12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/2 | Providence Friars | 5:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by TruePoint »

RFORTE wrote:I wish we were able to tailgate for this game
It's a free country, man. Just bring a jacket. You'll be good.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The word university is derived from the word "universe" with all the connotations of that element- open, multi-directional, expansive. So what can you say about a school that regularly bans plays it doesn't like - "The Vagina Monologues"- or speakers whose view doesn't fit their rigid views???? Just saying.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Taylor Swift wrote:
adam914 wrote:Providence week always means its time to resurrect this bad boy. Just remember, no matter what, you'll never be this pathetic.

YES! This is SO cheesy, tacky, and corny. Thank you for posting this gem.
Is the geekier one Sean?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

“I root for Rhode Island all but in one game; when they play Providence,” Rooke said.

All evidence to the contrary.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Skinnyfatts
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Skinnyfatts »

I just can’t being to imagine what happens if this isn’t our year, the team outlook is still fine, I mean we are the clear favorite in the A10 the conference stinks, but losing another year in this game? I can’t
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Smokinjimit wrote:Lets focus...

Cyril needs to play 25 minutes on Saturday if we stand any chance of winning this game. They are too big and fast for Berry.

GO RHODY!!!
Dan said during the Coach’s Show Weds that thr plan is to play Cyril 15-20 minutes Saturday.

I think the homecourt advantage will be big Saturday. It will help push Rhody over the top.
PC hasn’t played an away game yet.

Wear Keaney Blue everyone. It’s a Blue Out
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Anyone catch McNamara-Koch's podcast?
Kevin picked URI.
For all you Koch lovers, not only did he pick PC,
but said PC could well win 15-16 of the next 20 games vs. URI.
Never liked Koch and reallllly can't stand him after that
comment.
Even McNamara tried to tone Koch down, saying it was a series where
anything can happen.
With friends like Koch, who needs enemies?
7 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
steviep123
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Anyone catch McNamara-Koch's podcast?
Kevin picked URI.
comment.
anything can happen.
I'll have to listen, but I hope if Koch made such a point he backed it up with reasoning. I've seen both teams win this game that shouldn't have come close. PC may have won 7 of them, but the last 3 or 4 were 3 points or less (I don't remember the first few). In any case, I'm less confident of tomorrow than I was last season.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Kevin picked URI.
comment.
anything can happen.
I feel like Koch is from the school of the old pre-2003 Red Sox fans who'd call into talk radio. The people Pitino termed the fellowship of the miserable ("there is a lot of negativity in this town and it SUCKS, and it STINKS!" is still one of the all-time great quotes).

I think Bill wants URI to be good, but he is a pessimist and there is a certain amount of psychological fortress building that goes on with that. Have very low expectations and you can't be disappointed. Personally, I think that is a lousy way to go through life, but it is an especially troubling tone for the only mainstream reporter covering the team. I've said before - I like Bill personally and I don't mind if he doesn't want to wear his affinity for URI on his sleeve while at work, but at least call it down the middle and don't be so relentlessly negative. I honestly think it has a negative impact on our fan base.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/12 ... ce=twitter
Providence at Rhode Island, Sat., 4 p.m., CBS Sports

On paper, this is probably the most evenly matched rivalry game of the weekend. The Friars have already won the 2K Classic and beaten Belmont and Boston College, while the Rams boast wins over UNC Asheville and Seton Hall. Edge to the Friars, if only because EC Matthews is still out. Please get back soon, EC. The Atlantic 10 is so much more fun when you’re playing
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Kevin picked URI.
comment.
anything can happen.
Amen!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

To pick anyone to win 15 or 16 out of 20 ... is just being silly and provocative. I'm not going to listen to or read the context, but he can't really believe that...sounds like he's just trying to continue that swirl of dooshiness that keeps people talking about him....

That, plus, what TP said....
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
Kevin picked URI.
comment.
anything can happen.
I feel like Koch is from the school of the old pre-2003 Red Sox fans who'd call into talk radio. The people Pitino termed the fellowship of the miserable ("there is a lot of negativity in this town and it SUCKS, and it STINKS!" is still one of the all-time great quotes).

I think Bill wants URI to be good, but he is a pessimist and there is a certain amount of psychological fortress building that goes on with that. Have very low expectations and you can't be disappointed. Personally, I think that is a lousy way to go through life, but it is an especially troubling tone for the only mainstream reporter covering the team. I've said before - I like Bill personally and I don't mind if he doesn't want to wear his affinity for URI on his sleeve while at work, but at least call it down the middle and don't be so relentlessly negative. I honestly think it has a negative impact on our fan base.
It's tedious.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:To pick anyone to win 15 or 16 out of 20 ... is just being silly and provocative. I'm not going to listen to or read the context, but he can't really believe that...sounds like he's just trying to continue that swirl of dooshiness that keeps people talking about him....

That, plus, what TP said....
I've been thinking it is a heel act.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:
Kevin picked URI.
comment.
anything can happen.

nah, like Pitino he is a self serving pompous tool screaming for 'look at me' attention
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Now Koch can foresee 2 decades into the future. He really picked the wrong career with those skills.
Agree with Rod, with friends like that...contrast that with how KMac or Rooke cover the Friars. And then he has the gall to say the state doesn’t support the program, if their source of information was him why the hell would they.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The President of PC comes from a family of advertising people, so with his religiosity his DNA contains a bit of hucksterism. Case in point, remember the mascot flap when the PC president said he was going to investigate the situation and then referred to his good friend URI president Caruthers. What "good friend" spells your name incorrectly, but, more importantly what "good friend" makes a claim and is never heard from again on the subject. Hypocrisy or huckster BS? So having low class is like a fish that rots from the head down. Just saying.
4 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I’ve never seen a more negative beat writer in my life. It’s getting very old. He doesn’t “break” news, he doesn’t provide an inside the ropes/insider access view of the program that we don’t already get from posters here, and he doesn’t really provide any think pieces and/or recaps that a casual fan couldnt replicate.

I feel like he treats his life like he’s on Around the Horn and needs to stir the spot to feel like a valuable member of the basketball community.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote:The word university is derived from the word "universe" with all the connotations of that element- open, multi-directional, expansive. So what can you say about a school that regularly bans plays it doesn't like - "The Vagina Monologues"- or speakers whose view doesn't fit their rigid views???? Just saying.
With their curriculum, they're a great, though massively overpriced, regional school for pumping out high school English and History teachers, CCD teachers and Renaissance Fair actors. For everything else, especially in the sciences, you're better off anywhere else.
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:The word university is derived from the word "universe" with all the connotations of that element- open, multi-directional, expansive. So what can you say about a school that regularly bans plays it doesn't like - "The Vagina Monologues"- or speakers whose view doesn't fit their rigid views???? Just saying.
With their curriculum, they're a great, though massively overpriced, regional school for pumping out high school English and History teachers, CCD teachers and Renaissance Fair actors. For everything else, especially in the sciences, you're better off anywhere else.
To be fair, URI can probably be considered massively overpriced if you're an out of state student not getting much scholarship money. With that said, I've never understood why anyone from Rhode Island would go to PC over URI unless they have a huge scholarship that would make the cost of the schools similar.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

WOW Rod.. thanks for the insight on Koch. I haven't heard that but if he made a comment about 15+ years of predicting the outcome... well, that jsut seems ridiculous

i think koch should come here and explain and put this in context of what he was trying to say.. or confirm what he did say.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:WOW Rod.. thanks for the insight on Koch. I haven't heard that but if he made a comment about 15+ years of predicting the outcome... well, that jsut seems ridiculous

i think koch should come here and explain and put this in context of what he was trying to say.. or confirm what he did say.
Or...he could just f-f-f-f-fade away.....
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Kevin picked URI.
comment.
anything can happen.
I just listened to it. Koch's point was that with the recruits coming in and the new practice facility, etc. you "could see" a big stretch of PC winning 15-16 of the next 20. Unfortunately, Koch failed to mention URI's own recruiting class coming in which counters the point at least somewhat. No, we don't have a new practice facility coming, but we do have an awesome ON CAMPUS arena and many other good things in the program. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but there is plenty of good.

To McNamara's credit, he dissuaded the argument and said this is a "year to year game" and he's right.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Consider me stirred up.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Right, with this game, almost nothing ever goes to plan. Heck, Jim Baron scored surprise wins over the Friars before it was expected. In Baron's 2nd season, the Rams stole the game up at the Dunk and then won the next year when the first URI/PC game was played in the Ryan Center.

Cool visualization showing series history courtesy of National Statistical(formerly Basketball State).
pcURIhistory.png
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:I honestly think it has a negative impact on our fan base.
I also think all the "poor attendance" coverage negatively impacts the casual fans. Who's going to be compelled to go to a game when all they hear is that no one goes?
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Please !!

No talk about practice!!

We have a nearly 7000+ seat on campus arena!!!!

PC has a dump downtown!!

So they be getting a practice facility.....

So what??

FKNA
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

ElmCityRhody wrote:WOW Rod.. thanks for the insight on Koch. I haven't heard that but if he made a comment about 15+ years of predicting the outcome... well, that jsut seems ridiculous

Since you asked directly, Elm City, happy to clarify. The quote from the podcast, in part: 'You could see Providence run off and win 15, 16 out of 20 in this series.'

Yes, that does include the current seven straight. I apologize if that didn't come across clearly.

A win this year is a must in my mind for URI. A win next year could prove difficult with a younger team and it being a road game.

For the sake of argument, let's say URI does lose Saturday and again next year. That's nine straight. Providence would have to go 6-5 over the next 11 to arrive at 15 wins out of 20. That was my calculus, anyway.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bill Koch is a troll, has been for a while.

Always condescending in his remarks, nothing is ever good enough for him and nothing with ever be.

If we beat PC but 17 people left early, that’ll be the first sentence of the article.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sounds like Sarah Huckabee Sanders prepared
Koch's explanation.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Pop and Pick: URI edition

URI will host PC tomorrow evening at the Ryan Center. PC, who has never won a Big East regular season title, will enter the game as underdogs for the 3rd straight season. But the Friars have embraced the underdog role and have given the defending Atlantic 10 champs trouble over the last several years. After playing in front of a lethargic Civic Center crowd on Wednesday night, Coach Cooley suggested that it’s something about that sold out Ryan Center atmosphere that is unique to the State.

The Friars, who were minutes away from earning a trip to the field of 64 last season, are seeking their first signature win of the season unless you count an October exhibition win over 4 time National Champion UConn as one.

URI, who beat Seton Hall in New York last week despite being down 2 starters, will look to improve to 2-0 vs the Big East on the season. URI’s current winning streak over Big East opponents also includes an 84-72 trouncing of Creighton in last year’s NCAA tournament.

Local expectations are high as both schools have eyes on becoming the first from Rhode Island to advance to the NCAA tournament’s second weekend since 1998 when URI made it to the elite 8.
17 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Brilliant
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Providing another example of PC low class - I've got a million of them - here's a gem; remember how one of their message board moderators called the Ramettes "borderline exotic dancers". Now picking on women is the lowest of the low especially when you target young women who show initiative, hard work and enthusiasm in their roles as members of a dance team. To level such unfounded criticism is bad enough, but then to compound it by not manning up to the outrage is beyond the pale. Sort of like Roy Moore and his claim of Christian values.
5 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Looks like the opening line is URI -2.5
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URI2006_Andy wrote:Pop and Pick: URI edition

URI will host PC tomorrow evening at the Ryan Center. PC, who has never won a Big East regular season title, will enter the game as underdogs for the 3rd straight season. But the Friars have embraced the underdog role and have given the defending Atlantic 10 champs trouble over the last several years. After playing in front of a lethargic Civic Center crowd on Wednesday night, Coach Cooley suggested that it’s something about that sold out Ryan Center atmosphere that is unique to the State.

The Friars, who were minutes away from earning a trip to the field of 64 last season, are seeking their first signature win of the season unless you count an October exhibition win over 4 time National Champion UConn as one.

URI, who beat Seton Hall in New York last week despite being down 2 starters, will look to improve to 2-0 vs the Big East on the season. URI’s current winning streak over Big East opponents also includes an 84-72 trouncing of Creighton in last year’s NCAA tournament.

Local expectations are high as both schools have eyes on becoming the first from Rhode Island to advance to the NCAA tournament’s second weekend since 1998 when URI made it to the elite 8.
This is really good. You just got the assignment to do the write-up for the game thread next year. Congrats - its a gift and curse.
Obadiah wrote:Providing another example of PC low class - I've got a million of them - here's a gem; remember how one of their message board moderators called the Ramettes "borderline exotic dancers". Now picking on women is the lowest of the low especially when you target young women who show initiative, hard work and enthusiasm in their roles as members of a dance team. To level such unfounded criticism is bad enough, but then to compound it by not manning up to the outrage is beyond the pale. Sort of like Roy Moore and his claim of Christian values.
One of my favorite things in the world is that erudite, genteel, high-brow Obadiah possibly hates PC as much as me and Billyboy and some of the other scoundrels here (no offense, Billyboy).
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:

This is really good. You just got the assignment to do the write-up for the game thread next year. Congrats - its a gift and curse.
Obadiah wrote:Providing another example of PC low class - I've got a million of them - here's a gem; remember how one of their message board moderators called the Ramettes "borderline exotic dancers". Now picking on women is the lowest of the low especially when you target young women who show initiative, hard work and enthusiasm in their roles as members of a dance team. To level such unfounded criticism is bad enough, but then to compound it by not manning up to the outrage is beyond the pale. Sort of like Roy Moore and his claim of Christian values.
One of my favorite things in the world is that erudite, genteel, high-brow Obadiah possibly hates PC as much as me and Billyboy and some of the other scoundrels here (no offense, Billyboy).
Ahh, I've been called a lot worse. And hate is a strong word. Although it does apply in this case.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....is this game gonna big to large of a stage for Fatts??........no, I see him making major impacts.....
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Please !!

No talk about practice!!

We have a nearly 7000+ seat on campus arena!!!!

PC has a dump downtown!!

So they be getting a practice facility.....

So what??

FKNA
Couldn’t have said it any better. The next time I see Koch at the Ryan Center I’m going to rip into him. I tired of his BS
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Bill Koch wrote:

Since you asked directly, Elm City, happy to clarify. The quote from the podcast, in part: 'You could see Providence run off and win 15, 16 out of 20 in this series.'

Yes, that does include the current seven straight. I apologize if that didn't come across clearly.

A win this year is a must in my mind for URI. A win next year could prove difficult with a younger team and it being a road game.

For the sake of argument, let's say URI does lose Saturday and again next year. That's nine straight. Providence would have to go 6-5 over the next 11 to arrive at 15 wins out of 20. That was my calculus, anyway.
More useless hot air from our resident wind bag.

Any reason why you didn't challenge Cooley about his attendance comments?

Specifically how URI is the only OOC game PC sells out?

Or how PC averaged a pathetic 4900 per game (35% capacity) in the OOC if you remove the attendance from the URI game?
5 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This is excellent!!!!!
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You are damn correct, Truepoint!!
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Bill Koch wrote:

Bill,

Thank you for the response - I was assuming you meant going forward and not counting the current losing streak.

I agree - this game is a game uri has to have .
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Great example of how a writer can spin a story either way. As a former Rhode Islander I understand too well the area's negativity and pessimism when it comes to sports (ok, and politics). Usually it's more a 'style' than a real belief. But personally I like the optimistic, though realistic take on things. We've have it hard enough (CFL cough cough) without also battling what can be perceived as a glass-half-empty approach from our own beat writers, talk show hosts, etc etc.

Lastly as a life-long journalist, I can tell you the wonderful take Andy gave on the upcoming game would be considered by many newsroom bosses as too milktoast. But never in one of my newsrooms. Great job Andy on showing how positive our coverage could be without the obvious 'homer' bias.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are we sure the brawl game was 1990 ?? I thought it was 92 ??
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Bill Koch wrote:

Zero problem with this quote, I knew where he was going with that from the jump. I’m glad Koch picked PC to win as well. Kmac picked URI and if we win it’s the well you should of won story. Koch picking PC shows this game is a picked type game which is spot on. You’ll never agree with a sports writer 100% of the time but we’re extremely lucky to have somebody who covers the program like Bill does, nobody works harder that’s for sure.
3 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

It's bullshit that I can only heart this post once.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bill Koch wrote:

Bill your comment was very misleading. Easy to assume you meant 15-16 out of 20 going forward. When people make predictions (which you were doing) they don’t go backwards/include things that have already happened. Even so, your comment as you clarified comes out to PC winning 8-9 out of next 13. Still very negative. Seemed unprompted. It is like you are piling on. You don’t need to be a URI fan but this seems over the top negative.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”