Week #5 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Cartwright may actually be guarding himself in this game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Cartwright may actually be guarding himself in this game.
Again???!!!
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

This kid Pipkins is legit for Umass
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Penn beat Dayton. Gross

I said it when PC needed overtime to beat Brown, I think we broke them. Cartwright specifically is a mess right now. I guess Cooley said he was hurt in the BC game, but he still played 33 minutes and had double figure points against Rider in the game between BC and us.

As much as some people hate the idea, we need PC to be good this year, but I'm OK with UMass winning today, that's good for our RPI and conference
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Friars are not doing too well against the A-10 as they are 1-2 with a win over St Louis and losses to both URI and UMass. URI conversely is an undefeated 2-0 versus the Big East with wins over Seton Hall and Providence.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

With the new quadrant system, this is not good for us.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

As long as they stay in the top 75 in RPI, which all joking about breaking them they should, they'll remain a quadrant 2 win. They're still projected to have an RPI in the 50's after this. They definitely need to get their mojo back and fast though
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Results not too surprising given that Diallo out, White, out, and Cartwright playing hurt. Hate to see UMass benefit from that.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

theblueram wrote:With the new quadrant system, this is not good for us.
I disagree. Beating that hideous, disgusting institution on the site of a former mental hospital is a good thing, no matter what happens the rest of the way.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
theblueram wrote:With the new quadrant system, this is not good for us.
I disagree. Beating that hideous, disgusting institution on the site of a former mental hospital is a good thing, no matter what happens the rest of the way.
Red gotta love your hate of the dalmations.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

down to 1 top 50 win. everybody still happy about going 8-3 OOC?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:down to 1 top 50 win. everybody still happy about going 8-3 OOC?
Yes, they have way more opportunities to boost their RPI. Lots of games left to be played, also 2 of our close losses will be viewed as not having our "best player". Anyway you cut it 8-3 with a top 10 OOC schedule is a successful OOC for us. Personally I thought we'd be 7-4 WITH EC and Cyril, so yes all things considered I am happy.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:down to 1 top 50 win. everybody still happy about going 8-3 OOC?
Nothing changed today with the new quadrant system, so yes, I'm still happy with what we've done so far
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agreed with the above for the most part....should not have lost to Alabama though.

And we haven't won the next 3 games yet......although we should.

Anyway, if we end up 8-3 OOC and say 14-4 A10, we'll dance.....
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Dre3000 wrote:
Yes, they have way more opportunities to boost their RPI. Lots of games left to be played, also 2 of our close losses will be viewed as not having our "best player". Anyway you cut it 8-3 with a top 10 OOC schedule is a successful OOC for us. Personally I thought we'd be 7-4 WITH EC and Cyril, so yes all things considered I am happy.

wasn't confident about 2 top 50 wins so I'm less confident about 1, but I respect your opinion. on a side note, we only had 1 close loss without our "best player". EC played all but the last 2-3 minutes against Nevada and I don't think VA counts as a close loss.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain't so Eddie Cooley !!
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

The biggest thing for us is to take care of each game in front of us. The thing that made us so nervous last year is that we had 1 bad loss at home, and another atrocious loss at home. If we can avoid bad losses altogether and avoid losses at home, we should be able to dance.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Although our at large situation is precarious, it's not as bad as pc's. So there is that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah everything still looks good we take care of business and we will be dancing
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seton Hall win will trump any wins we had last season
PC on top of that
Beat up Bonnies and we will be fine for at-large

Meanwhile on the PC board look for a Welsh 2.0 thead in 3,2,1.... :)
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PC still has many more opportunities for Q1 wins than we do...although the way they are playing right now isn't helping.

What do we have left? One, maybe 2 more Q1 games? If VCU and Davidson flop, that's what we'll have.

Things are taking shape....the Bonnies indeed look to be our only legit challenger.

Yes, BAR, the Seton Hall win looks like Cincy from last season....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Need everyone to show up next weekend for the COC game. Need to show the team we support them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It looks much better than Cincy last year - they were a fringe Top 25 team. Seton Hall is looking like a legit Top 10-15 team with their only loss to us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's why a win against Alabama would have been huge to add to that win......we need more than just one marquee win.....

I guess we could say the win against SH and the loss to A evened out.

I want to see us win the tough conference road games.....don't expect to win them all, but most of them.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

theblueram wrote:Although our at large situation is precarious, it's not as bad as pc's. So there is that.
Jesus Christ, no it isn't. We are in, period. All we can do is play our way out
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
theblueram wrote:Although our at large situation is precarious, it's not as bad as pc's. So there is that.
Agree with DPS......we are in as of now.....get and stay healthy and there is no reason why we shouldn't be there in March.

Would be awesome if we can play well enough to take any suspense out of an at large berth BEFORE the conference tourney.

As in a 7-10 seed.....
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well, we have 18 landmines coming up in conference. So I would still say precarious.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Conference road games are never easy, especially with the vagaries involving the refs.....

But except for a single matchup problem on a few teams, such as Cunningham, Aldridge, and Tillman, we shouldn't be outsized or outquicked or whatever against any conference foe.

A10 teams simply don't have 2 or more really good big men.....

And that's why I fully expect us to beat St. Bonaventure TWICE this season....they are guard oriented but so are we and we are deeper.....and we usually shut down Mobley and that should get it done.

And for all of you who think I'm Negative Nancy....stuff it lol!
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
Well, we have 18 landmines coming up in conference. So I would still say precarious.
If this is true for us then that means it is true for every team in the nation at this point
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Conference road games are never easy, especially with the vagaries involving the refs.....

But except for a single matchup problem on a few teams, such as Cunningham, Aldridge, and Tillman, we shouldn't be outsized or outquicked or whatever against any conference foe.

A10 teams simply don't have 2 or more really good big men.....

And that's why I fully expect us to beat St. Bonaventure TWICE this season....they are guard oriented but so are we and we are deeper.....and we usually shut down Mobley and that should get it done.

And for all of you who think I'm Negative Nancy....stuff it lol!
lol. Bone is drinking the kool aid. Nice!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So if anybody thinks UMass is good they are 0-5 away from home.....they will be good but not yet. Too young.

Oh yeah....forgot Holloway in the above post.....

PC is finding that the road is NOT where the heart is.....even freaking Duke....I watched that game....can we hit that many 3's in one game ha ha?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
If this is true for us then that means it is true for every team in the nation at this point
You mean every 1 bid conference, right?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are Juan bid this year if we win the A10 tourney, unless someone else surprises and goes something like 14-4 themselves....or we lose in the tourney....the A10 continues to shit itself day by day......
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......love it when PC struggles.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:We are Juan bid this year if we win the A10 tourney, unless someone else surprises and goes something like 14-4 themselves....or we lose in the tourney....the A10 continues to shit itself day by day......
That won't even do it. The A10 is a one bid league and us. We screw up in league and don't win the tournament, we are toast.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

so we go 8-3 OOC including 1-3 vs the top 50 (2-3 if PC finds their way back in) and go 14-4 in a weak conference and we are in? love the optimism here and hope you are all right, but I just don't see it.

Christ, BC already has a top 10 win and will have several chances to add more. does anyone see them getting in? there are a number of teams that are not going to make the tournament with 2 or more top 50s.

everyone seems to be focusing on how difficult our OOC is. last year was difficult too with true road games at Valpo (when they had Peters healthy), at Houston and at PC. No question that this year is more difficult, but that will be offset by a weak conference. no Dayton or VCU this year. other than RI, I don't think there is a team in the A10 without at least one bad loss. And no team other than RI has a good win.

If we don't win the tourney I won't be comfortable on Selection Sunday if we go 14-4 in conference. I think we need 16-2.

hoping someone has a compelling argument to talk me off the ledge. :)
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote:......love it when PC struggles.....

will you still love it if at the end of the year, PC's struggles is the difference that keeps URI out of the tourney? if so, you are a PC hater, not a URI fan.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Again, it's not so much our overall league record at the end of the regular season, but more about who we beat and who we lost to and where.

We will almost definitely lose a couple we should win....but we need to beat the better teams and some of those on the road.....

We have VCU, Davidson, and the Bonnies on the road, and the Bonnies at home....imo we need to win 3 of those games to feel safe on SS...as long as we generally take care of business against the lesser teams also.

If we were to go 14-4 overall, but lose all 4 of the above games, that 14-4 won't mean squat, and we will likely have to win the A10 tourney.

If we go 14-4, but win 3 of those games, we should be much better off. The other losses might hurt the RPI, BPI, etc. more, but again, it's all about quality wins...and we will need some of those.

Not to mention the 3 remaining OOC games...we need to win those.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

rambone 78 wrote:We are Juan bid this year if we win the A10 tourney, unless someone else surprises and goes something like 14-4 themselves....or we lose in the tourney....the A10 continues to shit itself day by day......
St Bonaventure currently has the same number of quadrent 1 and 2 wins as us, granted they do have one bad loss. If the Bonnie’s can win the rest of their OOC games they’d be in a very good position going into A10 play.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Right now Maryland is nowhere near the quality of win as Seton Hall...it's not even good as our Cincy win last year. Bonnies need to beat Syracuse and Vermont to feel good heading into A10.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:so we go 8-3 OOC including 1-3 vs the top 50 (2-3 if PC finds their way back in) and go 14-4 in a weak conference and we are in? love the optimism here and hope you are all right, but I just don't see it.

Christ, BC already has a top 10 win and will have several chances to add more. does anyone see them getting in? there are a number of teams that are not going to make the tournament with 2 or more top 50s.

everyone seems to be focusing on how difficult our OOC is. last year was difficult too with true road games at Valpo (when they had Peters healthy), at Houston and at PC. No question that this year is more difficult, but that will be offset by a weak conference. no Dayton or VCU this year. other than RI, I don't think there is a team in the A10 without at least one bad loss. And no team other than RI has a good win.

If we don't win the tourney I won't be comfortable on Selection Sunday if we go 14-4 in conference. I think we need 16-2.

If we go 8-3 OOC and 14-4 in the A10 we're going to have an RPI in the low 30's. You need to give us a compelling argument why this team wouldn't be in with that resume and in reality needs to go 16-2
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it's going to be a long week.

We need to play the games......
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think 8-3 then 14-4 puts us at 22-7 even if we lose our first a10 game and finish at 22-8 I will sleep very comfortable
DH put a great OOC schedule together the RPI will be there don't sweat that scenario
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyRam86 wrote:so we go 8-3 OOC including 1-3 vs the top 50 (2-3 if PC finds their way back in) and go 14-4 in a weak conference and we are in? love the optimism here and hope you are all right, but I just don't see it.

Dude if you need to be talked off the ledge at this point in the season you should just fucking jump.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Blue Man wrote:

Dude if you need to be talked off the ledge at this point in the season you should just fucking jump.
++++++1

I mean really dude!!! Enjoy what Dan has produced and relax... Or better yet, the GWB is a great spot for your jump.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The A-10 went 5-5 in Saturday, but the performance was not that good as most of the wins came against decidedly inferior opposition.

Fordham was unimpressive in its win over the worst team in the NEC, St , Francis (BKN), Duquesne beat a bad Delaware State team, and George Mason won over NC Central.

On the plus side, St. Bonaventure beat the Ivy favorite, Yale, after trailing in the first half and UMass was able to get by a hobbled PC team.

Not noteworthy was the second half manhandling of VCU by Seton Hall, Penn State routing GW, and Houston trouncing Saint Louis.
Dayton losing at home to a so-so Penn team is the surest sign of a bad year for the conference.

Saint Joseph's was well behind Temple most of game though the Hawks came to life in the last two minutes, a case of too little too late.

Only Sunday games in A-10:

La Salle pays a visit to #4 Villanova. 1 PM. On FS1. The Explorers record will likely fall below .500

In a game re-scheduled due to yesterday's storm, James Madison at Richmond. 2 PM. The Spiders have lost six straight games with the only positive news being JMU is not a very good team.

A couple of mis-matches in games involving URI OOC opponents:

D2 North Greenville at Charleston. 2 PM

NAIA Milligan at UNC Asheville. 3:30 PM.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If you had been paying attention to the way the tournament selection committee selects their teams you wouldn't be worried.

You know the thing they care about the most? Quality wins and playing a tough schedule. We got both.

We would have to really shit the bed to keep ourselves out.

14-4 and we will be in easily. Maaaaybe not with a loss in the quarterfinal.

At this point though, how could you be anxious about how we will fare against the A-10? We are so clearly superior to every team I can't be too concerned.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyRam86 wrote:

will you still love it if at the end of the year, PC's struggles is the difference that keeps URI out of the tourney? if so, you are a PC hater, not a URI fan.
Then call me a non-fan, too. I hope the Fryizz lose every game from now until forever.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Did last year teach us nothing? Let's let the season play out a little before making any definitive statements about what will happen in March.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

Then call me a non-fan, too. I hope the Fryizz lose every game from now until forever.
I've never rooted for UMass, but I couldn't help myself yesterday. When PC loses, it always a good day.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!