11/28 | Brown Bears | 7:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/28 | Brown Bears | 7:00PM

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote:
theblueram wrote:
ramster wrote:
Same last year too but we had 1,145 more fannies in the seats.

Shake up the promotions/marketing departments - get students to the games.
End the family atmosphere and you will have students hanging from the rafters.
YES YES YES

Make it an exciting environment for the STUDENTS. Make them want to come and bring their friends. Make it a social event. There are not near enough students.

We had a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher percentage of Students in the Keaney Gym days. And they were loud, excited and crazy
Right. We had the entire lower bowl of Keaney. Everyone else sat upstairs. So much fun.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ramster wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Our casual fan base has no idea about games in Brooklyn. They see crap teams on the schedule on a weeknight and opt not to attend. Lots of season tix holders did the same, but at least those seats were paid for. Happens north and west of us for these kinds of games.
But not at VCU and Dayton who we are chasing to be among the Elite Teams in the A10

My issue is not with posters on this board who are out of state and stream games, or with season ticket holders, or with Alumni who buy single game tickets or mini-packs.

My issue is with the poor attendance of students and I am not blaming students. Tickets for students should be easy to get, never should have to stand in line at a game hoping to get in....never. In these days of mobile tickets, electronic tickets students can print out in their dorm rooms, tickets on their phones, it should be simple. Marketing, advertising to the students. Give students some of the better seats - not just end zone. In Keaney students had the best seats - right behind the benches of both teams. Putting them in the end zones and in the upper 300 end zones does not exactly make them want to come back and sit there for Brown.

Have things at half court cater to students. Do the kiss cam on the board for students. Get students majoring in Marketing involved in marketing the team. Can be Senior Projects. We want students but we don't market to the students - make them stand in line - "after all I had to stand in line when I was a student". Make it super, super easy for them to get tickets. Give them free popcorn with their ticket. Give T Shirts to the first 500 Students - get them in their seats an hour before the game. Open the gates 1 hour 15 minutes early - not 1 hour early and get students in their seats. Have raffles for Students in their sections - for good prizes.
I'm no marketing wizard, but I just don't see anything different at URI, nothing to entice the students to the games.
Turnover some of the people in charge of attendance promotions - don't keep them in the jobs too long.
Mobile tickets for everyone.
Get rid of the paper.
There already are no more tickets. They get in with their student ids being scanned at the doors. The line is just how fast they can scan people 2 at a time. It wouldn’t be any different if they had mobile tickets or anything.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We can discuss attendance among ourselves till the cows come home, but we all go to the games or live out of town, so what's the point? We're all kind of preaching to the choir. The thing about this game that popped out at me is that we totally outclassed them. We have elevated our program noticeably. I know this is a weak Brown team but they never had the slightest chance. WE were far superior at every position. In years past we often struggled against them. Not any more.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

As a student I felt Keaney was part of the campus. We went in and we could be crazy. In fact, I didn't even realize that that non students were there. The Ryan Center needs to be taken over by the students. Because every bad official call needs a "BULLSHIT"!!!!!!!
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

a lot of empty seats tonight at gampel pavilion for a team than won the national championship in 2014...playing against an ivy league team (Columbia).
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

steviep123 wrote:
EGram wrote:It's already been said here but i was really surprised just how good the streaming broadcast was. If you don't have one i would strongly recommend a solid HTPC. I've never used one but Chromecast and other options should work fine also.

Watching it over my dads house on his new 4k TV using the Intel Skull Canyon NUC i bought him last year. It was imo a much better experience then broadcast TV. The difference between this stream and watching last years stream on my ps4 and 720p screen was night and day.
What is an HTPC? I used Chromecast to view it on my TV and the stream in normal HD was great! I don't have a 4K tv yet and even if I did, I don't have a 4K chromecast, so I don't know if it would display it in 4K anyway. I used to plug my laptohp directly to the tv, but, my lap top died and I could never get the picture size to quite match right.
HTPC=HomeTtheater PC It's basically a computer that handles all your home entertainment. It involves a bit on an investment $100-1k depending on how much you wanna shell out. Cheaper if you have an old PC sitting around that can be utilized. This explains it pretty well, https://www.htpcbeginner.com/what-is-ht ... heater-pc/

For many people i would just go with a Chromecast, smart TV, amazon fire ect.. But if your like me and really enjoy sports/music and also like technology it's a pretty big upgrade over other options

Here's a pretty good article on the virtues of a Chromecast like device vs a HTPC. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... your-htpc/ The Chromecast has improved since this article i think but i mostly agree it will never be quite as good as a HTPC, and frankly that makes sense given the price and ease of set up difference.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How did you watch this on a fire stick or chrome cast since it was on Facebook? I have a fire stick but I watched this on Facebook on my computer. Thanks
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RhodyRam86 wrote:a lot of empty seats tonight at gampel pavilion for a team than won the national championship in 2014...playing against an ivy league team (Columbia).
Ring the bell.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

ramster wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Our casual fan base has no idea about games in Brooklyn. They see crap teams on the schedule on a weeknight and opt not to attend. Lots of season tix holders did the same, but at least those seats were paid for. Happens north and west of us for these kinds of games.
But not at VCU and Dayton who we are chasing to be among the Elite Teams in the A10

My issue is not with posters on this board who are out of state and stream games, or with season ticket holders, or with Alumni who buy single game tickets or mini-packs.

My issue is with the poor attendance of students and I am not blaming students. Tickets for students should be easy to get, never should have to stand in line at a game hoping to get in....never. In these days of mobile tickets, electronic tickets students can print out in their dorm rooms, tickets on their phones, it should be simple. Marketing, advertising to the students. Give students some of the better seats - not just end zone. In Keaney students had the best seats - right behind the benches of both teams. Putting them in the end zones and in the upper 300 end zones does not exactly make them want to come back and sit there for Brown.

Have things at half court cater to students. Do the kiss cam on the board for students. Get students majoring in Marketing involved in marketing the team. Can be Senior Projects. We want students but we don't market to the students - make them stand in line - "after all I had to stand in line when I was a student". Make it super, super easy for them to get tickets. Give them free popcorn with their ticket. Give T Shirts to the first 500 Students - get them in their seats an hour before the game. Open the gates 1 hour 15 minutes early - not 1 hour early and get students in their seats. Have raffles for Students in their sections - for good prizes.
I'm no marketing wizard, but I just don't see anything different at URI, nothing to entice the students to the games.
Turnover some of the people in charge of attendance promotions - don't keep them in the jobs too long.
Get rid of the paper.
There are no paper student tickets and haven't been for years, it's all by their ID and get swiped at the door. Besides PC games no students have ever been turned away in the Hurley era that I've heard of. They let more in than the 1,500 allotment when the inventory exists as we've seen already this year vs. UNC Asheville. Also students doors do open 1 hour and 15 mins before tip early but very few if any show up that early. Saturday's PC game is the second PC game where they have a pre-student pickup of wristbands so kids don't waste time waiting in line the night of the game and don't get in when it's sold out.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RIFan wrote:How did you watch this on a fire stick or chrome cast since it was on Facebook? I have a fire stick but I watched this on Facebook on my computer. Thanks
I opened facebook up in chrome on my desktop. At the bottom of the feed screen was the chromecast icon. I clicked on the icon and selected my chromecast and it casted to my tv with no issues.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

In firestick, you can share your phone's screen to your TV screen.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhodyRam86 wrote:a lot of empty seats tonight at gampel pavilion for a team than won the national championship in 2014...playing against an ivy league team (Columbia).
Yup. 3800 in the 11k seat Gampel for UConn vs Columbia.

These garbage non conference games will be the very last to see a significant increase. They are the least necessary to have a huge crowd. Please let’s move on.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think PC game tickets being sold on the secondary market for these huge prices are a good indication of a healthy interest in the URI rams.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote:
RIFan wrote:How did you watch this on a fire stick or chrome cast since it was on Facebook? I have a fire stick but I watched this on Facebook on my computer. Thanks
I opened facebook up in chrome on my desktop. At the bottom of the feed screen was the chromecast icon. I clicked on the icon and selected my chromecast and it casted to my tv with no issues.
I always get to the game at least an hour before it starts. There have been 4 or 5 games in the past couple of years when the student line went out of the parking lot and about 50 yards up the street
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Yup. 3800 in the 11k seat Gampel for UConn vs Columbia.

These garbage non conference games will be the very last to see a significant increase. They are the least necessary to have a huge crowd. Please let’s move on.
Well to be fair UConn isn't very good right now. Their fans really are getting restless. If it wasn't for the women's team.....

And they barely won that game last night....against a VERY bad Ivy League team.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rhody74 wrote:In firestick, you can share your phone's screen to your TV screen.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RIFan wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:In firestick, you can share your phone's screen to your TV screen.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
Works well. Here are the instructions:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201453020
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Here's a pretty good guide that shows how to do it with fire stick on windows 10. http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsof ... e-tv-stick

Chromecast is even easier as the google chrome browser has a built in features for mirroring on your Chromecast.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhodyKyle wrote:
I always get to the game at least an hour before it starts. There have been 4 or 5 games in the past couple of years when the student line went out of the parking lot and about 50 yards up the street
and do you think any of these students in line failed to get into the game?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
RhodyKyle wrote:
and do you think any of these students in line failed to get into the game?
probably
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

GansettSummer wrote:
ramster wrote:

Get rid of the paper.
There are no paper student tickets and haven't been for years, it's all by their ID and get swiped at the door. Besides PC games no students have ever been turned away in the Hurley era that I've heard of. They let more in than the 1,500 allotment when the inventory exists as we've seen already this year vs. UNC Asheville. Also students doors do open 1 hour and 15 mins before tip early but very few if any show up that early. Saturday's PC game is the second PC game where they have a pre-student pickup of wristbands so kids don't waste time waiting in line the night of the game and don't get in when it's sold out.
I have definitely heard of students being turned away in past years. But I'll take your word for it that they do not get turned away anymore. Still though, I am disappointed in student turnout at URI with Hurley now in his 6th year and the program rolling. After last year's A10 Championship and NCAA Tournament win I never expected attendance to start off as poorly as it has. PC always is a big game, can't infer anything from Saturday. Hopefully I'm wrong and things turnaround
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

bigappleram wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:Dan has done a lot here, but I don't blame the fan that still needs it to be proven that this team is for real. How many years of hype have we heard about this team, and we only hit pay dirt last year because we got hit in the A10 tourney.

Brown is about the least "sexy" opponent ever, I think Bryant would draw a bigger crowd. Like it or not the buzz was taken out of the air by UVA last week and we need to get a W Saturday to bring it back!
This is absurd. How many years of hype? I don’t get this mentality. Dan has done his job, NCAA tourney, A10 championship, #1 mid major recruiting class. Not sure if people are waiting for a final four appearance to show support.
Sorry, I agree with Rhody law. A mid-week game against Brown right after TGiving break won't cause the casual fan to hop in the car and drive to South County. Last year's regular season was underwhelming. People are tired of hype. They want to see consistent results and exciting basketball. URI won the A-10 tourney (3 games in 3 days) which is different than winning the A-10 regular season. URI did get to the NCAA tourney. But that doesn't mean that the program has "arrived" like Gonzaga or Butler. Casual fans don't care about the #1 mid-major recruiting class...those kids are walking their high school hallways anyways. What does that have to do with putting fannies in the seats right now? Dan has not done his job. He has to continue to do a job. Did Kevin Ollie do his job b/c he won a title? Guess what...his job is far from over.

A Tuesday night game against Brown will be a hard draw anywhere in the country.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I would expect that opinion from you PMM. The next time you express a positive sentiment would be the first, you must be a big hit at parties. The cliched internet contarian.

Dan’s job was to make this program relevant again, get back to the tourney, and build something sustainable. Check, check, check. Of course the job is never done, duh, he’s still the active coach and there is always more to be done. But curmudgeons like you who continue to move the goal posts (we won the A10 tourney but not he regular season, yes we made the tourney but our regular season wasn’t exciting enough for me) are why some people can’t have nice things. A blind person can see the program has never been in a stronger position since the late 90s.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is particularly hilarious because when the board sentiment was going the other way (when we were griping about Bill Koch calling the fan base out over attendance and other issues), PMMM took the exact opposite stance. Not as if anyone needed more of it, but here is more proof that the guy is here to argue with people and doesn’t even have a point of view - good, bad or otherwise.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Until or unless this team becomes a perennial/count on Top 20 team, aren't these things going to prevent it from filling the house midweek against nobody?

-out in the middle of the woods
-1/2 hr from closest city (which already has a successful BE team)
-only one lane roads to get it

I LOVE those things about this area, but just think it's going to be hard to regularly fill the house with those factors in place, unless the team is (close to being) a national power? Anyone know what our 'true' comps are and how they are doing? People talk about Gonzaga, but, doesn't Spokane have twice the population of this county? Just curious if there are schools with similar location demographics that pack their places every night and how they do it...
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Until or unless this team becomes a perennial/count on Top 20 team, aren't these things going to prevent it from filling the house midweek against nobody?

I LOVE those things about this area, but just think it's going to be hard to regularly fill the house with those factors in place, unless the team is (close to being) a national power? Anyone know what our 'true' comps are and how they are doing? People talk about Gonzaga, but, doesn't Spokane have twice the population of this county? Just curious if there are schools with similar location demographics that pack their places every night and how they do it...
I second this...I unfortunately believe that with those variables we need sustained success over several seasons and multiple top 25 appearances before this place comes close to selling out on a regular basis. How many of us on this board live out of state? We are some of the more hardcore fans and we cannot regularly support our team in person.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We should just stop talking about selling out the place and games like Brown in the same sentence. Makes zero sense. Look at the Huskies and Friars.

Again, this is a tiered thing. Top critical games must be sold out. Other than the PC game, let's see how that goes down the stretch this season.

Second tier are the tricky conference or non-conf games that should be 6000+.

Third tier are the garbage non-conf games that the Uconns and Friars with their resources and success ALSO cannot come close to selling out, and often see <50% building filled.

Brown is NOT the barometer. Please let's see what happens the rest of the season before crying for help. We know there are record pre-sales and with a PC win and continued wins in non-conf, the team will be ranked and ready to rip through the A10. That should bring LOTS of fans.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Once again, a PC win does not bring more fans...
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote:Once again, a PC win does not bring more fans...

And your source of information on this is how old? when is the last time we beat a good PC team and had the kind of hype around the team as we do now?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:

And your source of information on this is how old? when is the last time we beat a good PC team and had the kind of hype around the team as we do now?
This is not my theory. I believe the total opposite. He claims to have the numbers to back it up.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

This is not my theory. I believe the total opposite. He claims to have the numbers to back it up.

In this instance, I don't think numbers matter. There would be no recent facts, and by recent I mean the last 15 years, to support that contention. I'm not sure we have had a win over a good PC team when we also had high aspirations since the Ryan Center was built.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

In this instance, I don't think numbers matter. There would be no recent facts, and by recent I mean the last 15 years, to support that contention. I'm not sure we have had a win over a good PC team when we also had high aspirations since the Ryan Center was built.
I've told him to forget all of his numbers and to just use some common sense.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:

That was some billyboy78 sarcasm there...
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Thanks for the info on how to mirror the phone on the Fire Stick...of course i have an iPhone and a mac! I found some youtube videos that show how to do it with those.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RIFan wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Until or unless this team becomes a perennial/count on Top 20 team, aren't these things going to prevent it from filling the house midweek against nobody?

I second this...I unfortunately believe that with those variables we need sustained success over several seasons and multiple top 25 appearances before this place comes close to selling out on a regular basis. How many of us on this board live out of state? We are some of the more hardcore fans and we cannot regularly support our team in person.
True Point...guess I'm not the only with my viewpoint. As somebody other than me stated URI needs "sustained success over several seasons." Correct, Kingston is not Spokane. As for moving the goalposts, there's nothing wrong with that. That's what competitors do. Michael Johnson runs 20 seconds in the 200 meters and then he sets a new goal to run sub 19.90. You break 80 in golf and then you set a new goal of breaking 78...or whatever it might be. This is how one improves, how people and organizations challenge others to outperform what they've previously done. Otherwise, complacency sets in. That's my point. Not being a contrarian. Once again, I'm just making simple fact-based arguments which is antithesis to what others post on this board. (Those posters simply post on emotion, name calling, and sometimes an ignorance of data.)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We beat PC and you’re over here posting in the Brown thread about Michael Johnson. I can’t.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:We beat PC and you’re over here posting in the Brown thread about Michael Johnson. I can’t.
No doubt that win yesterday definitely ruined his night. I'm just making simple fact-based arguments.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote:We beat PC and you’re over here posting in the Brown thread about Michael Johnson. I can’t.
And you're over here reading it (although you didn't really read it because it wasn't about Michael Johnson. I used that to make a point...that is called an analogy.) But not only are you reading about it post-PC but you're also posting about it. Guess there must be some truth to what I posted. Otherwise, you would have ignored it.

By the way, great win over PC. URI should now automatically have 8,000 people show up for every game according to all the slappies who are incapable of looking at anything objectively.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Your chosen screen name is a complaint. You are an internet cliche.
1 x