11/28 | Brown Bears | 7:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/28 | Brown Bears | 7:00PM

Unread post by ace »

That Philly swagger! :)

5 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I remember standing behind the bench.

Wife beater thrown on McGrath's head. Martelli kicking out the Dels guy.

CFL coming on the screen and asking students to chill out. The band not playing songs because students would say "SUCK!"

Those were the days. Our team dunked back then too.

Although, I will take these winning days over those anytime.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If they just couldn't have the students that close to the visiting bench anymore, they could have switched them to the other side of the arena in the 100's and had the people that were sitting there moved to where the students were sitting. It had nothing to do with safety or what the league wanted, it was a straight money grab. They already had the building funds dedicated from student fees, so they decided to double dip.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rhodylaw wrote:Dan has done a lot here, but I don't blame the fan that still needs it to be proven that this team is for real. How many years of hype have we heard about this team, and we only hit pay dirt last year because we got hit in the A10 tourney.

Brown is about the least "sexy" opponent ever, I think Bryant would draw a bigger crowd. Like it or not the buzz was taken out of the air by UVA last week and we need to get a W Saturday to bring it back!

Agree...Had we beaten UVA we may have snuck into the AP top 25. The loss was a buzz kill. A loss to PC and we may not see 6000 in the arena for any remaining game with the conference being so weak. A win vs. PC and Alabama...then we may have something...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:Dan has done a lot here, but I don't blame the fan that still needs it to be proven that this team is for real. How many years of hype have we heard about this team, and we only hit pay dirt last year because we got hit in the A10 tourney.

Brown is about the least "sexy" opponent ever, I think Bryant would draw a bigger crowd. Like it or not the buzz was taken out of the air by UVA last week and we need to get a W Saturday to bring it back!

Agree...Had we beaten UVA we may have snuck into the AP top 25. The loss was a buzz kill. A loss to PC and we may not see 6000 in the arena for any remaining game with the conference being so weak. A win vs. PC and Alabama...then we may have something...
Guess what... THEY ALREADY HAVE SOMETHING. I’m sorry a loss to a top 25 ACC team, while missing 40% of the starting line-up, killed your buzz. Enjoy your team or don’t, I don’t care.
15 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

[/quote]And since I got on my soap box... did anybody receive any emails or contacts on social media asking from any arm of URI to give as part of Giving Tuesday?[/quote]

Nope...got plenty of emails about opportunities to give on Giving Tuesday...but none from URI....
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

urirx wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:We’re not going to convert casual followers into diehards. And causal followers won’t go to the game unless it’s an event as urix said. The key to a great program with great attendance is the students. Have to get more students there. Then those students who go to the games become diehards and stay interested in the program after they graduate. They become the big doners and season ticket holders of the future. And the cycle continues compounding the program’s loyal fan base over time.

My suggestion would be to move the students to behind the benches. Our most important group of people to building a bigger program and we give them the worst seats in the house.
The original plan for the Ryan Center was for the 100 bowl to be students only a la Duke...but the ever tone deaf administration changed that...as well as removing The Mob from behind the benches because other teams complained it was distracting. :roll:
I completely understand other coaches disliking where students were placed. But the A10 office can not override the agreement that was made with the URI student senate and the University when it came to raising student fees to pay for the Ryan Center bond. Students were promised the 100 level in exchange for the income guarantee. I really wish a cigar reporter would go read through the old Cigars about the building and funding of the convocation center and challenge the current URI admin on this promise to students, or at least start the fight to get the students their fee money back.

I will fully say I became a diehard URI fan standing in section 104, 1 person in from the seam that connects it to the 103 section. as others have said, creating a fan base is a process, and not something that can happen in a year or even 5 years. it is adding 100-200 seasons ticket holders a year, 100 new low level donors a year. The students are why URI exists and if you don't treat them as the focus of the effort, then you are missing the point.

And since I got on my soap box... did anybody receive any emails or contacts on social media asking from any arm of URI to give as part of Giving Tuesday?
Let's not forget that the students rarely showed up back then, and in many cases, still don't (see last night). That left the bulk of those seats empty which looks awful on television.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Ace is right.. I remember last season everyone saying all we have to do is win, make the NCAA tournament, win an A10 championship and the fans will show up.

To date, they aren't showing up in the numbers expected and the excuse machine cranks up with new reasons as to why...same week as a PC home game, only beat one out of two top 25 teams, must have years of sustained winning, need to make the final four...

I believe this season is a critical one in determining if Dan stays or goes... So far we are sending a message to our head coach that we are apathetic as a fan base and as a university in our support of the team.

It feels like somehow we have maxed out our potential on what we can achieve outside of the team's success.

Our head coach is surely taking notice and he can't like what he sees. If we want to keep him around a while longer I think we are doing a poor job as a collective fan base in demonstrating this. There are some roles within the athletic department and administration that are just going through the motions.

No, I don't think I'm overacting.
6 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Using PC as a comparison since they are the closest program of similar size, they have a four year NCAA streak going and their home game vs Belmont was at 53% capacity.
2 x
GO RAMS
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Using PC as a comparison since they are the closest program of similar size, they have a four year NCAA streak going and their home game vs Belmont was at 53% capacity.
And if I was Cooley and that basketball program I would not be happy about it.

I also am not content just to compare ourselves to PC and say hey they cant get people to there games either so we are all good!
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RoadyJay wrote:Ace is right.. I remember last season everyone saying all we have to do is win, make the NCAA tournament, win an A10 championship and the fans will show up.

To date, they aren't showing up in the numbers expected and the excuse machine cranks up with new reasons as to why...same week as a PC home game, only beat one out of two top 25 teams, must have years of sustained winning, need to make the final four...

I believe this season is a critical one in determining if Dan stays or goes... So far we are sending a message to our head coach that we are apathetic as a fan base and as a university in our support of the team.

It feels like somehow we have maxed out our potential on what we can achieve outside of the team's success.

Our head coach is surely taking notice and he can't like what he sees. If we want to keep him around a while longer I think we are doing a poor job as a collective fan base in demonstrating this. There are some roles within the athletic department and administration that are just going through the motions.

No, I don't think I'm overacting.
I don't think you're overreacting at all. A passionate fan base is near the top of his list. Poor attendance is definitely a reason he could leave. And if it's after this year, most likely our great recruiting class won't be coming either, unless Cox is still here, which would seem unlikely.
3 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I am enjoying this season and go to all the games I can and do even when the team is bad as I’m sure many people on this board do. I go with the same 2 people. I can’t get any of my friends to go unless it’s against PC or Dayton or VCU. You could have the best marketing team ever and you’re not going to convince these casual fans to go. Has to be the students. And they may not show either. But we can’t use past attempts of trying to get the students involved as an excuse not to keep trying. I would devote 90% of my marketing resources to incentivizing them to come. Reserve the best seats for them, teach them the intricacies of the game so they can enjoy it more. Give them credit as part of a class. URI had bowling when I was there, I’m sure they can find a way to incorporate attending the games into a class,
maybe some type of statistics class. If the students don’t show and the place looks empty, let people move up to fill the seats.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And many of the students do need incentives. They showed up in big numbers at Rhody Madness when they got free stuff. But where were all of those students last night?
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

It's already been said here but i was really surprised just how good the streaming broadcast was. If you don't have one i would strongly recommend a solid HTPC. I've never used one but Chromecast and other options should work fine also.

Watching it over my dads house on his new 4k TV using the Intel Skull Canyon NUC i bought him last year. It was imo a much better experience then broadcast TV. The difference between this stream and watching last years stream on my ps4 and 720p screen was night and day.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:And many of the students do need incentives. They showed up in big numbers at Rhody Madness when they got free stuff. But where were all of those students last night?
Actually I thought the student turnout was pretty good last night.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The Attendance hawks suck. I went to the brown game. Dan wants to leave because there was empty seats? Whatever. I'm a URI basketball fan. I'll be there regardless.

Guy has had a long run now that he is at 6 years. Getting very close to that 10 year mark.

I'm a big DH fan. I could careless at him screaming or stomping on the court. Not a fan of the people that deride URI fans for any common fan behavior or turn around and point at URI fans when the team does something good.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:The Attendance hawks suck. I went to the brown game. Dan wants to leave because there was empty seats? Whatever. I'm a URI basketball fan. I'll be there regardless.
And this is exactly why I push back at making this a Hurley issue and something necessary to fix in order to keep him. It makes people defensive and adopt a “well screw you, then” attitude. Filling the seats isn’t about his ego, it’s about rewarding his guys with a great environment in which to play. Forget him. Aside from the disruption a program goes through with any coaching change, it goes beyond a single guy.

It’s about elevating your program, and any good coach will feel the same... resources to keep good assistant coaches, a game day atmosphere to show off to recruits, financial donations, raising the profile of a school- these are program things that go along with attendance and their importance goes way beyond whoever cashes the check as head coach.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Photos are up- love Jared’s expression in the last one

http://www.photobyfriday.com/Sports/Bas ... URI-Brown/
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:The Attendance hawks suck. I went to the brown game. Dan wants to leave because there was empty seats? Whatever. I'm a URI basketball fan. I'll be there regardless.
And this is exactly why I push back at making this a Hurley issue and something necessary to fix in order to keep him. It makes people defensive and adopt a “well screw you, then” attitude. Filling the seats isn’t about his ego, it’s about rewarding his guys with a great environment in which to play. Forget him. Aside from the disruption a program goes through with any coaching change, it goes beyond a single guy.

It’s about elevating your program, and any good coach will feel the same... resources to keep good assistant coaches, a game day atmosphere to show off to recruits, financial donations, raising the profile of a school- these are program things that go along with attendance and their importance goes way beyond whoever cashes the check as head coach.
Spot on. Some people just don't get it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:.....it was good to have Mike Layssrad get those minutes, and see some production, needs much work on positioning and defensive footwork, going to help......

Agree. It was great to see him get those minutes. 6 points, solid blocked shot. Work in positioning and defensive footwork will come along with more playing time.
All of his performances so far this year have led me to think he should get more and more time and could have a future with this team. He is not afraid to bang down low either. It's still early but encouraging.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed with that, Ace. But again we can't expect that the Brown-class of game is going to suddenly start drawing --- and I think Coach Hurley is smart to recognize that too. The real indicator will be those critical games and other tricky games where a true home court advantage is needed to push over the top. Too often we've let the team down for such big non-PC games. The one that always comes to mind was the Davidson game from a few years ago and Hurley's disgusted face while looking around the arena as he stood in line for the anthem was a sight I can't forget. I was equally disgusted the fans didn't show up for a game that ultimately could have earned the team its first regular season A10 championship and a NCAA berth 2 years earlier.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/28 | Brown Bears | 7:00PMj

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Brown game last year was on a Wednesday, we were ranked and it was before thanksgiving.

A lot of these 'casual' fans out there just spent a lot of money on thanksgiving, traveling, and Christmas gifts, so they don't want to spend money to watch us play Brown.
It's the timing of it coupled in with the fact we lost to UVA in the way that we did.
I'm sorry, but we really have to do more if we want games like this one to attract a bigger crowd.
We've had one year of real success in 15 years of this buildings existence.
Despite that one year of huge success, most of it happening in February and March,
We've had an unbelievable amount of home games where the building is packed and we've gone out and sent 6k or 7k home with their hearts broken. Over and over again. As recently as Dayton in February.
How many big home wins have we had with Dan as coach? VCU last year? Nebraska three years ago?

Furthermore, the attendance has been better!
We just broke a record for opening night attendance.
It's trending upwards. Despite all our failed attempts at big wins in front of big home crowds they still kept coming back for those big games that we would eventually lose!

We still haven't played a full season that hasn't been filled with countless heartbreakers, including last year with our back to back to back losses to Valpo, PC, Houston, and then getting murdered by La Salle at the start of conference play and of course, the Fordham game.

I want those seats filled as much as anybody. Reality is what it is. We have more to prove. To be like Wichita state and have a full arena against a crap opponent on a Tuesday night after thanksgiving.
A culture of sustained success keeps those seats filled. We don't have that yet.

Let's take another step towards our goal of having more asses in the seats by finally beating the goddamned friars for the first time THIS DECADE.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ATPTourFan wrote:Agreed with that, Ace. But again we can't expect that the Brown-class of game is going to suddenly start drawing --- and I think Coach Hurley is smart to recognize that too. The real indicator will be those critical games and other tricky games where a true home court advantage is needed to push over the top. Too often we've let the team down for such big non-PC games. The one that always comes to mind was the Davidson game from a few years ago and Hurley's disgusted face while looking around the arena as he stood in line for the anthem was a sight I can't forget. I was equally disgusted the fans didn't show up for a game that ultimately could have earned the team its first regular season A10 championship and a NCAA berth 2 years earlier.
I went to that game, there was a major accident south of Providence that spawned 2-3 additional accidents and made everything a living hell. I left East Providence at 5:30 and got to the game 10min into the 1st half. That was an extreme anomaly where the crowd was all stuck in traffic and very late to arrive. Attendance for that game was 6,050 (damn strong for a team that had 22 total wins the last 2 seasons combined).

It was also an extremely loud crowd and a lion's den atmosphere once the crowd filled in. One of the louder games I can remember under Hurley
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

A few thoughts:

-Echo the sentiments of others, TREMENDOUS streaming product. Feed from Facebook worked great on my phone. Loved the in-game interviews, really really solid all-around product.

-WOW Fatts. As someone who became (and still is!) a Sixers fan by watching Allen Iverson during my impressionable years, it is impossible to not see shades of The Answer in his game. The speed, body-contorting layups that I'm convinced will start to rattle in more... if he can become the poorest of poor man's AI then we will all be thrilled, and I think he can.

-Really solid play from Akele and Layssard in their limited minutes.

-I'm very glad Langevine was able to suit up to get some run in before the PC game. I think we'll be able to get more out of him having been able to shake off a tiny bit of rust as opposed to being thrown right into the fire against the Friars.

-I did not think we would cover the spread. Very pleasantly surprised. Tremendous defense played, very high energy on that end.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:The Brown game last year was on a Wednesday, we were ranked and it was before thanksgiving.

A lot of these 'casual' fans out there just spent a lot of money on thanksgiving, traveling, and Christmas gifts, so they don't want to spend money to watch us play Brown.
It's the timing of it coupled in with the fact we lost to UVA in the way that we did.
I'm sorry, but we really have to do more if we want games like this one to attract a bigger crowd.
Despite that one year of huge success, most of it happening in February and March,
We've had an unbelievable amount of home games where the building is packed and we've gone out and sent 6k or 7k home with their hearts broken. Over and over again. As recently as Dayton in February.
How many big home wins have we had with Dan as coach? VCU last year? Nebraska three years ago?

It's trending upwards. Despite all our failed attempts at big wins in front of big home crowds they still kept coming back for those big games that we would eventually lose!

We still haven't played a full season that hasn't been filled with countless heartbreakers, including last year with our back to back to back losses to Valpo, PC, Houston, and then getting murdered by La Salle at the start of conference play and of course, the Fordham game.

I want those seats filled as much as anybody. Reality is what it is. We have more to prove. To be like Wichita state and have a full arena against a crap opponent on a Tuesday night after thanksgiving.
A culture of sustained success keeps those seats filled. We don't have that yet.

Let's take another step towards our goal of having more asses in the seats by finally beating the goddamned friars for the first time THIS DECADE.
Yet, despite all of this, some people believe that the result of the PC game has zero effect on future attendance. Some people need to stop looking at numbers and start using some common sense.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:
-WOW Fatts. As someone who became (and still is!) a Sixers fan by watching Allen Iverson during my impressionable years, it is impossible to not see shades of The Answer in his game. The speed, body-contorting layups that I'm convinced will start to rattle in more... if he can become the poorest of poor man's AI then we will all be thrilled, and I think he can.
Sure, he might hit that freshman wall, and the conference will make adjustments, as will he. But right now, his play just makes me happy. I watched him play quite a bit in high school, and he could look under-sized in that setting... now against college guys, he really does- but he’s fearless. EC (and the rest) was spot on with his comment. Even with EC’s injury, it’s so impressive that Fatts is getting minutes on a veteran, guard-heavy team. That’s nice for future recruits to see.

There’s so much love for high school and college basketball in Philly, and I love seeing Fatts continue to get that attention from home while wearing a Rhody uniform.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
Sure, he might hit that freshman wall, and the conference will make adjustments, as will he. But right now, his play just makes me happy. I watched him play quite a bit in high school, and he could look under-sized in that setting... now against college guys, he really does- but he’s fearless. EC (and the rest) was spot on with his comment. Even with EC’s injury, it’s so impressive that Fatts is getting minutes on a veteran, guard-heavy team. That’s nice for future recruits to see.

There’s so much love for high school and college basketball in Philly, and I love seeing Fatts continue to get that attention from home while wearing a Rhody uniform.
Ace, I've probably asked you this before. Have you seen Tyrese Martin play?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

EGram wrote:It's already been said here but i was really surprised just how good the streaming broadcast was. If you don't have one i would strongly recommend a solid HTPC. I've never used one but Chromecast and other options should work fine also.

Watching it over my dads house on his new 4k TV using the Intel Skull Canyon NUC i bought him last year. It was imo a much better experience then broadcast TV. The difference between this stream and watching last years stream on my ps4 and 720p screen was night and day.
What is an HTPC? I used Chromecast to view it on my TV and the stream in normal HD was great! I don't have a 4K tv yet and even if I did, I don't have a 4K chromecast, so I don't know if it would display it in 4K anyway. I used to plug my laptop directly to the tv, but, my lap top died and I could never get the picture size to quite match right.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:The Brown game last year was on a Wednesday, we were ranked and it was before thanksgiving.

Yet, despite all of this, some people believe that the result of the PC game has zero effect on future attendance. Some people need to stop looking at numbers and start using some common sense.
Right. Why look at facts when we can just make stuff up? Disagree with me? Great, show your work.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This is just a giant rats nest of excuses, many of which should be absolutely embarrassing to utter. Nobody is talking about not filling the arena for Brown. What it comes down to is we drew 1100 fewer fans year over year. That's terrible. End of story.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ace wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

Guess what... THEY ALREADY HAVE SOMETHING. I’m sorry a loss to a top 25 ACC team, while missing 40% of the starting line-up, killed your buzz. Enjoy your team or don’t, I don’t care.

I do enjoy my team. I was one of the 4500 or so in attendance last night and will be at all 16 home games. I'm there at least a half hour before game time and don't leave until the last fight song is played after the game. The fact is fans didn't turn out in droves for last night's game. There may be several reasons one of which is that beating Virginia may have gotten us into the top 25 and created more of a buzz leading to a larger attendance. I'm okay if you disagree with that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So just for sake of argument say we beat Virginia and entered the AP poll at 25 what is the attendance last night ??

Maybe 300 higher but still below 5k
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Agreed with that, Ace. But again we can't expect that the Brown-class of game is going to suddenly start drawing --- and I think Coach Hurley is smart to recognize that too. The real indicator will be those critical games and other tricky games where a true home court advantage is needed to push over the top. Too often we've let the team down for such big non-PC games. The one that always comes to mind was the Davidson game from a few years ago and Hurley's disgusted face while looking around the arena as he stood in line for the anthem was a sight I can't forget. I was equally disgusted the fans didn't show up for a game that ultimately could have earned the team its first regular season A10 championship and a NCAA berth 2 years earlier.

But isn't it add that our attendance would drop by 1,145 or 20% year over year? The scary thought is could that be a harbinger of things to come?

This team and program has checked off a lot of boxes - with the exception breaking the PC string - but my god, to see Brown attendance as bad as it was last night was demoralizing.

Nobody say that coming.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote:So just for sake of argument say we beat Virginia and entered the AP poll at 25 what is the attendance last night ??

300 is a good guess.

Certainly not 1,145

Read Roady Jay's opinions. He is very close to the program. He knows his stuff. He tells you where the problems are
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

This is just a giant rats nest of excuses, many of which should be absolutely embarrassing to utter. Nobody is talking about not filling the arena for Brown. What it comes down to is we drew 1100 fewer fans year over year. That's terrible. End of story.
rats nest.jpg
rats nest.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:
sf2010 wrote:

Ace, I've probably asked you this before. Have you seen Tyrese Martin play?
Nope. Where he’s from isn’t super close to me. It’s also not a huge basketball area, so he probably made a very good decision to do this year in Virginia.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Lot of griping about attendance for a game against Brown. Maybe the drop is due to a lack of Brown supporters showing up. This game is not a big pull. Never has been. Probably never will be.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

reef wrote:So just for sake of argument say we beat Virginia and entered the AP poll at 25 what is the attendance last night ??

Maybe so. I said there were several reasons. The VA game is just one. Others are that we had a weak opponent, missing EC Matthews, week night, just not enough interest in the program. It's cold. My dog ate my homework...
Who knows how much of an impact each reason has, but in total they do add up.
Were we undefeated and ranked 25th when Brown came in last year? If so, the fact that we aren't ranked may be the reason for the drop off this year.
All speculation...

As a side note...I am a season tix holder and got a call today from someone from the tix office today. I asked about attendance. He was disappointed and said many season ticket holders didn't go last night. I asked how many and if it was in the 100s. He said yes.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Our casual fan base has no idea about games in Brooklyn. They see crap teams on the schedule on a weeknight and opt not to attend. Lots of season tix holders did the same, but at least those seats were paid for. Happens north and west of us for these kinds of games.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'd rather play RIC during the season if attendance is a priority. Less of an RPI hit and the students from RIC show up. Usually a fun game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brown supporters have never shown up at URI for the game in any kind of numbers. Even the games at Brown are more than 50% URI Fans.

The issue with Brown is 20% fewer fans than last year's game following 1st A10 Championship this Century, 1st NCAA Tournament this Century, 1st NCAA Tournament win this Century...................

Should not see a drop of this magnitude

Read Roady Jay issues with this - he gets where the problem likely lies
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Cmon Ramster it's Brown. RPI of 293. We blew them out by nearly 30 points. That's not a game. It's an exhibition.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm sick of reading about this game's attendance. Where is the peecee thread? Bet we have a few fannies in the seat for that one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Our casual fan base has no idea about games in Brooklyn. They see crap teams on the schedule on a weeknight and opt not to attend. Lots of season tix holders did the same, but at least those seats were paid for. Happens north and west of us for these kinds of games.
But not at VCU and Dayton who we are chasing to be among the Elite Teams in the A10

My issue is not with posters on this board who are out of state and stream games, or with season ticket holders, or with Alumni who buy single game tickets or mini-packs.

My issue is with the poor attendance of students and I am not blaming students. Tickets for students should be easy to get, never should have to stand in line at a game hoping to get in....never. In these days of mobile tickets, electronic tickets students can print out in their dorm rooms, tickets on their phones, it should be simple. Marketing, advertising to the students. Give students some of the better seats - not just end zone. In Keaney students had the best seats - right behind the benches of both teams. Putting them in the end zones and in the upper 300 end zones does not exactly make them want to come back and sit there for Brown.

Have things at half court cater to students. Do the kiss cam on the board for students. Get students majoring in Marketing involved in marketing the team. Can be Senior Projects. We want students but we don't market to the students - make them stand in line - "after all I had to stand in line when I was a student". Make it super, super easy for them to get tickets. Give them free popcorn with their ticket. Give T Shirts to the first 500 Students - get them in their seats an hour before the game. Open the gates 1 hour 15 minutes early - not 1 hour early and get students in their seats. Have raffles for Students in their sections - for good prizes.
I'm no marketing wizard, but I just don't see anything different at URI, nothing to entice the students to the games.
Turnover some of the people in charge of attendance promotions - don't keep them in the jobs too long.
Mobile tickets for everyone.
Get rid of the paper.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:Cmon Ramster it's Brown. RPI of 293. We blew them out by nearly 30 points. That's not a game. It's an exhibition.
Same last year too but we had 1,145 more fannies in the seats.

Shake up the promotions/marketing departments - get students to the games.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
theblueram wrote:Cmon Ramster it's Brown. RPI of 293. We blew them out by nearly 30 points. That's not a game. It's an exhibition.

End the family atmosphere and you will have students hanging from the rafters.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We've been talking about putting the students back behind the benches for years. It's a great thought, but it's never going to happen.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well, we could have a bon fire before each game. It might at least get them to the Ryan Center.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:
ramster wrote:

End the family atmosphere and you will have students hanging from the rafters.
YES YES YES

Make it an exciting environment for the STUDENTS. Make them want to come and bring their friends. Make it a social event. There are not near enough students.

We had a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher percentage of Students in the Keaney Gym days. And they were loud, excited and crazy
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

What is likely a factor is that this year the Brown game happened the week of the PC game - if I could go to one game this week which would it be?

Also, we keep talking about the "casual" fan problem. I think we have a "not quite die-hard" fan problem. theb"casual" fan is not coming to brown, like the causal fan is not showing up in 95% of college teams for brown. We need to reach the 1500 fans who should come to games more regularly, but have given up after 17 years of mediocrity. We need to build on the end of last season's success. One NCAA win will not rebuild the brand.

BEAT FREAKING PC!!!!!
0 x