11/28 | Brown Bears | 7:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 11/28 | Brown Bears | 7:00PM

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

wow, Fatts' coming out party tonight...
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:wow, Fatts' coming out party tonight...
Nice confidence builder for the kid.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote:Not your fault. Was a reasonable assumption.

Can I say how much I love watching this game with no commercials? Decent announcing too. Perfect stream. Best streaming product I’ve seen.
Totally agree. It was a pretty great, interactive presentation.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Not your fault. Was a reasonable assumption.

Can I say how much I love watching this game with no commercials? Decent announcing too. Perfect stream. Best streaming product I’ve seen.
Totally agree. It was a pretty great, interactive presentation.
We were just saying the same thing, very nice ... it's the future of broadcasting!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Fatts could've scored at will all game if he wanted too.

Layssard with 6! Two nice jump shots and layup.
Did well on defense, got a block. He can play!
You can tell he's excited to be out there.

Wish Tertsea got to be out there with Fatts so someone could have gotten him the ball.
He sure is big and apparently eats the most on the team :D

Having EC hang out for the second half. He showed a little more personality than he did a couple years ago when he came on the mic during games.

Fatts is forreaaaaalll.
2 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Glad to see dowtin open up his off. game tonight driving and not being tentative. Thought it was a nice confidence builder for him 7-11 fg 6 rebs. too!
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Fun game. Fatts could be a great one. I'd love to see more of that! I also was a big fan of the stream - put it on my pc, then used chromecast to get it playing on my tv!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....it was good to have Mike Layssrad get those minutes, and see some production, needs much work on positioning and defensive footwork, going to help......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Berry took a step back. Missed 2 FTs the picked up 2 quick fouls. Never really recovered. Glad to see Cyril play. He didn't look limited, but they limit his minutez. We'll need him Saturday.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I have to say that Nik played well tonight. He has 2 bad foul calls right in front of me that really limited his minutes and performance. He will help us this year.
Berry needs to play a lot better Saturday against the big guys and get some rebounds. I would say he was a big disappointment tonight. Hopefully we can get the pick and roll going for him.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

eli#10 wrote:I have to say that Nik played well tonight. He has 2 bad foul calls right in front of me that really limited his minutes and performance. He will help us this year.
Berry needs to play a lot better Saturday against the big guys and get some rebounds. I would say he was a big disappointment tonight. Hopefully we can get the pick and roll going for him.
Akele can look good against weak competition (Brown). He is lost against good talent (Nevada, Seton Hall, Virginia). I don’t see him helping at all in key games like PC,Alabama and top A10 games.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great job tonight boys to win by over 20

I had to miss the game but I am going to watch the feed in a few minutes
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fwiw Akele didn't play poorly vs Seton Hall. He had 4 points in 9 minutes. And played solid D that game. He was awful vs UVA.

Not much to takeaway from this game, Brown was god awful IMO.

Good to see Langevine moving well, best he has looked this season.
Jared and Stan have been our only two consistent guys game in and game out this year. Everyone else has been up and down.
Here's hoping on Saturday it all clicks!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dowtin looked like 2016 Dowtin , great control and touch. No one really had a bad game, maybe Andre who looked like he had great opportunities but foul trouble put him into a funk. Worthless game but that’s how you beat Brown this though. Onto PC.
0 x
GO RAMS
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We really need Berry to get out of his funk..... he appears to have lost some confidence in my opinion and it is drastically affecting his play. He is probably our best FT shooter and I think he’s missed 8 out of his last 10. He got the ball in insolation in the post and instead of posting up and going to the basket he waited until her drew another defender and passed it off. He did this multiple times and he had a significant height and strength advantage. He just isn’t playing with any aggression or passion right now. I am big supporter of Andre and I think he is very important to our success when we play good front court teams. I hope he plays like himself on Saturday.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Dowtin looked like 2016 Dowtin , great control and touch. No one really had a bad game, maybe Andre who looked like he had great opportunities but foul trouble put him into a funk. Worthless game but that’s how you beat Brown this though. Onto PC.
He got himself in a rhythm tonight.
He was also able to shoot over the Brown guards much easier than the big time teams.
Definitely didn't force it as much.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Good game but you have to realize it was against a lower half Ivy team played on home turf. Fatts was phenomenal and every time the Rams' momentum seemed to be slipping, he was there with a big three to bring them back.

Adele continues to foul at good pace, but he did put in some nice jumpers. Nice to see Downtin get back his mojo. Berry was disappointing. What has happened to his FT shooting. I think he has missed seven of his last eight attempts. Loved to see the nine steals as the Rams kept Brown off balance. Not impressed with Preston. Nice to see Layssard get minutes and some nice buckets.

On the distaff side, the team needs further improvement on its defensive effort - too many Brown lay-ups, 50% FT shooting is not great as was 16 Ram turnovers. Also, committing 22 fouls against a low level team like Brown is no defense. Crowd at 4,485 was disappointing.

But now on to PC and another shot at breaking the loss streak.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

4485 attendance is really bad guys !! Why such a poor crowd ??
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

reef wrote:4485 attendance is really bad guys !! Why such a poor crowd ??
Tuesday night against an opponent people expect to blow out. URI fans show up for events, not for the mundane work
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Like I just said in a previous post the game tonight wasn’t even close to being competitive. I love watching the rams and I did go tonight but the average basketball fan wants to see a good game not a tune up for PC.
0 x
GO RAMS
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

We had 5630 for attendance last year against Brown on a Wednesday night. More than 1000 less this year is embarrassing, I don’t know how anyone can make excuses about it.

Overall not much to take away other than it’s nice to blow out a team we should blow out. Last year after our relatively close game to Brown a bunch of people on here were making excuses, “it’s was a trap game”, “brown’s a rivalry game”, blah, blah, blah. Glad it wasn’t close and we’re playing very well going into the PC game.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

wasnt last year's game a Brown home game?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

1100 less than last year and we coming off NCAA tournament win with increased season tickets etc not good
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

urirx wrote:
Tuesday night against an opponent people expect to blow out. URI fans show up for events, not for the mundane work
Last year the game was on a Wednesday night. URI was favored by 21 1/2 points and won by only 7.

20% fewer people at basically the same game

Why did they show up last year and not this year? Both games were "mundane work" as you say.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I believe we were ranked in the Top 25
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Thought this was an interesting point from Chris-

Attendance was poor. There’s not really a defense for that. I’m also personally tired of talking about it. It will get better or it won’t, but either option has consequences.

I know it was only Brown, but the 8 blocks were nice to see.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Thought this was an interesting point from Chris-

Attendance was poor. There’s not really a defense for that. I’m also personally tired of talking about it. It will get better or it won’t, but either option has consequences.

I know it was only Brown, but the 8 blocks were nice to see.
I'm guessing the consequences are tied to Dan's future here. He has often talked about "culture". Part of that is fan support. I've seen him looking up during the national anthem and looking disgusted when he sees all those empty seats. If he has a choice, he'll go somewhere with a more passionate fan base. It's too bad. He's worked really hard at building something here and changing that culture. He's changed lots of things, but unfortunately he hasn't changed the casual fan. Maybe that once again goes back to poor marketing. I don't know. I'd hate to lose a coach due to poor marketing.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Attendance wise going forward a win Saturday night is essential.

It just is.

A loss will cost the program countless thousands of unfilled seats this season.

Win the game.

Go Rhody.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This is the very last class of game where we will see any consistent increase in attendance. It is also the least important kind based off impact to the season with NCAA as the goal.

Critical games must be sold out. Easy for PC but we will see what happens when key A10 foes arrive.

Next level down in criticality are the tricky non conf and A10 games. Those should be no less than 6000 when students are on campus.

Given that students push the number up or down by 1000, more needs to be done to keep them engaged for those games when they are on campus. We have plenty already where they aren’t here.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

We’re not going to convert casual followers into diehards. And causal followers won’t go to the game unless it’s an event as urix said. The key to a great program with great attendance is the students. Have to get more students there. Then those students who go to the games become diehards and stay interested in the program after they graduate. They become the big doners and season ticket holders of the future. And the cycle continues compounding the program’s loyal fan base over time.

My suggestion would be to move the students to behind the benches. Our most important group of people to building a bigger program and we give them the worst seats in the house.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Dan has done a lot here, but I don't blame the fan that still needs it to be proven that this team is for real. How many years of hype have we heard about this team, and we only hit pay dirt last year because we got hit in the A10 tourney.

Brown is about the least "sexy" opponent ever, I think Bryant would draw a bigger crowd. Like it or not the buzz was taken out of the air by UVA last week and we need to get a W Saturday to bring it back!
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

URI2006_Andy wrote:We’re not going to convert casual followers into diehards. And causal followers won’t go to the game unless it’s an event as urix said. The key to a great program with great attendance is the students. Have to get more students there. Then those students who go to the games become diehards and stay interested in the program after they graduate. They become the big doners and season ticket holders of the future. And the cycle continues compounding the program’s loyal fan base over time.

My suggestion would be to move the students to behind the benches. Our most important group of people to building a bigger program and we give them the worst seats in the house.
The original plan for the Ryan Center was for the 100 bowl to be students only a la Duke...but the ever tone deaf administration changed that...as well as removing The Mob from behind the benches because other teams complained it was distracting. :roll:

There's certain athletic dep't admins over the years that people involved with student attendance have had plenty of fights with as they are out to diminish student involvement, not grow it.

and reminder...you dont grow a base of diehards over night. Its a process that takes sustained success to drive it
1 x
---
---
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Attendance probably was low because people have Saturday blocked off. Saturday will take extra commitment in the festivities before leading up to the 5pm tip. That's my theory. Cause I thought about not going because I want to spend so much time out there but then I went to the Brown game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Akele looked good. Don't dribble just get open and shoot. That's his bread and butter.

Fatts. WOW.

Big Mike looked good.

Berry got down early. They didn't look for him. Berry has such great touch he would have been better off just trying to put the ball in the goal. His spins and power dribbling got him his fouls. He makes those running kind of hooks. For him I say hook it in without dribbling your first few shots and then the defense will open because when he does that it is deadly. He wasn't disappointing. His body is so slim down. Wow.

I cant believe the prices some of the tix for PC are going for.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Average attendance this season through three games is 5,054. That is down by a slight 181 from the average through three games LY. Average will take a big jump after the PC game this Saturday. There was no such signature OOC game LY at home so I would expect a higher average this year after the first seven OOC RC games.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

ace wrote:Thought this was an interesting point from Chris-
I think Jarvis is trying to do too much in terms of trying to execute the role he had when he was a sophomore. I’m sure it’s very frustrating to go from a number 1 or 2 scoring/playmaker option as a sophomore and always having the ball in your hands to a different role as as a senior.

I see his role as an off the ball 3 point shooter, a playmaker in transition, and a pest on defense. In my opinion this role wouldn’t include dribbling in the set offense so I’d have to agree with Chris. But just because it’s a different role than what he had, doesn’t mean it’s less important to the team especially given that he may be our most consistent shooter and best distributor in transition.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodylaw wrote:Dan has done a lot here, but I don't blame the fan that still needs it to be proven that this team is for real. How many years of hype have we heard about this team, and we only hit pay dirt last year because we got hit in the A10 tourney.

Brown is about the least "sexy" opponent ever, I think Bryant would draw a bigger crowd. Like it or not the buzz was taken out of the air by UVA last week and we need to get a W Saturday to bring it back!
This is absurd. How many years of hype? I don’t get this mentality. Dan has done his job, NCAA tourney, A10 championship, #1 mid major recruiting class. Not sure if people are waiting for a final four appearance to show support.
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Attendance wise going forward a win Saturday night is essential.

It just is.

A loss will cost the program countless thousands of unfilled seats this season.

Win the game.

Go Rhody.
Show your work. I showed mine that showed beating PC isn't the biggest contributor to attendance.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote:
eli#10 wrote:I have to say that Nik played well tonight. He has 2 bad foul calls right in front of me that really limited his minutes and performance. He will help us this year.
Akele can look good against weak competition (Brown). He is lost against good talent (Nevada, Seton Hall, Virginia). I don’t see him helping at all in key games like PC,Alabama and top A10 games.
I don't think we know that the same isn't true with Layssard, do we? Saw references to him hitting a couple shots...but I think that happened in a blowout after many had left the building? I think Akele is going to have a much more important role than Mike this year.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

urirx wrote:
Yep...two non-competitive, not very exciting, or really even that interesting, home games in a row. We went and it was 'nice' to see some of the players play well, but cannot wait for Saturday....the PC @ URI atmosphere is one of the very best that I've ever seen or been a part of....

I'll go to all of the games because season tix and location, but I could definitely understand some in other situations choosing not to...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:We’re not going to convert casual followers into diehards. And causal followers won’t go to the game unless it’s an event as urix said. The key to a great program with great attendance is the students. Have to get more students there. Then those students who go to the games become diehards and stay interested in the program after they graduate. They become the big doners and season ticket holders of the future. And the cycle continues compounding the program’s loyal fan base over time.

The original plan for the Ryan Center was for the 100 bowl to be students only a la Duke...but the ever tone deaf administration changed that...as well as removing The Mob from behind the benches because other teams complained it was distracting. :roll:
OK...that seems to be a reason to keep it that way...not dump it?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

I thought the league office requested that URI not put students behind the opposing bench and it was done not by choice. Several conference coaches had supposedly complained to the commissioner.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

In my opinion, one of the factors that greatly affects attendance is whether or not the game is available on TV or Web. Someone who may normally attend in person a "mundane" game like the Brown game may be content to watch it at home. The view from the couch on the huge hi-def TV with easy access to the fridge and the can can be quite appealing...

Seems like more and more games are available from home these days...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

I completely understand other coaches disliking where students were placed. But the A10 office can not override the agreement that was made with the URI student senate and the University when it came to raising student fees to pay for the Ryan Center bond. Students were promised the 100 level in exchange for the income guarantee. I really wish a cigar reporter would go read through the old Cigars about the building and funding of the convocation center and challenge the current URI admin on this promise to students, or at least start the fight to get the students their fee money back.

I will fully say I became a diehard URI fan standing in section 104, 1 person in from the seam that connects it to the 103 section. as others have said, creating a fan base is a process, and not something that can happen in a year or even 5 years. it is adding 100-200 seasons ticket holders a year, 100 new low level donors a year. The students are why URI exists and if you don't treat them as the focus of the effort, then you are missing the point.

And since I got on my soap box... did anybody receive any emails or contacts on social media asking from any arm of URI to give as part of Giving Tuesday?
3 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Now that we’re generating revenue for the conference, we should have more pull than the complaining coach (who is either gone or not winning right now anyways). So I don’t buy the league won’t let us put the students behind the bench excuse.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

URI2006_Andy wrote:Now that we’re generating revenue for the conference, we should have more pull than the complaining coach (who is either gone or not winning right now anyways). So I don’t buy the league won’t let us put the students behind the bench excuse.
really the league has no say on how seating is laid out at the Ryan Center. All they can do is request changes due to complaints (complaints that are badge of honor btw, goes to show how effective our student section is). Same way Major League Baseball cant dictate how sections of Fenway are sold/filled.

URI has final say on any Ryan Center ops. It just so happened that the complaints were received by scumbag administrators that wanted a reason to kill the student section, and this was their get out of jail card. They could (and did) make the changes and were able to hide behind "but the league asked us to". The effects of the damage done by them are still being felt in the student turn out. Lots of apathy and bad taste to reverse
1 x
---
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I thought the league office requested that URI not put students behind the opposing bench and it was done not by choice. Several conference coaches had supposedly complained to the commissioner.
League office has no say outside of safety concerns. It's the school's choice
1 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You would think Dan would have some say in the matter....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

URIrx. I also became a die hard fan from the other end of Sec 104. Those were good times. Martelli heads on sticks , etc.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:URIrx. I also became a die hard fan from the other end of Sec 104. Those were good times. Martelli heads on sticks , etc.
I still miss the Chaney masks...mostly because he was awesome about it. He loved it and had fun with it
5 x
---
---