Rhody and A10 in the Top 25 Polls: 2017-18

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Rhody and A10 in the Top 25 Polls: 2017-18

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote:Did any voters leave us outside Top 25 ???
Where Lil Kevie have us ??
Kmac had us at 18. Interesting that some voters ranked us HIGHER this week than last.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhody74 wrote:
Kmac had us at 18. Interesting that some voters ranked us HIGHER this week than last.

Assuming this is true, and I have no reason to doubt 74, I'm getting thirsty TP! :lol: :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Will gladly buy a beer if it gets me KMac not trying to burn us.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't see this week's individual ballots yet. If someone else does please post link.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody74 wrote:
Could be the effect of the nationally televised game - seeing how close it was, that Bonnies are a legit club no matter how bad the rest of the A10 is - and it took that environment to get the bonnies to eek out a win in the last minute.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

This doesn't have this weeks ballots yet.

I'm pretty sure those of you who have mentioned KMac's ranking of 18 are looking at last week.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Correct. Data lot loaded yet, even on AP site:
https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll-v ... n-mcnamara
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Oops sorry about that
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Very happy with the #18 ranking. Good to see Virginia holding onto #1 and Nevada jumping to #20 as well
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Kmac had URI at 19 and the Bonnies at 25.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jesse Newell had us out again ???
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s cool that the URI page at the poll tracker website links to our humble forum.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote:Jesse Newell had us out again ???
He has 5 " EXTREME PICKS", 6 if you count the fact he doesn't even have number 18 URI on his top 25.

Idjit.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

KMac keeps his string alive of voting for URI lower than where they end up. Although, he did show some love for the Bonnies.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

IMO KMac had pretty solid rankings
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That isn't really the point, though. The point is whether his rankings indicate that he has a bias against URI. Just because you hide your bias within the margin of error doesn't mean it isn't there. It makes it less obvious, but it doesn't change the fact that KMac has been consistently behind the curve when it comes to ranking URI.

It would be fair to point out that this does not actually matter that much, and I would agree. The only reason why it is even remotely relevant to me is because of the context in which the vote was cast, where historically he and his employer have not offered the same kind of deference and support to URI as they have to the other college basketball program that they cover. So when KMac is consistently and unfailingly lower on URI than the average American college basketball writer, I'm more likely to notice.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jesse Newell is an absolute joke . Does he even watch college hoops ??
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote:Jesse Newell is an absolute joke . Does he even watch college hoops ??
He and Li'l Kevie watch together.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
reef wrote:Jesse Newell is an absolute joke . Does he even watch college hoops ??
He and Li'l Kevie watch together.
Pictured here:

9 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is that Lil Kevie on left ???
0 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

I browse several boards for southern New England basketball. This board is by far the least petty of all. Don't see threads started about UConn and their pathetic belief Hurley will come running to them without a second thought. Nobody more arrogant then the Boneyarders. Don't see threads focused on PC. You'll find posts focused on URI on their principle board.

But where ProJo is concerned, just way too much paranoia, IMHO. The fact that KMac put Boneventure in his top 25 shows respect for Rhody. If they beat us, they were good enough to be ranked as far as KMac was concerned. And really, what the hell is the difference between 19 and 18?? I think some folks here look for conspiracy where there is none.

Yes, ProJo has focused on PC over the years. The reasons are many, and the reasons were justified. People lined up on the Ct. border to welcome them home when NIT championships actually meant something. They've been to the Final Four twice. They showcased home grown talent, like Ernie D, Marvin Barnes, Stacom, Hassett. They helped put RI on the college basketball map back in the day.

Just go on a run in the NCAA. I mean a real run. Deep. I mean really deep. You'll see more stories in the ProJo then you'll know what to do with, including all over the front page. Go deep and Rhody will make banner headlines in the Providence Journal. If you want to see them on our bandwagon like never before in their existance, just do it.
6 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Paleoguy wrote:I browse several boards for southern New England basketball. This board is by far the least petty of all. Don't see threads started about UConn and their pathetic belief Hurley will come running to them without a second thought. Nobody more arrogant then the Boneyarders. Don't see threads focused on PC. You'll find posts focused on URI on their principle board.

But where ProJo is concerned, just way too much paranoia, IMHO. The fact that KMac put Boneventure in his top 25 shows respect for Rhody. If they beat us, they were good enough to be ranked as far as KMac was concerned. And really, what the hell is the difference between 19 and 18?? I think some folks here look for conspiracy where there is none.

Yes, ProJo has focused on PC over the years. The reasons are many, and the reasons were justified. People lined up on the Ct. border to welcome them home when NIT championships actually meant something. They've been to the Final Four twice. They showcased home grown talent, like Ernie D, Marvin Barnes, Stacom, Hassett. They helped put RI on the college basketball map back in the day.

Just go on a run in the NCAA. I mean a real run. Deep. I mean really deep. You'll see more stories in the ProJo then you'll know what to do with, including all over the front page. Go deep and Rhody will make banner headlines in the Providence Journal. If you want to see them on our bandwagon like never before in their existance, just do it.
Excellent post. I agree for the most part. However, before PC became popular in the 50s/60s, URI did it in the 30s and 40s under Frank Keaney. His Rhody teams had fans filling trains to NYC and had folks lining up to greet them at the Kingston train station. While they never won the NIT (which some could argue was the better tournament to be invited to back then), they made the then 8 team tournament several times in the 30s and 40s, with their best finish in 1946. For those that don't know the history, Ernie Calvalry hit the "shot heard round the world" - a 63 footer in the NIT quarterfinals to send the game into overtime, which the Rams would ultimately win. Calvalry's shot was named one of the best moments in MSG history. They later lost to Kentucky by one point in the championship. Keaney is well known as the inventor of the fast break and his teams were averaging in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and even 80s, while others were averaging in the low teens. They were known as the "point a minute Rams" and later "two points a minute Rams." His teams put URI (then RI State) in the national spot light, and he did it with many local students.

I'm not taking away what PC did in the 50s and 60s or their final fours in 73 or 87. They certainly did win more, but they won and got into the spotlight in the TV era, when families started to have TVs in their living room. You do have to wonder what would be different if URI's time in the national spotlight came 15-20 years later.
Last edited by steviep123 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Kevin Stacom was from New York.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

As I’ve said before on the forums, ProJo coverage of the 88 team was top notch. This was on the heels of a final 4 run by their home town team.

Of course it was truly a great story which helped I guess.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

He bases his picks on Pomeroy and Sagarin. Looks like if you are not top 25 in either of those you are not making it on his ballot.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

This may be off the rails, but has anyone heard the radio advertisement for the P-Bruins? At the end of the blurb there is a "Let's go Friars" chant. Maybe it's my 72 year old hearing, (or paranoia), but can anyone confirm this?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RAM67 wrote:This may be off the rails, but has anyone heard the radio advertisement for the P-Bruins? At the end of the blurb there is a "Let's go Friars" chant. Maybe it's my 72 year old hearing, (or paranoia), but can anyone confirm this?
Maybe it's their way of thanking Pee-C for stampeding the city into improving the Dunkin' Dump.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I think you're correct , Red.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
RAM67 wrote:This may be off the rails, but has anyone heard the radio advertisement for the P-Bruins? At the end of the blurb there is a "Let's go Friars" chant. Maybe it's my 72 year old hearing, (or paranoia), but can anyone confirm this?
Maybe it's their way of thanking Pee-C for stampeding the city into improving the Dunkin' Dump.
not just the city, the entire state had to pay for that glorified paint job they called a renovation.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So will we hold our 18 ranking ?? Will we pass anybody ?? Will anybody pass us ??
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

should move up to 17

Teams in front of us that lost:
#6 Texas Tech twice (doubt they fall behind us)
#12 Auburn (not sure if they will fall behind us either)
#16 Clemson (we should pass them)

and currently Arizona is tied with Oregon (I believe we would pass them if they lose)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Ducks beat Zona. Looks like we'll be back to 16. :) *maybe* 15 if Cinci loses to Tulsa tomorrow
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ean-miller

I just think it's "interesting" that, in the above Arizona game write-up, teammate refers to Ayton as a high character guy, handling it like a professional...
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Professionals DO get paid you know....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Will be interesting to see if voters hold any of this against Arizona in their polls to.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote:Will be interesting to see if voters hold any of this against Arizona in their polls to.
Here’s what I don’t get re: Ayton.

How is there enough evidence there to take Miller off the sidelines mid season but Ayton is still eligible?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:
adam914 wrote:Will be interesting to see if voters hold any of this against Arizona in their polls to.

How is there enough evidence there to take Miller off the sidelines mid season but Ayton is still eligible?
Right, thats part of this whole thing I dont understand either. I guess just because the direct evidence is against Miller? Maybe I haven't read up enough on it all, but I also don't know where the money is going. Is it just the school/coach/booster (or whoever associated with the program) paying money to an agent to steer a kid somewhere or is the kid or his family actually getting that money?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Right, thats part of this whole thing I dont understand either. I guess just because the direct evidence is against Miller? Maybe I haven't read up enough on it all, but I also don't know where the money is going. Is it just the school/coach/booster (or whoever associated with the program) paying money to an agent to steer a kid somewhere or is the kid or his family actually getting that money?
It has been reported that they have Miller recorded on a call with Dawkins saying that Dawkins should talk to Miller about the money.
There is no evidence that any money passed hands and that Ayton received any money or that he/his family even asked for money.
Ayton has been interviewed by the FBI something like 6 times and he is still clear.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody83 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

It has been reported that they have Miller recorded on a call with Dawkins saying that Dawkins should talk to Miller about the money.
There is no evidence that any money passed hands and that Ayton received any money or that he/his family even asked for money.
Ayton has been interviewed by the FBI something like 6 times and he is still clear.
Yeah, that was my understanding as well. That Miller had offered the $100k on a wiretap, which if you're a coach, is pretty much a fireable offense whether the kid takes it or not. However, I don't think the FBI / other investigators has any proof that $100k ended up with Ayton, or with someone connected to him.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like the Auyton camp is vehemently denying that they took any money ???
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Seth Davis has us 14
4 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I love Seth Davis’ Twitter responses to people criticizing his picks.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:

Great point
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If the player didn't take any money, there is no wrongdoing. A coach offering One Hundred Thousand Dollars to a recruit is a fireable offense.
4 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

twisted3829 wrote:Seth Davis has us 14
He had us at #16 last week after we lost to St. Bonaventure, and at #14 two weeks ago. So we got those two spots back on his ballot. I think we'll move up one spot in the AP Top 25.

But it seems that this team's got bigger dreams than where they are right now, and lots more baaketball games to play to make their dreams a reality for all of us.

Go Rhody!
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Ayton's response was quite the thing to watch! He blew the doors off in the first half against Oregon.

Was so late I didn't see any of the rest, but then Arizona lost! With him absolutely dominating.

I also think it is interesting that Trier is out with another steroids thing. What is going on out there!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

full expect to be back at 16 this week
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rothstein has us at 14:

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/fanrag ... 6-edition/:

14. Rhode Island

The Skinny: Dan Hurley has made the Rams the flagship program in the Atlantic 10.

Dayton and VCU won't like to hear that. But if Dayton and VCU return to that status with URI joining them for a nice 3 headed monster for years to come, that will allow the A10 to continue to be at least a 3-4 bid conference each year.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Yeah I think 16 as well. Maybe 15 if enough writers saw the second half friday.
1 x