12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: 12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by josephski »

theblueram wrote:
josephski wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
How were they embarrassing? I thought they were key in this win

1. During the national anthem one student yelled "Fuck PC" three times during the national anthem. For a fanbase who loves to take shots at other teams for having no class that's about as classless as you can get.
Was this before or after the pc fan yelled go friars during the National Anthem?
I didn't hear the PC fan yell "go friars" but the first time this kid yelled "fuck pc" was literally within the first couple words of the anthem so I'm guessing before.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bill Koch can take a goddam hike, just make sure he takes Akele with him too.

Don’t need either of em.

What a win! Go Rhody!
4 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I dvr'd this game and saved the best for last after the B's and C's wins.

What a team! Stifling D, clutch shooting, outstanding free throws, and as deep a bench as I can remember. Oh yeah, the coach and that freshman guard aren't too bad either.

Man, is this going to be a hell of a fun season! :lol:
1 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Awesome clip from the post game presser with Fatts. “I had a ball.”
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

And now that I've seen Fatts do that under the basket circus shot several times, it's not a circus shot anymore.
4 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow!
Just back from the RC and International Pockets.
What a great show by our guys!
Jarvis and Fatts completely took Cartright out of the game.
His only 2 points came near the end.
When Fatts came in in the first half, he turned the game around.
He caused a slew of turnovers and generally drove
PC nuts.
He is the real thing, and a star in the making.
Dan made all the right moves, today.
EZ Buckets did a superb job of getting everyone going.
The students were rocking the place.
What a great atmposphere!
My comeback to the RC was made complete by
seeing my Keaney Blue friends at half time, and the win.
Does this make us number one in the Big East at 2-0?
So Bill Koch, SUCK IT!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
19 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

sooooo mad that my attempt to download the stream of the game got cut off and there was no internet at the game so I couldnt get it back :( Was looking forward to rewatching this one.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Any links to interviews? I see lots of pics of interviews on Twitter but no links.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Search @RhodyMBB and the interviews will be there
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote:Whatever happened between Stan and PC players at that concert was certainly part of the on court banter. He seemed to enjoy this win as much as us fans. Clearly he was playing with a chip.
I thought that was a secret...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:All this talk about Koch.

Back to the game.

My X factor key to the game is Fatts.

If he can make a few 3's, and slow down Cartwright....URI will win.

Hopefully Dan gives him enough of an opportunity to do so....especially if JG struggles.
......exactly, the big game stage is not gonna rattle him.......think he will make major impacts, both ends of floor......
....yeah what we said, nice call Bone......This is my post game post.....just got home, will read all the others.....Great outcome for the program, yes just one game.....had sense Dan was relieved.....thanks to all.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Fantastic!!! That's what a home court advantage looks like... Great game, great atmosphere and the monkey is off our back...
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

josephski wrote:
theblueram wrote:
josephski wrote:

1. During the national anthem one student yelled "Fuck PC" three times during the national anthem. For a fanbase who loves to take shots at other teams for having no class that's about as classless as you can get.
Was this before or after the pc fan yelled go friars during the National Anthem?
I didn't hear the PC fan yell "go friars" but the first time this kid yelled "fuck pc" was literally within the first couple words of the anthem so I'm guessing before.
I will say that any yelling during the anthem wasn’t appreciated, from either side.

Overall the student section was loud and engaged in the 100 and 200 sections. The fact they stood in the 300 and did anything is a step up from most games when students are sitting up there.

The 200 section (outside students) was about as loud as I have seen them outside of a few early Ryan center games
2 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Hurley for president!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We totally dominated the PG matchup. Cartwright is supposed to be a top 5ish PG in the country. Whether it was Jarvis or Fatts, we totally dominated him, and I mean TOTALLY DOMINATED! I thought we'd be in trouble if we had to play Fatts and Jarvis together. But now I love it. Try dealing with that speed, quickness and defensive pressure when they're both on the court at the same time. Very impressed with so many players tonight, especially with Jared having a tough shooting night.
One question....was anyone here sitting behind the PC bench? I was wondering what player/players Stan was yelling at. From where I was, which was pretty far away, it looked like Diallo, but I couldn't tell for sure. I'm thinking if anyone saw that, we might have a better idea of who was in that bathroom with him in September. Stan was a man possessed. He wanted it so badly. He played so hard. He did so much of the dirty work, with the steals, the charges taken and the 12 rebounds. He wanted to go after someone at one point late in the 2nd half, but was thankfully pulled away. We needed him in that game. Anyway, the way he played and reacted towards some of the PC players, I'm convinced that what I was told is true...that PC players started shit with Coach Cox's daughter at that concert and Preston, Fatts and especially Stan took exception to it. In my opinion, they did the right thing. Obviously Stan has a temper and he lost it that night, and I believe, rightfully so. I'm so proud of him. He wanted it so badly. That made this win even sweeter, and it was oh so sweet anyway.
Last edited by Billyboy78 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
7 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

On top of alllllllllll that stuff...seems like Stan is ALWAYS asked to check someone much bigger than he is....
Serious hats off to Stan the Man.....
9 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I very much enjoyed that game. Much better feeling when you win.

Fatts, Andre, and Jarvis were real clutch today. Everyone contributed in different ways (Stan had most rebounds, JT hit ft's, etc...). Great effort by the boys in blue today.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Diallo is a talented player, but what a crybaby. I was happy when he fouled out.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I also thought the guy yelling Fuck PC was a dickhead. But cmon it's hardly fair to blame URI fans the actions of one guy.

You can't judge or really make any determinations about a group of people based on the actions of 1 probably drunk college kid out of 8000 people who were behaved well during the anthem and have no control over the dbag who was yelling that.
4 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

urirx wrote:
josephski wrote:
theblueram wrote: Was this before or after the pc fan yelled go friars during the National Anthem?
I will say that any yelling during the anthem wasn’t appreciated, from either side.

Overall the student section was loud and engaged in the 100 and 200 sections. The fact they stood in the 300 and did anything is a step up from most games when students are sitting up there.

The 200 section (outside students) was about as loud as I have seen them outside of a few early Ryan center games
Fair enough. I've seen enough people post that the student section was very good so I'm probably wrong about them being "embarrassingly bad" but I still think there is room for improvement. I thought our crowd was the loudest when PC was shooting free throws which is how loud the crowd should be on all defensive possessions in my opinion.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Pretty clear that URI has the best freshman PG in Rhode Island. Fatts won us that game.
Looks like somebody got himself a new avatar....
Haha you know it. I changed it during halftime, Fatts is officially my new favorite player. Our own version of The Answer (Allen Iverson is my favorite basketball player of all time).
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Fatts Fatts Fatts Jarvis Jarvis Jarvis Fatts Fatts Fatts Jarvis Jarvis Jarvis
GREAT Game by both. Nice game by Andre and good D by all. What is the word on Akele's injury ?
And howlon willhe be out ? Does anyone know ?

Believe it or not a woman behind us complained that my wife and daughter and I were standing with15 seconds left.
I SAID WHY DON'T YOU STAND UP if you can't see ? Obviously a really passionate fan there, Huh ?
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think a win against Bama gets us ranked if the cards fall in our favor.
5 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Fatts is the man (NEED A Fatts Jersey yesterday), I love this team, Hurley is a God and my voice is literally gone (beer is helping the sore throat). RC was electric, and I love nothing more than a bunch of crying Friars. Any chance there’s a way to re-watch this game?
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Another streak broken, my head is in pain from the sound and yelling but I’ve loved every minute of it. A packed Ryan Center is louder than any arena for miles and miles. That was absolutely fantastic. Great game, Fatts is a man on a mission. Jarvis made some massiveeee shots when the offense shut down. Go Rhody , onto bama.
2 x
GO RAMS
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Soooo many weapons at guard. I really think this can be a special team. Loved seeing Jarvis have the game he did especially after being so unselfish in previous games.

Cyril I’m guessing / hoping was still hurt / rusty. Hard to believe someone could play like he did vs Oregon and against pc was tough. Berry had some huge plays. Need Cyril to get back and Be a one two punch with him.

Our guards are STACKED.

LIKE legit stacked.

My biggest regret was seeing rod from cranston walking down the stairs eating a pretzel and not having the balls to say hi....next time. Fatts would have.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The one thing I loved about 1998 was knowing the team was going to the dance. I watched so much basketball that year just in case we played the team in the tournament. To see how we could match up. I think this is a year like that.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Lurker, it must not have been me.
I didn't eat my pretzel until I got to my seat.
Bought one for my daughter, but never found her
during half time. Carried it around until I gave it to her
after the game.
I was very happy to see my KB friends again, today.
Very glad to be back at the Ryan Center, too.
8 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, I’m going to just copy my comment from the Brown thread. Philly represent!
ace wrote:Sure, he might hit that freshman wall, and the conference will make adjustments, as will he. But right now, his play just makes me happy. I watched him play quite a bit in high school, and he could look under-sized in that setting... now against college guys, he really does- but he’s fearless. EC (and the rest) was spot on with his comment. Even with EC’s injury, it’s so impressive that Fatts is getting minutes on a veteran, guard-heavy team. That’s nice for future recruits to see.

There’s so much love for high school and college basketball in Philly, and I love seeing Fatts continue to get that attention from home while wearing a Rhody uniform.

Attention for the freshman-

Congrats, Rhody fans... this one was fun!!!
8 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody09 wrote:Fatts is the man (NEED A Fatts Jersey yesterday), I love this team, Hurley is a God and my voice is literally gone (beer is helping the sore throat). RC was electric, and I love nothing more than a bunch of crying Friars. Any chance there’s a way to re-watch this game?
Seconded. Gotta be a replay or youtube version somewhere
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Our 5 guards played 163 total minutes tonight, with 63 points, 21 rebounds, 13 assists, 11 steals and only 6 turnovers. That is what is called great guard play.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ace already posted the Fatts article above, but if you guys aren't following Andy Katz check out his Twitter feed tonight. I won't post them all here and clog up the thread, but he had some great coverage of the game for NCAA.com.

https://twitter.com/theandykatz
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Ace already posted the Fatts article above, but if you guys aren't following Andy Katz check out his Twitter feed tonight. I won't post them all here and clog up the thread, but he had some great coverage of the game for NCAA.com.

https://twitter.com/theandykatz
Thanks...good stuff
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

nice win boys.

that fatts kid is very legit.

would loved to have hit FT's to make it a close one. keep winning. our RPI loves it.
9 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow we get to watch Fatts for 4 years !! What a fun player to watch

We won this game at the line and forcing turnovers

On to Alabama
4 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Read through entire thread. *high-fives* to all.

Told ya about Fatts. ;)
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Given that we lost 2 of the greatest rockers of all time this year, Chuck Berry and Fats Domino, and given that 2 of the new Rhody superstars who have emerged this year are Andre Berry and Fatts Russell...

What if they got new nicknames? (I have already called Andre 'Chuck' by mistake on purpose at least once.)

And we celebrate "Fatts and Berry", or something like that???
And the PA played some classic tunes whenever they do something great?
And the pep band?
Would be awesome if Andre were #16 and we could play Sweet Little 16...
And Ain't That A Shame everytime Fatts hits a three...

We could get Fat-heads of them to go along with Big Papi and all the others?

Of course, the kids (Dre and Fats) might not like it, and the fans might not get it at first...

I'm just throwing it out there...
(And missing Tom Petty too, but maybe DH has a recruit for him...)

Had a blast yesterday!!! Go Rhody!
4 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

I love standing during the whole game, it's one of the things I miss most about not being a student at URI games. So I love the fact that my section (203, young alumni) stood the whole game and I didn't need to worry about people yelling at me for standing. What a fun night
8 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thanks for the link! Fatts seems to be a terrific young man. So happy he chose us to play for - he's going to provide many more great games like this!

Attention for the freshman-

Congrats, Rhody fans... this one was fun!!![/quote]
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Great article by Katz... Read that Koch and friends. Someone who really does not know our program with some real reporting.. Rhody rhody rhody
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......sleep good last nite boys and girls?........hopefully Coach has already turned the page and has everybody focused on ‘Bama......after all last nite wasn’t our Super Bowl.....not let up, keep on the pedal......Go Rhody......
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Can't read/watch enough about this game...from the Fatts and Hurley interviews and everything here...

Took a look at the Friar board, just for fun...numerous posters calling their team 'soft'.
I don't think that's the case, but pretty awesome to hear their fans think that.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to any of Hurls's teams as soft...PLENTY of other things, but not that.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

josephski wrote:Awesome win, Fatts is incredible! I wasn't sure if the Brown game was just a one time thing but he looks like the real deal.

Only complaint I have about this game is I thought the student section was awful, down right embarrassing.
When it sounded like the students were chanting "f--- Pee-C," I thought, "we've finally learned the words those Catholic school people have been using all these years."
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any way to see a replay of the game? I was there but I always like to see what cbs says about the rams and the Ryan Center.
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

For most part their fans are taking it well. Except for little water boy who loves to read here and then post there what scum we are...so glad we drained the swamp of that little bitch boy.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

what a great day yesterday ..

pRIde is what I felt

So happy for our program, our players.. And OUR FANS !

great job guys ... Keep it up RHODY !
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The kid in the student section shouting obscenities during the anthem was an idiot that showed no class. Was glad that some in that end (may even have been the PC fans) started to sing the anthem to drown him out.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Also, I love looking at stuff like this after the fact. No EC, Cyril doesn’t score in just 8 minutes of play, JT shoots 2-11... and they win?!
0 x