What have We learned from the out of conference schedule....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

What have We learned from the out of conference schedule....

Unread post by section(105) »

Too many missing aspects of the game, especially on the offenseive end. The solid defense and defensive game strategy by the coahces is the sole constant we have. That alone will keep Rhody in most games, and on those rare nights where we "click on all cylinders"......we scare some and beat a few. Brooklyn travel plans............No.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Re: What have We learned from the out of conference schedule

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

I wouldn't write us off just yet, we played some really tough teams out of conference this year with a young team and we finished with a 5-8 record. I don't think were going to coast in to brooklyn but I think we may have just enough to sneak in. On any given night teams are not going to mow us down and if we shoot decent we will be right in games. The only teams that worry us right now are the teams that are really physical inside. An easier schedule and I could see this team being a 8-5 tem. We lostsome games by just 1 or 2 points and good teams too.
0 x
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

First 5 games .... 0-5. Last 8 Games .... 5-3. I think that says it all. As time goes on, the team is getting better in working under Hurley. Excited to see what the conference play will look like especially against the likes of Butler when we have a lot of games under our belt. Not saying we will win but I wouldnt count us out of any games later this season
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Considering we played the 21st most difficult OOC schedule in the entire country, I have to say we've come quite a long way since November. Going 5-3 in the past 8 games is more than I could have hoped for going in.

It boils down to the most simplified formula there is; our stifling defense is by far our best strength and our lopsided, streaky offense is our biggest weakness.

Luckily, in about 9 of our 13 games so far, that defensive grittiness kept us in games even when our offense was a complete disaster. Which I think is a good indicator of how A10 play will go. We'll lose a fair share of games...but we'll also keep opponents close, win a bunch and steal a one or two big W's along the way.

In my opinion it would be foolish to completely rule out a backdoor visit to Brooklyn in March at this point.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yes and No

0-5 to 5-3, there was improvement, but the "easier" teams came predominantly towards the second half.

I was very happy with this non conference schedule. If this were a team in years 2-4 of the Hurley era, it might be an ideal non conference schedule.

The non conference schedule need only do one thing: prepare the team for the conference schedule. B/c as we saw with Baron: going 12-1 in the non conference against a slate loaded with cupcakes doesn't produce a NCAA bid.

This team will go to the NCAA's (not this year, but in following years) based on if they take care of business in the A10.

I think this schedule tuned up this team, with all of it's deficiencies and limitations, as well as possible for the A10. Now we wait and see.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

we simply dont have enough guys who can score

we have multiple lineups our coach is forced to put out there (i.e. brooks for rebounding, TJ for defense or to spell X or Powell, bigby) that force us to play 4 vs 5 on the offensive end. against good teams there isnt any coach in the country that could overcome that.

our defense is obv better than in the past, Brown scored quite easily vs PC a team with MUCH more talent than us. yet we had them at 24 pts with under 10 minutes to play.

i am confident that when the hurleys have a roster of 8+ guys that can score the ball we will be a force to be reckon with. that will happen as soon as next year, though a major roster overhaul next year will come with growing pains in the early season.

we are 5-8 and EASILY could have 3 more wins (Seton Hall, Mason, Norfolk St) and be 8-5 which people would be jumping for joy about. the difference in the two scenarios is very small, so i will take it given the hand the hurleys were dealt. limited experience, 2 guys who saw major minutes last year (powell & nik), our biggest returning threat Nik has struggled mightily in many games, and of course we have zero inside presence.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

BAR, Loyola was one we had and lost, due to not covering their only shooter.
Could have been 9-4.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Norfolk St we ran out of gas, Seton Hall we stopped scoring, George Mason just couldn't pull it out, Loyola we should have won...
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If our out of conference schedule has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

The scoring slumps that this team goes through in games is what will hold them back from winning its fair share in the conference. The games will still be exciting because their defense will give them a chance but ultimately the lack of scoring at key times will be the difference. I'm looking forward to the conference though because it will be nice to win some games over our A-10 foes and if we don't win at least put some scares into the top conference teams. We won't be the team Baron had us become where every coach in the league knew what was coming and when it was coming and could pull out victories over us in every big conference game.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hurley priorities this year:
1. Setting the standard for effort.
2. Getting freshmen and sophomores ready to compete.
3. Developing Munford into all-conference player.
4. Indoctrinating ineligible players to the Hurley way.
5. Giving seniors the chance to have a final season they'll feel good about.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well said Iggy...and I think we can all be pleased with that list.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Iggy's list says it all.
Anyone who doesn't understand the big picture, never will.
It's not about winning now. It's establishing the culture needed
to succeed in the future.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we can go 6-10 in conf which wont be too bad, maybe we can even get to 7 conf wins
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

6 or 7 wins and we'll be in, that would be a high goal for this year. I'd like to see the fight that will make us more competitive when pieces are added next year.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

EZBuckets wrote:Considering we played the 21st most difficult OOC schedule in the entire country, I have to say we've come quite a long way since November. Going 5-3 in the past 8 games is more than I could have hoped for going in.

It boils down to the most simplified formula there is; our stifling defense is by far our best strength and our lopsided, streaky offense is our biggest weakness.

Luckily, in about 9 of our 13 games so far, that defensive grittiness kept us in games even when our offense was a complete disaster. Which I think is a good indicator of how A10 play will go. We'll lose a fair share of games...but we'll also keep opponents close, win a bunch and steal a one or two big W's along the way.

In my opinion it would be foolish to completely rule out a backdoor visit to Brooklyn in March at this point.
Rhody is #158 in the country in defensive efficiency. They don't turn anyone over and they don't end possessions by rebounding well. In a vacuum, the points given up is OK but that is because their tempo is #289 in the country. On a possession by possession basis, Rhody is nothing more than a middle of the pack team. This needs to get better, which I think it will next year with the additional pieces. But, nowhere near stifling.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

True GoneBaronGone, but to go from being ranked around 315th in Defensive points per possession to around 150th IS a big turnaround.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Gonebarongone wrote:
EZBuckets wrote:Considering we played the 21st most difficult OOC schedule in the entire country, I have to say we've come quite a long way since November. Going 5-3 in the past 8 games is more than I could have hoped for going in.

Rhody is #158 in the country in defensive efficiency. They don't turn anyone over and they don't end possessions by rebounding well. In a vacuum, the points given up is OK but that is because their tempo is #289 in the country. On a possession by possession basis, Rhody is nothing more than a middle of the pack team. This needs to get better, which I think it will next year with the additional pieces. But, nowhere near stifling.
Understood that tempo has a lot to do with the low scoring output, but these kids play defense. I'd say it's hidden in the stats but what'd I'd be interested in is % of possesions that end up as turnovers forced and % of possesions that are forced into difficult shots. Yes we do have a problem rebounding, but in past years we've had trouble playing anything that resembeled defense. Remember the full court presses, One-pass and it's a layup at the other end. The old team wouldn't just press when they needed to either it would be a strategy from the beginning of the game but it plain didn't work. I know they probably did it to get teams out of sync but when you run-and-gun on one end and then press on every made basket, well I think your bound to get tired and sloppy. JMO, I'd much rather have a sound fundamental team like we're seeing now. They may not have all the pieces they need to finish off plays and let's face it they will make mistakes they're freshman, but with time and more players the future is bright.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

19.7% of defensive possessions end in turnovers which is #222 in the country, about a point below D-1 average. The % of possessions that end up in tough shots is impossible to tell, although their effective fg% given up is pretty good, which is either a function of tough D or playing teams that don't shoot well. Either way, that is probably their best defensive metric with rebounding being their worst. You don't need advanced stats for that, though. Our eyeballs see that. Rhody lets 35.6% of defensive rebounding opportunities end up as offensive boards for the opposition. That is killer.
I do agree with ATP. Trend is important. I do think URI will eventually get there but still a long way to go before stifling. Bodies and added experience next year will help.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

What's a "defensive possession"? Is that when they dribble while backpedaling ? Or, is it when they have the ball but don't feel that they deserve it?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ramfan85 wrote:What's a "defensive possession"? Is that when they dribble while backpedaling ? Or, is it when they have the ball but don't feel that they deserve it?
Dribbling it while not deserving it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

hurley is using coaching 101, with major talent and size deficiencies, slow down the game and shorten it. he knows the margin of error is so razor thin he can't afford to play open, on either end of the court. it is hard to project what our defense will be like when our coach has a plethora of talent and athletes, but its clear that already our halfcourt defense is much improved. I don't need stats, go to/watch the games and you can see it. The future is bright, as long as we aren't in the patriot league!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With the defense we play and if we dont turn the ball over we will win our share of conf games
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I buy into Iggy's standards for measuring success. Breaking the Baron culture that was passed down from upperclassmen to newcomers is the #1 priority. Having so many transfers (even if ineligible) helps with this indoctrination. Freshman have no idea what to expect and take on the habits of upperclassmen. I think the Hurleys have done an excellent job in this respect. Also, since the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, it is best that BB is gone.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

What I've learned from the out of conference schedule is...
-we have a team full of fighters
-the defense is vastly improved
-the Hurley's can coach, but if there is one area that could improve it's late game situations (meaning how to keep the opponent from hitting a last possession shot to win it or how to draw up a play to ensure a game winning last possession shot).
-we can initially hang tough against good team...but because of a lack of another talented scorer and bench depth, it doesn't last the length of the game.
-Powell is becoming a solid point guard.
-Hare has hops, but needs to put that ability to use to get rebounds
-Xavier Munford's scoring is better than I expected, but turns the ball over like I expected
-Nik is best suited to ride the bench late in the second half of games unless we are super desperate for 3pt shots (liability on offense).
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Everything is going as planned, I see a huge step up next yr just falling short of the dance and in yr 3 I think we finally get there
0 x