11/24 | Virginia Cavaliers | 7:30PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/24 | Virginia Cavaliers | 7:30PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Roz wrote:I am happy for a split and not two losses which could have easily happened
True but also big that the win came against Seton Hall and not Vanderbilt.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

FT's and rebounding...I think we may complain quite a bit about them this season. The thing about the rebounding is our 2 tallest players are glued to the bench...Cue the "give them time to develop" BS...what was the last 15 months? I understand development, but more than a year and they still are non factors getting walk-on minutes...very frustrating. Preston is a great athlete...not basketball player. Hopefully he is a quick study and develops in time to be a factor before his 2 years are up.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Really surprised by how much of a contributor AB has become...nice job by him and the staff. Last night, Ellis kept saying Berry needed to be more patient. Not sure what he meant exactly by that, but it looked like a lot of times when he got the ball, he chucked it up immediately (and yes, sometimes that's the best play). Any value add to his game if maybe they took a look at the film of what other guys are doing to him...they get the ball and methodically back him down for an easy close range shot. AB certainly has the assets to back people down (in isolation, if they'd do that), doesn't he?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:We would have beaten Vandy if we had lost to SH.....but what happened was better for our resume.....we have a top 50 [maybe even top 25] win with the hope we can get at least another in the next 2 weeks.....

Just really hope we can get Cyril back for PC, as long as he's good enough to play without aggravating his injury....

Charlestown and FGCU will not be easy games either, but should be wins with us at full strength.
We also have a very"good" loss as it was to a top 50 [maybe even top 25] and it was without TWO starters the night after a big win.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The injury thing could only help us if we are really close to an at large bid after the conference tourney.

Would rather not hang our hat on that happening. Injury consideration by the committee does happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

A win or 2 against PC and Alabama would go a LONG way toward not having to worry too much....
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rambone 78 wrote:The injury thing could only help us if we are really close to an at large bid after the conference tourney.

Would rather not hang our hat on that happening. Injury consideration by the committee does happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

A win or 2 against PC and Alabama would go a LONG way toward not having to worry too much....

agree rambone. in order to get the benefit of injury consideration you have to at least beat some good teams. we have one and need at least one more. I said earlier, the timing of the injuries is bad. I would rather have had a healthy team go 3-2 or 4-1 against the heart of the OOC schedule, stumble a few games in a weak conference in January due to injury and then get healthy before march. at least then the committee could say when healthy this team can compete with tourney level competition. if you don't win any of the difficult OOC games then get healthy and roll over a weak conference, what does that mean? it certainly doesn't mean that if you were healthy you would have won the tough OOC games.

the timing of these injuries is awful.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think the size difference was the entire story last night. Agree with Rod and others on that. They backed SR down low every chance they got. Plus VA's style of play wears on their opponents. They made us play D for thirty seconds every time down, and in turn made us work for our shots. I thought we did a great job getting good looks but unfortunately missed a lot of easy ones. Then once we got behind they just wore us down with their size, and style of play.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Gee, nobody was crying last night about needing EC or Langevine.
Look, so many bunnies missed, as well as 50% FT shooting.
Great first half, but a ragged 2nd half.
You can use the "tired legs" excuse, but VA was playing their
second game in two nights, too.
Terrell didn't try to force anything, but made some
gorgeous passes all night.
Garrett was very good on both ends of the floor.
Akele and Preston looked lost.
Dowtin had a mediocre game with three point blank misses.
This was a game where having a guard on a power forward,
killed us. Wilkins had a career game by posting up Robinson
all night.
I think losing Langevine is worse than loosing Matthews,
if only because we're so weak up front.
Virginia and Nevada have killed us on the boards and
with inside offense.
My fear is, once EC comes back, Hurley
goes back to having the offense revolve around him,
at Terrell's expense.
That would be a huge mistake.
I agree 100% Terrell has ice in his veins and we need to run through him. I would like to see a bird-Mchale situation with EC

agree with everything rod except I think the tired legs excuse is legitimate. I didn't see the VA/Vandy game, but judging by the score and the fact it was a blowout from the start, I don't think VA even worked up a sweat to win that game. URI had to leave everything on the floor to beat SH and they did it shorthanded.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Really surprised by how much of a contributor AB has become...nice job by him and the staff. Last night, Ellis kept saying Berry needed to be more patient. Not sure what he meant exactly by that, but it looked like a lot of times when he got the ball, he chucked it up immediately (and yes, sometimes that's the best play). Any value add to his game if maybe they took a look at the film of what other guys are doing to him...they get the ball and methodically back him down for an easy close range shot. AB certainly has the assets to back people down (in isolation, if they'd do that), doesn't he?
I agree with Ellis about being more patient. If Andre gathers himself and uses that big body to create space, I think he'd be more successful, rather than rushing the shot. Obviously if he has an open layup, take it right away before the defense can react, but otherwise, take advantage of that big body. I think Ellis did a nice job, btw. He researched and knew our team well, unlike many others in the past.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:FT's and rebounding...I think we may complain quite a bit about them this season.
I hope not. We basically won the SHU game from the FT line.
The thing about the rebounding is our 2 tallest players are glued to the bench...Cue the "give them time to develop" BS...what was the last 15 months? I understand development, but more than a year and they still are non factors getting walk-on minutes...very frustrating. Preston is a great athlete...not basketball player. Hopefully he is a quick study and develops in time to be a factor before his 2 years are up.
The reason it takes big guys longer to develop is because of scarcity. There are just so many more guards at the high school level that the gap between the elite guards that go to Kentucky and Duke and the ones that play in the A10 is not substantial. That isn't the case with bigs. Generally, the good, ready-to-play bigs are swallowed up by the elite programs and all that's left for A10 type programs are tall projects. That's why Jermaine Harris's signing is such a big deal - it seems like he is the kind of plug-and-play big that is usually beyond our reach.

Have patience with these guys; they still have a lot of career ahead of them. And even if they never fully develop, we had to take the chance on them. They were the best we could get at the time.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with a lot already posted.
A few other things:

1) Very encouraging that we were able to turn them over 11 times, that is a team that routinely turns the ball over in single digits if at all. They will have many games with 3-5 total TOs against ACC level defense, and for us to get 6 steals on them will translate excellently to teams that don't play at the elite level of efficiency that UVA does.

2) For long stretches we were able to get consistently good looks against the best defense we will face all year. Better foul shooting and some missed layups and we should have put up mid to high 60s on them, which is like 80+ against any other defense.

3) Where our lack of depth is killing us is in interior defense...Preston isn't ready, Langevine is hurt, and Berry can't do it alone for long stretches.
This wouldn't be a huge issue for 20 of our 29 opponents, we just happen to be playing 5-6 of those 9 opponents in this opening stretch where Cyril's absence hurts even more.
5 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

This team is fun to watch, need to win 1 of two vs Bama and PC and hold court for most of the regular season. This team will continue to improve as the season progresses.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Dajour Dickens, a 7 foot prospect more highly regarded than Tertsea and Layssard has played 10 whole minutes through 5 games at PC. And they only have 2 other true interior players. And that's at the BE level. It is not uncommon, and actually more the norm, that big men at the A10 level spend a lot of time on the bench their first 1-2 years as they develop. I will trust DH knows who gives us the best chance to win.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And lastly, not for nothing....10ppg and 7 rpg for Andre Berry vs two high level front-lines. I like our chances with a healthy Cyril and EC vs anyone.
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

We should not need Cyril for Brown on Tuesday night. Hopefully he can suit up next Saturday for PC (and the following Tuesday at ranked Alabama). That would have been close to three weeks for him to recover.

EC was expected to miss 4-6 weeks (would mean a return between 12/11-12/25) for his fractured wrist injury at Nevada 11/13. Would expect him back for somewhere between 12/16 Charleston, 12/21 Iona, 12/27 Fl Gulf Coast, and 12/30 George Mason.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote:
RIFan wrote:FT's and rebounding...I think we may complain quite a bit about them this season.
I hope not. We basically won the SHU game from the FT line.
The thing about the rebounding is our 2 tallest players are glued to the bench...Cue the "give them time to develop" BS...what was the last 15 months? I understand development, but more than a year and they still are non factors getting walk-on minutes...very frustrating. Preston is a great athlete...not basketball player. Hopefully he is a quick study and develops in time to be a factor before his 2 years are up.
The reason it takes big guys longer to develop is because of scarcity. There are just so many more guards at the high school level that the gap between the elite guards that go to Kentucky and Duke and the ones that play in the A10 is not substantial. That isn't the case with bigs. Generally, the good, ready-to-play bigs are swallowed up by the elite programs and all that's left for A10 type programs are tall projects. That's why Jermaine Harris's signing is such a big deal - it seems like he is the kind of plug-and-play big that is usually beyond our reach.

Have patience with these guys; they still have a lot of career ahead of them. And even if they never fully develop, we had to take the chance on them. They were the best we could get at the time.
......after my from time to time going off about the inability to get big men players that are more ready off the shelf to get major impact minutes, I do now see the light of what TP points out.....I still think however we can be better this department, somewhere consistently between what we had last year and this year.....just think for moment where we would this year W/O Andre.....Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Virginia is trending to end the regular season with RPI of 8 and Nevada 18.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It was huge to beat Seton Hall and get to play UVa. Even with the 1-1.
Not sure what the RPI difference will be at end of the year if we had lost to SHU and beaten Vandy, but I assume it would be fairly significant.
Top 25 win & Top 10 loss vs Top 25 loss & Top 100 win
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Virginia is trending to end the regular season with RPI of 8 and Nevada 18.
With Seton Hall projected at #34.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Not to make excuses but no UVA starter played more than 26 minutes against Vandy. Stan with 33 minutes, Jeff with 35, JT with 38 and JG with 26 played their hearts out against Seton Hall (especially with our in your face defense). I think it is safe to say that "tired legs" would impact active guard play more than others.
One thing I would have liked to have seen last night was doubling the UVA bigs when they got the ball down low and had serious mismatches especially when Wilkins had the ball guarded by Stan. Too many easy baskets.
One thing I liked was that JT only took a couple of bad shots and did not for really force things when he was heavily guarded and had 6 assists with several nice passes on the pick and roll with Berry.
I think the pick and roll will really work against PC since their 2 centers are really slow and not great defensive players.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hell of a weekend. Pacos kicked my ass.

I think we did exactly what we needed to beating seton Hall. Showed that our guards can play with anyone in the country. Berry showed he is more than capable of handling an elite post player. And most importantly our team showed there’s no quit or “woe is me” feeling in that locker room no matter who is hurt or on the court.

Having watch Virginia play Vandy they weren’t even trying the whole 2nd half.

Tired legs are what fail you at the foul line and on finesse shots.

We won with our free throws on Thursday, that was the more important of the 2 games to win.

For everyone bitching about Preston or Layssard and their early season playing time...remember that Dan’s teams and players develop and get better in February and March.

He doesn’t rush his guys in. Hassan, Jarvis, Stan, Jeff, Langevine...all have been brought in when Dan thought they were ready.

I’ll trust him on those and be thrilled that we’re 3-2 with a top 25 win, and 2 top 30 losses on the road.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Vinstu »

Anyone else agree we gotta get akele off this roster? He came in the second half and blew the game. He does nothing positive, no reason why Preston and even layssard shouldn't be getting the chance at more minutes. Akele never does anything positive and just looks like a deer in headlights.
1 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

Can someone explain why Dan/staff was so adamant on having Stan guard Wilkins? With Cyril out, I feel like this would have been the match-up to see either Tertsea or Layssard get involved. I get that their talent is raw, but why would you have a guy thats 6'4" guard a 6'7" forward? Not to mention, with Stan fouling out we lost an offensive threat. Welcome thoughts on this one as I'm struggling to understand what the staff was thinking with this match-up as Wilkins just abused us.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We discussed on this board at length during pre-season about plusses and minuses of the 4 guard starting line-up.
Pretty much made Isaiah WIlkins get a career high in this, his Senior Year, and made him MVP of the Tournament. He averages only 6.8 ppg but got 19. We could not stop him.
We got outrebounded by a large margin 33-22
Wilkins is too tall, too experienced (being a Senior) and too heavy to be covered by a guard one on one - it showed.

This year I can recall several posters questioning why Berry was even on the team. Now Berry is showing to be a big man that we could ill afford to have out at all, yet he was often questioned about his ability. If anything, Berry is a little heavier than he was last season, so it's not like it's his weight loss that makes such a difference from last year. He showed vs Brown and Dayton last year he had skills, especially his hands and shooting touch.

Based on how Berry was better than most everyone thought, I'd like to see Mike Layssard get more playing time right now. Take the chance, see what he can do. I'm not a fan of the 4 guard line up, even in the A10 conference play. Overall, our guards are not lights out shooters, so go with 3 guards and 2 big men. See now what the big men can do. Even with Langevine back, I think we need Layssard to get a chance to show what he can, or cannot do. Preston and Akele have had the chance to show what they can do, now let's see how Layssard compares to those two guys down low. I get that Tertsea may need more time to develop.

Concerns me how Wilkins was "licking his chops" and how PC and other A10 Teams will be developing their plans to leverage their big men vs URI.

”On the scouting report, I saw they were a little bit smaller than I was,” Wilkins said. ”I just wanted to take full advantage of that.”
The 6-foot-7 senior made 7 of 9 shots in 23 minutes and was named MVP of the tournament. Wilkins came into the game as the Cavaliers’ (6-0) fifth-leading scorer at 6.8 points but surpassed his previous career best of 15 points set February 1 against Virginia Tech.
”He brings so much,” Virginia coach Tony Bennett said. ”His stat line usually doesn’t show it. It showed it today. He’s usually making a huge impact.”
Wilkins impacted things by capitalizing on a mismatch as Rhode Island started four guards – all listed at 6-foot-3 or shorter. Wilkins hit four jumpers, converted a tip-in and a pair of layups.
Wilkins also made 5 of 6 free throws and grabbed six rebounds as Virginia held a 33-22 rebounding margin.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Virginia is trending to end the regular season with RPI of 8 and Nevada 18.
With Seton Hall projected at #34.
Doesn’t include their win vs Vandy. So should be around 27 now. Hopefully they do great rest of year.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I will preface that this is not a complaint or sour grapes post - UVA's basketball game is possibly the most boring basketball I have seen. Takes all the fun out of the game. Clearly it is effective, but man it's like watching paint dry. I don't know how the guy recruits players to the system, "hey come here and you too can milk the shot clock and play the game like it is 1965"

Again, obviously it works so they got that going but o hope they never win a game in the Tourney so that brand of basketball dies out completely. It's like the triple option in football, it only gets you so far.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Gee I just don’t get all the rolling over in this thread....

Make layups and foul shots we win this game going away. Fantastic game plan by staff - high screen and roll was money. With Matthews and Langevine healthy we roll UVA.

Great trip to Brooklyn let’s execute fundamentals a bit better and this team is very capable.

Nice article on D Hurley in new RIMonthly.

Go Rhody!
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Vinstu wrote:Anyone else agree we gotta get akele off this roster? He came in the second half and blew the game. He does nothing positive, no reason why Preston and even layssard shouldn't be getting the chance at more minutes. Akele never does anything positive and just looks like a deer in headlights.
Have said this for the past three years.

He contributes next to nothing when he’s in the game.

Completely lost 95% of the time.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Akele is a perfectly serviceable player in the A10. He doesn't have the elite athleticism or an elite skill needed to be a lot better than that, and so he can be exposed by superior players in our toughest games. And admittedly he hasn't gotten off to a great start this season. But it's a little rough to say he does nothing, and it's completely absurd to suggest that he should be cut in the middle of the year for performance reasons. That's not how college sports works, especially where you have a head coach with character. Not to mention, it's just stupid to suggest that even if cutting players was a thing that Akele would be a candidate for it. There are guys that can't even get on the floor, so obviously he wouldn't be the first in line.
8 x
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Vinstu »

TruePoint wrote:Akele is a perfectly serviceable player in the A10. He doesn't have the elite athleticism or an elite skill needed to be a lot better than that, and so he can be exposed by superior players in our toughest games. And admittedly he hasn't gotten off to a great start this season. But it's a little rough to say he does nothing, and it's completely absurd to suggest that he should be cut in the middle of the year for performance reasons. That's not how college sports works, especially where you have a head coach with character. Not to mention, it's just stupid to suggest that even if cutting players was a thing that Akele would be a candidate for it. There are guys that can't even get on the floor, so obviously he wouldn't be the first in line.
Obviously we wouldn't cut him now. But he shouldn't be getting minutes over preston and layssard. The past three years he hasn't gotten only exposed by elite teams but, the A10 as well. Can anyone think of a time he had a good game? With our program becoming an elite recruiting program. I think it would be smart of dan to explore the idea of having him transfer. It would be mutual.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Akele played well against Seton hall!

People are a little too intense with their condemnation of him.

I for one believe in Akele.

He'll get goin
7 x
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Vinstu »

We've been hearing that for 3 years now. The kid is clueless offensively and defensively. He has trouble with simply recognizing what hand is a players dominant hand defensively.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Agree.
Akele isn't a perfectly serviceable anything.
He's foul prone, useless on the boards, and lost
at both ends of the floor.
How bad is Laysard not to get any time over this guy?
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with those that say the 4 guard lineup will kill us against top 30 teams

I also think that when completely healthy that we can play with anybody in the country
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Cahoots to Berry, it’s amazing what a true Front court player can do in a offense.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The guy had 12/6 in 18 minutes in an important road game against a rival last season. That one game isn’t reason to retire his number, but it’s at least evidence that he is capable in certain situations of contributing. For an eighth or ninth man, that’s fine. Honestly I think it’s a little strange that people are banging on a role player for not being an all-American.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He doesn’t have a role.

In the first game against UNCA, Akele has 5 fouls in 5 minutes.

How bad is Layssard and Preston that they can’t get more minutes than him?

Last night we’re down by 2, Akele comes in, misses two layups, give up an and 1, and boom down by 10 and game over.

Leave him on the bench.
1 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

akele can defend but a bench player with fresh legs missing multiple layups is killer.

Players who went 35/40 hard minutes the night before I get it( tho you all know I believe there is zero excuse ever for blown layups) but coming off the bench getting a soft, clean pass and blowing layup?

Can’t have it at any level....Ball has to go in the bucket!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't mind Akele getting 10 minutes or less per game , anything more than that we are in trouble

He is not comfortable down low missing easy putbacks

His fundamentals are decent they coach him up
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Akele seems to be playing scared, which is never a good thing. I thought he had potential to be a sort of stretch 4, with his length, but it is not working out so far. Too early to give up on him though. Look at Berry.
1 x
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Vinstu »

People are making it sound like last night was the kids first bad game. We've watched this for 2 seasons already. Now it's the third he fouled out against UNC Asheville in limited time. Was atrocious in Brooklyn. Clearly he's gonna be here this season and we might need him to give us a few minutes. But What's going to happen when we bring in 2-3 forwards next year who all are better than him?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Vinstu wrote:People are making it sound like last night was the kids first bad game. We've watched this for 2 seasons already. Now it's the third he fouled out against UNC Asheville in limited time. Was atrocious in Brooklyn. Clearly he's gonna be here this season and we might need him to give us a few minutes. But What's going to happen when we bring in 2-3 forwards next year who all are better than him?
No. Pushing a guy out before his senior year is not right. Sit one to play one for a guy who has been a solid representative of your program? If he’s found a home in Kingston, you let him ride it out. They already have one spot still open for next season, maybe more depending on how personnel shakes out. Akele was 7th and 8th in minutes in Brooklyn with 2 starters out (which would push him to 9th or 10th in the rotation). His play has been disappointing thus far this season, but being so casual about “getting him off the roster” as a junior is not how I’d want my program run.
7 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

He has shown he can knock down shots, but his role is different this year and he is clearly still adjusting. Also He had some good finishes in the lane against seton hall. It’s not all terrible.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:He doesn’t have a role.

Last night we’re down by 2, Akele comes in, misses two layups, give up an and 1, and boom down by 10 and game over.

Leave him on the bench.
This is the point. Akele has had plenty of opportunity. He has had some descent games but far more disappointing games. Point is Layssard and/or Tertsea receive little or no chance. Layssard has shown some good potential in very limited minutes this year - did not see him much at all last year in very, very few minutes. With Akele not playing to expectations and Preston clearly not where we need him yet why not give Layssard an opportunity?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote:
Vinstu wrote:People are making it sound like last night was the kids first bad game. We've watched this for 2 seasons already. Now it's the third he fouled out against UNC Asheville in limited time. Was atrocious in Brooklyn. Clearly he's gonna be here this season and we might need him to give us a few minutes. But What's going to happen when we bring in 2-3 forwards next year who all are better than him?
No. Pushing a guy out before his senior year is not right. Sit one to play one for a guy who has been a solid representative of your program? If he’s found a home in Kingston, you let him ride it out. They already have one spot still open for next season, maybe more depending on how personnel shakes out. Akele was 7th and 8th in minutes in Brooklyn with 2 starters out (which would push him to 9th or 10th in the rotation). His play has been disappointing thus far this season, but being so casual about “getting him off the roster” as a junior is not how I’d want my program run.
Fact, not opinion
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What happens? You tell him the truth and let him decide from there. You don't push him out and you don't blow rainbows for him
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:He doesn’t have a role.

Leave him on the bench.
This is the point. Akele has had plenty of opportunity. He has had some descent games but far more disappointing games. Point is Layssard and/or Tertsea receive little or no chance. Layssard has shown some good potential in very limited minutes this year - did not see him much at all last year in very, very few minutes. With Akele not playing to expectations and Preston clearly not where we need him yet why not give Layssard an opportunity?
This view seems to overly emphasize both Akele’s bad game against Virginia and Layssard’s play against Holy Cross and UNC-Asheville scrubs. Everything I hear has Layssard getting majorly out-muscled and out-played in practice. If anyone’s seen or heard otherwise, I’d love to hear it, as I’d feel much better about his future play. I don’t think it’s as simple as saying trust the coaches, they know the players best, because coaches can have blind spots (still think they beat Valpo last year if Robinson had gotten more minutes), but I don’t think you can completely discount what a coaching staff sees in their guys, either.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

When we are at full strength Akele is the 9th or 10th man so he won't be playing more than 10!minutes a game which I am ok with

Laysard it's clear DH doesn't trust him so he is clearly out of the rotation
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't see either of the Mikes playing much this season unless Dan is forced to...and next season they won't play either unless there is huge improvement.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Players earn playing time in practice. We don't see what goes on in practice. It could be that the Mikes are making mistakes in their assignments on the defensive end. That's just a guess. If a player is not "getting it" in practice, he won't play in games until he does.
0 x