Any injury updates?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Any injury updates?

Unread post by RF1 »

Today marks two weeks since EC and Cyril last played vs Nevada. EC was expected to miss 4-6 weeks with his fractured wrist while no timetable was ever given for Langevine's groin injury. I am not expecting Mathews to return for several more weeks but would love to get Cyril back for this Saturday vs PC and next Tuesday vs Alabama. Has anyone heard any update on these injuries with possible return target dates?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Any injury updates?

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

1 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:

That sounds encouraging. Hope he heals up fast and is back for Saturday. That would equate to nearly three weeks of taking it easy.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If I were Hurley, I would not play Cyril against Brown, even if he is practicing fully. It is a long season. Coaches don't always do what I think they should do, though.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

AGREED TP !
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I mean.. if he is healthy.. dress him if for some reason we need him.. but this should be last resort in my opinion

like you said.. might as well take an extra game off to get stronger for PC/BAMA

2 HUGE games...

but first things first.. beat brown !
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If he is 100%, he should play vs. Brown, but limited minutes. Only to get his reps back up. He's been off two weeks.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......sit CL for this game, get Mike Layssard some meaningful minutes.....see if Akele can find his way around......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rest Cyril for PC
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep. Cyril can come back for PC. Seems like the obvious move assuming he can go Saturday.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I heard it was a hernia for Cyril...but that is not 100%.
Also EC told someone in the BK hotel he wanted to be back in 2 weeks.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote:I heard it was a hernia for Cyril...but that is not 100%.
Also EC told someone in the BK hotel he wanted to be back in 2 weeks.
I thought hernias require surgery.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They do and usually a 2-3 week recovery time post op. Maybe that isn't what it was if his trajectory is trending towards him getting back on the floor.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

If it is a hernia and requires surgery, why have they waited so long to do it. Doesn't make sense.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Good points, i thought it was mentioned in the post game something about a groin situation and i heard some whispers in BK
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You don’t have to have surgery with a herina but it would bother him some all year. DH talked about additional test last week. My guess is they tested for a herina and he doesn’t have one. That’s the reason for DH’s positive comment today.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:If it is a hernia and requires surgery, why have they waited so long to do it. Doesn't make sense.
I don't know whether he has a hernia or not, but hypothetically if he did and he actually had the surgery as soon as they got back from Reno...wouldn't that line up time wise with him targeting a return to the court at the end of this week? I don't think the team is under any obligation to announce something like that.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If he had the surgery he wouldn’t have practiced last week.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Do we know that he really practiced or did he put on shorts and stand around on the court? I know there was a picture of him at practice. Not conspiracy theorizing, just wondering.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

If Cyril is ok now I am in favor of him playing limited minutes against Brown to shake any rust off. Some solid touches in the post early in the game would be nice just to make sure he has his game feel back. Putting him into a huge game like PC with being out over 3 weeks might reflect in his play and work against a bit at least offensively. I’m also hoping the staff has really made him watch tape on his defensive mistakes with touch fouls/leaving his feet on head fakes etc. I would be very happy to have him back full strength. Berry needs to still start in my opinion. Berry can’t play deep minutes either way because of his conditioning so Cyril would still get plenty of minutes. I still feel Berry will give us more offensively and Cyril is the better defender when he’s not fouling. Thoughts....?
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

When Cyril comes back I like him starting along with Andre in the front court and a backcourt of Jared JD and either Stan or JG
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote:You don’t have to have surgery with a herina but it would bother him some all year. DH talked about additional test last week. My guess is they tested for a herina and he doesn’t have one. That’s the reason for DH’s positive comment today.
When was the last time a URI player had surgery and we didn't know.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Just playing devils advocate here...if we didn't know about it, how would we know when it happened?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Just playing devils advocate here...if we didn't know about it, how would we know when it happened?
They didn't keep EC's surgery a secret. They didn't keep Thompson's secret. Why would they keep surgery to Langevine a secret?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Well first of all, those guys were going to miss the whole year, whereas If they wanted seton hall to have to prepare for Cyril, they could accomplish that by not announcing a surgery. If they thought he was going to be back in 3 weeks, why would they announce it? I wouldn't. EC was injured in front of God and everyone. There was no mystery to preserve in that case. Second, I don't recall that they announced Thompson's surgery right when they did it.

Again, just want to stress that I'm not convinced this happened and I'm not trying to convince anyone else that it happened, either. I'm just posing the hypothetical.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I'm done debating something that didn't happen.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I physically talked to Cyril on Thursday and he was walking around normal. Anyone who’s experienced anything like a sports hernia isn’t walking around anywhere close to regular.

Some drunk in Brooklyn decided to spread a rumor, probably to the same people.

This isn’t something that happened nor should it be brought up.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That's good news. Good reporting.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote:I physically talked to Cyril on Thursday and he was walking around normal. Anyone who’s experienced anything like a sports hernia isn’t walking around anywhere close to regular.

I was definitely drunk in Brooklyn but I don't remember starting any rumors.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I physically talked to Cyril on Thursday and he was walking around normal. Anyone who’s experienced anything like a sports hernia isn’t walking around anywhere close to regular.

I was definitely drunk in Brooklyn but I don't remember starting any rumors.
Hahahahahah you were definitely drunk in Brooklyn.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Well first of all, those guys were going to miss the whole year, whereas If they wanted seton hall to have to prepare for Cyril, they could accomplish that by not announcing a surgery. If they thought he was going to be back in 3 weeks, why would they announce it? I wouldn't. EC was injured in front of God and everyone. There was no mystery to preserve in that case. Second, I don't recall that they announced Thompson's surgery right when they did it.

Again, just want to stress that I'm not convinced this happened and I'm not trying to convince anyone else that it happened, either. I'm just posing the hypothetical.
I think Iggy is referring to EC’s second surgery to his knee.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Strong inside info Blue
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

LMAO, we need strong inside info to refute a made up rumor that Cyril had a hernia and then a made up “what if” by TP on top of that about a surgery they didn’t tell anyone about. This when Dan was quoted about Cyril going through a workout with trainer Daniel Anthony and Marshall last Monday. Maybe that was made up too
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:LMAO, we need strong inside info to refute a made up rumor that Cyril had a hernia and then a made up “what if” by TP on top of that about a surgery they didn’t tell anyone about. This when Dan was quoted about Cyril going through a workout with trainer Daniel Anthony and Marshall last Monday. Maybe that was made up too
I thought the same. :roll: :roll:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:LMAO, we need strong inside info to refute a made up rumor that Cyril had a hernia and then a made up “what if” by TP on top of that about a surgery they didn’t tell anyone about. This when Dan was quoted about Cyril going through a workout with trainer Daniel Anthony and Marshall last Monday. Maybe that was made up too
To be clear, I was not saying that he had a hernia or that he had surgery. I was only saying that I wasn't sure that we would know if he did (in response to someone saying that because we hadn't heard, that meant it didn't happen - in my experience, that isn't a good assumption).

Now, I am not going to second guess Cyril playing in this game, I'm just going to say I wouldn't have played him. If he wasn't good enough to go in a game that could have made the season and in which he was really needed, he cannot be healthy enough to play in a game 4 days later that we should win by 25 points without him. Just my honest opinion.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

EC cleared to start shooting tomorrow, aiming for a return 12/16 against Charleston (per EC on the halftime show).
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome news !!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Very encouraging. I am excited that he is already cleared to shoot.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Nothing was made up.
Nothing was told to anyone by a drunk person or whatever was inferred.
Let's leave at that, happy the kid is back on the court and seems good to go. We need him.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

EC gonna pull a Willis Reed and play in the game?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Ramulous wrote:EC gonna pull a Willis Reed and play in the game?
I wish. But, as important as the PC game is, I don't want to jeopardize the rest of his senior year.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Akele didn’t play because of an injury?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

KevanBoyles wrote:Akele didn’t play because of an injury?
He hurt his ankle in practice on Thursday. It didn't look too serious when he was walking around during the shootaround.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Akele injury completely caught me by surprise.... luckily we avoided deep foul trouble today.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Reports have E.C. hoping to return on 12/16, which is the early part of that initial 4-6 week range. They’ve got Alabama on Wednesday and then over a week off until the next game. That’s boring for fans, but good for the team, as they have several guys who are banged up.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Cyril could stI'll use some healing. Any word on Berry's shoulder?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The timing of the upcoming 10 day break [after Alabama] will really help the guys who are banged up.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I really am worried about Cyril he looks so lost on offense

We need him healthy and the force he was last year
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Akele's injury was a blessing in disguise.
0 x
Go Rhody