Langevine out today and questionable vs Seton Hall

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URI_05
ARD

Langevine out today and questionable vs Seton Hall

Unread post by URI_05 »

0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Langevine out today and questionable vs Seton Hall

Unread post by UCH21377 »

That's not good. Maybe we'll finally see what Layssard and/or Tertsea can do.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ugh
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

We will get eaten up inside by Seton Hall. Brooklyn is looking like it may possibly be a winless trip. Would think best chance at a win would be to meet Vanderbilt and have everyone contribute big.

Really need to get by Holy Cross today and try to survive the injuries.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wow.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Another body blow.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is just awful news
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Thank god we went as far as we did last year. Makes these disappointing setbacks a little easier to take.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Fcuk
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Does anybody know exactly what happened to Langevine ?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Said it's his groin did it happen v Nevada or practice???
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Thanks
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

It's not like Langevine has made much of an impact this year. I love his potential but hes played two bad games so far.

Preston and Berry looked good in the first half... Let's pull out the victory in the second half against a good Holy Cross team and see what we can do against Seton Hall. I'm sure it will take a lot to have Cyril miss that game. Resting him today gives him a much better shot at playing...

We still have a loaded back court and if they get hot anything can happen in New York. We will not go winless.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think in retrospect it was very smart to hold Cyril out even if he could play. Very much expect him to play Thursday.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:I think in retrospect it was very smart to hold Cyril out even if he could play. Very much expect him to play Thursday.
Dan just said he's "questionable at best" to play this week. He stressed the "at best" part.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't believe coaches, especially when having or not having the player could make a significant impact on the other team's gameplan. One hundred percent my non-fact-based opinion. But I think Cyril plays. If he can walk, he'll be out there.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I think in retrospect it was very smart to hold Cyril out even if he could play. Very much expect him to play Thursday.
Dan just said he's "questionable at best" to play this week. He stressed the "at best" part.

He also said int he post game review that he will undergo testing today or tomorrow. I would think the extent of his injury will then dictate his return. We may have to sacrifice the Brooklyn games so that he fully heals and returns in two weeks for the Providence game. Would think he would not be absolutely necessary for Brown.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reef wrote:Said it's his groin did it happen v Nevada or practice???
Sidelined: Cyril Langevine missed the game with a groin injury and coach Dan Hurley said he's "questionable, at best" for next week's NIT Season Tipoff games. Langevine apparently has a high threshold for pain - he sprained both ankles in the NCAA Tournament game against Oregon last year and kept playing - and Hurley said he did not disclose the fact that he was banged up against Nevada.

http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 54ac4.html
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I propose giving Tertsea a lot of time chasing Delgado around and using his five fouls rather than one of our more polished big kids.....then use some of Layssard's quota also....

Don't start them.....but let Cyril (if he plays)...Berry....Preston....Akele....get one foul in the first half if they are guarding him.....then bring in the two Mikes.....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If you're going to chase and foul, would probably want to do so in a way that makes it so the guy doesn't score...
I just don't think Tertsea (too tentative...impacts his movement/speed) or Berry (no speed) could impede Delgado enough to make that worthwhile.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ramulous wrote:I propose giving Tertsea a lot of time chasing Delgado around and using his five fouls rather than one of our more polished big kids.....then use some of Layssard's quota also....

Don't start them.....but let Cyril (if he plays)...Berry....Preston....Akele....get one foul in the first half if they are guarding him.....then bring in the two Mikes.....

This
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Honestly its not going to matter who starts or plays, Delgado is a beast and is going to get his double double with ease and our front court will be in foul trouble all day. Whether or not we can win this game will likely come down to stopping the rest of the team.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: Sidelined: Cyril Langevine missed the game with a groin injury and coach Dan Hurley said he's "questionable, at best" for next week's NIT Season Tipoff games. Langevine apparently has a high threshold for pain - he sprained both ankles in the NCAA Tournament game against Oregon last year and kept playing - and Hurley said he did not disclose the fact that he was banged up against Nevada.

http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 54ac4.html
He might be tough but he also seems injury prone. He was questionable for Buffalo exhibition, sat out Harvard scrimmage, was hurt in Nevada game, missed Holy Cross game and will probably miss two games this week. I am guessing this is the type of injury that could linger all year long.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Looks like our boys are gonna need some soul searching in that Brooklyn locker room.
0 x
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

adam914 wrote:Honestly its not going to matter who starts or plays, Delgado is a beast and is going to get his double double with ease and our front court will be in foul trouble all day. Whether or not we can win this game will likely come down to stopping the rest of the team.
Exactly, i think this comes down to containing Carrington and Rodriguez and hopefully they both or at least one has a bad shooting night, and collectively our guards out play their guards.

We need Terrell at 20+ pts and JG, Stan to 12-15 apiece

Delgado will get his no matter what, but if we can play solid d on the others we could have a decent shot and hang around
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

let's hope cyril somehow can make this game

huge resume game.. absolutely huge.

let's go.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Delgado is gonna get his regardless. Better served scheming to shut everyone else down. He wont win the game on his own
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

A number of years ago dh lead his team into Mohegan and lead for 38 of the 40 minutes before losing against seton hall. The team could not have played harder. When the game ended, I watched as dan was the only person left on the floor. He was crushed. I’m not at all convinced that we will in Thursday but I would kill to be a fly on the wall in the locker room before the game. Go rhody!
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Delgado is gonna get his regardless. Better served scheming to shut everyone else down. He wont win the game on his own
That's what Al Skinner was good at. Making sure anyone else didn't beat you. The opponent's star would get his, but no one else.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Delgado is gonna get his regardless. Better served scheming to shut everyone else down. He wont win the game on his own
That's what Al Skinner was good at. Making sure anyone else didn't beat you. The opponent's star would get his, but no one else.
and Red Auerbach
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

We really need to watch out for their 6-11 freshman SANDRO MAMUKELASHVILI kid can really play, very skilled.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Joe95 wrote:We really need to watch out for their 6-11 freshman SANDRO MAMUKELASHVILI kid can really play, very skilled.
Do you think his coach calls him "'Dro"?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Joe95 wrote:We really need to watch out for their 6-11 freshman SANDRO MAMUKELASHVILI kid can really play, very skilled.

Joe,
We recruited him too. There is a write up on him in Recruiting section
He played for Monteverde and he played against Fatts when Imhotep broke Monteverde's 55 game winning streak on their home court last year. Fatts was MVP of that Tournament at Monteverde

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6637
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Did anyone see Tertsea grab a board when the scrubbinis came in at the end ??
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Delgado is a 50% free throw shooter. What about using Laysard early and play a little Hack a Shaq?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

KevanBoyles wrote:Delgado is a 50% free throw shooter. What about using Laysard early and play a little Hack a Shaq?
...... don’t we already foul enough.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH seems very reluctant to play anybody that is not in his rotation so I would guess no minutes for Mikey Lasayard
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

reef wrote:DH seems very reluctant to play anybody that is not in his rotation so I would guess no minutes for Mikey Lasayard
I keep noticing this as well, he keeps going the guys he already trust as opposed to providing others opportunities and a chance to gain that trust. The two frontcourt lineup worked effectively in the first half in limited time and he almost went completely away from it after that. Against Seton Hall, I don't see the four guard and Berry lineup working. They are going to expose us going to the rim.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Same goes with Preston you can tell that DH totally doesn't really trust him yet
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote:Same goes with Preston you can tell that DH totally doesn't really trust him yet
I agree that he doesn’t trust Preston. If that continues thru the year does that mean it was a recruiting mistake? It is his Jr year.
0 x
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

Rhody83 wrote:
reef wrote:Same goes with Preston you can tell that DH totally doesn't really trust him yet
I agree that he doesn’t trust Preston. If that continues thru the year does that mean it was a recruiting mistake? It is his Jr year.

Recruiting mistake? The kid has played two games at a MUCH higher level of basketball than he has ever played at before. Give him time to adjust. He has huge upside for a two year player for us.
6 x
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

Rhody83 wrote:

Recruiting mistake? The kid has played three games at a MUCH higher level of basketball than he has ever played at before. Give him time to adjust. He has huge upside for a two year player for us.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We're back to not being able to rebound. Need this team to gut out this week.

This is the most winnable holiday tournament we have been in for the DH tenure. Wish we were full strength.

Also wish we could rebound the ball.

With the injuries. These are the games I wish we had Thompson. Hes just so physical. Never gets caught standing around watching a play.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I don't know how you can watch Ryan Preston play and not see his potential. He leads the team in rebounding while only playing 8 minutes a game! Preston was a recruiting steal.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I really hope Preston does get some more minutes this week, just for his rebounding alone.

I feel like if he's in there for 20 mins he's gonna grab 8-10 boards
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

We have to shoot lights out from the field and from the line. We also need to get to the line. Limit turnovers and even then I'm not sure if we can win.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Even with Langevine, URI will be an underdog. It might actually be better to have him sit out and get healthy. URI will have the NCAA consideration fact that they played the game without two starters. Play him (and possibly slow his return to good health) and lose - you gain nothing. Must approach this single game with what is best for the long term goal.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That’s a big roll of the dice, assuming a team like athode Island gets benefit of the two starters out consideration from the Committee.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

If he can go - even if 80% - you have to start him and see how he does -- too big of an opportunity here to not be aggressive in our approach..

Seton hall could be a game you see on the screen as a quality win come March

Not to mention the possibility of a Virginia matchup

So, if it was up to me - if start him and see what he can give you and take it from there

Opportunities like this cannot be squandered

GO RHODY
0 x