The EC Wristwatch - Bad Timing

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: The EC Wristwatch - Bad Timing

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Bottom line we have a problem with fouling.
Hope Angel Delgado can't shoot free throws.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Seton Hall on tv now.....

Yikes
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think they might start Garrett and move Dowtin over. That way Fatts replaces Garrett and they arn't on the floor together as much. Fatts will get more minutes. And SR will be scoring (hopefully) off the bench.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Seton Hall on tv now.....

Yikes
They looked great but Indiana St also killed Indiana this season... We will be their toughest test so far
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Lets keep this thread to updates on EC.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I have been adjusting to the new level set, but I think I’m alive. This isn’t as bad as 2 years ago and we get EC back for conference play in a down conference year.

To be honest though, I think we’ll be ok. We are so deep at guard, and through the first 80 minutes Jarvis and Stan have been our best guards - they weren’t starters.

Plus Fatts looks like the real deal In flashes, and I’m excited to see more of him on the floor. Kids not afraid of the spotlight, and he’s got confidence out the ass - no matter if a shot goes down or not. He’ll go right back at it. That’s a skill freshman who make impacts have.

This team under Dan always seem like they need some kind of adversity to pull them together and fight for something. I’m thinking this did that.

We have a week and a half of practice to work out how things look without EC, plus a game before Seton Hall.

We also don’t have a clear number one for a defense to key on, we’re more balanced.

I like the chances of EC coming back to a 2 or 3 loss team.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Found video of it:

Someone else posted this video (maybe a different angle - can't remember) in response to Rothstein's tweet saying it was clean. There is no version in which that is clean.

Edit: It was the same Twitter account that I had responded to and the same video. The Twitter responded he was being sarcastic when he said, "Looked like a clean play to me." (He did have the eye-roll emoticon next to it. I need to brush up on that).
Those of us of a certain age would pay money to hear Johnny Most call that play (provided he was our announcer, of course).
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Saw interviews of Dan on the local news last night. He seems to be projecting a more upbeat tenor than with EC's injury two years ago. Said that the situation with present team is different than then.

Reports from the local tv news stations

WPRI
“Business as Usual” for URI despite missing E.C. Matthews
http://wpri.com/2017/11/15/business-as- ... -matthews/

Rhody Moves On Without E.C. Matthews
http://www.abc6.com/story/36854378/rhod ... c-matthews
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:Saw interviews of Dan on the local news last night. He seems to be projecting a more upbeat tenor than with EC's injury two years ago. Said that the situation with present team is different than then.

Reports from the local tv news stations
Yeah, I really think this is a different team and a different situation. I said as much earlier in this thread and nobody seemed to agree with me:
TruePoint wrote:I feel like this situation is much different than the one a couple years back. I think the team is older and more talented, and they know EC will be back for the most important part of the year. I expect Dan and the entire team to handle this better. The Celts lost their prized free agent minutes into the season and haven't used that as an excuse. URI shouldn't either.
I really don't want to hear too much woe is us stuff from our fans. Teams sustain injuries in sports. This team is still talented enough to win games, and we will have the player back for the most important parts of the season.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Found video of it:

Someone else posted this video (maybe a different angle - can't remember) in response to Rothstein's tweet saying it was clean. There is no version in which that is clean.

Edit: It was the same Twitter account that I had responded to and the same video. The Twitter responded he was being sarcastic when he said, "Looked like a clean play to me." (He did have the eye-roll emoticon next to it. I need to brush up on that).
Those of us of a certain age would pay money to hear Johnny Most call that play (provided he was our announcer, of course).
or the audio from Tommy's epic rant from the 'hard foul!?!' game when Pierce got his teeth knocked out on a no call...
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The EC Wristwatch

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Tough news.
As BAR said, we have depth at guard and Terrell
does well when EC is out
I hope Dan doesn't do his hang-dog act, like he
did a couple of years ago.
As the leader, his attitude effects the players.
Belichick and Brad Stevens don't mourn their lost
players, they just go to Plan B, and win.
This doesn't change my outlook that much. Might even make the team better in conference play. Feel bad that he will have missed his last two home games vs. PC. Sure he wants to get them once before leaving.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

One of the worst parts is EC is probably going to miss out on playing PC again :/
I really wanted to see him stick it to them this year.

Now it's even though. They don't have Holt we don't have Matthews.

Time for Jared Terrell to be the star. Sophomore Jarvis is back. They've been through a similar storm.
We just have to get into a rhythm on offense, we were just a mess against Nevada.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You can't make this stuff up. We lose a game, lose a good player and look who shows up...classic.
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Feel bad for EC missing the PC game hopefully we have enough to pull out that win
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And, FWIW, I’m still not over this injury. Worst possible timing (SHU, 2nd NIT game, PC, Alabama).
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We will see just how much we miss him starting tomorrow night
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

ace wrote:

And, FWIW, I’m still not over this injury. Worst possible timing (SHU, 2nd NIT game, PC, Alabama).
I hear that.... I wonder if there is any chance he could be ready against Providence.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Doubt it too soon
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hasn't this been the case right along though? Four weeks after Nevada is 12/11, our first game from 12/11 is the 12/16 College of Charleston game.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Right. The 4-6 week estimate puts in anywhere from mid-December to late December. PC is Dec. 2nd.
0 x