12/6 | Alabama Crimson Tide | 8:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Re: 12/6 | Alabama Crimson Tide | 8:00PM

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

adam914 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:an at large was no guarantee going into the VCU game, but either way, making one of the last four spots is not what we projected for this team going into this season.
This is not true. The spokesman for the committee said URI was in no matter what happened in the championship game. If we lost we would have gone to Dayton for the first four. When we won we bumped Providence to that spot.
Yeah this, they definitely said we were in no matter what happened in the championship game.
I trust the NCAA's word as much as I trust Donald Trump's.
3 x
'No Mercy.'
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Why on earth would they make up a lie about saying they had URI already in the day before the A-0 final?

There's nothing to gain by it, they did not need to say anything at all and it could be easily refuted by one of the other people in the room.
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

EGram wrote:Why on earth would they make up a lie about saying they had URI already in the day before the A-0 final?

There's nothing to gain by it, they did not need to say anything at all and it could be easily refuted by one of the other people in the room.
I don't believe them. If we lost by 15+ to VCU in the final, do you believe Rhody is still the last in? I think it's weird they said we were in no matter what happened on Sunday being we were slotted for the play-in game. An #11 seed is not a lock the day before the selection.

And if say Rhody was out if they lost, follow-up question is, which team would have been in? I don't think they want to answer that. Safe play to say Rhody was already in. Maybe their thinking. The NCAA is not to be trusted ever.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That's some wild conspiratorial nonsense. And what hell does it have to do with anything, anyways? What are we talking about here?
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Nonsense that's what is being talked about. Old news. Who really cares at this point............
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:That's some wild conspiratorial nonsense. And what hell does it have to do with anything, anyways? What are we talking about here?
I was just responding to a discussion about last year's selection. If Rhody lost to VCU, we weren't getting in last year no matter what the NCAA press secretary said. I called the first round matchup and location in the thread prior to the selection show. Lucky guess.. right. I heard 3 teams were in the mix, but it turns out only 2 were legit. After beating VCU, we were considered for the #10 against St. Mary's, but the committee didn't think highly of us even though we swept VCU 2-0 by 10 and 7 points. A conference champion seeded 11 and a lock on Saturday? Just adding what I know which I guess is nonsense.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With complete healthy team I like starters
JT
JD
EC
AB
CL
Then bring Stan Jarvis and Fatts off the bench
Preston 9th man
Akele 10th man
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote:With complete healthy team I like starters
JT
JD
EC
AB
CL
Then bring Stan Jarvis and Fatts off the bench
Preston 9th man
Akele 10th man
..... just asking......., where’s Jarvis G?.......did I miss something?......I did, my bad, sorry, reading is fundamental
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sweep The Leg wrote:
TruePoint wrote:That's some wild conspiratorial nonsense. And what hell does it have to do with anything, anyways? What are we talking about here?
I was just responding to a discussion about last year's selection. If Rhody lost to VCU, we weren't getting in last year no matter what the NCAA press secretary said. I called the first round matchup and location in the thread prior to the selection show. Lucky guess.. right. I heard 3 teams were in the mix, but it turns out only 2 were legit. After beating VCU, we were considered for the #10 against St. Mary's, but the committee didn't think highly of us even though we swept VCU 2-0 by 10 and 7 points. A conference champion seeded 11 and a lock on Saturday? Just adding what I know which I guess is nonsense.

1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:Folks need to chill out a bit. If it's one thing I learned last year it's that calling game must-win in December doesn't mean much. The season was suppose to be over a whole bunch of times last year. I thought that myself. Just a reminder, we won the A-10 and did pretty well in the NCAAT. This team is fine, enjoy the ride.
Yes, the season was "over" multiple times last year, as late as, and never more so than on Feb 15 with that classic dump v Fordham.
Talk about a lesson in 'wait and see' and 'it ain't over 'til it's over...'
Let's not rely on winning the A-10 tournament to make the dance. Crazy things happen in conference tournaments and the #1 seed a lot of times don't win.

Rhody has a OOC resume better than several P5 teams let alone mid-majors.
those P5 teams will have plenty of opportunities to build their resumes in conference. Rhody will not.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

okay...I've never heard or read a statement by a selection committee member saying we were in the play in game even with a loss to VCU. but let's assume that statement is true. is that what fans here want to rely on for confidence that 2 top 50 wins this year (the same as we had last year going into the VCU game) is good enough? that we are a lock to get one of those final 4 spots in what was considered to be a weak bubble? you won't be squirming on selection sunday? I think it is insane to think we are a lock to make the tournament unless we totally roll the A10 with 1 or 2 losses. while our schedule difficulty looks great now, it isn't going to look like this in February. On top of that, unless PC starts getting their act together, that may wind up not being a top 50 win.

A win against VA, Nev, or Ala would have made a huge difference. That coupled with a run through the A10 and an A10 championship likely would have set us up for a 6 seed and a realistic chance of a run to the second weekend. Yes...we played a difficult OOC and 8-3 is nothing to sneer at with the level of competition and the injuries, but as a fan, I am not content. Especially when we were in 2 of those 3 losses with a few minutes left.

Let me be clear, I'm not disappointed in the team or their efforts....just the results.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Yes, the season was "over" multiple times last year, as late as, and never more so than on Feb 15 with that classic dump v Fordham.
Talk about a lesson in 'wait and see' and 'it ain't over 'til it's over...'
Let's not rely on winning the A-10 tournament to make the dance. Crazy things happen in conference tournaments and the #1 seed a lot of times don't win.

Rhody has a OOC resume better than several P5 teams let alone mid-majors.
those P5 teams will have plenty of opportunities to build their resumes in conference. Rhody will not.
Note the "OOC" part.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

Way to be a condensending d-bag. You never let me down. Do you have a source that knows otherwise? Do tell.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sweep The Leg wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

Way to be a condensending d-bag. You never let me down. Do you have a source that knows otherwise? Do tell.
First of all, you do not need to come with the personal attacks just because someone disagrees with your opinion on a message board. So settle down.

Second of all, you are (for some reason that is not at all clear to me) arguing about some shit that literally could not be more irrelevant and you're doing it by claiming that everything everyone has ever reported about URI's position relative to the bubble last year is actually wrong because you have a secret source that told you that. Not only do I point blank not believe you, but I also don't care because it is not in any way relevant to this year.
3 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

First of all, you do not need to come with the personal attacks just because someone disagrees with your opinion on a message board. So settle down.

Second of all, you are (for some reason that is not at all clear to me) arguing about some shit that literally could not be more irrelevant and you're doing it by claiming that everything everyone has ever reported about URI's position relative to the bubble last year is actually wrong because you have a secret source that told you that. Not only do I point blank not believe you, but I also don't care because it is not in any way relevant to this year.
Personal attack edacate from you? Precious.

I was providing input in a discussion about a topic which I had information on like hundreds of others, if you don't think it's relevant then don't comment on it. Simple as that. Why respond with jackass comment like "nonsense" and lame NPH gifs. You have some sort issue with me, that's fine..

You can choose to believe me or not. This is an open forum to express opinions and knowledge, but I guess it's for a select few.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Hey man, I don't know what you're referring to but I would be surprised if you could find examples of me making personal attacks on other posters (other than one guy who comes here to institigate with the entire board, which I do on behalf of all of us and not just myself). You're allowed to say whatever you want here, but you don't have a right to have what you say go unchallenged. If it's wrong and irrelevant, I'm allowed to say that.

I have no issue with you, and don't recall ever arguing with you before, so I'm not sure I understand where you're getting that I have an issue with you. I have an issue with what you're saying here. You can respond to that if you want, but I think getting hysterical about it is unnecessary.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:Hey man, I don't know what you're referring to but I would be surprised if you could find examples of me making personal attacks on other posters (other than one guy who comes here to institigate with the entire board, which I do on behalf of all of us and not just myself). You're allowed to say whatever you want here, but you don't have a right to have what you say go unchallenged. If it's wrong and irrelevant, I'm allowed to say that.

I have no issue with you, and don't recall ever arguing with you before, so I'm not sure I understand where you're getting that I have an issue with you. I have an issue with what you're saying here. You can respond to that if you want, but I think getting hysterical about it is unnecessary.

It's the tone man. Reread the Truepoint is a Pompous Asshat thread. They're a few people who felt the same way.

I'm not hysterical, just a little taken back is all. Sometimes tone is hard to interpret, but it's a hammer to the groin subtle at times.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

In our best starting lineup I like JD starting over JG
Even though Jarvis is playing better right now I think Jeff offers more upside at the point and I like Jarvis energy off bench
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Jeff will shoot less and hopefully pass more once EC is back....that worked pretty well last season.

I though JT was finally becoming a consistent shooter.....nope

Fatts will play more and more as this season goes on.....just my take here.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

I'm a supporter of having Jarvis start over Jeff. This isn't a knock on Jeff's ability - he's a great player - but he's been struggling recently as opposed to Jarvis who has been red hot. Plus Jarvis is a senior who has worked very hard over his career here and definitely deserves it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Jeff is having the "sophomore slump".......hopefully he breaks out of it soon.

Maybe he will before Fatts hits the "freshman wall"......cliché time here......
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......we need the Jarvis perimeter shooting, where Jeff’s shooting has been off......the more PT for Jarvis the better the team results will be.....maybe work in EC off the bench when he returns.....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The ball moves better with Jeff at the point.....so it's a trade off......if JG can be more aggressive moving forward with the ball [which he can] then he should see more time....something has to give with EC back....I can see EC playing the 3 on offense more...we need his rebounding.

Playing the 6 guard shuffle is a challenge...ask Dan.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:an at large was no guarantee going into the VCU game, but either way, making one of the last four spots is not what we projected for this team going into this season.
This is not true. The spokesman for the committee said URI was in no matter what happened in the championship game. If we lost we would have gone to Dayton for the first four. When we won we bumped Providence to that spot.
to be honest, in my opinion, our win over VCU should have bumped Marquette, not providence. Really Marquette shouldn't have been in over S. Illinois.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
EGram wrote:Why on earth would they make up a lie about saying they had URI already in the day before the A-0 final?

I don't believe them. If we lost by 15+ to VCU in the final, do you believe Rhody is still the last in? I think it's weird they said we were in no matter what happened on Sunday being we were slotted for the play-in game. An #11 seed is not a lock the day before the selection.

And if say Rhody was out if they lost, follow-up question is, which team would have been in? I don't think they want to answer that. Safe play to say Rhody was already in. Maybe their thinking. The NCAA is not to be trusted ever.
Our game was at 1pm Sunday, ending about 3pm or so. The selection show is that 6pm. They pretty much know who is in/out on Sunday morning. Mainly a matter of seeding at that point, unless there's a possibility of a team who's only shot of being in is to win on Sunday, then the committee knows already by that point. So on 1pm on Sunday, the committee already knew we were in, just a matter of seed.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I still like Jeff starting over Jarvis but that's only to start , whoever is playing better during the game should be in at crunch time. I actually like Jarvis in at the end cuz he shoots better from 3 and at the line
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jeff when he is playing right is a better facilitator of offense for others, and protects the ball (enabling good possessions) at an impeccable rate.
That said, Jarvis is the better scorer and far better perimeter shooter. And right now is playing better.

The advantage of inserting JG is that you break apart Jarvis and Fatts. While there are advantages to having them out there together, there are also defensive liabilities with a thin front court and 2 guys under 6 foot in the game. Swapping Jarvis for Jeff in starting lineup mitigates that.

Jarvis
Jared
EC
Stan
Cyril or Berry

Fatts for Jarvis
Jeff for any of Jared, EC, Stan
Berry for Cyril

Preston and Akele are wild cards based on matchup, game flow.

I also wouldn't mind an occasional situational lineup of Fatts, Terrell, Stan, Akele and Preston where we increase pressure and full court trap/press. That lineup could create a lot of turnovers. Though Dan doesn't seem inclined to want to employ a full court trap in his time here. I do think this team in particular, will have to rely on turning defense to offense to win. Pts off turnovers. Key stat for us.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Frustrating year so far.

Not to say there have not been some frustrating moments, last night chief among them, but its hard for me to understand what criteria you are using to characterize the year as a whole in that way.
Easy for me. I hoped uri would be a top 25-20ish team. What are we a top 35-40??

Well we’ve been that many times over the years.

Just hoped we would put together a wire to wire great year. Max out the potential of such a talented team.

I feel strongly playing 4 guards most of the game with 1 as a back up handicaps uri. They all get in foul trouble and exhausted. The front court guys don’t have to be anything but serviceable and take some of the effort off of the plate for the guards.

Not frustrating year like the New York giants, which I think people associate with that phrase.

Frustrating just in the sense I wanted a banner year, but this year looks more like last year if we are lucky.

Too much hero ball on the road.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......frontcourt CL injury, Berry ups and downs, Preston so far disappointment(my opine), Akele not contributing much, the bench Mikes just that......for me all are areas in need of improvement for a banner year......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hold on a minute....Not that I have anything invested, but this has not been a frustrating season for the Giants at all. If your team is out of it less than a third of the way into the season, there's nothing to be frustrated about...you just move on. It would be way more frustrating if they were one or two games under .500... This has been a lost season pretty much from the get-go for the Jints, they haven't come close to good enough to be frustrating.

And for Rhody hoops, not frustrated at all...doing better at this point than I figured they would be, Dan will have this team getting better all season, they've shown they can play with just about anyone, and it will get funner and funner every week.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

For me last year was much more of a disappointment in the non conference. We played a weaker schedule and still only produced one good win with Hass, KI, and EC in the starting lineup.. This year's team had to find a new identity. We lose our star player right before our hardest stretch of games all year. We could have collapsed, but instead we shocked everyone on this board and upset a very good Seton Hall team. I remember people on here saying we had no chance against Seton Hall... Dan Hurley proved you wrong.

We then beat our rival who we haven't beat in 7 fucking years... Both games without EC and a healthy Cyril! I honestly thought our two best wins would of been PC and Vanderbilt after losing EC and Cyril.

It's extremely hard to win on the road in college basketball. I know it's tough for some of you to believe, but it's even harder when you don't have your star senior guard and your best big men healthy. This non conference could have been much worse.

Dan Hurley won me over last year and I will not doubt him again. We will be going back to the tournament this year.
9 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Frustrating just in the sense I wanted a banner year, but this year looks more like last year if we are lucky.
Last year we got two banners. We're solidly on track for at least one more this year
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Both the Bama and Nevada games were like tied in the last minute or two. Then a guy with an average of 6ppg takes over a game because we play him with a guard.

That’s frustrating to me. I think they’re capable of winning those games. Playing to their potential.

Beating pc great. That’s no feather to me. They just lost to umass. That streak should never go so long in either direction. I don’t care how much they spend on their basketballs and Ed Cooley’s suits.

It’s a great team. I just would like them to put together one of these magical seasons. Like you see northern Iowa or the shockers. 1-2 losses ooc and then 1-2 losses in conference. Happens every year to a handful of non p5 teams. Just not here.

Now do I go to all the games and keep season tickets?yes.

I’m sure Dan Hurley feels like they’re a few moments or decisions away from being undefeated like I do. Again the two road games were tied at the end and 1 guy broke them down against Virginia and a few bonehead plays and missing easy stuff killed them.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote:For me last year was much more of a disappointment in the non conference. We played a weaker schedule and still only produced one good win with Hass, KI, and EC in the starting lineup.. This year's team had to find a new identity. We lose our star player right before our hardest stretch of games all year. We could have collapsed, but instead we shocked everyone on this board and upset a very good Seton Hall team. I remember people on here saying we had no chance against Seton Hall... Dan Hurley proved you wrong.

We then beat our rival who we haven't beat in 7 fucking years... Both games without EC and a healthy Cyril! I honestly thought our two best wins would of been PC and Vanderbilt after losing EC and Cyril.

It's extremely hard to win on the road in college basketball. I know it's tough for some of you to believe, but it's even harder when you don't have your star senior guard and your best big men healthy. This non conference could have been much worse.

Dan Hurley won me over last year and I will not doubt him again. We will be going back to the tournament this year.
+100000000

Anyone who has a different take than this is dumb.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Swpb I think we’re ok. We should be 7-1. It’s ok no bad losses tho winnable game opportunities slipped past.

I’m ready to fire up my 15-3 Talk!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. TP complaining that somebody is name calling on the board. Ha. What do they say about people in glass houses? This is classic hypocrisy on your part. Spare me.
0 x