12/16 | Charleston Cougars | 4:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: 12/16 | Charleston Cougars | 4:00PM

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote:Some things I’d like/hope to see in this game:

A win, obviously. A win against Charleston would be one of those sneaky good ones on the overall resume. Rhode Island is the clear favorite, especially at home, but someone referred to Charleston as a “cupcake,” which is not at all accurate. The long lay-off might lead to a rough start, but a solid, pull away win would be ideal.

A comfortable, double-digit minutes’ game for a healthy EC, while making a couple of those moves to the basket that remind us why he’s a very good player.

A Fatts’ dunk for no other reason than they’re fun.

A solid shooting game from Jared Terrell. He’s shooting 6 for 24 (2-11 against PC, 4-13 against Alabama) in his last two games. We know who and what he is, so I’m not concerned, but everything looks and feels better if he can tighten that up a bit.

The Rhody defense shutting down one of Charleston’s really good, experienced guards.
I'd like to see a solid 20-24 minutes from Cyril, showing that he's recovered from his hernia. We need a healthy, productive Cyril to make a decent post-season run.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

My daughter who's a sophomore came home today between exams and I asked her if she was going to the game on Saturday. She said "What game?". UGH. I brought her to games since she was 5. She's in a sorority no less. We have work to do.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote:My daughter who's a sophomore came home today between exams and I asked her if she was going to the game on Saturday. She said "What game?". UGH. I brought her to games since she was 5. She's in a sorority no less. We have work to do.
How can the kids on campus not know there's a game? Yeah, I know social media is the big thing these days, but a few signs on campus wouldn't hurt. First 300 kids get wraps too, so ads/signs with that would help.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Anyway, if kids on campus don't even know yet that there's a home game on Saturday, once again, that's pretty poor marketing.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
theblueram wrote:My daughter who's a sophomore came home today between exams and I asked her if she was going to the game on Saturday. She said "What game?". UGH. I brought her to games since she was 5. She's in a sorority no less. We have work to do.
How can the kids on campus not know there's a game? Yeah, I know social media is the big thing these days, but a few signs on campus wouldn't hurt. First 300 kids get wraps too, so ads/signs with that would help.
You just need signs in the dining facilities. They gotta eat. Heck, have video boards playing highlights and that video of Dan and the team speaking to the students. something. anything.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

theblueram wrote:
You just need signs in the dining facilities. They gotta eat. Heck, have video boards playing highlights and that video of Dan and the team speaking to the students. something. anything.
They have all of those things. Plus in the Memorial Union. Not everybody sees everything. Likely some students are distracted by finals.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I know. Probably more frustration that my daughter didn't know about the game. Maybe she doesn't like basketball. But, based on attendance, with 13,000 students on campus and we're lucky to get a thousand......
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
They have all of those things. Plus in the Memorial Union. Not everybody sees everything. Likely some students are distracted by finals.
And earlier this week, some of the players went “dorm-storming,” talking with students and handing out flyers with Saturday’s game info.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
And earlier this week, some of the players went “dorm-storming,” talking with students and handing out flyers with Saturday’s game info.
Now that is awesome!!!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think I remember the players walking around campus with bull horns announcing games. Does anybody remember that? And how long ago that was?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

theblueram wrote:I know. Probably more frustration that my daughter didn't know about the game. Maybe she doesn't like basketball. But, based on attendance, with 13,000 students on campus and we're lucky to get a thousand......
How many students actually live on campus?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

CT Rhody wrote:
theblueram wrote:I know. Probably more frustration that my daughter didn't know about the game. Maybe she doesn't like basketball. But, based on attendance, with 13,000 students on campus and we're lucky to get a thousand......
How many students actually live on campus?
~7,000. Mostly frosh/sophomores. Many upperclassman move down the line.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Handing out flyers right as you swipe into one the dining halls isn't a bad idea at all. ESPECIALLY if the players are the ones doing it
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

ace wrote: someone referred to Charleston as a “cupcake,” which is not at all accurate. The long lay-off might lead to a rough start, but a solid, pull away win would be ideal.
What do you mean?

They lost to Cal Poly at home (RPI 220), and their best win is vs an RPI 194 school (Western Carolina) ...

Definitely checks off a few 'cupcake' boxes there
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KP top third, but if it came to a vote, I'd have to go with "cupcake".... however, this could be one of the better cupcake crowds at the Ry in a while...no green dots in Section two-oh-great.....
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

URI'21 wrote:
ace wrote: someone referred to Charleston as a “cupcake,” which is not at all accurate. The long lay-off might lead to a rough start, but a solid, pull away win would be ideal.
What do you mean?

They lost to Cal Poly at home (RPI 220), and their best win is vs an RPI 194 school (Western Carolina) ...

They lost to Cal Poly in Anchorage as part of the Great Alaska Shootout. Their only other loss is to Wichita State. Their opponents so far haven’t been strong, but they’ve handled their business. They’ve been playing without Jarell Brantley (luckily for URI he’ll still be out on Saturday), who is expected to be back for conference play, a conference they’re expected to win (CAA). They have strong, experienced guards in Chealey (likely conference player of the year) and Johnson, and a good coach (Earl Grant) who has led an impressive turn-around, from 9 wins to 25, in his 3 years there. That’s what I mean.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

ace wrote:
URI'21 wrote:
What do you mean?

They lost to Cal Poly in Anchorage as part of the Great Alaska Shootout. Their only other loss is to Wichita State. Their opponents so far haven’t been strong, but they’ve handled their business. They’ve been playing without Jarell Brantley (luckily for URI he’ll still be out on Saturday), who is expected to be back for conference play, a conference they’re expected to win (CAA). They have strong, experienced guards in Chealey (likely conference player of the year) and Johnson, and a good coach (Earl Grant) who has led an impressive turn-around, from 9 wins to 25, in his 3 years there. That’s what I mean.
That's fair, I like your research. Although even if it seems the pieces are there for success, it doesn't look like they're showing much just yet.

I'm still on Team Cupcake
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't see College of Charleston as a cupcake at all
They were picked unanimously to win the CAA preseason. Their top guard was picked preseason CAA Player of the Year
A win over URI on the road would be very valuable for a team like College of Charleston
They return all 5 starters, although Brantley is hurt for the first part of the season
Putting the remaining OOC Teams in perspective by Expected RPI, Iona would be 4th in the A10, Florida Gulf Coast would be 6th and so would College of Charleston
I'll be happy to get 3 wins at home over these 3 teams, none will be pushovers imho

Expected RPI
29.8 Rhode Island
57.5 St. Bonaventure
78.2 Davidson
102.7 Iona
110.0 VCU
116.6 Dayton
119.0 Florida Gulf Coast
130.1 College of Charleston
136.0 La Salle
173.4 Saint Joseph's
176.7 George Washington
181.5 Massachusetts
211.7 Saint Louis
236.0 George Mason
256.1 Duquesne
256.4 Richmond
273.0 Fordham
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cof C will be the easiest of the 3 then I think Iona and I think the greatest challenge will be FGCU

I think we win them all 2 of them by double figs
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

josephski wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Preston looks fine. He hasn't figured the fouls out yet. That's a big problem for him to me. He fouls and DH sits him down.
Langevine and Preston both have 18 fouls this season in 69 and 72 minutes respectively. Berry has 19 fouls in 161 minutes. If both those guys could figure out how to play defense without fouling it would make a big difference but obviously that's easier said than done.
Yea fouling has been tough for the front court Rhody Rams to figure out the past several years.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Any stream for this game? I'm hoping to head down from the Boston area, but the in laws are in town, so it's going to be tough to get away. Was hoping to take my father in law, but he has no interest in the sport at all.
A10 Network

https://www.nmnathletics.com/liveEvents ... M_ID=31600
Thanks ramster...I also picked up a nasty cold, so another thing that will probably keep me from heading down to Kingston :(
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Given Berry's improved play and Cyril's improved health, is it possible they'll start together, given the size of Charleston's front court? I think Stan will be assigned to defend Chealey.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Does EC start? Or is he first off the bench? See you tomorrow!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If EC plays I'd be surprised if he doesn't start, if for no other reason than the fan pop. Is there any advantage to him coming off the bench?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Cyril and Andre and EC and Jared and Jarvis and Stan and Jeff... two aren’t starting. That’s an ok problem to have.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Dan said on his radio show that EC was shooting the ball well in practice, so maybe he will start. If Cyril still isn't 100%, he may not start either. I do worry about their front court through .... 6-10 and 6-8 are tough to defend when you're only 6-4 (Stan) or 6-5 (EC).
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I like the way Will puts this together before each game with just extended quotes. Good stuff from Dan in here...

2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:I like the way Will puts this together before each game with just extended quotes. Good stuff from Dan in here...

Same. I'm sure Will's a nice guy, but would rather hear from the coach and players. Thanks for posting, will start looking for it.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

What time do doors open tomorrow, hour before gametime?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fantastic quotes there

Looks like Cyril is getting that power back

Failed bench press for Ryan Preston god dammit
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:What time do doors open tomorrow, hour before gametime?
Yes, 1 hour before. Only exception to that is PC when it is 1 1/2 hours before
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Good scheduling playing CofC and Iona after exams. I expect an ugly game with many turnovers. Good game for EC to return. We need Cyril to return to form and the rest should have helped. I expect rust but hope to see Cyril moving and jumping better. View this game as a second start for the season: weak opponent, getting game legs, lots of minutes for many players with little continuity.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote:Good scheduling playing CofC and Iona after exams. I expect an ugly game with many turnovers. Good game for EC to return. We need Cyril to return to form and the rest should have helped. I expect rust but hope to see Cyril moving and jumping better. View this game as a second start for the season: weak opponent, getting game legs, lots of minutes for many players with little continuity.
I disagree that this is a weak opponent. CAA is the 14th ranked conference, A10 is 11th ranked conference in RPI.
College of Charleston and URI we’re both picked preseason to win their conferences.
With so many viewing C of C as a weak, cupcake opponent it’s no wonder potential fans stay home. But this, Iona and FGSU all have the potential for excellent basketball watching, better that many of the A10 teams that will visit Kingston.

If URI wins or wins big some will say that opponent was terrible, not that URI played good or great - happens often.

C of C, Iona and FGSU all represent real potential for upsets, we need good turnouts of Rhody fans. Important to Coaches and players.
4 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:Good scheduling playing CofC and Iona after exams. I expect an ugly game with many turnovers. Good game for EC to return. We need Cyril to return to form and the rest should have helped. I expect rust but hope to see Cyril moving and jumping better. View this game as a second start for the season: weak opponent, getting game legs, lots of minutes for many players with little continuity.
I disagree that this is a weak opponent. CAA is the 14th ranked conference, A10 is 11th ranked conference in RPI.
College of Charleston and URI we’re both picked preseason to win their conferences.
With so many viewing C of C as a weak, cupcake opponent it’s no wonder potential fans stay home. But this, Iona and FGSU all have the potential for excellent basketball watching, better that many of the A10 teams that will visit Kingston.

If URI wins or wins big some will say that opponent was terrible, not that URI played good or great - happens often.

C of C, Iona and FGSU all represent real potential for upsets, we need good turnouts of Rhody fans. Important to Coaches and players.
100% agreed, with the A-10 being like it is this year, these next three teams would be top half A-10 teams this year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

GAME DAY!!!!!!
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A demographic comparison of the two schools:

URI	    C.of C

Location	                 Rural	    Urban
Type            	         Public	    Public
Undergraduate Enrollment	 15,092	   10,488
Graduate Enrollment	          3,033	    1,454
Female/Male Ratio	        55%/44%	   64%/36%
Minority %	                  23%	     19%
In-State/Out of State Mix       56%/44%	   69%/31%
Majors Offered	                  80	      70
Average SAT	                 1182	    1095
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: I disagree that this is a weak opponent. CAA is the 14th ranked conference, A10 is 11th ranked conference in RPI.

Worth noting - the CAA is 5-3 ytd versus the A-10

A-10 wins vs CAA 3
1. Davidson 108, UNC Wilm 81
2. Geo Mason 76, James Madison 72
3. Richmond 74, James Madison 71

A-10 losses vs CAA 5
1. Richmond 63, Delaware 76
2. Dayton 69, Hofstra 72
3. La Salle 60, Towson 67
4. Geo Mason 70, William & Mary 77
5. La Salle 70, Drexel 72
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

"On Matthews’ return: I think his presence is going to take a lot of pressure off the other guys. He’s going to attract the top perimeter defender on the other team now. He’s going to open up the court for our forwards. They’re going to have more room to play. Our other guards are going to get better looks. Just having a guy who’s going to show up the way he shows up on other teams’ scouting reports is going to create opportunities. Will everyone’s minutes be affected? Yeah, instead of playing 37 minutes, you might play 32, so there’s probably going to be a little bit more urgency with these guys when they’re on the court. They’ve got to kind of empty the tank now. We want to keep all of our guards between 25 and maybe 32 minutes now. We should be fresher and able to close games, and be fresher later in the year."

Well at least our head coach realizes what EC does for this team. I'm very happy he's back.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

In today's Projo, Koch has Jeff, Jarvis, Jared, Stan and Andre starting with Fatts, EC and Cyril 1st 3 off the bench. Heckuva bench ....
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Cake. Walk.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The guy is a lousy writer who doesn't do his homework :

"the Rams will most likely be without guard E.C. Matthews, who was the preseason A-10 player of the year."
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody74 wrote:In today's Projo, Koch has Jeff, Jarvis, Jared, Stan and Andre starting with Fatts, EC and Cyril 1st 3 off the bench. Heckuva bench ....
That's his best guess
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'll be very surprised if EC ever plays another game here that he doesn't start....
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not a big fan of starting 4 guards but it is what it is
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Disappointed in the crowd here mins before the game.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

We're at home, EC is back. Let's get back on track today
0 x