Any injury updates?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Any injury updates?

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m not sure I get the Akele hatred on here...there was a point last year where people were calling for him to play over Iverson (not sure why) but good god...kid is a model student and teammate who plays servicible minutes. He was never brought here to be a starter or star, and came into the season as the 2nd or 3rd guy off your bench.

When EC comes back Nik may be 4th into the game.

We are a fickle, bitchy fan base.

I just never understand how in the midst of so much good, you can always count on someone to find something to bitch about. I’m not even mad at this point, kind of impressed.
12 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Totally agree. Well said Blue Man.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cox points out in his interview that when you have a lot of starters coming back it's harder to recruit and during those years you often end up with role players. That was the case with Akele and Thompson.
That they were able to land someone as good as Fatts this year is great recruiting.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

When is that picture from? I think that is Soph year (3 years ago).
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Either freshman or sophomore year.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I worry that Cyril's offense is not his strong point.....injured or otherwise.....he should just bang on D and get rebounds and kick them out to the perimeter on offense....the occasional put back.....I'm sorry....that's how I see it......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Ramulous wrote:I worry that Cyril's offense is not his strong point.....injured or otherwise.....he should just bang on D and get rebounds and kick them out to the perimeter on offense....the occasional put back.....I'm sorry....that's how I see it......
and really we dont need anything more than that from him. Be a physical, nasty defender and rebounder, offense by accident. Let Berry be the scorer down low.

The perfect player for Cyril to mirror on this year's team is Kendrick Perkins. Big, physical, nasty streak
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nothing to worry about...it's not
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Ramulous wrote:I worry that Cyril's offense is not his strong point.....injured or otherwise.....he should just bang on D and get rebounds and kick them out to the perimeter on offense....the occasional put back.....I'm sorry....that's how I see it......
and really we dont need anything more than that from him. Be a physical, nasty defender and rebounder, offense by accident. Let Berry be the scorer down low.

The perfect player for Cyril to mirror on this year's team is Kendrick Perkins. Big, physical, nasty streak
The one thing, we'll maybe 2, I'd like Cyril to work on is blocking shots without fouling. I miss Hassan 's rim protection.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yes, we need Cyril to be a good defender, but he was brought in to be a starter and not a role player. That he has no shot is a detriment to that role.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Obadiah wrote:Yes, we need Cyril to be a good defender, but he was brought in to be a starter and not a role player. That he has no shot is a detriment to that role.
:roll: not at the 5... defensive center is a looooong established role for a starter, and goes back decades in basketball
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The problem with Cyril is he is missing very easy shots he should be making and was making last year
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:I’m not sure I get the Akele hatred on here...there was a point last year where people were calling for him to play over Iverson (not sure why) but good god...kid is a model student and teammate who plays servicible minutes. He was never brought here to be a starter or star, and came into the season as the 2nd or 3rd guy off your bench.

When EC comes back Nik may be 4th into the game.

We are a fickle, bitchy fan base.

I just never understand how in the midst of so much good, you can always count on someone to find something to bitch about. I’m not even mad at this point, kind of impressed.
I mean, a handful of people are hinting that getting back a conference tournament MVP/first team all conference guy/potential conference player of the year could be a liability, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

It’s an embarrassment of guard riches, and we shall embrace it!
5 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Any news on EC? I know he mentioned during the Brown game possibly being back for Charlestown but I haven't heard anything since then.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

josephski wrote:Any news on EC? I know he mentioned during the Brown game possibly being back for Charlestown but I haven't heard anything since then.
He has been expected to play on Saturday. I've heard nothing different.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Any news on Ryan Preston? I've yet to see anything other than the post here about it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm shocked there hasn't been any news on this given the super coverage we supposedly get.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

bigappleram wrote:I'm shocked there hasn't been any news on this given the super coverage we supposedly get.
I too am shocked. But feeling lucky nonetheless.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:I'm shocked there hasn't been any news on this given the super coverage we supposedly get.
That doesn’t seem fair. This staff’s always cagey about injuries. Why let an opponent know something ahead of time?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote:
That doesn’t seem fair. This staff’s always cagey about injuries. Why let an opponent know something ahead of time?
C'mon now Ace, it's a slow Wednesday needed something to pass the time ;)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:
ace wrote:
C'mon now Ace, it's a slow Wednesday needed something to pass the time ;)
Does URI even have a team anymore? Have they disbanded? So long without Rhody basketball...

It’s been nothing but football related ACL sadness in my sports world.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

In mine too, Carson was going to deliver me a fantasy super bowl win!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

WLNE-6 sports reported that Hurley indicated that EC is now FULL practicing and is expected to play Saturday.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....great news.....how much playing time he gets......start, off bench?.....can’t believe I am going here.....any rust?.....hopefully will not need to play major minutes as score is in our favor and game outcome not in question.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Sooo Preston?
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obviously the coaches aren't addressing it either way.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Preston is averaging 9 minutes a game and 2.4 points per game.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I’d be thrilled to have EC back. It’s going to take some time for his game to return so everybody just needs to stay positive and remember how important he is to our long term success this season.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My concern about Preston is not replacing his current PT, but the development that is delayed when he sees NO PT.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Wouldn't be surprised if Charleston beats us by 15. Preston's our backbone.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URI'21 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Charleston beats us by 15. Preston's our backbone.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Fret not tho....bad knees, stiff neck, tweaked ankle, (aka "old") but I'm still a go for Saturday. 8-)
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Feeling the same pain here Ace. Hope Nick foles can still get them to the Super Bowl. Meanwhile it's back to Rhode Island
Saturday for the Charleston game. a big win would help ease the pain and worry about the Eagles.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Preston is worth more to this team than people think. Best shot blocker and probably out most athletic player.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very athletic guy I would hate to see him miss a lot of time
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......regarding Preston......I give him a solid meh for first semester grade.....C+ to B- range....I agree any lost time before the A-10 sked will delay his development at this level.....I did expect him to make major impacts once the in conference games begin.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I have been away, but can someone fill me in on what is happening to Preston?? Is he injured??
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

What seriously can Preston do that EC can't? Outside of being taller, I just don't see much. With EC back in the fold hard Preston was probably already going to see his minutes decrease. I see our "bigs" being Berry, Langevine, Akele, Robinson, and if there's foul trouble maybe even EC. Especially with A10 play starting where 4 guards can be far more effective than in our OOC schedule.

For what it's worth though, I was told he would only miss 1 or 2 games and that it's nothing serious.
Last edited by Dre3000 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Dre3000 wrote:What seriously can Preston do that EC can't? Outside ou'd being taller, I just don't see much. With EC back in the fold hard Preston was probably already going to see his minutes decrease. I see our "bigs" being Berry, Langevine, Akele, Robinson, and if there's foul trouble maybe even EC. Especially with A10 play starting where 4 guards can be far more effective than in our OOC schedule.

For what it's worth though, I was told he would only miss 1 or 2 games and that it's nothing serious.
Robinson is a 6'5 Guard.
0 x
GO RAMS
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:What seriously can Preston do that EC can't? Outside ou'd being taller, I just don't see much. With EC back in the fold hard Preston was probably already going to see his minutes decrease. I see our "bigs" being Berry, Langevine, Akele, Robinson, and if there's foul trouble maybe even EC. Especially with A10 play starting where 4 guards can be far more effective than in our OOC schedule.

Robinson is a 6'5 Guard.
Pretty sure that's why Dre put bigs in quotes. Stan's our leading rebounder right now and when we go with four guards he's pretty much playing the "big" role at least on defense.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

josephski wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:

Robinson is a 6'5 Guard.
Pretty sure that's why Dre put bigs in quotes. Stan's our leading rebounder right now and when we go with four guards he's pretty much playing the "big" role at least on defense.
Yea I got that afterwards. But why is he comparing EC and Preston?
0 x
GO RAMS
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
josephski wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
Robinson is a 6'5 Guard.

Because we lose Preston but get EC back... which in my opinion means we'll see a lot more 4 guard lineups.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Dre3000 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
josephski wrote:

Because we lose Preston but get EC back... which in my opinion means we'll see a lot more 4 guard lineups.
okay gotchya, but we have Akele back.
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well if he is questionable that's a great sign he won't miss much time
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Hmmm, a sports hernia...i guess that drunk guy finally got to Koch.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote:Hmmm, a sports hernia...i guess that drunk guy finally got to Koch.
Ah yes the secret sports hernia surgery that had cyril back and playing for a few games. Happens all the time.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I never said a word about surgery. That was innuendo from other posters.
0 x