editor's column from yesterday:

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... d-politics
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: Projo Fairness

Unread post by Section104 »

I thought this was funny from Koch over the weekend. He's quick to point out poor attendance at URI games, but will never dive into some of the issues with attendance (location, timing of game, opponent). Thankfully when on the road to watch PC play at UMass he does exactly that - cites opponent, location, and timing of event as reasons fans didn't show up. Making excuses for UMass crowd that has worse showing than the ACC school down the road, but won't do the same for URI.

Sidenote, did PROJO have coverage at our Nevada and Alabama games this year?

0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody74 wrote:Since this is a frequent complaint around these parts, I thought I'd post a link to the Projo's executive editor's column from yesterday:

meh, more of the same lies from the PC Journal.

notice he offers no explanation as to why our win over PC had ZERO mentions or stories on the front page or in the main section at all. It was all relegated to the sports section only despite the game being the biggest news story in the state that day.

Its no secret they're all just a bunch of good little altar boys for PC.

Its also no secret that Koch is a condescending, useless reporter. All he's good for is simple game recaps and putting the program down. Notice how he never breaks any news?

With friends like that....

I'll stick to guys like Katz and DiSano
5 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Section104 wrote:
Sidenote, did PROJO have coverage at our Nevada and Alabama games this year?

URI Games not in Kingston
It would appear that the Projo did not send an employee to either of URI's two true road games. Bill Koch wrote a small piece on the Nevada game but it did not list Reno as the origin and was light on content. I got the impression he wrote the piece based on viewing it from afar and not in person. The Projo used a paid stringer for the Alabama game. Koch did go to Brooklyn and wrote the articles for the two games there.

PC games not in Providence
It seems no stringers have been used for Friar games as the the Projo has had a staff member at EVERY game - home, away, and neutral site. McNamara did the two NYC games. Koch, McNamara, and Reynolds were at the PC-URI game. Koch went out to the UMass game (I would assume McNamara had a conflict) and wrote the Friar perspective post game article. The games in Kingston, Amherst, and NYC (which did not require much travel) are the only games PC has played outside Providence.

If the Projo is basing coverage on their travel expenses, it would seem that many conference games for both programs will not have the beat writer at them. Time will tell if the same standards are equally applied.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I still laugh everyone I remember our victory over PC this year had no mention of it on the front page on the Projo, when we all know if PC had beaten us, no question it would have been on the front.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote:I still laugh everyone I remember our victory over PC this year had no mention of it on the front page on the Projo, when we all know if PC had beaten us, no question it would have been on the front.
Was it on the front the last seven years?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Here's what I don't get re: Koch, and the vitriol for him.

I'm not sure what everyone's goals are for this basketball program, but mine has and will always be: national relevance.

There are many different paths to that goal, but along the way: winning, program investments, winning, nationally televised games against big opponents, winning those games, national press releases, consistent March basketball in the NCAAT, winning.

I swear I think most of this board only cares about being better than Providence. Like legitimately, I think there is a significant amount of posters (and elderly cow people that make up a large percentage of our fan base), who would be THRILLED if we were 1-30, while PC were 0-31. Nothing else matters in the world than being better than a middle-of-the-pack Big East team.

I think that's a shitty goal, and fool's gold. Thankfully I know others, mainly the coach and AD of our program, have higher goals.

When you get to a certain level of success, you shouldn't want "yes" men all around you providing you an echo chamber for your comfortable thoughts. You should seek out opinions based in an objective reality of the world around you, and not get stuck in the platitudes of basing every standard of this basketball program off of either itself, or basketball in South County RI.

I very much enjoy reading the objective opinion that Bill provides. He didn't go to URI, isn't a die hard URI fan, and doesn't get caught up in the peaks and valleys (Everest to Mariana's Trench on this board) that fans do.

It's wild - this board has a habit of every single loss thread going pages and pages longer than any win. Every big win is explained away as a fluke or we got lucky - but every loss means we suck and we can't go dancing and the world is ending - kinda like everyone forgot that last year happened and it's still 2012.

God forbid an "outsider" has the gall to say something *GASP* critical of the basketball program based on the perspective of the sports world at large, not based on our traditionally not-ready-for-the-bigtime program. It's totally OK for everyone on here to shit all over the program after a loss in a way that isn't correlative to our overall performance, but the second someone else offers a perspective that forcing thinking outside of a 30 minute drive away, they're a pariah.

I love Disano, he's a phenomenal writer. He's also a fan. He provides an amazing perspective for us in that sense. I just don't understand why people want to read the same exact perspective in different language.

Understand how lucky we are to have a beat reporter who is going to give us facts painted in a national context, instead of just rooting for us because we want to only read good words about the program.

The damn South County echo chamber is why Jim Baron was able to coast for 12 years and drive us into the ground. I'll take the "think big" approach, thankyouverymuch.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What I don't get is when someone says we should feel "lucky" to have a beat reporter cover our games. ITS HIS JOB TO COVER OUR GAMES. Reward exceptional behavior not what he gets paid to do. Disano didn't go to URI, yes he is a fan but his objectiveness is without question, and his insights into the actual game of basketball dwarf anyone who covers URI.

Yes national relevance is important, and with the Hurley name I would argue that we get more coverage nationally than PC over the last few years - despite them having more on court success. But winning over Rhode Islanders is still a big need, and the Projo does us little favors in that regard.

Quite simply just look at the tone and manner in which McNamara covers PC and contrast that with how Koch covers URI. Even a deaf, blind and dumb person can see a distinct difference.
6 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:Here's what I don't get re: Koch, and the vitriol for him.

I'm not sure what everyone's goals are for this basketball program, but mine has and will always be: national relevance.

There are many different paths to that goal, but along the way: winning, program investments, winning, nationally televised games against big opponents, winning those games, national press releases, consistent March basketball in the NCAAT, winning.

I swear I think most of this board only cares about being better than Providence. Like legitimately, I think there is a significant amount of posters (and elderly cow people that make up a large percentage of our fan base), who would be THRILLED if we were 1-30, while PC were 0-31. Nothing else matters in the world than being better than a middle-of-the-pack Big East team.

I think that's a shitty goal, and fool's gold. Thankfully I know others, mainly the coach and AD of our program, have higher goals.

When you get to a certain level of success, you shouldn't want "yes" men all around you providing you an echo chamber for your comfortable thoughts. You should seek out opinions based in an objective reality of the world around you, and not get stuck in the platitudes of basing every standard of this basketball program off of either itself, or basketball in South County RI.

I very much enjoy reading the objective opinion that Bill provides. He didn't go to URI, isn't a die hard URI fan, and doesn't get caught up in the peaks and valleys (Everest to Mariana's Trench on this board) that fans do.

It's wild - this board has a habit of every single loss thread going pages and pages longer than any win. Every big win is explained away as a fluke or we got lucky - but every loss means we suck and we can't go dancing and the world is ending - kinda like everyone forgot that last year happened and it's still 2012.

God forbid an "outsider" has the gall to say something *GASP* critical of the basketball program based on the perspective of the sports world at large, not based on our traditionally not-ready-for-the-bigtime program. It's totally OK for everyone on here to shit all over the program after a loss in a way that isn't correlative to our overall performance, but the second someone else offers a perspective that forcing thinking outside of a 30 minute drive away, they're a pariah.

I love Disano, he's a phenomenal writer. He's also a fan. He provides an amazing perspective for us in that sense. I just don't understand why people want to read the same exact perspective in different language.

Understand how lucky we are to have a beat reporter who is going to give us facts painted in a national context, instead of just rooting for us because we want to only read good words about the program.

The damn South County echo chamber is why Jim Baron was able to coast for 12 years and drive us into the ground. I'll take the "think big" approach, thankyouverymuch.
its pretty simple Blue.

People care because we are competing for the same people for fans. Getting more and better press and being better than PC means more butts in the seats.

Additionally most people in RI get their news from the Projo. If our own beat writer cant be bothered to care enough to write positive pieces about the team, what does that say to non die hards we are trying to win over? Why are they gonna care or start following URI if our beat writer and by extension the Projo makes it sound like following this team is a chore.

Like it or not, part of Koch's job is to be a mouth piece/cheerleader for the program and to do his best to show it in a good light. He instead chooses to be a condescending, pompous prick and harp on non stories to bash our fan base. You really cant see how that is holding back any efforts to grow the fan base??
7 x
---
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Da Process for the win! +1,000
4 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

THANK YOU BAR + DA PROCESS.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Like it or not, part of Koch's job is to be a mouth piece/cheerleader for the program and to do his best to show it in a good light. He instead chooses to be a condescending, pompous prick and harp on non stories to bash our fan base. You really cant see how that is holding back any efforts to grow the fan base??
A thousand times no, that isn't his job.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SGreenwell wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Like it or not, part of Koch's job is to be a mouth piece/cheerleader for the program and to do his best to show it in a good light. He instead chooses to be a condescending, pompous prick and harp on non stories to bash our fan base. You really cant see how that is holding back any efforts to grow the fan base??
It would be maybe...if he worked for URI, but at last check he doesn't.
Win enough of the right games (and they are on the path to that) and it really won't matter what he says/doesn't say...
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I for one think there is plenty of space between mouthpiece and condescending naysayer. Anywhere in the middle would work for me.
2 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

its pretty simple Blue.

People care because we are competing for the same people for fans. Getting more and better press and being better than PC means more butts in the seats.

Additionally most people in RI get their news from the Projo. If our own beat writer cant be bothered to care enough to write positive pieces about the team, what does that say to non die hards we are trying to win over? Why are they gonna care or start following URI if our beat writer and by extension the Projo makes it sound like following this team is a chore.

Like it or not, part of Koch's job is to be a mouth piece/cheerleader for the program and to do his best to show it in a good light. He instead chooses to be a condescending, pompous prick and harp on non stories to bash our fan base. You really cant see how that is holding back any efforts to grow the fan base??

Had a couple from RI visit my retail establishment in SE MA Saturday, and the man was wearing a PC sweatshirt. I asked if he was a big PC fan, and he replied yes, as he was from RI. I told him I was originally from Providence, but was a URI grad and a season ticket holder. He replied that he also was a URI grad, but rooted for PC because they had a better basketball program. I reminded him that we just beat them last week and have been the better team the last couple of years. The look of confusion on his face as he muttered something like "oh yeah", just hammered home the lack of respect shown to our State U, especially by one of our own grads. This is something I had heard from others on this board, but never witnessed myself. Just hammers home the PC bias at the Projo.
4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote:
it is.

i didnt mean it as be an arm of the marketing dept.

more in the sense of when things are going good, be upbeat, focus on the positives, show us in a good light. and NOT to nit pick and find reasons to be negative and harp on them.

beat writers in general should have a tone that matches how the team is doing (good for good, bad for bad) , but he manages to have a negative tone despite the success and direction of the program
0 x
---
---
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RAM67 wrote:

its pretty simple Blue.

Had a couple from RI visit my retail establishment in SE MA Saturday, and the man was wearing a PC sweatshirt. I asked if he was a big PC fan, and he replied yes, as he was from RI. I told him I was originally from Providence, but was a URI grad and a season ticket holder. He replied that he also was a URI grad, but rooted for PC because they had a better basketball program. I reminded him that we just beat them last week and have been the better team the last couple of years. The look of confusion on his face as he muttered something like "oh yeah", just hammered home the lack of respect shown to our State U, especially by one of our own grads. This is something I had heard from others on this board, but never witnessed myself. Just hammers home the PC bias at the Projo.
It doesn't make sense that a URI grad would be like that.
PC hasn't been that much better than URI at basketball historically.
Projo may have a bit to do that.

Also, the criticisms of Koch in general just seem ridiculous. The main one I keep hearing is how they don't like his tone.
Really?
I have a hard time seeing his bias against URI.
To me he seems like an objective observer who does have our best interests in mind. I think his style just rubs people the wrong way.
I have read every argument on this board of him and every single one has everything to do with the fact that he just rubs them the wrong way.

I mean when he calls out the fan base he's telling them to support this great program that Dan Hurley is building.

What is wrong with that?
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote:
RAM67 wrote:
its pretty simple Blue.

It doesn't make sense that a URI grad would be like that.
PC hasn't been that much better than URI at basketball historically.
Projo may have a bit to do that.

Also, the criticisms of Koch in general just seem ridiculous. The main one I keep hearing is how they don't like his tone.
Really?
I have a hard time seeing his bias against URI.
To me he seems like an objective observer who does have our best interests in mind. I think his style just rubs people the wrong way.
I have read every argument on this board of him and every single one has everything to do with the fact that he just rubs them the wrong way.

I mean when he calls out the fan base he's telling them to support this great program that Dan Hurley is building.

What is wrong with that?
the fact that he chooses to do it in a negative way.

he says things like 'only XXXX showed up', 'disappointing lack of support', etc.

Instead of 'very entertaining team to see in person', 'fans are missing out on a great show/great time', 'come support the Rams'

big difference in tone.
1 x
---
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And isn't tone a fairly important trait/characteristic for someone who is in the communications business? It's not like we are criticizing the tone of a dry cleaner, or mechanic, or the guy who scans your ticket at the Ryan Center. This is the person informing the general public about news, yes his tone matters, and yes it rubs some the wrong way. No one just reports the news anymore (which is a whole other issue), him included, everyone does so with a bias or a slant and his is one I personally find off putting and inappropriate at times.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

its pretty simple Blue.

Ugh. No. Oh my God no. Jesus people.

I know it sucks to hear but PC has had a better program, and more deserving press, for 16 of the last 17 years. IT'S NOT BILL KOCH'S JOB TO GROW THE FAN BASE.

The EXACT OPPOSITE of Koch's job is to be a mouth piece/cheerleader. He's a journalist. He's supposed to be unbiased. That's the whole point of having a free press. Unbiased and fair reporting so that you know you're getting an accurate story. Believe it or not I actually attended the university of Rhode Island, majored in Comm, took a good amount of journalism classes, and moonlighted as a columnist for the Cigar. AT NO POINT in any of those classes or experiences, did anyone say - "your job will be to write only positive things about whatever subject you choose."

This is the 2nd worst take I think I've read from you, with the obvious first being everything you wrote in the Jim Baron 2.0 thread that
you created. You know, because a year ago today you spearheaded the charge to go and find a new coach. Because you thought that our current coach wasn't any better than Jim Baron. Because we lost a December game. You member? Cuz I member.

Holy crap the fact that people are applauding this take is precisely why you need an unbiased beat reporter. You people honestly think that because we just beat PC for the first time in 8 years and finally went to the NCAA tournament after almost 2 decades that we are the preeminent basketball program in the state??? PC just rattled off 4 NCAA appearances in a row. They're building a damn practice facility. They are able to have a jet to charter for all their recruiting visits. They routinely host top 25 teams at the Dunk.

Until we rattle off a run like theirs or better, and they start losing every big game and don't go to the tournament for 2 decades - MAYBE we'll become "top billing" in the state since that's all you ingrates care about. Just because you do something better than someone one time doesn't make you a better program. Just because we do something we hadn't done before doesn't make us better than anyone else, it just makes us better than we were. We have a history of suck. Yes improving over that is nice, but everyone else is improving too. We're so damn far behind our own conference in the college basketball arms race that simply running at the same pace as everyone else won't get you ahead, it just won't get you any further behind. We need to be SPRINTING, but people will come on here and say "why do we need a practice facility, Al Skinner recruited out of a trailer outside of Keaney gym."

Our fans are what holds us back. Statements like this, are what hold us back. Guess what, our fan base deserves to be bashed. It is filled with small time thinkers who base every success on how it compares to PC. PROVIDENCE COLLEGE IS NOT THE PREMIERE PROGRAM IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL TO EMULATE YOURSELF AFTER AND EVERY TIME YOU ACT LIKE IT IS YOU MAKE US ALL OUT TO BE PATHETIC LITTLE BROTHERS WITH A MASSIVE INFERIORITY COMPLEX.

You are all outside of your damn mind if you think that we "deserve" top billing in everything over the team who plays on national TV damn near once a week. Their conference's TV deal alone pays them more than our entire endowment. PC sure as shit isn't a premiere program in college basketball but if you don't think they're miles ahead of us you're moronic.

We are on the right track for everything, but if we don't invest in the program, start harping for things like a practice facility to keep up - Dan will leave and this success will be an aberration and mirage in a desert of underwhelming basketball.

Bill isn't wrong for pointing those things out. You're all wrong for not wanting to hear them.
14 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue you make some good points, I for one have not once argued that we should get more billing in the PROJO, that has to be earned to your point and 1 win doesn't cut it...but Bill is blasting off to the very fans that account for the 3K at the shit hole Brown games in November. They aren't the problem. So what point does that accomplish? If he had any nuts he would take aim at the state house, at the Board of Govs, at the administration who doesn't understand marketing and at the people who underfund the school to its detriment. That is a big part of the problem that is never once been called out by Bill. Instead he takes pot shots at the people who read him, and who also happen to be the die hard fans that support this program with their wallets and with their actions.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote:Blue you make some good points, I for one have not once argued that we should get more billing in the PROJO, that has to be earned to your point and 1 win doesn't cut it...but Bill is blasting off to the very fans that account for the 3K at the shit hole Brown games in November. They aren't the problem. So what point does that accomplish? If he had any nuts he would take aim at the state house, at the Board of Govs, at the administration who doesn't understand marketing and at the people who underfund the school to its detriment. That is a big part of the problem that is never once been called out by Bill. Instead he takes pot shots at the people who read him, and who also happen to be the die hard fans that support this program with their wallets and with their actions.
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... s-momentum

:| :| :| :|
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Again, his aim is the fans. Not the state house. Not the administration.

"That means filling the Ryan Center on a regular basis, with home atmospheres like those in late-season victories over VCU and Davidson becoming the norm. Dayton set a program attendance record this season while VCU ran its sellout streak to 99 games — the Rams achieved just 67.6 percent capacity through 16 home dates. A packed house lends an on-court advantage, gives the coaching staff a chance to proudly invite and impress visiting recruits and adds extra vital dollars to the athletic department’s future plans.

Remember how this feels, URI fans. Remember the coach and the players who delivered you back to relevancy. Remember the moment when your pain was finally healed, your scarred psyche mended, your joy unleashed at last.

Most important, remember how to make it happen again. And again. And again."
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote:Again, his aim is the fans. Not the state house. Not the administration.

"That means filling the Ryan Center on a regular basis, with home atmospheres like those in late-season victories over VCU and Davidson becoming the norm. Dayton set a program attendance record this season while VCU ran its sellout streak to 99 games — the Rams achieved just 67.6 percent capacity through 16 home dates. A packed house lends an on-court advantage, gives the coaching staff a chance to proudly invite and impress visiting recruits and adds extra vital dollars to the athletic department’s future plans.

Remember how this feels, URI fans. Remember the coach and the players who delivered you back to relevancy. Remember the moment when your pain was finally healed, your scarred psyche mended, your joy unleashed at last.

Yeah ok just ignore the part where he comments that the state only provides 9% of the operating budget and has to operate like a private school.

His "aim" - lol IT'S NOT A FUCKING HIT PIECE. Christ how is everyone so god damn sensitive?

If everyone cared so much they'd either be lobbying their local congressional representative to break up the RIBGHE and give budgetary control to the university - or donating a shit ton of money to athletics to help better the cause.

I've never seen Bill Koch advocate for firing our coach.

I've never seen Bill Koch advocate to quit the season or start over.

I've never seen Bill Koch question the legitimacy of a big win.

I've never seen Bill Koch predict the team dead in the water in December.

I read that shit DAILY on this godforsaken board.

If you want to get all angry about bashing the team and program. PICK ANY GOD DAMN GAME THREAD AND GO NUTS.

How in the Christ any of you get so defensive when Bill writes something critical and TRUE of our fans or program - but can let the verbal drivel written here stand unchecked - or better yet give it a little "like" is beyond me.

Y'all need Jesus.

Fuck is it game day yet?
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Section104 wrote:I thought this was funny from Koch over the weekend. He's quick to point out poor attendance at URI games, but will never dive into some of the issues with attendance (location, timing of game, opponent). Thankfully when on the road to watch PC play at UMass he does exactly that - cites opponent, location, and timing of event as reasons fans didn't show up. Making excuses for UMass crowd that has worse showing than the ACC school down the road, but won't do the same for URI.

According to a post on the UMass forum, the attendance for their PC game last Saturday during the snow was a very "big" crowd:

The crowd Saturday (4,015) was the 4th most in the last 38 home games. Only bigger crowds in that span were 2015 vs. New Orleans which was Coach Cal night (4,273) - 2015 vs. Providence (4,411) - and 2016 home opener vs. Lowell (5,559). I'd expect this Saturday vs. Georgia to eclipse all those numbers. Likely get over 5K. Assuming decent weather/decent student turnout.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Sorry but I'm the furthest thing from sensitive, just not feeling as lucky as you are that a person that gets paid to cover URI, actually covers URI.
Since this is a reply to me I will dare you to find 1 post I have ever made wanting to jump off the ledge after a loss, I am the biggest DH fan there could be so you got the wrong guy. I have been close to this program for 30 years, the 4k die hards are not the issue, yet that is who he directs most of his criticism. WOW a year ago he wrote 1 paragraph lightly insinuating that some of the onus is on the state and the school. YIPPEEE that's real pulitzer prize winning cutting journalism right there. He weekly takes shots at the core fan base...weekly.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:the fact that he chooses to do it in a negative way.

he says things like 'only XXXX showed up', 'disappointing lack of support', etc.

Instead of 'very entertaining team to see in person', 'fans are missing out on a great show/great time', 'come support the Rams'

big difference in tone.
That big difference in tone is quite literally the difference between journalism and marketing/public relations. What you want him to do might literally be the biggest issue in this country today. People don't look for news, people look for public relations pieces that match their viewpoint and claim that marketing is news.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Again, his aim is the fans. Not the state house. Not the administration.

How in the Christ any of you get so defensive when Bill writes something critical and TRUE of our fans or program - but can let the verbal drivel written here stand unchecked - or better yet give it a little "like" is beyond me.
I agree with most of what you've said Blue Man but c'mon, this is a message board made up of URI fans, we're not college basketball journalists. Fans question coaches/players after losses all the time, happens with every team in college basketball.

People get annoyed with Bill's shots at attendance because he's beating a dead horse. Pretty much everyone on here knows attendance is an issue, I'm sure even the average casual fan can figure out that attendance isn't great, we don't need Koch to spell it out for us every week. Also if Koch wants to constantly knock us for attendance maybe he should do some research and try to figure out a realistic number we should expect for attendance. Fact is we've made one NCAA tournament in the past 18 years, we're not located in a city and we don't play in a major conference (I'd also argue pro sports are bigger in this area than college but I'm not sure that's a fact). When you take those aspects into account I'm sure we're doing better than a lot of other teams who faced similar circumstances.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm with BAR and DP on this Koch and Projo issue.
I'm tired of that writer preaching down to our fanbase,
as if all that's wrong in Kingston is our fault.
Anyone condoning this crap is blinded by a like for Koch,
or a dislike for our fanbase.
So, we're supposed to kiss his ass, because he does his job,
covering URI basketball?
He's Art Turgeon redux.
For those who don't remember, he was a Projo guy who loved to take digs at
URI, while covering basketbaLL and football.
He was once thrown out of the football locker room by the players.
He wrote a story for SI on Sly Williams, and said he was like Cheech and Chong's Tyrone Shoelaces
character, when he spoke.
Imaging that kind of racist garbage in today's atmosphere?
What about Jim Donaldson's annual name calling swill?
As for Projo, this is a battle I fought on radio and in editorials
for decades.
The answer was always, "When URI is good, then they'll get
equal coverage".
We know that's clearly not the case.
The URI win over PC was in the lower right corner of the
online sports page.
Some things never change.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:the fact that he chooses to do it in a negative way.

big difference in tone.
That big difference in tone is quite literally the difference between journalism and marketing/public relations. What you want him to do might literally be the biggest issue in this country today. People don't look for news, people look for public relations pieces that match their viewpoint and claim that marketing is news.
Agree with your take on the state of news and the impact that is having on information consumption, but would you agree that (1) sports, travel, food and pop culture reporting probably poses less of a threat in this area than reporting on more policy-focused and "hard news" reporting, (2) most reporting in the domain of college sports across the country is done with at least some measure of pro-team bias and therefore not having that puts URI at some sort of disadvantage in cultivating support, and (3) that the difference between the two types of examples DPS gave is not the difference between journalism and marketing/PR, but rather the difference between good publicity and bad publicity?

I continue to say, I do not want nor expect Bill Koch to use his platform to cheerlead for URI, but I would appreciate it he did not use that platform to troll and undermine. Why is it OK to go onto twitter and goad the fan base about attendance but it wouldn't be OK to encourage the fan base to show up? Assuming you see a difference, what is the difference in your view?
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote:Since this is a frequent complaint around these parts, I thought I'd post a link to the Projo's executive editor's column from yesterday:

Also to note, if the coverage has always been fair and balanced, and simply a reflection of what the reader wants versus some implied bias...why the need for an editorial about it from the executive editor? If there never was or has been a bias, why the need to address it? Hmmm
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It's tough to even respond to a lot of this.

I'm just going to point out that "projo fairness" is the title of a thread on this board, and people are openly weeping about the perceived slights taken at the expense of our fanbase, while simultaneously struggling to decide if we're as bad a program as all our game loss threads say we are - but not as bad as koch suggests our attendance is - but better than PC - but we can't win big games according to the board - but we're the best program around since we beat PC once - except after a loss when we all pile on and say we suck.

Christ, this is soft. Would be willing to bet those PC fans you all aspire to be didn't whine about the fairness in their coverage when they were coming off the Keno Davis years.

This thread is enough of a reason to show why we're the perceived "second class citizens" when it comes to basketball in this state. The fanbase is charmin triple ply quilted ultra soft.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Cut the shit Blue Man, and go back and re-read
some of your commentary from last year, before
the March surge.
I don't know anyone,"openly weeping" about any of this.
The f-bombs and lashing out at us, is only by YOU,
who also is the only person defending Koch and Projo.
7 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:It's tough to even respond to a lot of this.

I'm just going to point out that "projo fairness" is the title of a thread on this board, and people are openly weeping about the perceived slights taken at the expense of our fanbase, while simultaneously struggling to decide if we're as bad a program as all our game loss threads say we are - but not as bad as koch suggests our attendance is - but better than PC - but we can't win big games according to the board - but we're the best program around since we beat PC once - except after a loss when we all pile on and say we suck.

Christ, this is soft. Would be willing to bet those PC fans you all aspire to be didn't whine about the fairness in their coverage when they were coming off the Keno Davis years.

This thread is enough of a reason to show why we're the perceived "second class citizens" when it comes to basketball in this state. The fanbase is charmin triple ply quilted ultra soft.
first of all, slow your roll. NO one in here is weeping or crying. The complaints in this thread are valid criticism of how our team is covered by the hometown paper.

secondly, grow the hell up. You're gonna come in throwing a tantrum like a fucking brat just because someone dare speak negatively about Koch? Fuck off. Sorry, not everyone is chugging the kool aid like its going out of style.

guess what, Koch is not good. period. at best he is vanilla and his reporting has the depth of a kiddie pool. at worst he is a self centered, condescending prick that thinks he's better than us lowly fans.

either way, people are allowed to not like something associated with the program. doesn't make them any less of a fan than you simply because they arent waving the poms poms no matter what happens. actually we want the program to grow just as much as you do, and we recognize that factors such as this are a DETRIMENT to that.

It's pretty damn sad when national writers like Katz and Bilas write about URI in a much more positive and glowing manner than our own beat writer does.
5 x
---
---
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

going under soon most likely.

don't care anymore. don't read it or listen to sinclair news.

carry on.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......some random thoughts here......don’t really care what Koch writes, the Phamlet is dropped daily in my drive way......the paper is the Providence Journal not the Rhode Island Journal, most of their news coverage is Providence based(lots to cover)they gave up the local/regional coverage years ago.......whatever hard copy circulation is left is no doubt upstate......the Journal and then Evening Bulletin feel in love with PC years and years ago as PC hoops went “national” via their NIT appearances......I would suggest that legacy exists.......is Koch a sports reporter of the game facts or wanna be opine writer?.....maybe the local South County weeklies is where the cheerleader Pom Pom wavers come into play?.....the PC hoops program is what it is......the URI hoops program program is what it is......the rivalry great stuff......as Bunky says, come January each program goes on its journey to March.....the Journal coverage has always been what it is......and probably not gonna change anytime soon, if ever......no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote:......some random thoughts here......don’t really care what Koch writes, the Phamlet is dropped daily in my drive way......the paper is the Providence Journal not the Rhode Island Journal, most of their news coverage is Providence based(lots to cover)they gave up the local/regional coverage years ago.......whatever hard copy circulation is left is no doubt upstate......the Journal and then Evening Bulletin feel in love with PC years and years ago as PC hoops went “national” via their NIT appearances......I would suggest that legacy exists.......is Koch a sports reporter of the game facts or wanna be opine writer?.....maybe the local South County weeklies is where the cheerleader Pom Pom wavers come into play?.....the PC hoops program is what it is......the URI hoops program program is what it is......the rivalry great stuff......as Bunky says, come January each program goes on its journey to March.....the Journal coverage has always been what it is......and probably not gonna change anytime soon, if ever......no?
Oh forgot, the is no state wide competing paper.....the city state of Rhode Island just goes on and on......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote:......some random thoughts here......don’t really care what Koch writes, the Phamlet is dropped daily in my drive way......the paper is the Providence Journal not the Rhode Island Journal, most of their news coverage is Providence based(lots to cover)they gave up the local/regional coverage years ago.......whatever hard copy circulation is left is no doubt upstate......the Journal and then Evening Bulletin feel in love with PC years and years ago as PC hoops went “national” via their NIT appearances......I would suggest that legacy exists.......is Koch a sports reporter of the game facts or wanna be opine writer?.....maybe the local South County weeklies is where the cheerleader Pom Pom wavers come into play?.....the PC hoops program is what it is......the URI hoops program program is what it is......the rivalry great stuff......as Bunky says, come January each program goes on its journey to March.....the Journal coverage has always been what it is......and probably not gonna change anytime soon, if ever......no?
Wilkens, Ernst, Thompson, Egan, Flynn, etc., became the darlings of the RI citizens, the RI government and the RI media almost 60 years ago and PC has been ever since. No, it's not going to change.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Don’t get the Kock shade but feel it’s the vocal minority on that end. I’ll never agree 100% with a reporter but we won’t ever get anybody covering this team or program harder than Bill. Before Bill, our coverage at the Journal was awful, who remembers that? With Bill, this is the closest to equal coverage we have ever gotten.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PK was much better.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

CT Rhody wrote:Don’t get the Kock shade but feel it’s the vocal minority on that end. I’ll never agree 100% with a reporter but we won’t ever get anybody covering this team or program harder than Bill. Before Bill, our coverage at the Journal was awful, who remembers that? With Bill, this is the closest to equal coverage we have ever gotten.
I remember it. We had Kenyon and he was great. Fought for coverage and was a very good writer. Too bad he retired
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
3 x
---
---
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

CT Rhody wrote:Don’t get the Kock shade but feel it’s the vocal minority on that end. I’ll never agree 100% with a reporter but we won’t ever get anybody covering this team or program harder than Bill. Before Bill, our coverage at the Journal was awful, who remembers that? With Bill, this is the closest to equal coverage we have ever gotten.
......just asking cause I do not know.......do we get national stringers(AP or others?)of some away games to often, rather than the Journal sending Koch?.....scarce resources.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It’s ok to complain about Koch. It’s ok to complain when your team loses.

Shouldn’t feel lucky that a person covers your sports team.

Probably should feel lucky to have Hurley and the roster/coaches he has assembled.

It’s ok to complain about the rams strategy. This isn’t a cult.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The thing that gets me is the Projo is running a sweepstakes in conjunction with the friars to win 36 pairs of tickets to an upcoming game.....I saw it in the paper today......it is a joint venture it appears where the newspaper is linked to a team they should be covering without bias.....you enter on-line at the projo site to win the tickets.....

...are they going to do a similar promotion with the State University????...I ain't holding my breath.....
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The ad is the lower quarter page on C10 in the December11, 2017 projo......

...I am too technically challenged to get the ad pasted into this thread.....many some computer savvy person can do it.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That is likely a "value add" to a large print/digital ad buy by the Friars with Projo. Not sure if we have the same type of spend with Projo to warrant something similar. I would assume not.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Blue Man wrote:I swear I think most of this board only cares about being better than Providence. Like legitimately, I think there is a significant amount of posters (and elderly cow people that make up a large percentage of our fan base), who would be THRILLED if we were 1-30, while PC were 0-31. Nothing else matters in the world than being better than a middle-of-the-pack Big East team.
You're goddamned right we'd be thrilled. Back in the 1980s, Al McGuire wrote (or at least his byline appeared atop) a piece in Inside Sports magazine in which he outlined what it takes to be a dynasty school. At the top of the list? You must be THE program in your state. That's why beating that hideous, disgusting institution on the site of a former mental hospital is so important.

The Providence College Journal has been shitting on URI for as long as I've been paying attention (back to the mid-70s). That Rosenberg thing 74 linked to was a bunch of mealy-mouthed, superficial, platitudinous vacuity.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PatheticFriars
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PatheticFriars »

Speaking specifically to Koch, part of the issue with him is how he is willing to interact with other users on Twitter. He is so willing to eat the trash and engage with fools, and even when he's interacting with regular fans, is consistently condescending and demeaning. McNamara is no saint in his coverage of URI, but he doesn't devolve into an unprofessional hack on Twitter.

The curious thing to me is that the Sports Editor Bill Corey is a URI grad and taught here too. I'm not really sure why that hasn't helped in getting URI better coverage. In the past I know folks have asked him for explanations about URI/PC coverage and he's been willing to explain his/the ProJo's reasoning - if you're being reasonable that is.
1 x
"The Bible never says anything about dinosaurs" - Jurassic Carl
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I refuse to let a vocal minority of this fan base, that can not be pleased no matter what happens, speak for this fan base.

Point 1) Rod. I did go back. My whole "i am an idiot" thread post Fordham. Pretty much what I said ALL YEAR.

"HOWEVAH (stephen a smith voice) - this team is so mind numbingly and frustratingly inconsistent, that they could just show up in Pittsburgh, roll out the balls, and win 3 or 4 games and dance. Legitimate weaponized inconsistency. Somehow, someway...the team that took a cleveland steamer on my alma mater's logo last night beat Cincinnati and is a total of 4 made shots away from being 20-5 with a polished NCAA resume.

Granted, that's the unfortunate reality of being a URI fan post-Y2K. We just always find ourselves on the wrong side of every single bounce in every single big game that we need to win to dance. Some would call that a correlation, or a curse, but I'm just going to continue being dumb and hoping that maybe that means that we're due for some bounces our way.

So put me still in the camp that this team can find their nutsacks and figure out how to catch fire in Pittsburgh. "

Yup really sounds like a guy who lost faith in the team. Real woe is me stuff right there.

2) DPS.

I have zero urge to grow up, but it's a wild thing to hear in a thread of people complaining that a reporter isn't being overly flowery in how he writes about our program.

Your criticisms aren't even CLOSE to valid. You're talking to me about waving pom poms? YOU JUST SAID THAT A BEAT REPORTERS JOB IS TO BE A CHEERLEADER. Holy Christ that's soft. So I'm a pom-pom waving fan and child because I can handle hearing objective opinions that aren't always rosy and positive, but you're the mature and adult fan because all beat reporters should be putting a positive spin on everything. Good God I hope you're writing that from a safe space.

I have less a problem with you speaking ill of Koch than I do with how you'd like to see the press of this program handled. Not sure what Kool aid I'm chugging in this situation, but the color is and always has been Keaney Blue. It doesn't help the program in the least if everyone is just told how great everything is, when it isn't. This fan base will only compare this program to itself (which is historically crap) or PC (which kept getting better for the decade plus while we did nothing). Since neither of those approaches help further this program, I'm not going to be supporting them. That flowery bullshit Kenyon wrote is EXACTLY why Jim Baron got to stay in Kingston for 12 years and kill this program dead. 20 win seasons, the propaganda machine... I'd rather the perspective get kept on everything with this program so that what we are presently doing, is good relative to college basketball as a whole, not just college basketball in RI.

An example would be when people whined about doing another locker room renovation this offseason when we just had it done 2 years before. Now that we did it, we finally got a film room like EVERY OTHER COLLEGE THAT IS SUCCESSFUL IN THE COUNTRY. But everyone acts like that's a big deal that our interview room doubles as a media room so that we're barely on the same level as everyone else. Then everyone will say that we're good and we don't need anything else, while every other program continues to add and make more investments.

There was a segment of fans that didn't think the Ryan Center needed any improvements a few years ago because it was "state-of-the-art" in 2002. So yeah - I want our beat reporter to continually remind this fan base that just because we've come further than we were, doesn't mean we've come far at all. Maybe not even for the few on this board that can never be happy, but for the cow farmers in Kingston who's only source of news is the Projo. They need to know that just because things are impressive for their standards, they don't mean shit in the world at large.

Also, as for what you see as a DETRIMENT to our program? You're the motherfucker who literally started and enabled a thread entitled "Baron 2.0" a year ago. You called for a coaching change. In December. You equated Dan Hurley to Jim Baron. You broadcast that out for public consumption. You let the internet know that there are idiots in this fanbase that somehow believed Jim Baron and Dan Hurley were on equal footing. Forgive me if I think your opinions on what is good for this basketball program aren't worth shit.
8 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Blue Man wrote:It's tough to even respond to a lot of this.
HEAR HEAR!

I am over here laughing my balls off at your posts on this thread. I can't even post on here most of the time for the exact reasons you've detailed above.

From the homer spin, to the vitriol for our own capitol city, and the generally short-sighted view of how things in this state seem to be developing right now... it's easy to see how this team went through such an extended slump. The average fan has their head 3 feet up their own ass.
4 x