Lack of marketing (lazy old regime wasting DH's time?)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Lack of marketing (lazy old regime wasting DH's time?)

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Lost study time? Lol.
My point is I could have waited 2 hours, be towards the end of the line and then NOT gotten in. There is a risk in waiting in the line. If the student tickets were by lottery as many schools do, then there is not the potential wasted time in line only to be turned away. If I have an exam or paper due then I might chose to not risk the line wait.
The technology exists and the process exists to avoid the wasted time in line.

If not for lost studying time, then sub lost drinking time, or lost time at the fitness center, or lost anything time, but not much worse feeling than standing in line in the cold only to get turned away. Increases the likelihood that those turned away will not return anytime soon.
Ramster, I think you're around my age. Tell me if I remember this correctly. When I was in school (74-78), student tickets were given out the mornings of games, very early if I do remember correctly. If you wanted to go to a game badly, you'd go stand in line then. But at least you knew you had a ticket way before the game started. In 4 years, I never missed a game. Am I right or did I dream this?
I think you are right. Of course that was for the much smaller Keaney. But I think you are right and so You knew well ahead of time if you were in or out. There has to be a better system than what we have for students - and I know of schools that do the lottery. Do t even need to leave your dorm room. Hats why I’d like Roady Jay to explore this with Marketing - maybe should be ticket sales but you don’t want to piss off or turn off the students who don’t show up very well as it is. How do we build more student interest and increase student attendance? My guess is Marketing is more concerned with revenue tickets, but people in the stands draws people in the stands in future games.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Had an envelope in the mail today, vouchers for a gift they're giving out at the Brown game. One for each season ticket.
Any word on what this gift was. I have 2 vouchers but will have to redeem them at a future game. ( couldn’t make it to the brown game )
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodyram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Had an envelope in the mail today, vouchers for a gift they're giving out at the Brown game. One for each season ticket.
Any word on what this gift was. I have 2 vouchers but will have to redeem them at a future game. ( couldn’t make it to the brown game )
They gave away A10 replica trophies. No idea if they’ll have them again..would assume not.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Replica A10 trophy. It's nice. If you were given a voucher you will be able to redeem it at a future game
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
I think this is a very healthy discussion, but it seems none of us know how much money is spent on marketing and how it is spent. Until I know that I really don't know if it's being done properly. I agree we should be going after the fan who likes both teams and alums who don't go to games. But I don't know if that's happening or not.
Matt Moeller, Associate AD Marketing, has agreed to speak with me next week and I will let everyone know what I learn.
Great Roady Jay,

Just for the heck of it, please ask him from a marketing perspective what he and others in the Marketing Department think of the giant “Welcome to Friartown” wall at TF Green.
Also what new efforts might we expect down the line
I know other schools do a lottery selection process for student tickets. Started with football whereby students would camp out overnight for tickets in hard to obtain schools. At some schools there was concern for student safety - and parental concerns. I think of this when I see giant lines of students waiting in the cold at URI. Just let them know in advance that they are getting in or not getting in. Hate to see students wait for hours only to get turned away. Lost study time, get a bad taste for the basketball team. What can URI do to improve this for heavily attended games. I also know that if you won or got selected for a lottery ticket but DID NOT show for the game then that went against you for future lottery selection odds.

Thanks,
Look forward to hearing about your meeting
and RoadyJay,

please ask what URI Marketing is attributing the 20.3% reduction in attendance versus last year for the Brown game and what their plans might be to remedy this.
Only 4,485 for tonight compared to 5,630 last year is hard to believe.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I went to the game tonight and I love watching the Rams play no matter who’s the opponent, but that game wasn’t even close to being competitive.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:please ask what URI Marketing is attributing the 20.3% reduction in attendance versus last year for the Brown game and what their plans might be to remedy this.
Only 4,485 for tonight compared to 5,630 last year is hard to believe.
I hate to lend credence to this theory, but last year URI was #21 in the polls when we played Brown.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How was the student attendance?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Mediocre.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......what I don’t get is the people, “fans”, donors, etc leave their purchased going empty, get those into someone’s hands.....no?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

section(105) wrote:......what I don’t get is the people, “fans”, donors, etc leave their purchased going empty, get those into someone’s hands.....no?
Agreed. I work with a season ticket holder who always offers his tickets to me and a few others when he knows he can't go. Yesterday he offered out his 4 tickets, but none of us could go. I hope someone used them.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote:
section(105) wrote:......what I don’t get is the people, “fans”, donors, etc leave their purchased going empty, get those into someone’s hands.....no?
Agreed. I work with a season ticket holder who always offers his tickets to me and a few others when he knows he can't go. Yesterday he offered out his 4 tickets, but none of us could go. I hope someone used them.
.....not to go on and one here, but I suppose those folks feel they” gave at the office” and that the season ticket revenue is enough to support the program, having the seat filled secondary.....in my case I make sure someone uses them......point of interest, of last years total season ticket holders approximately 33 had perfect attendance, and the recognition gift was legit painted basketball with A-10 champs etc on it.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

I couldn’t give my 2 tix for last night away for free.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Replica A10 trophy. It's nice. If you were given a voucher you will be able to redeem it at a future game
Sounds cool. In the letter that came with the vouchers it listed a couple specific games other than the Brown game to pick up the gift. It also said they would not do redemptions at the PC game.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I'll say this, if I had been able to grab my colleague's tickets, I would have taken my brother, nephew, and another person, who all went and bought tickets. So me taking my colleague's tickets would have been a wash. That said, that's probably rare and I'd rather see more butts in the seats.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t buy season tickets for exactly this reason. I know I can’t go to basically any weeknight game because I live out of market, so I buy the mini plan package plus individual tickets to just about any other weekend game (to triage my guilt, I donate the difference in cost between season tickets and mini plan when I make my order). The sales people, who are doing the right thing, tell me to just buy the season ticket package and give away the games I can’t get to, but I KNOW that I won’t be able to get someone to every game and I don’t want to be responsible for empty seats. I hold out hope that the URI can sell the seats.

I’ve also said for a long time that they should dock season ticket holders whose seats aren’t used enough. If your tickets aren’t used for 80% if games, say, they should debit your priority points and get your seats away from the floor (and out of camera range). People do think of buying season tickets as their “donation” and then don’t show up to games like last night. It’s not right.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
.....not to go on and one here, but I suppose those folks feel they” gave at the office” and that the season ticket revenue is enough to support the program, having the seat filled secondary.....in my case I make sure someone uses them......point of interest, of last years total season ticket holders approximately 33 had perfect attendance, and the recognition gift was legit painted basketball with A-10 champs etc on it.....
Just 33? (I got one)
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully the marketing people are discussing the poor attendance of last night's game as much as we are.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Just 33? (I got one)
......yep, believe so (+-) at the season ticket holder pre season event at the RC, they posted the names on the big board and read their names....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

steviep123 wrote:
Not always easy to find someone to take them.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Hopefully the marketing people are discussing the poor attendance of last night's game as much as we are.
I think a better comparison would be the Holy Cross game two years ago, which was also the same week as the PC home game. I don't what the attendance for that was.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Hopefully the marketing people are discussing the poor attendance of last night's game as much as we are.
I think a better comparison would be the Holy Cross game two years ago, which was also the same week as the PC home game. I don't what the attendance for that was.

http://68.71.212.186/mens-college-baske ... =400825762
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Attendance for that Holy Cross game 2 years ago was 3442.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

4485 doesn't look as bad then.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
So the home PC game DEPRESSES turnout of the previous home game? That's crazy.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
Why do you think that's a better comparison then the Brown game last year?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: I think a better comparison would be the Holy Cross game two years ago, which was also the same week as the PC home game. I don't what the attendance for that was.
I don't think it is that hard to believe that some fans may not be able to go to two games in one week. In my house, I could ask my wife about going to two games in a week, but I would be smart to wear a helmet while doing so.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Why do you think that's a better comparison then the Brown game last year?
A certain level of fan is not going to go to two games in a week. I know quite a few people who have tickets to the PC game but did not go last night. Last year's Brown game "competed" against the Cinn game at Mohegan Sun. Some fans probably picked the Brown game instead of driving to Conn.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:
I don't think it is that hard to believe that some fans may not be able to go to two games in one week. In my house, I could ask my wife about going to two games in a week, but I would be smart to wear a helmet while doing so.
That will change. After 25-30 years of marriage, she'll do anything to get you out of the house. Lol.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
Just 33? (I got one)
......yep, believe so (+-) at the season ticket holder pre season event at the RC, they posted the names on the big board and read their names....
What??!! They did? W'd have stayed longer if we knew that was going to happen.... :lol:
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......the ball gift was picked up a day or so later......but the recognition of those happened that nite......unless I was dreaming it.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:......the ball gift was picked up a day or so later......but the recognition of those happened that nite......unless I was dreaming it.....
That is correct.

They actually announced perfect attendance for the Women's Team and for the Men's Team that night. They had the names on the big screen for all to see.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Just 33? (I got one)

Was there a list released? I am pretty sure I was perfect and didn't receive anything.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

........my wife, whom is actual the “owner of the tickets”, got a phone call saying she had perfect attendance......she just brings me along for eye candy I guess......and sometimes two games per week!!
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just think marketing can make it a little better but we will never average over 6k for a season
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

They also recognized my high school classmate, Steve Lysik....he had perfect attendance last year and died this past off-season.....it was nice of them to make that announcement as his family came to the event....I will miss Steve.....may he rest in peace...
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:........my wife, whom is actual the “owner of the tickets”, got a phone call saying she had perfect attendance......she just brings me along for eye candy I guess......and sometimes two games per week!!
Good for her and you.
And you say you would actually go to both the Brown Game AND the PC game in the same week!! :D :D
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:They also recognized my high school classmate, Steve Lysik....he had perfect attendance last year and died this past off-season.....it was nice of them to make that announcement as his family came to the event....I will miss Steve.....may he rest in peace...
I'm sorry for your loss.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote:I just think marketing can make it a little better but we will never average over 6k for a season
.......sad to think that, but probably true regarding the average of 6k......but if we become the Zags of the east, then.......?.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe just maybe it is possible but it will take work and maybe 2 or 3 years down the road
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Someone mentioned the students waiting in line and not getting tickets. I thought the approach for the PC seems to be a good one.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How many students are in the Ruckus?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote:........my wife, whom is actual the “owner of the tickets”, got a phone call saying she had perfect attendance......she just brings me along for eye candy I guess......and sometimes two games per week!!
She sounds like a keeper! You should marry that woman!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Any word or pictures of the student turn out this morning for there tickets?
Bring the noise!!!
1 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Rhody Guy wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
Just 33? (I got one)

Was there a list released? I am pretty sure I was perfect and didn't receive anything.
I was definitely on the board for perfect attendance and didn't receive anything. The way I understood it, the 2 or so folks who had perfect attendance for the womens games received a ball.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

On Monday a giant billboard should go up in Providence with the headline

Changing of the Guard
Pic of Dan, EC and Jared
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote:On Monday a giant billboard should go up in Providence with the headline

Changing of the Guard
Pic of Dan, EC and Jared
.......with Fatts holding up the billboard......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jus saw this add, what a great idea.
Attachments
DDA93A9E-85DE-4CBD-B328-295C95DC87AC.png
1 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......feed ‘em......yesterday I saw wrap 1/2 sandwiches given out at student entrance......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:.......feed ‘em......yesterday I saw wrap 1/2 sandwiches given out at student entrance......
Yep, first 300, I believe.
0 x