12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by reef »

Agreed on Nate Watson that kid looks really tough for them

Also agree on Fatts ability to make those unbelievable reverse layups those are very difficult shots

His ability to score will be huge for his whole career can you say 2000 points if he stays healthy??
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

sandman012 wrote:re: the offensive chants-

If my wife, 6 and 8 yo boys were there, they would have loved it. My boys are very respectful lads and know how to separate occasional goofy "profanity" from every day interactions (for the most part; they are young boys after all).

Also, when I was young, I used to go to UConn soccer games and their equivalent of the Rhody Ruckus back in the 80's would have made those who have a problem with those chant have a heart attack or pass out. My Dad let us sit close by and that energy (and profanity) hooked me on UConn soccer games for years to come. (Might be hard to imagine, a college soccer game in New England in the 80's, 4k people, atmosphere/attendance like that every game. Was a special time/place. RIP Joe Marrone)

I hope the students in attendance were equally hooked on their impact and how much disrespectful fun they had, and continue to become more creative in the future.

questions for you sandman...did you go to the game? if so, did you do the chant and if not, why not? and if I was sitting behind you (my tix are in 205), and I was chanting, would you have thought "how cool this guy is giving it to the friars"?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The noise during the anthem unacceptable.

Profanities, within reason, from rowdy and potentially liquored up college kids has to be expected and accepted.

I think older folks could understand the occasional profanities more if they were also accompanied by more witty chants and expressions.
For example, the gold standard of student sections the Cameron Crazies certainly are throwing around their share of foul language. But they also mix in a ton of creative and innovative ways to rattle their opponents, so all in all it seems like a more high brow experience.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote:The noise during the anthem unacceptable.

Profanities, within reason, from rowdy and potentially liquored up college kids has to be expected and accepted.

I think older folks could understand the occasional profanities more if they were also accompanied by more witty chants and expressions.
For example, the gold standard of student sections the Cameron Crazies certainly are throwing around their share of foul language. But they also mix in a ton of creative and innovative ways to rattle their opponents, so all in all it seems like a more high brow experience.

EXACTLY!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......put the students in section 104, and put the hand full of visitors followers behind the basket near the visitor bench......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The students can say whatever they want in their chants.....even young alums can join in.....I just think by the time you reach say 30 years old you can leave the booing and chants with expletives to the young uns.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I do reserve the right to tell older friar fans in the crowd to go fuck themselves when they get in my face with their crass fandom and hubris....it is why I won't go to the friar game when it is at the civic center.....my behavior then is perfectly acceptable....
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I love just about any Chant, but never during the anthem, PC students started singing over that poor girl singing. Just let her sing.
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

It is always appropriate to join in the singing of the anthem.....I did so myself as I didn't know which fan base was being rude to the anthem without a political cause to support.....just because we each dislike the other's fan base it is not a political cause....
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The only thing I heard during the anthem was " Go PC"
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Since it was brought up...

My role shifted to sort of the unofficial Ruckus leader over the past 4-5 seasons as we’ve tried to rebuild our student fan base and with it, create some new traditions and routines for the group to follow and pass on.

It has gotten to a place where I will try to help kickoff chants if I see the energy is dying or suggest ideas when I can - but I largely let the Ruckus leaders and students organically do their thing. They’ve made great progress in just the past 2 seasons operating as a real unit and their membership continues to grow.

Like you guys, I would like to see some new chants worked in - there’s only 3 or 4 regular ones in the rotation (with some situational one-offs sprinkled in). But I will suggest that they think of (or steal) some new ones soon.

I was bred to hate PC - but I didn’t encourage (or stop) the profane chant. I’ve heard much worse at the Dunk & thought it added to to hostile environment.

But at the end of the day - as long as we continue to see 1500+ at every game and they are engaged & making noise - I’m happy. Everything else is just gravy. Especially since I won’t be around next season to help them along.
8 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You do yeomans work EZ and I can't imagine how dull the environment would be in there without you providing the leadership and spirit you champion every game. Keep doing you!
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

If Saturday's game had been played back in the 70s, we would have been singing:

The Fryizz came over the mountain
The Fryizz came over the moun-TAINNNNNN
And Rhody kicked their ass!

Sounds tame now, but it was a different world back then.
6 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......wonder if anyone is thinking, recruiting or beginning the transition to no Buckets??......or just wing it next year and hope for the best......not an easy role to fill......potential here to build the brand......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:If Saturday's game had been played back in the 70s, we would have been singing:

I remember!
1 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

section(105) wrote:......wonder if anyone is thinking, recruiting or beginning the transition to no Buckets??......or just wing it next year and hope for the best......not an easy role to fill......potential here to build the brand......no?
We’ve already got a potential replacement lined up who I think would be a great fit in the role. I’ll be showing him the ropes as the season progresses so the transition is as smooth as possible.

Don’t worry. Even after I leave, I’ll be at every game in Section 204 starting chants if necessary. Possibly even more than I do now since I’ll finally be able to check out this mysterious Rhody Pub I keep hearing about.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:If Saturday's game had been played back in the 70s, we would have been singing:

Ha! My father (class of ‘74) still sings that.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

EZBuckets wrote:
section(105) wrote:......wonder if anyone is thinking, recruiting or beginning the transition to no Buckets??......or just wing it next year and hope for the best......not an easy role to fill......potential here to build the brand......no?
We’ve already got a potential replacement lined up who I think would be a great fit in the role. I’ll be showing him the ropes as the season progresses so the transition is as smooth as possible.

Don’t worry. Even after I leave, I’ll be at every game in Section 204 starting chants if necessary. Possibly even more than I do now since I’ll finally be able to check out this mysterious Rhody Pub I keep hearing about.
Good luck on the pub if attendance is full. You can smell the beer, but chances are you won't be getting one.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Another great branding asset that has all but disappeared from the game experience, Rhody the Ram.
Old Rhody was 1 of our most marketable assets and was put out to pasture. Dumb.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Another great branding asset that has all but disappeared from the game experience, Rhody the Ram.
As was Blue Man.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agreed. I blame him for no succession plan :)
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote:Another great branding asset that has all but disappeared from the game experience, Rhody the Ram.
.......amen to that.....do the reverse of the big video board of the old Rhody getting out of the limo and do grand entrance to the RC.....having had a couple of Red Bull’s on the ride.....
Neva forget the Temple Owl conducting the their band in AC......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Agreed. I blame him for no succession plan :)
Didn't they stop him from doing it?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:

Ha! My father (class of ‘74) still sings that.
Y'mean, I've got another kid out there????
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

EZBuckets wrote:Since it was brought up...

My role shifted to sort of the unofficial Ruckus leader over the past 4-5 seasons as we’ve tried to rebuild our student fan base and with it, create some new traditions and routines for the group to follow and pass on.

It has gotten to a place where I will try to help kickoff chants if I see the energy is dying or suggest ideas when I can - but I largely let the Ruckus leaders and students organically do their thing. They’ve made great progress in just the past 2 seasons operating as a real unit and their membership continues to grow.

Like you guys, I would like to see some new chants worked in - there’s only 3 or 4 regular ones in the rotation (with some situational one-offs sprinkled in). But I will suggest that they think of (or steal) some new ones soon.

I was bred to hate PC - but I didn’t encourage (or stop) the profane chant. I’ve heard much worse at the Dunk & thought it added to to hostile environment.

But at the end of the day - as long as we continue to see 1500+ at every game and they are engaged & making noise - I’m happy. Everything else is just gravy. Especially since I won’t be around next season to help them along.

sorry to hear you are leaving. I enjoy and appreciate the work you do. 12 more home games. keep bringin' it!
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Agreed. I blame him for no succession plan :)
Didn't they stop him from doing it?
Lol thank a certain deputy athletic director for helping to enact a rule to make sure no one ran around the court.

Funny they filmed a commercial with me and the mob as a part of this “my big idea” campaign. Full crowd and I screamed “my big idea is to be a ram...FOR LIFE!” Then the whole crowd lit up behind me.

Dope commercial actually. Didn’t see the light of Day haha.

I will say the Ryan Center has kind of always had this anti fan pro opposition thing going for them...
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Sounds about right Blue. Your ambition was stonewalled, it's a RI thing.
3 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I thought I heard someone yell "Go pc" during the anthem also......may have led to the response of "Fuck pc"...anyone else?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Ramulous wrote:I thought I heard someone yell "Go pc" during the anthem also......may have led to the response of "Fuck pc"...anyone else?
That's what I heard, too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

EZBuckets wrote:

Not original but I've always liked the "ref you suck" chant while pointing at the ref who made the bad call. It'd at least be a change from chanting "bullshit" or just booing.

Also I loved in the Syracuse at Georgia Tech game last year when John Gillion of Cuse shot an air ball in the first half and for the rest of the game the GT students chanted "air ball" every time Gillion touched the ball. Although this one kind of takes out any other chant other than just yelling.

Those are my suggestions but yea...the student section definitely needs to be more creative. Maybe recommend looking up players on twitter or instagram and see if there's anything from there that they can come up with a chant from. I remember in high school someone found out a kid on a team we played would often wear a cowboy hat so we'd chant "brokeback mountain" when he had the ball.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The ______ went over the mountain began with a
win over Brown.
It was easy to sing "The bear went over the mountain.....
and Rhody kicked his ass!"
Then bear was replaced by whatever mascot we beat.
It was great when the whole Keaney Gym would be singing it.
As for Rhody, geez, this one has been comatose for years.
Rhody, in the Frank Laning inspired costume, used to be wild.
Surf down the stairs, start fights with other mascots,
and take the Hawk's head off.
The past several years, after donning the Lion King cartoon
costume, just sits around in the stands, and
adds very little to the activities at the RC.
I was told, Rhody not part of athletics, but is a band person.
Guess that means nobody can talk across the lines?
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The rowdier the better...this isn't church.

I now work and live in Mass and when I walked into my office this morning one of my colleagues who is a Villanova alum stopped me to congratulate me on the PC win and said it looks like we have a great team this year. Nobody not affiliated with URI had stopped me to talk about Rhody hoops since Harrick left!

I hope attendance picks up and Dan is happy...this off-season would be just about the worst time to have him leave with the large graduating class and the highly touted recruiting class coming in. This could make or break the foreseeable future.
4 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rodfromcranston wrote:The ______ went over the mountain began with a
win over Brown.
It was easy to sing "The bear went over the mountain.....
and Rhody kicked his ass!"
Then bear was replaced by whatever mascot we beat.
It was great when the whole Keaney Gym would be singing it.
As for Rhody, geez, this one has been comatose for years.
Rhody, in the Frank Laning inspired costume, used to be wild.
Surf down the stairs, start fights with other mascots,
and take the Hawk's head off.
The past several years, after donning the Lion King cartoon
costume, just sits around in the stands, and
adds very little to the activities at the RC.
I was told, Rhody not part of athletics, but is a band person.
Guess that means nobody can talk across the lines?
I also remember being a student at a game back in 06 or 07 (somewhere around there) against Charlotte when the old Rhody would come flying in out of nowhere and blocked the Charlotte players' shots during the pregame shootaround. It was great.
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

EZBuckets wrote:Since it was brought up...

I always thought this would work well, just replace USA with URI. I believe the Columbus Crew is where the chant originally came from.
0 x
Clapton is God
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

I always thought this would work well, just replace USA with URI. I believe the Columbus Crew is where the chant originally came from.[/quote]

Agree...this kind of chant would be pretty cool.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....great picture today in the local Independent of Fatts after scoring and Roady Jay at his best reacting....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote:.....great picture today in the local Independent of Fatts after scoring and Roady Jay at his best reacting....
Classic!
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

I would hate for the Alabama loss thread to become longer then our victory over providence thread. if only so we can't say the board is a gathering place for the miserable...
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

urirx wrote:I would hate for the Alabama loss thread to become longer then our victory over providence thread. if only so we can't say the board is a gathering place for the miserable...
Not really surprising. After a loss people are going to discuss what went wrong and have different opinions versus a win where there's less discussion because most people are in agreement that we played well.

Also more people post in the Alabama game thread during the game because the majority of people on here are not at the game.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

urirx wrote:I would hate for the Alabama loss thread to become longer then our victory over providence thread. if only so we can't say the board is a gathering place for the miserable...
THE
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

FIGHT
1 x
---
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

IS
1 x
---
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ON (bam, back ahead)
1 x
---
---
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

We played our worst game this season and lost a close game to a top 50 school on the road.

WE SUCK THIS YEAR FIRE HURLEY BACK TO THE NIT EC CAN'T DRIBBLE CYRIL SUCKS
6 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

LOUD NOISES!
3 x
---
---
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Haha just saw this on Barstool Rhody’s Snapchat. Disclaimer: lots of F bombs in this. I literally laughed out loud when the kid says, “what fan base?” referring to Pee Cee.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote:.....great picture today in the local Independent of Fatts after scoring and Roady Jay at his best reacting....

Two of my favorite people in one photo. :D
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RhodyRam86 wrote:

I always thought this would work well, just replace USA with URI. I believe the Columbus Crew is where the chant originally came from.

Agree...this kind of chant would be pretty cool.[/quote]
The fucking usmnt won't be needing it for at leasr 5 years...
Bruce Arena sucks donkey dicks!!!
2 at a time!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodyrudder wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

Agree...this kind of chant would be pretty cool.
The fucking usmnt won't be needing it for at leasr 5 years...
Bruce Arena sucks donkey dicks!!!
2 at a time![/quote]

It's not just Arena. The problem with USMNT is systematic of poor planning over the past dozen years or so. Arena did a bad job coaching their last game that kept them out. But they shouldn't have been in that position in the first place.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”