Attendance- Perspective

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Attendance- Perspective

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
If the ticket is sold it's counted towards attendance whether you go or not
Just from a marketing perspective, we SHOULD do it this way, but I am almost positive that we don't. I have a family member that worked in the arena business for 30 years, and he is convinced that URI actually under-reports attendance, whereas most teams treat attendance like heights: it's almost all slightly exaggerated or rounded up. When we go to other sporting events, my family member can usually look around the arena and guess the attendance to a pretty high degree of accuracy - at the Ryan he is almost always on the high side.
Well you've convinced me and I'm sure everyone else on the board with that nugget. Way to bring it strong, TP! Hey everyone, TP's 2nd cousin on his mother's side worked in the arena business (changing light bulbs?) and he can play the family's "Guess the Attendance" game in any arena they go to except the Ryan Center.

Well done.

For what it is worth.................

February 9, 2013, Saturday Night 7:00pm
We lost to St Bonaventure at home 67-61
Attendance was announced as 1933 for the Ryan Center

I was at the game and trust me, there were no more than 200 people at this game, probably more like 100. In no way, shape or form was the actual body count in the Ryan Center 1,933.

Bonaventure arrived in Rhode Island early Thursday morning directly from Indianapolis following its game against Butler, and Friday night the power at the team hotel went out due to Winter Storm Nemo. The hotel generators broke, leaving the Bonnies without electricity, heat, hot water and hot food for nearly 20 hours before they left for the game around 4:30 Saturday afternoon.
The game was originally scheduled for 2 p.m., but was moved to a 7 p.m. start early in the day Friday to allow the storm to calm down and transportation crews more time to clear the roads. Rhode Island officials declared a state of emergency as many in the Ocean State were without power following high winds and snow ranging from 2-3 feet. Rhode Island's Ryan Center was the only building on campus with power, and that came from a generator.

http://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-baskb ... 02091i9pem
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... w=boxscore
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

February 9, not November
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:February 9, not November
Fixed, thanks. :oops:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I posted this in another thread but thought it also had relevance here.

I researched the attendance averages ytd thus far for A-10 members and listed below. URI actually is not doing all that bad when compared to many of the others. The ranking of teams and numbers for this season are not all that much different from the totals for last year. Rhody is currently 4th in the league and has typically ranked around number five for attendance in most recent years (LY included below).

A-10 HOME ATTENDANCE 2017-18 YTD
TEAM | TOTAL | GMS | AVG
DAYT | 65,675 | 5 | 13,135
VCU | 45,822 | 6 | 7,637
RICH | 32,346 | 5 | 6,469
URI | 23,120 | 4 | 5,780
SLU | 39,980 | 7 | 5,711
DAV | 22,195 | 4 | 5,549
SJU | 12,104 | 3 | 4,035
SBU | 15,765 | 4 | 3,941
GMU | 22,126 | 6 | 3,688
UMASS | 14,421 | 5 | 2,884
GW | 12,607 | 5 | 2,521
LAS | 8,616 | 4 | 2,154
FOR | 10,022 | 7 | 1,432
DUQ | 10,605 | 8 | 1,326

ATLANTIC-10 2016-17 HOME ATTENDANCE
ATTENDANCE | Games | Total | Avg
Dayton | 16 | 208,291 | 13,018
VCU | 16 | 122,192 | 7,637
Richmond | 17 | 107,389 | 6,317
Saint Louis | 18 | 100,675 | 5,593
Rhode Island | 16 | 82,761 | 5,173
St. Bonaventure | 15 | 64,114 | 4,274
George Mason | 17 | 71,990 | 4,235
Davidson | 13 | 55,007 | 4,231
Saint Joseph's | 14 | 58,501 | 4,179
Massachusetts | 18 | 59,338 | 3,297
George Washington | 18 | 56,706 | 3,150
La Salle | 16 | 36,532 | 2,283
Fordham | 17 | 28,161 | 1,657
Duquesne | 18 | 21,915 | 1,218
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

You've got to give Dayton and Richmond fans credit. In down years (especially Richmond) they maintain attendance.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The averages for the five higher profile New England teams for this season are below:

NEW ENGLAND D1 MEN'S BASKETBALL ATTENDANCE 2017-18 YTD
TEAM | ATTENDANCE | GMS | AVG
Prov | 42819 | 6 | 7136
URI | 23120 | 4 | 5780
UConn | 32329 | 6 | 5388
BC | 26628 | 6 | 4438
UMass | 14421 | 5 | 2884

It is worth noting that BC does not even track season attendance on its web site and it is my belief this is intentional. I had to calculate their number from the actual individual game box scores. Their average is very much helped by a sellout of 8,606 for the Duke game. Four of their six games drew in the 3,000 range.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeterRamTime wrote:True point and PlayMikeMotenMore were meant for each other.

A match made in Keaney hea.....hell
Honestly, I love True Point. Deep down, he loves me too. He really does.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

So, why should Mike Moten get more minutes?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Further perspective, last night’s game drew over 5,700 fans without students on campus, game last year on the 18th or December without students drew according to Wikipedia, little over 3,500 fans.

I know the that game being part of the mini plan helped so maybe Thursday’s night game against Iona might be a better apples to apples comparison.

Make another NCAA apperence, keep Dan through another offseason, add more revenue to the program with that new NCAA money, have another double digit season ticket holder increase, this is how we build this program. Brick by brick and I have the feeling Dan knows patience is paramount here. As more students get used to these games becoming events, tickets will only become harder to come by which is what we want.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought most of the students were still on campus? Somebody said finals go until Wednesday.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just looked it up. Finals end on the 21st, which is Thursday. So yes, Iona will be a better comparison. That's why the student seats are being sold for 10 dollars starting with that game and until the students get back from break. I would expect the Iona game to draw between 3500 and 4000 fans.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:I thought most of the students were still on campus? Somebody said finals go until Wednesday.
The majority of students leave this weekend for break.

Finals officially go into next week but in reality very few finals happen next week. Most of them done in class instead or have a paper instead of finals in the 2nd week
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I thought most of the students were still on campus? Somebody said finals go until Wednesday.
The majority of students leave this weekend for break.

Finals officially go into next week but in reality very few finals happen next week. Most of them done in class instead or have a paper instead of finals in the 2nd week
This sounds about right, the student section wasn’t anywhere close to where it would of been with students on campus for yesterday’s game.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The next six games will tell how well the fan base has been built this year, since the Iona, FGCU, George Mason, La Salle, St Bonaventure and UMass games will be played during the intersession minus large student support.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The fact that there was a full set of cheerleaders, ramettes and band members tells me there were still a lot of kids here. Watch on Thursday. There might be 6 cheerleaders and 3 ramettes and we might here a drum solo, or more likely, the SK high school band.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:The fact that there was a full set of cheerleaders, ramettes and band members tells me there were still a lot of kids here. Watch on Thursday. There might be 6 cheerleaders and 3 ramettes and we might here a drum solo, or more likely, the SK high school band.
They have to stay for games before break. That's not a student radar at all
0 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obadiah wrote:The next six games will tell how well the fan base has been built this year, since the Iona, FGCU, George Mason, La Salle, St Bonaventure and UMass games will be played during the intersession minus large student support.
I think this is a fine way to look at it, but we should also keep in mind that there will be about a 1,000 person drop off due to students being home regardless. The apples-to-apples comparison will be with similar games played during the semester break in previous years.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....maybe this belongs in marketing.....during the semester break.....have local high schools apply, audition? To fill in for the band, cheerleaders etc.....show case the local high school talent....like North Kingstown Night.....fannies in the seats.....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, that you missed my point Truepoint. The only valid comparison is intersession games to intersession games of other seasons and that was the implication I made. I said nothing about a comparison to games when school is in session such as the season openers.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Working with the Ryan attendance data base, I was able to cull this summary showing how well each A-10 team has drawn in the history of the Ryan Center through the2016-17 season. Given that each season is different and varies with URI expectations, strength of the rival's program and time game is played, it hard to make firm conclusions, but here are some thoughts:

• Despite the limited sample for VCU, Davidson and George Mason, it is clear that VCU and Davidson draw well and that Mason needs to do more to establish an identity with Ram fans.

• Ex short timer George Mason, La Salle is clearly the worst draw at Ryan over the years.

• The St. Bonaventure data is significantly impacted by the one big snowstorm and excluding that game atendance puts the Bonnies average around that of Fordham.

• No surprise that UMass is the best draw over time, but so is George Washington which begs the question why we don't play them twice a year rather than La Salle. Also a good draw is St. Joseph's.

Ranking Conference Schools By Average Ryan Attendance
School    
Total Attendance	
No. of Games 
Average Attendance

1.  Davidson	        13,313	  2	6,657
	2.  VCU	                19,448	  3	6,496
	3.  UMass	        94,135   15	6,276
	4.  George Washington	56,225	  9	6,247
	5.  Dayton	        57,452	  10	5,745
	6.  Saint Joseph's	62,850	  11	5,714
	7.  Richmond	        35,197	  7	5,028
	8.  Fordham	        63,034	  13	4,849
	9.  Duquesne	        32,678	  7	4,668
	10. Saint Louis	        32,268	  7	4,610
	11. St. Bonaventure	44,860	  10	4,486
	12. La Salle	        39,982	  9	4,442
	13. George Mason	 8,761	  2	4,380
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Interesting
I would've picked Umass at the top and GW further down.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah - i didn't miss your point. I am agreeing with you, but did want to explicitly say what I thought you were implying.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get me over 4500 for Iona and we will take it ???
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote:Get me over 4500 for Iona and we will take it ???
Hope do. It should be entertaining since the Gales aren't known to emphasize defense.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

section(105) wrote:.....maybe this belongs in marketing.....during the semester break.....have local high schools apply, audition? To fill in for the band, cheerleaders etc.....show case the local high school talent....like North Kingstown Night.....fannies in the seats.....no?
They do that every year
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

In my opinion, getting rid of York as the announcer during the games would be one more step in the right direction to creating a better environment/in-game experience at the Ryan Center. If the program and fans wants attendance to improve, every little bit helps. Never thought I'd miss an announcer like Mike Mancuso so much in my life. :roll:
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

The pride of Houston, TX...Mike Moten! A bruiser and banger with a soft touch around the basket. He's URI's Rick Mahorn!
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
The pride of Houston, TX...Mike Moten! A bruiser and banger with a soft touch around the basket. He's URI's Rick Mahorn!
He's a great story...
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayar ... 406115.php
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice article. Moten was a frosh when I was a senior. He sat next to me in an elective class can't recall which class
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yeah, it's nice to read about guys who used basketball to success even when they're not NBA material.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The Dude wrote:In my opinion, getting rid of York as the announcer during the games would be one more step in the right direction to creating a better environment/in-game experience at the Ryan Center. If the program and fans wants attendance to improve, every little bit helps. Never thought I'd miss an announcer like Mike Mancuso so much in my life. :roll:
I really don't get your hatred for Dan Yorke.

Honestly because our fans are so geriatric, he's the one who has to provide the que to the old people when a huge shot gets made so they get on their feet. He does a great job of that.

Personally I love him, but I don't think an announcer can ever affect the game experience negatively unless he's completely emotionless.

In the pantheon of "why people go/don't go to games" - announcer can't possibly be higher than #3478912367 on the list.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I find Yorke kind of cheesy .... at his most overly dramatic, he makes me wince. And I'm part of the geriatric crowd. I don't need an announcer to let me know turning points in a game.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

our attendance > PC's attendance this weekend. Not bad.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I missed the Projo's attendance commentary this weekend. How did each program fare under their ever critical eye?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I missed the Projo's attendance commentary this weekend. How did each program fare under their ever critical eye?
I think people are cheating that program not selling that building out every night (4 NCAA Tournaments in 4 years)...It’s a shame the only sellout in the OOC is when the Rams come to town. Those kids and coaches deserve it.
9 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:I missed the Projo's attendance commentary this weekend. How did each program fare under their ever critical eye?
Koch covered the game for them.

2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx Ace for fishing that out of Bill's timeline for me (us).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Section104 wrote:our attendance > PC's attendance this weekend. Not bad.

URI drew slightly more (5,761) on Saturday for its game with Charleston than PC did (5,742) on Sunday versus Stony Brook.

URI season to date average (5 games) 5,776
PC season to date average (7 games) 6,937
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

To be fair, if we were against the Pats Steelers game, we wouldn't have drawn well either.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote:

NO WAY IS THIS TRUE! FAKE NEWS! BILL LOVES THE FRIARS! HE ISN'T UNBIASED OR COMPLETELY CONSISTENT IN HIS CRITICISMS OF BASKETBALL TEAMS! HE DOESN'T PROVIDE OBJECTIVE COVERAGE! HE NEEDS TO BE A CHEERLEADER! HE FAVORITES PC! HE WOULD NEVER SPEAK ILL OF THEM! HE ONLY SPEAKS ILL OF URI BECAUSE HE HATES US!

Did I do that right guys?
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:
ace wrote:

NO WAY IS THIS TRUE! FAKE NEWS! BILL LOVES THE FRIARS! HE ISN'T UNBIASED OR COMPLETELY CONSISTENT IN HIS CRITICISMS OF BASKETBALL TEAMS! HE DOESN'T PROVIDE OBJECTIVE COVERAGE! HE NEEDS TO BE A CHEERLEADER! HE FAVORITES PC! HE WOULD NEVER SPEAK ILL OF THEM! HE ONLY SPEAKS ILL OF URI BECAUSE HE HATES US!

you stopped fondling his balls long enough to type all that?
0 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OK, boys. Settle down please.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote:
ace wrote:

I'm impressed you actually had the reading comprehension level to figure out who that was directed at. You might not know dick about basketball, or how it's covered, but you can read between the lines on the internet! Yay!
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
He's a great story...
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayar ... 406115.php
Interesting!
Sounds like a swell fellow.

They also said Rhode Island University in that article....
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Blue Man wrote:
The Dude wrote:In my opinion, getting rid of York as the announcer during the games would be one more step in the right direction to creating a better environment/in-game experience at the Ryan Center. If the program and fans wants attendance to improve, every little bit helps. Never thought I'd miss an announcer like Mike Mancuso so much in my life. :roll:
I really don't get your hatred for Dan Yorke.

Honestly because our fans are so geriatric, he's the one who has to provide the que to the old people when a huge shot gets made so they get on their feet. He does a great job of that.

Personally I love him, but I don't think an announcer can ever affect the game experience negatively unless he's completely emotionless.

In the pantheon of "why people go/don't go to games" - announcer can't possibly be higher than #3478912367 on the list.
He's a complete condescending asshole outside his announcing gig. That's reason enough for me to want him gone.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote:
ace wrote:

If you're still carrying all your issues and anger like this...are you really a "Survivor"?
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Did PC schedule on a Sunday close to Pats Steelers because of TV ??

If not they should have started the game earlier
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Did PC schedule on a Sunday close to Pats Steelers because of TV ??

If not they should have started the game earlier

Game was at 2pm and was over before the Pats-Steeler kickoff. It was on FS1. Given many PC fans live somewhat close to the DDC, most would have missed just the frst qtr at worst.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Texas only wins by 1 say it ain't so Shaka
0 x