12/16 | Charleston Cougars | 4:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Re: 12/16 | Charleston Cougars | 4:00PM

Unread post by DanInAZ »

WTH? I have watched plenty of live streams from the A-10 and somehow today this pops up on my screen?

FLASH IS NOT SUPPORTED ON THIS BROWSER. TO VIEW PREMIUM CONTENT, PLEASE EITHER ENABLE FLASH OR DOWNLOAD THE OFFICIAL APPS OF ATLANTIC 10.

Fan-tastic
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

This is no cupcake
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

DanInAZ wrote:WTH? I have watched plenty of live streams from the A-10 and somehow today this pops up on my screen?

FLASH IS NOT SUPPORTED ON THIS BROWSER. TO VIEW PREMIUM CONTENT, PLEASE EITHER ENABLE FLASH OR DOWNLOAD THE OFFICIAL APPS OF ATLANTIC 10.

Fan-tastic
if you are using chrome you have to whitelist the domain in the chrome settings. Just google how to enable flash in chrome
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Understood but why haven't I received this message previously? I have watched from Chrome all the time and never had this happen. And nothing has been changed.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

... lots of underdogs doing well against favorites on the road today.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Langevine gettin things going a little here, thats a welcome sight.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

iPhone with lightning cable perfect as always
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

As usual it was the defense that got us going again, keep that up for the 2nd half and we'll be fine.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

hrstrat57 wrote:iPhone with lightning cable perfect as always
How? Lightning to HDMI converted to TV?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Finally was able to get on....the stream is terrible.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Tied!! That looked just in side the 3 to me, but I'll take it! JT!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Clutch free throw shooting by Langevine
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Cyril rebounding, blocking shots, hitting free throws. Difference maker.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

CYRIL!!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

sloppy win, but a win nonetheless.

Thank you Cyril for saving us. If he has his energy and athleticism back he'll find himself in the starting lineup moving forward.

Onto the next one!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A win is a win is a win is a win is a win is a win
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Section104 wrote:sloppy win, but a win nonetheless.

Thank you Cyril for saving us. If he has his energy and athleticism back he'll find himself in the starting lineup moving forward.

Onto the next one!
I'm thinking it was his free throws....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just back and this was a tough game. Our offense was still not connecting but we were able to hang on to win. The place was like a church for most of the game which was disturbing since it was a pretty good crowd. NIce meeting 208 and his lovely wife. Good win. This was not a cupcake, this was a pretty good team we played tonight.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm just happy we pulled out the win.Cyril was tremendous and hope that's a preview of what he's going to be like moving ahead, which would be a huge boost for us. And Jared was money when it counted.

I know some of you may be disappointed this wasn't a blowout, but this was a game that historically we've lost. So I give the team and Coach Hurley credit for toughing it out.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Just back and this was a tough game. Our offense was still not connecting but we were able to hang on to win. The place was like a church for most of the game which was disturbing since it was a pretty good crowd. NIce meeting 208 and his lovely wife. Good win. This was not a cupcake, this was a pretty good team we played tonight.
Likewise! Always nice to meet other board-ers and family.

Could this have been one of the top 1-2 teams they play the rest of the year>
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Just back and this was a tough game. Our offense was still not connecting but we were able to hang on to win. The place was like a church for most of the game which was disturbing since it was a pretty good crowd. NIce meeting 208 and his lovely wife. Good win. This was not a cupcake, this was a pretty good team we played tonight.
Likewise! Always nice to meet other board-ers and family.

Could this have been one of the top 1-2 teams they play the rest of the year>
It's up there I think. FGCU, the Bonnies, VCU and Dayton are going to be tough as well. I can say this,we are going to get every teams best game going forward. They all want a scalp.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great minds think alike. :mrgreen:

"That’s probably a game two years ago, three years ago, that we would have lost quite frankly."

- Coach Hurley
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree...would've been another turnover or two, definitely some more FT misses, and possibly a three from the left corner in front of the pep band thrown in for good measure. I still don't get why they showed (online) no seats available in our section when it wasn't close to full....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Survive and move on. Much tougher than hoped for. Long off period from last game likely did not help. Did what was needed and got a win. Had to gut it out. Not looking forward to playing this Cougars team on their home court next year with a young Rhody squad.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Decent sized crowd of 5,761 today. Season average through five games is 5,776. It was 4,916 through five games last year (no PC sellout). Currently running 17% ahead of 2016-17 pace.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Cyril will get the headlines and rightfully so, but don’t under estimate the impact Akele had in his little time in the game. 5 rebounds in seven minutes and a huge bucket along with some lose ball pickups etc. Looks like his confidence is back.
9 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

That was a good team we played tonight. Don't forget they were missing their best player. We can't get snobby and think we are better than all these "Mid-Major" teams. Langevin was clearly the hero. He played great down the stretch. Really need Terrell to assert himself throughout the game just not in certain spots. He was key in the second half but need him throughout the game.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

UCH21377 wrote:That was a good team we played tonight. Don't forget they were missing their best player. We can't get snobby and think we are better than all these "Mid-Major" teams. Langevin was clearly the hero. He played great down the stretch. Really need Terrell to assert himself throughout the game just not in certain spots. He was key in the second half but need him throughout the game.
yawn. they made it tougher on themselves than they needed to.....next
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:That was a good team we played tonight. Don't forget they were missing their best player. We can't get snobby and think we are better than all these "Mid-Major" teams. Langevin was clearly the hero. He played great down the stretch. Really need Terrell to assert himself throughout the game just not in certain spots. He was key in the second half but need him throughout the game.
yawn. they made it tougher on themselves than they needed to.....next
That's what Wichita State, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Florida State, and Florida fans said.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

that was a nice win. glad Charlestown gave us a run. it always builds confidence to win these close games at the end. I don't think we played all that bad. didn't shoot real well, but had a number of shots go in and out. just looked at the box score. said JT had 2 turnovers. not sure how that's possible as it seemed like he threw a handful of passes to Charlestown as if they were wearing keaney blue. other than that, I think we handled the ball pretty well. give them credit. they played good defense and stayed in front of our guards. their guards also handled our pressure...only turning the ball over once in the 2nd half.

great to see a more assertive Langevine. and we are lucky to have a guy like stan. he is everywhere on the floor. he is asked to defend much bigger plays. he had 10 rebounds tonight. 4 on the offensive side!

also nice to meet the crazy guy a few rows in front of me with the EC jersey that's always making sure the refs know when they suck! :)
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

wgracie99 wrote:Disappointed in the crowd here mins before the game.

late arriving, but not a bad crowd...especially given students are on break.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I'll be very surprised if EC ever plays another game here that he doesn't start....

SURPRISE!!! :D
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing that pisses me off is the empty seats in the season ticket sections. I was in 211, so right across from 105. I counted 41 empty seats in section 105. Yes, the seats are sold, but people are not showing up. Just give the tickets away if you're not going to go. Right behind the Rhody bench. I'll gladly take them off of anyone's hands.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I'll be very surprised if EC ever plays another game here that he doesn't start....

SURPRISE!!! :D
I know, right!?!? :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The other thing is we have a pretty geriatric crowd. We need to keep winning to get the students involved so we can keep the future crowds lively.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....being a resident of section 105, yes there are empty seats most all games usually in the lower rows right behind the bench, sightlines there not so good, I do think some of the empty seats in this section could be Athletic Department/Team comps etc......and maybe other will calls.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah the seats directly behind the bench and all the way over To behind Steve and Don are reserved for friends and family if coaches and players.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Back from the game and dinner.
Tough game vesus a good Charleston team.
Langevine played . I think, his best game as a Ram.
Worked hard underneath for rebounds and scoring.
Terrell played well,a few shots going in and out, and Stan got a double-double.
Only 10 assists for the entire game.
The offense seemed stagnant at times, with
Dowtin doing way too much dribbling.
EC looked very rusty, even tossing up an air ball from 10 feet away.
Jarvis only took one shot.
Waited around after the game, which turned out to be great.
Ran into legend Milan and his nice family.
Talked at length with Chris Disano, resident basketball guru,
as well as Don Kaull and his lovely wife.
Got to really go down memory lane with my all time
favorite coach, Tom Penders.
He's still a wealth of knowledge and a great story teller.
Told me it was Al Skinner who advised him to let Silk, and company
run,run, run.
He'd gotten here October 4th and never saw anyone but Silk play, previously.
Told him he was once "public enemy number one" at URI.
Don Kaull was on the search committee, and when Penders got to meet him
for the interview, he said,"I guess there goes the job."
Luckily, he was hired.
Got to see Jared's new baby, and Jarvis's twin sons.
Cute kids.
So, I'm 2-0 at the RC this season.
14 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

I felt the crowd wanted to get loud for a long part of the second half, but URI couldn't get the run going that would unlock the noise. CofC did a good job attacking the rim, drawing the foul each time URI was poised to get the crowd really into the game. It was at least a large (though late to seats) crowd with most of first and second level filled in.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Couple of thoughts:

I was worried about the crowd as the game was starting but it turned out to be a pretty good one. We have the latest arriving crowd in sports, doesn't matter what time or what day the game is. At least we are decent once we are in the building, though.

TP Jr made his first career game appearance (any sport, any level) at the Ryan today. Tough to get the win in your debut, but he pulled it off.

I don't understand people littering this thread calling Charleston a cupcake. I get that their early schedule hasn't been good but that team was picked to win a reasonably good league and they have a few really good players. I thought we looked pretty rusty for two distinct stretches of the game, but I was pretty impressed with Charleston. The stretches where we looked bad weren't totally self-inflicted.

Akele's box score probably isn't going to turn any heads (although 5 boards in 7 minutes is nothing to sneeze at), but I thought he impacted the game for how little he played in the second half. In a addition to fighting for a couple of tough rebounds, his one hoop was on a pretty nifty move to the basket and more importantly it was our first one of the second half after almost 4 minutes and a 9-0 Charleston run to open the half. It was an important bucket.

I don't know how anyone could have watched tonight and still not be convinced that Langevine had been playing hurt. Putting aside his stats, he just visibly looked like a different player. In the PC and Alabama games he looked to me like he could barely move laterally and like he was wearing 20 lb sneakers. Totally different player tonight just in terms of his ability to get in position to protect the rim, hedge ball screens out top, and battle for rebounds underneath. Hopefully the injury is at least manageable from here out, if not completely behind him, because that Langevine is a difference maker.

I agree with someone here who expressed shock that Jared only was officially credited with 2 TOs in the box score. I can see at least three in my head specifically as I sit here writing this. He was so careless with the ball during one stretch of the game that it looked like he was disinterested and I thought he had to come off the floor for at least a minute to get some smelling salts or something. And then he came right back with a three and a tough jumper on back-to-back trips to tie then re- tie the game as we headed down the stretch after we had battled our way back into the game. Even on an off night he can carry you for important parts of games. Sign of a true star player.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Congrats to TP the younger. I thought this was going to be a cupcake game, but they turned out to be much better than I anticipated. Even though Rhody looked a bit rusty at times, C of C has got some good players. There were several times I thought, "watch out for Riller from outside"...and he dumped it inside to Harris for a slam.

Langevine has not played this well all year (not sure he even played this well at any point last year - kind of agree with Rod, might have been his best game yet). Was great to see him assert himself...would still prefer he limit the # of times he bounces the ball on the floor, but he was really moving well tonight.

Liked what Dan had to say on the post-game, acknowledging Stan's sacrifice (playing 4's, and drawing a parallel to how the C's use Smart) and talking about how some games it's someone's night, and other games, someone else's.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

This was a very good Charleston team. Number 1 and their center number 23 were both excellent players. I’m glad we were able to pull off the win. Cyril did have a great game and we did have a very nice crowd.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I was really concerned about this game given the long layoff and the poor shooting shown in the Alabama game. I was also perplexed as to why some one would call C of C as a cupcake, with someone even suggesting that of the three OOC games left- C of C, Iona, FGCU - that FGCU would be the toughest. Before making these type of predictions, you have to factor the strength of their respective conference. The CAA is ranked #13 just behind the A-10's #10 ranking, and the Metro Atlantic, Iona's conference is #25 and FGCU's A-Sun ranks #24. That fact by itself told me C. of C would be no pushover. As for FGCU, not only is their conference weaker than the CAA, they got throttled by Oral Roberts today on their own court.

BTW, where has the Rams three point shooting gone in the last two games??
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

I take all blame for calling them a cupcake! I would've been the one to blame if we lost today. Charleston getting beaten by RPI 223 Cal Poly seems like a definite fluke now.

Moving forward, we need Cyril in the starting lineup!! 50% from the field, 70% from the line, with a double-double in only 25 minutes?? That's the guy who helped give Oregon a run for their money
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched the live stream and was happy we got the much needed win

As others said very impressed with Cyril's play out there. He plays like that going forward hopefully 30 minutes per night we will win a lot of games. Just don't put the ball on the floor though go straight up

Jared nice outing providing scoring output

Stan 10 and 10 nice

Akele looked solid in his 7 minutes

Fatts didn't play so well

EC looked very rusty

2nd game this year where Jarvis played lots of minutes with hardly any shots

All in all decent win to get us to 6-3 then hopefully 8-3 going into conf play
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Game was much too close for comfort.....good thing we had 3 guys play well....Cyril, Stan, and JT...we needed all of that.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Their head coach is delusional
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Good win.. That was no cupcake.. Charleston is a good well coached team.. No Cyril, no win.. Monster 2nd half from the big guy.. Still think he's the key.. You have to have that rim protector playing the d we do and berry is not it.. Cyril showed when healthy he can be it.. Good win....
0 x