Week #5 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

will you still love it if at the end of the year, PC's struggles is the difference that keeps URI out of the tourney? if so, you are a PC hater, not a URI fan.
Then call me a non-fan, too. I hope the Fryizz lose every game from now until forever.
I've never rooted for UMass, but I couldn't help myself yesterday. When PC loses, it always a good day.
Put me in the category of “non-URI fan” as well. What made the victory even better was that PC was favored by 4.5 points and that an A10 team defeated a BE Team.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

I too am not a fan then.

PC can go 0-30 and battle NJIT for last place in RPI for all I care.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Arizona State holding its own against Kansas on the Jayhawks home court, 40-37, Kansas at the half.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The Kansas-ASU game is pretty good Obes. Much more entertaining than the nfl today.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

La Salle made good game of this one played at the Wells Fargo Center. This was a nip and tuck affair and La Salle held the lead for a good time. Villanova finally got some separation when Donte DiVincenzo hit a three with 4 minutes remaining to give them a 5 point lead and La Salle could not regain the lead as they fell, 77-68. The Explorers' Pokey Powell was 0-7 from 3 point land and one wonders if he had hit his average performance on this stat, the end result may have been different.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote:The Kansas-ASU game is pretty good Obes. Much more entertaining than the nfl today.
That's going to happen when the NFL shows the...well....you know....
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Arizona State on 11-0 run to take a 61-52 lead with 11+ minutes left.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Now at a 15-0 run. The announcers are constantly talking about the scrappiness of Bobby Hurley and how that is reflected in his team,
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Kansas finally breaks the run, but ASU gets the bucket right back with a nice drive to the basket and a lay-up.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I love the logo on the front of ASU warm-up T's - GUARD U!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I get concerned when Bobby gets big recruits and goes 8-0, possibly 9-0 with a win against Kansas. Might say to Dan, go to a conference where the big recruits go. Life is easier.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I thought the same thing.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ASU just hit a critical three to take a 83-72 lead with 4 minutes left.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Great game. ASU is gonna win this one.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bye, Bye #2 Kansas. sorry reef.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This looks like it could be interesting...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ent-night/
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And as for the above comments, it would be very hard to look at the resources and facilities and other opportunities and not wonder. ASU has never really been a basketball school but that conference and football money is huge.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article. Nice to see Bobby have success at ASU

It will be interesting to see where his next job will be
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

reef wrote:Great article. Nice to see Bobby have success at ASU

Maybe the successor to Coach K???
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would not surprise me.

I think I said that after Bobby got Buffalo to the Dance.....

For them to be this good in only his 3rd year there.....that's pretty impressive, facilities and resources or not.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Mongo wrote:

Was thinking the same while watching the game...unless Coach K pulls a Boeheim and decides he's never going to leave...
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Mongo wrote:

If he did, I would have to stop despising the Duke program
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well one thing's for sure...we wouldn't play them again.....unless the NCAA tourney committee has other ideas.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

rambone 78 wrote:Well one thing's for sure...we wouldn't play them again.....unless the NCAA tourney committee has other ideas.
The committee is human and likes story lines. the way this year is progressing, URI could fall into a 7-10 or 6-11 game, and ASU slip in as a 2 or 3 seed. Put them in the same pod and see what the weekend game looks like.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:so we go 8-3 OOC including 1-3 vs the top 50 (2-3 if PC finds their way back in) and go 14-4 in a weak conference and we are in? love the optimism here and hope you are all right, but I just don't see it.

Christ, BC already has a top 10 win and will have several chances to add more. does anyone see them getting in? there are a number of teams that are not going to make the tournament with 2 or more top 50s.

everyone seems to be focusing on how difficult our OOC is. last year was difficult too with true road games at Valpo (when they had Peters healthy), at Houston and at PC. No question that this year is more difficult, but that will be offset by a weak conference. no Dayton or VCU this year. other than RI, I don't think there is a team in the A10 without at least one bad loss. And no team other than RI has a good win.

If we don't win the tourney I won't be comfortable on Selection Sunday if we go 14-4 in conference. I think we need 16-2.

hoping someone has a compelling argument to talk me off the ledge. :)
If we go 8-3 OOC and 14-4 in the A10 we're going to have an RPI in the low 30's. You need to give us a compelling argument why this team wouldn't be in with that resume and in reality needs to go 16-2

My compelling argument is made above. First off our RPI is already at 24. I don't see any win on the horizon that can raise it and hard to believe that 14-4 in conference only drops us 10 spots, but I have no idea how those algorithms work. PC's RPI is now 60. Maybe they move back into the top 50, but if they don't, we go 1-3 against top competition. Last year we had 1 top 50 OOC win and losses to PC and Duke (not sure if Houston got into the top 50 by end of year). So the difference is we played one more top 50 OOC game this year and lost and that makes us a LOCK? Also, last year we added 3 more top 50 games in conference and went 1-2. This year we won't add any.

Sum total---last year we go 2-5 against top 50 going into the A10 tourney and despite what the head of the selection committee said publicly, in my opinion we were no lock until we won the final. This year we will be 1-3 (2-3 if PC moves up) and we are lock?
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: Sum total---last year we go 2-5 against top 50 going into the A10 tourney and despite what some here think, we were no lock until we won the final. This year we will be 1-3 (2-3 if PC moves up) and we are lock?
You should really amend this last part to say "despite what the head of the selection committee said publicly" if you really think he was lying. It's disingenuous to claim that this is just something that people here "think" when we are simply going off what the people in charge of picking the teams said.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: My compelling argument is made above. First off our RPI is already at 24. I don't see any win on the horizon that can raise it and hard to believe that 14-4 in conference only drops us 10 spots, but I have no idea how those algorithms work. PC's RPI is now 60. Maybe they move back into the top 50, but if they don't, we go 1-3 against top competition. Last year we had 1 top 50 OOC win and losses to PC and Duke (not sure if Houston got into the top 50 by end of year). So the difference is we played one more top 50 OOC game this year and lost and that makes us a LOCK? Also, last year we added 3 more top 50 games in conference and went 1-2. This year we won't add any.
Now for this part of your post, you don't need to know much about how the algorithms work to see how these things could play out. Check out RPIForecast.com and you can change/pick the outcome of any games and see what it would do to the RPI. So you state that its hard to believe that going 14-4 in conference only drops us 10 spots, but here is just one scenario for you. Win the rest of our OOC games, go 14-4 in conference with the losses being at Dayton, at VCU, at St. Bonaventure and at Davidson and our RPI actually jumps up to 16.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote: Sum total---last year we go 2-5 against top 50 going into the A10 tourney and despite what some here think, we were no lock until we won the final. This year we will be 1-3 (2-3 if PC moves up) and we are lock?
You should really amend this last part to say "despite what the head of the selection committee said publicly" if you really think he was lying. It's disingenuous to claim that this is just something that people here "think" when we are simply going off what the people in charge of picking the teams said.

okay...I never saw or heard the quote myself. that's why I phrased as I did. I will amend the post.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote: My compelling argument is made above. First off our RPI is already at 24. I don't see any win on the horizon that can raise it and hard to believe that 14-4 in conference only drops us 10 spots, but I have no idea how those algorithms work. PC's RPI is now 60. Maybe they move back into the top 50, but if they don't, we go 1-3 against top competition. Last year we had 1 top 50 OOC win and losses to PC and Duke (not sure if Houston got into the top 50 by end of year). So the difference is we played one more top 50 OOC game this year and lost and that makes us a LOCK? Also, last year we added 3 more top 50 games in conference and went 1-2. This year we won't add any.
Now for this part of your post, you don't need to know much about how the algorithms work to see how these things could play out. Check out RPIForecast.com and you can change/pick the outcome of any games and see what it would do to the RPI. So you state that its hard to believe that going 14-4 in conference only drops us 10 spots, but here is just one scenario for you. Win the rest of our OOC games, go 14-4 in conference with the losses being at Dayton, at VCU, at St. Bonaventure and at Davidson and our RPI actually jumps up to 16.

I just did it and you are right. This totally shocks me. I would concede we are a lock unless we totally F up the conference.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah DH does a great job with scheduling always puts us in the best spot to make an at large in case we need it
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We seem to think we are going to just breeze thru these next three games and go 8-3 non-conference. We have significant injury issues, and our bigs are struggling. Discussing at-large bid possibilities at this juncture seems to be more than a little bit premature.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We're in a better place than we were last year at this time, so it's ok to be positive.
3 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

UCH21377 wrote:We seem to think we are going to just breeze thru these next three games and go 8-3 non-conference. We have significant injury issues, and our bigs are struggling. Discussing at-large bid possibilities at this juncture seems to be more than a little bit premature.
Disagree. I'd bet my house (dorm room) that we win these next three games by at least 10 points apiece.

Berry and Cyril won't struggle against cupcake teams, and we can expect our guards and defense as a whole to overwhelm these teams.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

UCH21377 wrote:We seem to think we are going to just breeze thru these next three games and go 8-3 non-conference. We have significant injury issues, and our bigs are struggling. Discussing at-large bid possibilities at this juncture seems to be more than a little bit premature.
I certainly don't take anything for granted when it comes to the rest of the OOC schedule, anything is possible, but there is no doubt that they are all games we absolutely should win.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The hardest of the 3,should be FLa GC they lost twice to a very good Middle Tenn team and they just beat Tex Arl who is solid
0 x