12/6 | Alabama Crimson Tide | 8:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/6 | Alabama Crimson Tide | 8:00PM

Unread post by adam914 »

Disappointing game to say the least. Missed opportunity as it was very winnable.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....woulda, coulda, shoulda.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Wasted opportunity.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Smart coaching to foul Dowtin. We didn't deserve this one.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

shocker, another 1 possession game outside of the Northeast where we get shafted on FT attempts...

tough to get mad though, defense was insane again. we have our own version of Havoc now. good to know we'd have won going away if EC played
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I am sorry - horrible effort

Honestly - no heart for too long of a time

So frustrated
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

And it's over. Not our best night (to say the least), but nice comeback to tie the game late after being down by 13. Just couldn't get over the hump. Not exactly a highlight reel game.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Can't be putting Dowtin in position to be taking big Fts or shots right now.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You will not win many games when you can't put the ball in the basket. Atrocious shooting tonight. Game was there for the taking but URI failed to get it done. Alabama is not very good. Missed opportunity.
6 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Frustrating game.

Sick of the lack of execution out of this team. Bama isn’t too good. The rotation is handicapping Rhody right now.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm not mad, but I am disappointed. Easily winnable game and we played (I hope) our worst game of the year. Just a completely frustrating night.

My biggest concern here is that I just don't think Alabam is very good after watching them. I think of the "big 5" teams on the OOC schedule, they turned out to be by far the weakest and losing this game may turn out to be a blemish rather than a nothing.

After the five games, I'd rank them UVA, Nevada, Seton Hall, PC, Alabama, FWIW.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

this game was UGLY! what happened to berry? did he play at all in the 2nd half? dowtin? UGH! when EC comes back dowtin needs to sit.

let's hope for a repeat from last year. went on a run after the Fordham game.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

41-11 in free throws? But rhody takes about 30 more field goal attempts? Crazy game.
That is the type of stats that will make you sick.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bama was without Sexton for almost the entire game. He's sorta an "impact player" type. We didn't see the real Bama but we also didn't show them any kind of ability to shoot.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Played ugly but we never gave up.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

25 for 71 Shooting (that is not a typo) isn't going to get it done.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT WHY COULDNT WE BEAT BAMA
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Very winnable if there was passable shooting but damn these are the most frustrating losses. 71 goddamn FG attempts for 64 points ugh
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

17 poimt edge on free throws!
Alabama got FIFTY rebounds.
When did anyone get 50 rebounds against us?
Dowtin, 2-11, 1-3 free throws.
Garrett and Fatts were our best players tonight.
Nobody else did much, besides foul out.
Very disappointing, in what turned out
to be a winnable games, despite the free throws and rebounding.

PS Bama has some of the creepiest looking players ever.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Tough loss our weekness in a paint is glaring both on offense and defense...

I think the biggest takeaway however was these announcers reminding me of how happy I am I wasn't born in the south
6 x
Clapton is God
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

tough loss--never quit--this break will do them good
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Good news: JG is back to the old JG, his shot has been looking real good lately

Bad News: Close your eyes when Jeff has the ball. It's a horror show out there.

Also, our interior defense and offense is what it is for the forseeable future, and when we're as cold shooting as we were for most of tonight, taking L's will most likely be the result.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not mad, but I am disappointed. Easily winnable game and we played (I hope) our worst game of the year. Just a completely frustrating night.

My biggest concern here is that I just don't think Alabam is very good after watching them. I think of the "big 5" teams on the OOC schedule, they turned out to be by far the weakest and losing this game may turn out to be a blemish rather than a nothing.

Yea this is the fourth time I’ve watched Alabama play and I’ve not been impressed with any of their games. Overall though I think they’re at the very least an NIT team so losing to them on the road won’t hurt us. As you said, disappointing to lose a very winnable game.
Last edited by josephski 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

When Terrell comes out of his slump, URI will be extra dangerous. Rhody really should've won this game if they capitalized on even a few of those turnovers in the first half. This team has so much potential. Once these guys have a chance to go through this season and build more confidence...NCAA Tournament teams watch out!
Last edited by The Dude 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Please don't go to the FTs. We beat ourselves. Couldn't hit the side of a barn for more than half the game. Losing by only 4 with that offensive effort is the silver lining, and a testament to our D. More good experience to battle test us as the year progresses, but so frustrating we couldn't capitalize on our opportunities. Oh well, onto the next one.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

We just lost to a team that shot 2-11(18%) from 3, turned it over 24 times, and MISSED 15 free throws .... let that sink in for a minute ... good thing we are playing in a down A10 this year .... There was nothing positive to take away from this game and extremely disappointing following a good effort against pc. This Alabama team is not very good, young, but not good, a wasted opportunity tonight. Very concerned with our bigs, awful on both ends of the floor.

And those bitching about the officiating and the free throws, are you watching the game? We foul ALOT, its how Hurley's teams have played since he's been here. The refs suck every game, but we foul on most possessions, we're always in the bonus early in the half, plus the fact that we are a perimeter team who doesn't drive to the basket in the half court.
4 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Berry ZERO, Preston 4, Langevine 2.
They had a combined 10 rebounds.
Plus poor defense.
Two Bama guys with career rebound nights,
one with career scoring high.
Again, our biggest and likely season long,
biggest problem.
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not mad, but I am disappointed. Easily winnable game and we played (I hope) our worst game of the year. Just a completely frustrating night.

While Alabama didn't seem impressive, they should still have a top 75 RPI. Losing a top quadrant game on the road without one of your top players isn't going to be considered a blemish.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I agree that Bama did not look good but lets also keep in mind they were missing Sexton who is by far their best player for 70% of the game because of that injury.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

They played tough, size hurt us but I liked a lot of what I saw tonight. We need EC with guys in foul trouble. Not a bad loss, next.
0 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Shinze88 wrote:We just lost to a team that shot 2-11(18%) from 3, turned it over 24 times, and MISSED 15 free throws .... let that sink in for a minute ... good thing we are playing in a down A10 this year .... There was nothing positive to take away from this game and extremely disappointing following a good effort against pc. This Alabama team is not very good, young, but not good, a wasted opportunity tonight. Very concerned with our bigs, awful on both ends of the floor.

And those bitching about the officiating and the free throws, are you watching the game? We foul ALOT, its how Hurley's teams have played since he's been here. The refs suck every game, but we foul on most possessions, we're always in the bonus early in the half, plus the fact that we are a perimeter team who doesn't drive to the basket in the half court.
are YOU watching the game? we have never been a perimeter team under Hurley. Our guards are all dribble drive players that routinely go to the paint.

The issue with FT is legit, because it only happens when they leave the Northeast. and it isnt how many FT against us, its the disparity in the totals. No way in hell we should be taking 30 less FT than our opponent given our offensive style.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Shinze88 wrote:We just lost to a team that shot 2-11(18%) from 3, turned it over 24 times, and MISSED 15 free throws .... let that sink in for a minute ... good thing we are playing in a down A10 this year .... There was nothing positive to take away from this game and extremely disappointing following a good effort against pc. This Alabama team is not very good, young, but not good, a wasted opportunity tonight. Very concerned with our bigs, awful on both ends of the floor.

Wait...Rhody has bigs?
2 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Ugly game, but I’m not all that worried. Unbelievable FT disparity yet Bama still only won by 4. We beat ourselves tonight. We’ll pull it together. The A-10 is having a down year, we get EC back which will hopefully reduce Dowtin’s minutes (sorry, he stinks so far) and we still have a few nice OOC wins with no bad losses on our resume. Everything is still in front of us.

GO RHODY!!!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

We're on to the College of Charleston...TP, can you start the threat? ;)

(It's going to be a long 10 days off!)
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

I’m not going to complain about the game. We sucked..end of story. Forget about it and move on.

But..what the f does Cyril think he’s going to do when he gets the ball in the post position and then makes himself the size of a point guard lowering his shoulder and putting the ball on the ground and getting in the worst position stuck under the rim? It happens time and time again it’s pathetic to watch.
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Very unimpressed by Alabama and even less impressed by URI. Any outsider watching this game
would probably think that URI is a very overrated team because that is the way they looked. In the
first half they constantly forced up shots and never went up strong around the basket. Instead, they
tried to throw up circus shots or out of range threes. They played on offense as if the first thirty-five
minutes didn't count, then played the last five with a frenzy when it was basically too late. They couldn't
hit wide open threes all night long. and Dowtin's 1-4 at the free throw line cinched for them. The effort
was there, but apparently they were too tight and couldn't relax until they had taken themselves sufficiently
out of the game. Then at the end with nothing to lose they hit some shots. It reminds me of the way they
looked when the seniors were freshman. They looked tight and scared for the first 15 minutes which hurt
their confidence as they watched missed shot after missed shot. Only Jarvis played with any confidence
until the end when JT decided to show up five minutes too late. Nevada, Seton Hall and Providence are
all superior teams to Alabama. It hurts because this was a respected team that they could and should beat.
Oh well, they are just where i expected them to be at this point in the season, so play on.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh very frustrating game to watch

The foul disparity was a joke

Dowtin outside shot killing us

Jarvis playing great too bad he missed that open 3 for the tie though

Just sucks that we are so thin up front when we play big teams

Let's get EC back it can only help
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

25 for 71

yep 71 shots!!!!!

yuk

No quit in our Rams though which bodes well.

Sexton came back in it was just as advertised, tries to take over and rest of team stands around. Almost got us the win. Couple more free throw bricks was all we needed.

Good tape for the coaching staff. Lucky for us PC wasn't smart enough to pound the post. Unfortunately this tape will be viewed by opponents going forward and it will be a season long problem. Of course we make layups we win anyway.

I hate missed layups.

Wimp Sanderson folksy commentary was mostly bang on all night. Hopefully staff watches the tape and listens to him too, a lot can be learned.

watchESPN via iPhone/lightning cord into my HD TV continues to be spectacular.

Good night all!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This was just one of those games. When you have the height disadvantage we have against a high P5 team like 'bama, then you have to have a good shooting night, at least meet the season's average, but that didn't happen tonight. No excuses, other than Dowtin has become a liability.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We went 2-2 against Seton Hall, Virginia, Providence, and Bama without EC and a banged up Cyril...We played a very bad game on the road and still almost won.

We will be fine...
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote:We went 2-2 against Seton Hall, Virginia, Providence, and Bama without EC and a banged up Cyril...We played a very bad game on the road and still almost won.

We will be fine...
Yep, this. The way we lost this game and how poorly we played is beyond frustrating, but it doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things.
Last edited by adam914 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unless EC plays center,
he's just adding to the overflow
of guards,
That means less time for everyone else,
and all standing around, while EC
is dribbling.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote:This was just one of those games. When you have the height disadvantage we have against a high P5 team like 'bama, then you have to have a good shooting night, at least meet the season's average, but that didn't happen tonight. No excuses, other than Dowtin has become a liability.
And, how the heck did that happen? He was better last year....
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Okay, if we win the rest of the OOC schedule, which is doable, we end up at 8-3 with 2 top 50 RPI wins in the OOC. We would all take that at the beginning of the season.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

are YOU watching the game? we have never been a perimeter team under Hurley. Our guards are all dribble drive players that routinely go to the paint.

The issue with FT is legit, because it only happens when they leave the Northeast. and it isnt how many FT against us, its the disparity in the totals. No way in hell we should be taking 30 less FT than our opponent given our offensive style.

Re-read what I said..I never said we've been a perimeter team under Hurley, what i said we is we have always been an aggressive fouling team since Hurley has been here. We foul ALOT, and when you foul ALOT, the other team is going to shoot many more free throws than us. You'd think people would pick up on this when it happens game after game and yet we still blame the refs. Our team THIS YEAR is a perimeter oriented team who rely's on jump shots, how many times did we have a 1 shot trip up the floor while jacking up a shot with nobody near the basket for a rebound, i'm sure since you watch the games you've noticed we dont really have an interior presence we can dump the ball into.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhody12 wrote:I’m not going to complain about the game. We sucked..end of story. Forget about it and move on.

But..what the f does Cyril think he’s going to do when he gets the ball in the post position and then makes himself the size of a point guard lowering his shoulder and putting the ball on the ground and getting in the worst position stuck under the rim? It happens time and time again it’s pathetic to watch.
Cyril isn’t good. We projected him to be good off of one game last year (Oregon).
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:This was just one of those games. When you have the height disadvantage we have against a high P5 team like 'bama, then you have to have a good shooting night, at least meet the season's average, but that didn't happen tonight. No excuses, other than Dowtin has become a liability.
And, how the heck did that happen? He was better last year....
Sophomore slump? I’m honestly not sure but I feel like last year Dowtin was always thinking pass first unless an obvious scoring opportunity was in front of him. This year he looks like he’s forcing things a lot more on offense and he really doesn’t have the offensive game to be doing that.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We need to limit our fouls. I know our havoc style on and always playing man is going to result in more fouls but we are just giving up too many points at the line. We also need Cyril and Berry to improve because without them contributing we become easier to defend.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Rhody83 wrote:
rhody12 wrote:I’m not going to complain about the game. We sucked..end of story. Forget about it and move on.

Cyril isn’t good. We projected him to be good off of one game last year (Oregon).
I'm not ready to give up on him yet, I think he's not fully healthy, he also had a great game last year against Cincinnati, he has the tools to be a good serviceable big for us, especially in the A10
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Once again the best guard on the court was Fatts. His minutes will keep going up. Dowtin better figure it out or his minutes will be going away once EC comes back.

Garrett needs to stop turning the ball over. He also needs a lesson on how to tie his shoes.

You can no longer call our big men, big men. They aren't by any definition of the words. It will eventually cost us big this season at the end of the year. The coach needs to start putting in Laysarrd and Tertsea. I know they can't walk and chew gum but if we want to be successful at the end of the year we need another big to step up. Those are the only two left. Might as well give them a few minutes here and there to see if they can contribute.

I called it with the refs. They were bad. Our shooting was worse.
4 x