Game #13 - URI vs. Brown, in-game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Game #13 - URI vs. Brown, in-game

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rod, re: Munford - Hurley said after the game that he couldn't tie his own shoes. He has a bruised tailbone, and there isn't much to do to treat it besides ice, heat/cold compressions, etc.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Big kudos for playing hurt.
The kid is tough. I found out about the injury on the post game show.
Bobby said TJ undercut him on a drive and Munford fell on his
talibone, and bruised it.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We will win against opponents who can't dominate us inside because we will shutdown perimeter shooters. Malone was on Alpern for most of the game except for short stints by TJ. Andre never left him. How did they beat PC when we beat them with such a poor offensive showing?

Hare has regressed and Brooks deserved the start. My hopes for a strong conference showing by URI is going down the tubes. Hare shy's away from contact. He needs to play with more heart.

Powell was in the air before he knew where he was going to pass.

URI was standing around on offense at the start of the game. The passing is not crisp. Better teams are going to pick our pockets.

Malone had a solid game; Munford showed up for the second half.

TJ should move on to a lower level. He can't even hit the rim with his shot.

Brown had nine player' dressed.

I'm not seeing the steady improvement that I expected.

Disappointing.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

i would like to see ONE post up play in a game, just saying
0 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Mister Negative disses a win.
Wonder how PC would have liked a 12 point win
over Brown, ugly or not?
You can't have offensive improvement, when the parts aren't there.
No interior game at all, no real forwards. To have a post up play, you need post players, or guys capable of posting up. We don't have any. Maybe Aaman sometimes. He's just getting back.
In this game, his best player is playing hurt.
Hurley enters every game with one hand tied behind his back.
They hustle for 40 minutes and play defense. It's all you can expect.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

:)

0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

here are my thoughts:
-my new favorite chant for Brown may be the "If you can't go to Harvard, go to Brown"
-UGLY boring first half
-rebounded much better except for a few possessions
-Brooks had a good rebounding and defensive night
-Nik was iffy at best, 0 points 5 fouls including a few bad ones, did rebound well though
-the 2 goaltending calls on Hare were AWFUL, obviously the refs have never seen someone that athletic before
-good grind it out win, offense definitely improved in the second half
-X has had 2 strong second half performances in the last 2 home games (hope he can put it together for a whole game again)
-Hare needs to keep his feet on the floor instead of jumping through the roof on pump fakes
-Mike lloked good but was limited tonight (probably not 100% yet)
-TJ is improving game by game
-Powell started bad then improved as the game went on
-Bigby is going to be a defense and rebound guy and once in a while he'll have a good shooting night like he did against Seton Hall
-why did Brown foul for the final 3 minutes of the game???
-finally, great defense tonight, Brown missed some lay ups but didn't see many open 3's tonight

move on to Richmond, will need the same type of defense tonight
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And in the all important pre-game scrimmage, it looks like- after losing two in a row- Gil, Jarelle, and Biggie beat Bobby, Preston, and Ifeanyi.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote::)

I think Hurley is talking to you 72...
0 x
Jks1985
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Jks1985 »

Hope Hurley edits that tweet. Kind of unprofessional to get "then" and "than" confused.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounded like a great defensive effort

Way to go guys

We will take the W
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rod, you can try to dismiss reality through transparent name-calling, but you are denying reality and turning into a kiss-up for Coach Hurley whenever anyone attempts and honest and fair appraisal of URI's play. Hurley doesn't need you, he can flat-out coach.

Dan cannot be happy with the inconsistent play he is getting out of Nik and Jordan. OK, Jordan is a mistake-prone as are many freshman, but his play no longer deserves the "exceeds expectation" label. As a basketball player, Nik is bi-polar, and he is a senior!

This was one of the most boring games I have attended. One bright spot was watching Andre's defense on Halpern. I think part of the reason was the referees called the game tight. As URI's reputation for pushing and grabbing on defense grows we will see more and more games called this way. But it may be that this is the only way this group can win. Our tough defense is based on quickness and not physicality. We matched-up well against Brown, but we won't against most A10 teams.

One particularly bad call was when TJ and Alpern collided in front of the Brown bench late in the second half. TJ clearly got to the ball first but the refs were trailing the play and had a bad angle on making the call. Those FTs were Tucker's first points.

In my heart, I hoped for 15 wins this year, but reality is that this is a 10-12 win team as many here predicted.

Reality may set in this week against Richmond and Charlotte. It will be a learning experience for how physical we must play.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think this team, as is, going into A-10 play is about as good as its gonna get. The consistent defensive effort will keep us in some games, that is the only constant we have. The offensive end is an up and down thing, and if we get three players(X and any two others)even in lower double figures, stay out of foul truoble we/ll hang around and upset somebody. I see zero walk overs from here out. Glass 1/2 empty? Yes. The 8 cylinder "A" game is not showing up on enough nights for Rhody to be looking toward Brooklyn.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Jks1985 wrote:Hope Hurley edits that tweet. Kind of unprofessional to get "then" and "than" confused.
I am extremely concerned about this two.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

The view from 205
1. I don't know, maybe it's because the team is playing one game a week, but there was no offensive flow in the first half.
2. Maybe someone should tell x that it's eight o'clock instead of seven.
3. On the post game, which went blank for the first ten minutes, X stated that it was tough to beat someone off the dribble because of his injury, wondering that during the game.
4. Nik? he was not just missing jumpers but layups
5. I thought Mike P. pressed after he made some turnovers, did much better in the second half.
6. Got caught up in the ugliness of our offense in the first half, but should have realized the great in your face defense. They really didn't have many, if any, good looks beyond the line.
7. 20 rebounds at half time, tells you how many shots were missed by both teams.
8. Wondering why Brown fouled so many times in the last three minutes. I assume they thought they could get back in the game by making three's. Don't have the actual stats but I swear Brown had 24 points with about three minutes left.
9. We might be making mistakes, but we're giving 100% effort. Not sure how many W's we get from that in the a-10, but we will find out starting Wednesday.
10. Go Rhody!
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Winning ugly is a beautiful thing, I don't remember us winning ugly too often with Baron...One negative note is that Mike Powell must play better in conference play then he played tonight.
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You can't edit Tweets!
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

ace wrote:And in the all important pre-game scrimmage, it looks like- after losing two in a row- Gil, Jarelle, and Biggie beat Bobby, Preston, and Ifeanyi.
They are fun to watch with the intensity they put in but you mean Pre-game shooting contest not scrimmage. I know it's Bobby and Preston but still if they and If beat the other 3 in a pick-up game I'd be worried.
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

Well, it was a win, but boring was not the word for this game. It was excruciating - like a street game except I don't pay to see street games and the many empty seats tells me others don't either.

Yes, we had a great defense, but you can go only so far with that considering the Rams inept scoring. The defense kept Brown in check, but Brown had some good looks and failed to connect. In the first half alone Brown had about four nifty moves to the basket for easy lay-ups, but connected only once. Change that and we would have had a real contest.

URI spends a ton of money on T-shirts and it is money well spent because the T-shirt toss is the only time the crowd comes to life.

Sadly this was my last game to see URI play because after 22 years I am no longer a season ticket holder and donor. I gave up my tickets, not out of dissatisfaction, but because in mid January, I will re-locate to Silicon Valley. Saratoga, CA to be exact. Ending my intense involvement with URI Athletics also ends my participation on this board. Though much of my comments were not welcomed by many here, I wish you all good luck and good experiences in the future. Ditto for URI Athletics!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look at all the pissing and moaning.
Do you understand that this team has serious manpower and
basketball deficiencies?
Now we have people bitching about wins!
You don't have any forwards. Got it?
You don't have a real center. Got it?
Hare right now, is a tease. Some people get all wet over his dunks.
Sorry, fundamentally, he's not close to being a contributor.
He can't shoot at all. He tosses the ball at the basket, instead of putting both hands on the ball.
There seemed some improvement, but the last few games, he's back to square one.
Establishing position is key to post play. He doesn't.
So, now I'm an apoligist for the coach.
Your reality is to expect miracles. 15 wins? Are you frigging kidding me? With this personnel?
There are times when he substitutes, that there are only one or two scoring options.
No, the reality is Hurley is doing the best he can with what he has.
If stating that is being an apoligist, too bad.

Isaac, best of luck on your new life!
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

You stopped donating because you moved?

Enjoy California. I've heard good things.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We play such aggressive defense that I fear a game where the refs are all over us with fouls....especially in conference games where the opponents and refs know us very well.....if they call tight games we will be in trouble.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

To Isaac.....I don't understand the logic of your disassociation from being a Ram fan and posting on this board because you no longer donate to the program and no longer have season tickets....especially I don't understand that because you feel your posts don't meet universal approval.....if approval was required no one would be able to post here.....

....and I think Silicon Valley is quite a digitally friendly place.....you can probably get on the internet there.....and continue to follow a team you have followed for 22 years...and bring your insightful postings to your fellow Ram fans....

....I hope you continue on this board......I wish you godspeed in California and hope it brings you fulfillment and peace....my brother relocated to Los Angeles and Palm Springs in 2005 and has never regretted his decision....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I had PC season tickets for the first two yrs after graduation...when i lived in San Antonio...support the squad.

Enjoy Cali; wine country is amazing. Skip napa; Sonoma , paso Robles and Livermore are much better
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I was very impressed with Brown coach. If he can recruit players they could be good. If URI missed 2 more free throws and Brown hit another 3 they would've been down 7 with a minute to go. That's why he kept fouling. Wasn't fun to watch but good coaching.
Trying to turn a finesse player into a power player leads to 5 fouls and 0 points.
I am interested to see what TJ does the rest of the season now that he is healthy. Moved much better last night. Hurleys will never ask him to leave because they love his effort and basketball smarts. But I don't know that he will ever be more than a role player.
Hurley yelled at Hare for not moving his feet on defense and he then went out and blocked two shots. But he sleep walks way too often.
In top 10 of worst games in RC but it was a win.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I'm thrilled with where we are to be honest.

Some coaches would have zero wins right now.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Issac wrote: Sadly this was my last game to see URI play because after 22 years I am no longer a season ticket holder and donor. I gave up my tickets, not out of dissatisfaction, but because in mid January, I will re-locate to Silicon Valley. Saratoga, CA to be exact. Ending my intense involvement with URI Athletics also ends my participation on this board. Though much of my comments were not welcomed by many here, I wish you all good luck and good experiences in the future. Ditto for URI Athletics!

Good luck in Saratoga. A college room mate of mine grew up there after his family moved out there in the mid 60's (they have all since then moved back to New England) for his Dad's career . He had indicated it was a nice town and was fairly wealthy. I believe Steven Spielberg actually graduated from Saratoga High.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

15 Year Lurker wrote:I'm thrilled with where we are to be honest.

Some coaches would have zero wins right now.
I agree completely with this statement. And I'm not being any kind of apologist here. Sure I'd be happier if we could have a couple more wins at this point, but talk about the difference in 'culture' that has been achieved in only a few short months. This may have been a tough game to watch ( I wouldn't know, was at work and we all know what happened with the 'stream') but from all I've seen from day one of the Hurley regime we compete like a team with a concept of fundamental basketball, which has been a long time coming (lets say a decade or so). There are still frustrations for fans to suffer (for now), but they are no longer the shortfalls of poorly coached players with only half of what they need from their coaches.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

15 Year Lurker wrote:
Jks1985 wrote:Hope Hurley edits that tweet. Kind of unprofessional to get "then" and "than" confused.
I am extremely concerned about this two.
Hilarious. :lol:
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I'm not sure what people expected this season. I was at last night's game and it was an ugly win. But I left feeling satisfied with the outcome if not the quality. Hurley has been forced to essentially reinvent things.
And he admitted in Kmac's story today that this is how the team is going to have to win this season. I think the team is well-conditioned and hard working, particularly on defense. It's a bit of a mess on offense, without one major go to guy each night.
The shooting on both teams made me appreciate the lost art of shooting and the talent of Jimmy Baron, John Nelson and Kevin Whiting, old Rams who could consistently hit open jumpers. There are reasons to be optimistic about the future if not the immediate present.
How would we feel if Jim Baron was still on the bench? Hopeless.
Isaac is right on one score. The T-shirt toss excites fans more than the game itself. But basketball on the pro and college level is increasingly about things other than the game. By the way, Isaac sounds as if he is going into exile. Twenty-five years ago, it would have been very hard to follow URI basketball from California, but not so now. Isaac made it sound dire.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

GansettSummer wrote:
ace wrote:And in the all important pre-game scrimmage, it looks like- after losing two in a row- Gil, Jarelle, and Biggie beat Bobby, Preston, and Ifeanyi.
They are fun to watch with the intensity they put in but you mean Pre-game shooting contest not scrimmage. I know it's Bobby and Preston but still if they and If beat the other 3 in a pick-up game I'd be worried.
Well, sure... I was playing a little fast and loose with the word "scrimmage."
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Last year's team won seven games...with Billy Baron...and Orion Outerbridge...and Jonathan Holton. URI currently has one player -- Xavier Munford -- in the discussion with those three in terms of talent and skill. Hare is much too raw to contribute much right now, as expected. Powell is improved but still not what you would call an elite point guard. The rest are average at best or spare parts on a good team.
The fact that they're 5-8 and could win 10-12 games is remarkable. Nobody except Saint Mary's -- almost certainly an NCAA team -- has had an easy time against these guys. They defend like hell and compete like their lives depend on it. That's the culture change that was promised. It's a great place to start.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:I am interested to see what TJ does the rest of the season now that he is healthy. Moved much better last night. Hurleys will never ask him to leave because they love his effort and basketball smarts. But I don't know that he will ever be more than a role player.
Exactly. Those intangibles will keep a player on a Hurley team (getting on one requires a bit more than that). TJ won't be forced out, but his play will determine his minutes, especially next year with more options.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

3wisemen wrote:Last year's team won seven games...with Billy Baron...and Orion Outerbridge...and Jonathan Holton. URI currently has one player -- Xavier Munford -- in the discussion with those three in terms of talent and skill. Hare is much too raw to contribute much right now, as expected. Powell is improved but still not what you would call an elite point guard. The rest are average at best or spare parts on a good team.
The fact that they're 5-8 and could win 10-12 games is remarkable. Nobody except Saint Mary's -- almost certainly an NCAA team -- has had an easy time against these guys. They defend like hell and compete like their lives depend on it. That's the culture change that was promised. It's a great place to start.
This would be my take as well. I've been shocked and surprised that URI has even been this competitive, this quickly. Yes, the should have won a couple of the early season games, but when you really look at the talent level of the team, 5-8 is pretty damn good.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Regarding Brown fouling in the final three minutes, it actually wasn't a poor decision by the percentages. URI does not shoot free throws well, so Brown probably fouled, expecting URI to hit at most 1 per trip to the line. They also helped stack the odds in their favor by doing their best to foul Bigby, who essentially had to play near the end once Malesevic fouled out. (The other options were Hare and Aaman, who aren't great from the line either.) Even if URI hit both shots, Brown still needed possessions (and thus the ball) at the end of the game, and they hadn't done a good job in the second half of defensive rebounding off URI possessions. Brown did get the lead down to 10, but I think Powell finally hit two after that, and Brown missed a 3 to essentially seal it, IIRC.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I will say that I thought Hare would be a bit more polished, less green coming in. Let's hope he makes progress this season and eventually becomes what we hoped for. I think Hurley will bring him along in time.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

In a perfect world it would have been nice to maybe redshirt Jordan, or at least bring him along slowly backing up an experienced player. Not the case with this group. similar to when Michael Anderson was a freshman. He was horrible but by junior & senior yr he was pretty good. I think Jordan is way ahead of where Mike anderson was as a freshman. If he improves like Mike did we are going to have a nice big man in the yrs to come.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Regarding the Cox Online stream being down... this is my first year with the package - does anyone know if they typically issue a refund for this type of stuff or do I have to complain? I know folks have lauded their customer service before, but last night was super annoying.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

complain, i got a credit.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Regarding the Cox Online stream being down... this is my first year with the package - does anyone know if they typically issue a refund for this type of stuff or do I have to complain? I know folks have lauded their customer service before, but last night was super annoying.
Yeah just have to complain, but they will usually give a credit.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote: This is how we'll win. Just defense and grind 'em offense. 5-8. Who knows, maybe we can be a .500
miracle team?
I wish Richmond wasn't next. I think we'll be alright in conference play.
Holding Halpern to 4 points after he got 27 on PC was impressive.
They'll catch a huge break if Williams is still out for Richmond- Richmond's limited in size as it is.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund