12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by bigappleram »

A big guy to guard the in-bound pass (which he eventually stole) and then someone to foul.
It was an odd series of events that the kid ended up on the line.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The kid was so nervous. Kind of felt bad for him.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

But to clarify, I was very happy he missed the free throw.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

He missed (everything) because he got all "Ruck"-ed up...again, the students were awesome....

You don't see players getting impacted by crowd noise that often, but that's twice this year.
Forget the opponent, but the crowd got someone to toss up a prayer with the fake shot clock countdown earlier.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't know where to put this, but I love this kid.

3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Billyboy78 wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:Jarvis made Cartwright look like a CBI caliber player yesterday. Great to see JG’s confidence back.

Also noticed that Cooley played zone for 2 speperate possessions, URI scored 5 points with an open high low layup and then an open 3. Both baskets got the crowd pumped and the momentum built. Just can’t chance playing zone at this level even for a possession which is one thing I’ve always liked about Hurley’s strategy.

Little disappointed I didn’t see a picture of that walk-on from PC shooting a free throw in the paper today.
Yeah, he's from Portsmouth, but since he goes to that despicable school, I gave him shit anyway.
I know one walk-on from Portsmouth...love the kid!!!
He's not the one you're talking about.
Are there 2 Portsmouth kids on their roster? Or is the kid who did get in from somewhere else?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:Jarvis made Cartwright look like a CBI caliber player yesterday. Great to see JG’s confidence back.

Also noticed that Cooley played zone for 2 speperate possessions, URI scored 5 points with an open high low layup and then an open 3. Both baskets got the crowd pumped and the momentum built. Just can’t chance playing zone at this level even for a possession which is one thing I’ve always liked about Hurley’s strategy.

Little disappointed I didn’t see a picture of that walk-on from PC shooting a free throw in the paper today.
Yeah, he's from Portsmouth, but since he goes to that despicable school, I gave him shit anyway.
I know one walk-on from Portsmouth...love the kid!!!
He's not the one you're talking about.
Are there 2 Portsmouth kids on their roster? Or is the kid who did get in from somewhere else?
I might have the wrong kid. Is he the one who played at the Abbey?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

adam914 wrote:This is awesome!

Tremendous !

Fire it up !
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't know if he played at the Abbey, but he is listed as being from Illinois.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I don't know if he played at the Abbey, but he is listed as being from Illinois.
Yeah, I had the wrong kid. Fonts is the kid from Portsmouth who played at the Abbey.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That video posted above was epic !!

I love how Fatts gets the crowd involved by raising his hands. Also love his quick hands on defense making things difficult for the opponents

For PC frosh Ashton -Langford and Watson are going to be a handful for us to handle the next few years
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PC has talent, for sure. Diallo and Young are, good, too, which makes the win that much more satisfying. When/if they learn to play defense, they will be tough to beat.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody74 wrote:PC has talent, for sure. Diallo and Young are, good, too, which makes the win that much more satisfying. When/if they learn to play defense, they will be tough to beat.
I gotta say...really loving Friar fans saying they own this in the future like Fatts, Jeff, and langevine are going anywhere...and we didn’t bring in a top 25 class for next year.

This is fun. I like basketball again.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Blue Man took the words out of my mouth.

Fatts was the difference. He's a freshman too. Both our young guys and our vets are ahead of the Fryas right now. Not worried about them anymore.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

BleedBlue87 wrote:Anyone who came to the game and didn't expect the "f*ck PC" chants, welcome to URI-PC game because that's been an on-going chant for the last 10+ years. The students were electric and made the environment tough to play in. Anyone who is embarrassed by the student section can straight up stay home and watch it on TV.
Definitely a +1 here. That energy is exactly what any arena wants... That looked like an amazing crowd. I became hooked on Rhody hoops after my 1st PC game at the Dunk, it was a "home" game for Rhody and we won a close one. The crowd was insane and stormed court when we won and I was hooked for life. This is the type of game and environment that will have the same effect on the students that were there. That victory was huge for our resume, but even bigger for growing our fan base. That's how we get 6000+ in the seats for EVERY game. I'm still pumped!!!
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:PC has talent, for sure. Diallo and Young are, good, too, which makes the win that much more satisfying. When/if they learn to play defense, they will be tough to beat.
I gotta say...really loving Friar fans saying they own this in the future like Fatts, Jeff, and langevine are going anywhere...and we didn’t bring in a top 25 class for next year.

Thing about Fatts is he is a shot maker, and he is GREAT at layups. An undersized PG has to be able to find a way to score near the rim, most don't have that ability bc of their stature. Fatts has an uncanny ability to make shots in close, amongst trees. Floaters, up and unders, etc. Kid is gonna be fun to watch for next 4 years.
4 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Fatts is our future star. My mom and dad live in Wakefield and never attend games. My mom was so excited after watching the game on Saturday that she's going to make an effort to attend games moving forward. The text from here "I love Fatts!".

He's as marketable as a player as we've had in quite some time. Philly tough. Undersized. Loves the camera. He's going to help put asses in the seats.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Considering that Andre had a limited role before this year, I'm impressed how well he handled PC's frontcourt. It's got to give him confidence going forward.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Blue Man wrote:

The beauty of it's series is that either team can win on it's home court. Even in some of URI's worst years, they played better PC teams tight at home. Same can be said for some of PC's bad years versus URI at the Dunk. For as much as people trumpeted 7 in a row as some sort of rallying cry, they forget how the last 4 of them could have really gone either way. I was completely unsurprising by the outcome of this game, if PC and URI played at the RC in 2016, URI wins the game the same type of way. Instead, PC had the home energy and got over the hump last year, that did not exist this season. Credit the players for playing the type of game necessary to completely rattle PC. That aggressive defense, it completely ruined PC's rhythm for large stretches of that game. It's a lot of clutching, bumping, and grabbing, but the refs call the same game on both sides and you have to deal with it. Amazing PC was in it despite their FT shooting and turnover issues. I think those are things PC fans leave the game feeling optimistic about. But URI completely took advantage of a lack of physical and mental toughness and that contributed to those issues. I'm not going to congratulate URI, or it's fans, you have a good team and saying congrats makes it sound like it's something completely unexpected or surprising. It's not. If Hurley can get EC on the same page with everyone else, looking like a team that with the right matchups/seeding might be able to make a run to the 2nd weekend.
9 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My niece: "Fatts is my new favorite player!"
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: If Hurley can get EC on the same page with everyone else, looking like a team that with the right matchups/seeding might be able to make a run to the 2nd weekend.
This is exactly what I am interested in seeing. Its going to be interesting, especially with the emergence of fatts and fitting another player (who needs a lot of touches) into the rotation. Hopefully it is seamless to get EC back in but I do not think it will be or expect it to be.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RJ again makes it clear why he has earned his membership in KeaneyBlue even as a Friar fan.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree on RJ. Like his contributions, though I thought it was the kiss of death when he predicted a URI double digit victory.

Fitting in EC is more difficult on the defensive end than the offensive side. It's no mystery that EC is not a defensive stopper, and his minutes have been re-distributed to Stan and Fatts who are both excellent on ball defenders. That has resulted in better team defense, more steals, more points off TOs.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

The beauty of it's series is that either team can win on it's home court. Even in some of URI's worst years, they played better PC teams tight at home. Same can be said for some of PC's bad years versus URI at the Dunk. For as much as people trumpeted 7 in a row as some sort of rallying cry, they forget how the last 4 of them could have really gone either way. I was completely unsurprising by the outcome of this game, if PC and URI played at the RC in 2016, URI wins the game the same type of way. Instead, PC had the home energy and got over the hump last year, that did not exist this season. Credit the players for playing the type of game necessary to completely rattle PC. That aggressive defense, it completely ruined PC's rhythm for large stretches of that game. It's a lot of clutching, bumping, and grabbing, but the refs call the same game on both sides and you have to deal with it. Amazing PC was in it despite their FT shooting and turnover issues. I think those are things PC fans leave the game feeling optimistic about. But URI completely took advantage of a lack of physical and mental toughness and that contributed to those issues. I'm not going to congratulate URI, or it's fans, you have a good team and saying congrats makes it sound like it's something completely unexpected or surprising. It's not. If Hurley can get EC on the same page with everyone else, looking like a team that with the right matchups/seeding might be able to make a run to the 2nd weekend.
Agreed RJ. I think basketball in this state is at it's best when both teams are good - and both fanbases are back to HATING each other the week around the game.

Now we're at a point where each team can count on a top 50 OOC game that could go either way annually. That's just great for each team and their respective tournament hopes.

It takes our rivalry to a level beyond "cute local rivalry that matters to state of 1 million people" to "rivalry with national and tournament implications." Credit to both Ed Cooley and Dan Hurley for doing what they've done with their programs to make this happen.

MAL + Diallo + Young going up against Fatts + Jeff + Langevine, and then next years' top 25 classes going at each other - whoa boy, what a time to love college basketball in this state.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

People keep mentioning Young when they talk about PC's future. He doesn't look like the guy to me; I'd take Nate Watson over Young 10/10 times. Not that they have to choose, obviously - they get them both; but when you talk about their future, to me it is Watson first, then Diallo, then MAL and then Young. Young looks pretty meh to me, honestly.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Fatts layups are a revelation here.

Why is he so successful in the break?

Because he sprints to the rim and just tries to lay it in.

Everyone else in keaney blue for 5 years jogged down the court and tried to euro step. It has never really worked.

I think Jared's success has been from him also going straight line the past 2 years. Just go balls to the wall to the rim and force the defender to defend.

EC too often looks like a ballerina. When its good it's good. When it's not good. We lose.
2 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

theblueram wrote:
josephski wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
How were they embarrassing? I thought they were key in this win

1. During the national anthem one student yelled "Fuck PC" three times during the national anthem. For a fanbase who loves to take shots at other teams for having no class that's about as classless as you can get.
Was this before or after the pc fan yelled go friars during the National Anthem?
Does it really matter if it's before or after? That was disgraceful.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote:Agree on RJ. Like his contributions, though I thought it was the kiss of death when he predicted a URI double digit victory.

Fitting in EC is more difficult on the defensive end than the offensive side. It's no mystery that EC is not a defensive stopper, and his minutes have been re-distributed to Stan and Fatts who are both excellent on ball defenders. That has resulted in better team defense, more steals, more points off TOs.
EC might not be Jared or Stan on defense, but he doesn't hurt us either. We've had great team defense on the court with him out there before.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

URI96 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
josephski wrote:

1. During the national anthem one student yelled "Fuck PC" three times during the national anthem. For a fanbase who loves to take shots at other teams for having no class that's about as classless as you can get.
Was this before or after the pc fan yelled go friars during the National Anthem?

0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:People keep mentioning Young when they talk about PC's future. He doesn't look like the guy to me; I'd take Nate Watson over Young 10/10 times. Not that they have to choose, obviously - they get them both; but when you talk about their future, to me it is Watson first, then Diallo, then MAL and then Young. Young looks pretty meh to me, honestly.
There's no doubt that Watson is the better prospect.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Watson is a beast, and he will be a problem for teams for the next 4 years.

I think PC has an interesting chemistry test at play for Cooley this season - their underclassmen are more talented and have higher ceilings than their more experienced upperclassmen. How he balances playing time and provides opportunity for the younger guys, without demotivating his veterans, will be a delicate balancing act. If I were a PC fan I would def be lobbying for 25mpg+ from Watson. Very impressive kid.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Agree on RJ. Like his contributions, though I thought it was the kiss of death when he predicted a URI double digit victory.

EC might not be Jared or Stan on defense, but he doesn't hurt us either. We've had great team defense on the court with him out there before.
EC’s minutes have mostly been distributed to Jarvis and Fatts. When Rhody goes 4G they need Stan in the game to cover the other team’s forward. That doesn’t change when EC is back. I am sure everyone’s minutes have increased with EC out.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

URI96 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
josephski wrote:

The one student that used the expletive twice during the anthem was an obvious disgrace. but I can't give a pass to the entire student section that continuously chanted "f&%$ PC". The fact that it has been going on for 10+ years doesn't make it right. You want to build a fan base that regularly fills the arena with 6000 or more fans? You aren't going to do it with all students that don't mind the chant. Many in attendance are going to be children and females. show some class. I'm not personally red faced by the chant. I just find it lame.

The guy that hypes the students (Buckets?) does a fantastic job. I would rather see him lead the students with chants. Let's come up with something a little more original than "F PC". Come up with a funny chant and it will have a much better effect.

Other than that, I would agree that the students were great and I have no doubt their presence played a part in amping up our D and disrupting PC's offense.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote:Watson is a beast, and he will be a problem for teams for the next 4 years.

I think PC has an interesting chemistry test at play for Cooley this season - their underclassmen are more talented and have higher ceilings than their more experienced upperclassmen. How he balances playing time and provides opportunity for the younger guys, without demotivating his veterans, will be a delicate balancing act. If I were a PC fan I would def be lobbying for 25mpg+ from Watson. Very impressive kid.
Good point, BAR, on the balancing act. I think Watson is a stud, too, although he needs to get better defensively. Berry's points mostly came against him. Cooley took Young after missing out on other bigs. Not that he's bad, but Watson will be better.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Watson is a beast, and he will be a problem for teams for the next 4 years.

Good point, BAR, on the balancing act. I think Watson is a stud, too, although he needs to get better defensively. Berry's points mostly came against him. Cooley took Young after missing out on other bigs. Not that he's bad, but Watson will be better.
PC fans expected more out of Young this year, especially on offense. He showed flashes last year like Cyril did for us. They feel that Watson will gradually get more minutes as the year goes on. Next year their starting front court will be Holt, Watson & Dialo.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
URI96 wrote:
theblueram wrote: Was this before or after the pc fan yelled go friars during the National Anthem?
The one student that used the expletive twice during the anthem was an obvious disgrace. but I can't give a pass to the entire student section that continuously chanted "f&%$ PC". The fact that it has been going on for 10+ years doesn't make it right. You want to build a fan base that regularly fills the arena with 6000 or more fans? You aren't going to do it with all students that don't mind the chant. Many in attendance are going to be children and females. show some class. I'm not personally red faced by the chant. I just find it lame.

The guy that hypes the students (Buckets?) does a fantastic job. I would rather see him lead the students with chants. Let's come up with something a little more original than "F PC". Come up with a funny chant and it will have a much better effect.

Other than that, I would agree that the students were great and I have no doubt their presence played a part in amping up our D and disrupting PC's offense.
And you're never going to consistently get college students to come out if you try to make this a G rated crowd. And seeing as the game is at the University of Rhode Island and not the West Kingston Elementary School people need to adjust their tolerance appropriately.

With all due respect to the guy that hypes up the students, has he ever created an original chant or line?
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyRam86 wrote:
URI96 wrote:
theblueram wrote: Was this before or after the pc fan yelled go friars during the National Anthem?
The one student that used the expletive twice during the anthem was an obvious disgrace. but I can't give a pass to the student section that continuously chanted "f&%$ PC". The fact that it has been going on for 10+ years doesn't make it right. You want to build a fan base that regularly fills the arena with 6000 or more fans? You aren't going to do it with all students that don't mind the chant. Many in attendance are going to be children and females? Show some class.

I don't think anyone disagrees that shouting anything during the anthem is awful and disgraceful no matter who you root for.

That said, this whole puritan "family friendly" atmosphere that the minority of basketball fans here "crave" is awful. If you want a home court advantage that helps basketball players play harder, that will probably come with some swear words at times. OH NO SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

86, I'm not directing this at you personally, but there are elements of this fan base that take the core of your message to heart, and that is a problem.

When any basketball player talks about a great college basketball environment, I know they all make a point to shout out all the children, females, and elderly people politely clapping during play and standing up for the T shirt toss. That's really the home court arena that a great basketball program gets to show off. That's how you keep a great coach like Dan Hurley around.

No booze, no swearing, no standing, everyone be nice to everyone else, and yay team! Better leave early to avoid traffic and tuck Suzie in to bed!

You want to build a fan base period? The sports fan demographic is typically a male, age 18-35. Unfortunately for your (and apparently all the females and children you represent's) delicate sensibilities, that territory may come with some drunk people and naughty words.

"The family friendly Ryan Center" is a dig I saw used in a PC article about their loss here Friday, and it is a sad punchline. When we were a bad team in the 2000's, "family friendly" became a necessary focus for the Ryan Center because the sports fan demographic isn't showing up to watch a bad team play other bad teams. The only people we could get into the building were families who wanted a cheap, wholesome night out in south county.

Now that we're good, we have that sports fan demographic interested in basketball again. Fortunately for the rest of us who can handle 4 letter words and not panic because "the children" might hear that word that they probably learned in 3rd grade at recess, we'll happily welcome having sports fans back in the building.

The families, children, and females you are so concerned for are welcome to enjoy a family friendly atmosphere from their couch.

I have a feeling if you asked the team, staff, and coaches whether they want an extra 300 families in the building to keep the atmosphere wholesome and respectful, or 1500 loud and crazy sports fans - they'll probably deal with hearing swears and getting home court W's.
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
URI96 wrote:

welcome to college athletics......

Part of having a loud and engaged student section is off color chants. (see LSU football games featuring a stadium wide "hey, suck that tiger d**k" chant) Its universal. Trying to muzzle it is exactly what has killed the student attendance. They want to go to the games to be loud and disruptive, not lectured on being good little boys and girls. Short of personal attacks, we should be encouraging students to be as loud and disruptive as possible. The point of an on campus arena like this is to have it be a lions den that teams hate coming to

Additionally, its on the PARENTS to teach their young kids right and wrong when it comes to language. Guess what, a URI game isnt the only place those kids are hearing those words. Its not everyone else's responsibility to protect your kids. This isnt Story Land or Santas Village. You take a kid to a sporting event, anywhere, and they will come out with a new vocabulary
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
URI96 wrote:
The one student that used the expletive twice during the anthem was an obvious disgrace. but I can't give a pass to the student section that continuously chanted "f&%$ PC". The fact that it has been going on for 10+ years doesn't make it right. You want to build a fan base that regularly fills the arena with 6000 or more fans? You aren't going to do it with all students that don't mind the chant. Many in attendance are going to be children and females? Show some class.

I don't think anyone disagrees that shouting anything during the anthem is awful and disgraceful no matter who you root for.

That said, this whole puritan "family friendly" atmosphere that the minority of basketball fans here "crave" is awful. If you want a home court advantage that helps basketball players play harder, that will probably come with some swear words at times. OH NO SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

When any basketball player talks about a great college basketball environment, I know they all make a point to shout out all the children, females, and elderly people politely clapping during play and standing up for the T shirt toss. That's really the home court arena that a great basketball program gets to show off. That's how you keep a great coach like Dan Hurley around.

No booze, no swearing, no standing, everyone be nice to everyone else, and yay team! Better leave early to avoid traffic and tuck Suzie in to bed!

You want to build a fan base period? The sports fan demographic is typically a male, age 18-35. Unfortunately for your (and apparently all the females and children you represent's) delicate sensibilities, that territory may come with some drunk people and naughty words.

"The family friendly Ryan Center" is a dig I saw used in a PC article about their loss here Friday, and it is a sad punchline. When we were a bad team in the 2000's, "family friendly" became a necessary focus for the Ryan Center because the sports fan demographic isn't showing up to watch a bad team play other bad teams. The only people we could get into the building were families who wanted a cheap, wholesome night out in south county.

Now that we're good, we have that sports fan demographic interested in basketball again. Fortunately for the rest of us who can handle 4 letter words and not panic because "the children" might hear that word that they probably learned in 3rd grade at recess, we'll happily welcome having sports fans back in the building.

The families, children, and females you are so concerned for are welcome to enjoy a family friendly atmosphere from their couch.

I have a feeling if you asked the team, staff, and coaches whether they want an extra 300 families in the building to keep the atmosphere wholesome and respectful, or 1500 loud and crazy sports fans - they'll probably deal with hearing swears and getting home court W's.
Learned those words in third grade at recess? How about heard 15 minutes earlier in traffic trying to get into the building from inside their own car.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote:My niece: "Fatts is my new favorite player!"
Me:
What stevie's niece said.
Well, actually, I really like Stan, too...seems he ends up with the toughest defensive assignment, just because of URI size, and does a more than admirable job with it. Folks in our area cringed whenever he shot against PC, but, hey, anyone who works that hard on D deserves to take a few shots. If I had to bust axx like that, I'd wanna jack up a few, too.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Pretty sure PC game is akin to a big pats game. PPL are less likely to bring their children.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am okay with players making political statements during the anthem.....if something moves you in America you have the right to show it....I don't complain when NFL players kneel....I want people who protest against injustice....

....if you are in the stands and you feel solidarity with that cause you can sit or kneel in protest.....you have that right in the USA.....but swearing at the opponent during the national anthem is not a political statement....so I believe whoever did it was wrong.....

.......I don't care what the students chant so long as it is organic and comes from them naturally....swearing is ok by my.....nobody does it more than me....

......I would never boo a college kid....even our opponents....unless their on-court behavior warrants it......just for being on the friars is not enough....but our students can boo the kids all they want because they are peers....adults should never boo a kid....

.....I don't want Buckets making up chants for the students......let them flow freely and find their group persona naturally...

Just an old dude's opinion.....
7 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I could not agree with you more on all of that Ramulous
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I could not agree with you more on all of that Ramulous
Except the part about not booing that hideous, disgusting institution that occupies a former mental hospital. Don't get me started on that.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I booed when they announced the school, but not the players.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I booed Cooley.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Projo Photos

Sorry if this was posted already.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I think the chant shows a lack of class, but i'm not personally offended. I more so just think it's tired and boring. use "F" in a funny chant and I think it would be less of an issue.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

re: the offensive chants-

If my wife, 6 and 8 yo boys were there, they would have loved it. My boys are very respectful lads and know how to separate occasional goofy "profanity" from every day interactions (for the most part; they are young boys after all).

Also, when I was young, I used to go to UConn soccer games and their equivalent of the Rhody Ruckus back in the 80's would have made those who have a problem with those chant have a heart attack or pass out. My Dad let us sit close by and that energy (and profanity) hooked me on UConn soccer games for years to come. (Might be hard to imagine, a college soccer game in New England in the 80's, 4k people, atmosphere/attendance like that every game. Was a special time/place. RIP Joe Marrone)

I hope the students in attendance were equally hooked on their impact and how much disrespectful fun they had, and continue to become more creative in the future.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When you guys were 18, 19 years old and had a few beers, did you all act like choir boys? I can't even imagine what I did at Keaney at that age. C'mon. It's a word. Lighten up.
4 x