Rhody and A10 in the Top 25 Polls: 2017-18

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhody and A10 in the Top 25 Polls: 2017-18

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:
How many times do you have win streaks that wrap around from one season to the next in college hoops? Pretty uncommon in this era - maybe three teams a year? I forget how many odd little tournaments there are now.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Significant to be in Gary Parrish’s daily top 25 and 1. He is very serious about the ranking process and is very well respected for his knowledge of CBB happenings nationally.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I agree with ATP. If you listen to his podcast with Matt Norlander, he is very surgical about his rankings even when Matt puts his feet to the fire about it. Good listen if you want to keep up with the national CBB scene.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Win by Creighton over seton hall hurt our chances of breaking the top 25.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:The Win by Creighton over seton hall hurt our chances of breaking the top 25.
I don't think that will make or break it - a lot of losses already this week from 15 down.
16 - Arizona St - lost at Stanford; at Cal on Saturday
17 - Auburn - lost at Alabama; home Georgia on Saturday
18 - Kentucky - lost at South Carolina; vs Florida on Saturday
19 - Seton Hall - lost at Creighton; vs Xavier on Saturday
20 - Clemson - lost at UNC; home Notre Dame on Saturday
21 - Tennessee - lost at Missouri; at South Carolina on Saturday
22 - Ohio St - won at Northwestern; at Minnesota on Saturday
23 - Michigan - win vs Maryland; loss at Nebraska; home Rutgers on Sunday
24 - TCU - win vs. Iowa St; at Kansas St. on Saturday
25 - Miami - loss vs Duke; at NC St on Sunday
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess it depends on the voters and how much the penalize these teams for losing on the road, in many cases Q1/Top 50 road games... If you look even at last week, Clemson lost at KenPom #67 and won at home to KenPom #30 and fell from 19 to 20. I'll be interesting to see how it shakes out if all of these teams win their remaining games this week.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:The Win by Creighton over seton hall hurt our chances of breaking the top 25.
I don't think that will make or break it - a lot of losses already this week from 15 down.
16 - Arizona St - lost at Stanford; at Cal on Saturday
17 - Auburn - lost at Alabama; home Georgia on Saturday
18 - Kentucky - lost at South Carolina; vs Florida on Saturday
19 - Seton Hall - lost at Creighton; vs Xavier on Saturday
20 - Clemson - lost at UNC; home Notre Dame on Saturday
21 - Tennessee - lost at Missouri; at South Carolina on Saturday
22 - Ohio St - won at Northwestern; at Minnesota on Saturday
23 - Michigan - win vs Maryland; loss at Nebraska; home Rutgers on Sunday
24 - TCU - win vs. Iowa St; at Kansas St. on Saturday
25 - Miami - loss vs Duke; at NC St on Sunday
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess it depends on the voters and how much the penalize these teams for losing on the road, in many cases Q1/Top 50 road games... If you look even at last week, Clemson lost at KenPom #67 and won at home to KenPom #30 and fell from 19 to 20. I'll be interesting to see how it shakes out if all of these teams win their remaining games this week.
Also I think PC will prob beat Creighton at home, especially with that big guy that got hurt
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Noting Arizona State’s drop off in conference play...I hope Dan balances both the ability to recruit talent, versus how hard it is to win at that level in conference.

If he wants to win in March and go the “Gonzaga of the east” route - URI is set up to run the A10 for the duration of Dan’s tenure.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote:Noting Arizona State’s drop off in conference play...I hope Dan balances both the ability to recruit talent, versus how hard it is to win at that level in conference.

If he wants to win in March and go the “Gonzaga of the east” route - URI is set up to run the A10 for the duration of Dan’s tenure.

may be getting a little ahead of ourselves here and I don't want to get off track. rhody has a great class coming in next year, but we are losing a ton. given the very strong OOC next year and a very young team (Akele and Preston will be your only seniors) and an assumed improvement by other A10 teams, I think next year could be a difficult one.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Noting Arizona State’s drop off in conference play...I hope Dan balances both the ability to recruit talent, versus how hard it is to win at that level in conference.

may be getting a little ahead of ourselves here and I don't want to get off track. rhody has a great class coming in next year, but we are losing a ton. given the very strong OOC next year and a very young team (Akele and Preston will be your only seniors) and an assumed improvement by other A10 teams, I think next year could be a difficult one.
dont forget about Thompson. worst case scenario he fills the hard nosed leader role like TJ and Stan have
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

dont forget about Thompson. worst case scenario he fills the hard nosed leader role like TJ and Stan have
was assuming Thompson would be red shirted this year so he comes back next year with 2 years eligibility.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyRam86 wrote:

This is most certainly the wrong place to start this discussion, so I apologize for starting it haha. ATP or TP please find the proper thread to continue this discussion so that it doesn't bog down this one. Sorry and thanks!

Yes we are certainly losing a ton but I think we are keeping the most important thing that any good team has: leadership and skill at the point.

Every team that we've seen in the A10 who is struggling this year because they are young/rebuilding, is most critically young/rebuilding at the PG spot. It's the QB of your basketball team. If you have a good one who can make smart decisions, control the ball, and set up people - that is all more important than guys who can score in an iso situation.

Sure great teams have an EC Matthews/Jared Terrell type that can score at will, but good teams will always have a chance if they have a capable player handling the point.

Jeff Dowtin is a SOPHOMORE. He's already started more NCAA games at the point guard spot than anyone in this program since Tyson Wheeler. He will actually have started more NCAA (and A10 tournament) games at point guard than anyone else in the entire CONFERENCE next year. The importance of that cannot be overstated.

We will be raw as hell, more than likely starting at least one freshman if not two. If we are starting two (my money is on Tate and Harris by conference play), they will be more set up for success just by having a steady hand at the point.

I know people like to mock Dan recruiting point guards like crazy, but there's a method to the madness. If you always have an experienced PG playing, you will always be competitive. If you get to a point where you have 2 such PG's (like what we have this year), you are down right dangerous.

We will most certainly not be this years team for sure, but I don't think it's crazy to think the floor for next years team is the NIT either.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Note the past 5 weeks. Each Poll has shown steady growth,
That is because we won 8 straight games.
We beat UMASS this week and hopefully Dayton tomorrow
We are 27th now
Beat Dayton tomorrow and Monday we will be ranked

9FF7C729-A13E-47B3-B118-D34E73237A83.png
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

23 michigan lost
24 tcu just lost
25 miami lost

not only should we be ranked we should be ranked ahead of seton hall im thinking 23 come monday
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

KMar970 wrote:23 michigan lost
24 tcu just lost
25 miami lost

not only should we be ranked we should be ranked ahead of seton hall im thinking 23 come monday

St. Mary's big win at Gonzaga could jump us. Questionable as to whether or not we pass Seton Hall. If we do, that should get us to 23. If not, 24 for sure.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

SHU lost today so probably not a concern. the only argument to keep URI out right now would be they play in the A10
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
24 tcu just lost
25 miami lost

St. Mary's big win at Gonzaga could jump us. Questionable as to whether or not we pass Seton Hall. If we do, that should get us to 23. If not, 24 for sure.
forgot about that maybe marys 23 rhody 24 hall 25
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

KMar970 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
24 tcu just lost
25 miami lost

forgot about that maybe marys 23 rhody 24 hall 25
Also Creighton lost at PC, and Notre Dame lost at Clemson. Not bad losses, but those are teams we're battling with for rankings. At the very best, those two teams just hold steady, while we likely rise.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Nevada is right on the cusp of being ranked too. Don't hate that. Of all the teams we played this year I think only Virginia was more impressive to me. Hall just doesn't bring it every night.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If we get ranked and beat Fordham on wednesday, the roof is coming down next saturday!!!!!
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seems pretty simple to me, even without taking anything else into account, Seton Hall out and us in. End of story.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

i think we could have beaten Alabama if we had EC. We are 10-1 with him.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

we can play anyone and hang
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we will be 21 or 22 come Monday
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Nevada with a nice win vs Boise tonight. They could sneak in too.
0 x
GO RAMS
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

St Mary, Nevada, uri trying to bust in... uk, Michigan, TCU, season hall drop out contenders. A team like WSU going to pick up some low votes even if it doesn’t fall all the way out. Monday noon should be interesting to see!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Miami and Tennessee also lost this week. I think URI Nevada and St Mary's all get in
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote:I think we will be 21 or 22 come Monday
That would be both awesome and a major miracle. URI would have to close a gap of 237 points to get to #22 (319 points to get to #21). Only a gap of 104 to get in at #25 which is where I think they belong.

I bet that d-bag KMac votes for PC after beating Xavier, Butler, and Creighton (all at home, Kevin...all at HOME) before he votes for URI.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyKyle wrote:
That would be both awesome and a major miracle. URI would have to close a gap of 237 points to get to #22 (319 points to get to #21). Only a gap of 104 to get in at #25 which is where I think they belong.

I bet that d-bag KMac votes for PC after beating Xavier, Butler, and Creighton (all at home, Kevin...all at HOME) before he votes for URI.
Of course he will. Good dog, Li'l Kevie!
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

RhodyKyle wrote:

I think he'll vote us in this week. I enjoy following the polls and trying to figure them out. Back in 2015-16, when PC spent time in the top 25, KMac consistently voted them lower then many other writers.
1 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

The local writers/voters see the flaws, unlike those who don't see the team regularly. There are many teams that are not on our schedule who we might not match up well with.
....I'm happy that we are getting plenty of votes, and were 27th in both polls last week.....that's ok for now. It's the end of March that I hope we are a top 10 team.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
RhodyKyle wrote:

Once again, I really don't get the conspiracy theory here.

KMac certainly wasn't alone in his no-vote for URI, as 2/3 of the writers in the field passed on us as well. While flawed in some areas, his logic isn't that far off. The A10 is a dumpster fire this year. Ranked behind the Mountain West AND Missouri Valley (without Wichita State) conferences. It has a lower OOC winning % than the Mid-American and WCC.

Top 25 rankings are the most "what have you done for me lately" poll in all of sports. Our "big" win was 2 months ago. PC moved the needle a bit but until recently they were barely tracking to be a top 75 team.

The teams we have beaten since then have lacked both the "name" and ranking to inspire a big movement in pollsters minds, regardless of how we've looked.

We all know where my allegiance lies, but College of Charleston, Iona, FGCU, George Mason, La Salle, GW, St Louis, St Bonaventure, and UMass are not "commodities" that excite a national voter. @ Dayton is the first "name recognizable" team we've played during this win streak. That win coupled with the 10 in a row, is what will now put us in the rankings.

Though the OOC was put together masterfully and we did what we needed to do - the RPI reflected from that only helps us on selection sunday. Top 25 rankings are not a compilation of computer metrics. It's an eye test. Sorry but regardless of being a voter or not - NO ONE has the time to watch the games of 30+ teams in a week. No one's full time job is "top 25 voter," that responsibility is in addition to their day job.

Not for nothing but throughout the win-streak URI has had 2 games worth watching if you're a national coverage person - and those were up against prime top 25 matchups.

Just like in another year where we would all sit here and bitch if a WCC or MVC team were ranked ahead of us because they didn't "pay their dues" as it were, we're in that same spot.

The vitriol and victimhood people spit out on this board is some wild shit.

For all the complaining about needing a new coach within the last 10 months, to the "need for this team to lose to wake them up" in the midst of a conference season where they've ONLY LOST A SINGLE HALF OF BASKETBALL - I never see any of that crap thrown on paper at the Projo.

For all the ballwashing people give the national media - I'm yet to see a postgame locker room quote written by one of them. Really yet to see anything substantial outside of 1 sentence tweets that say we're good. Koch and the local guys are the only ones in the locker room getting quotes. Rag on the projo all you want but that's where 80% of all the info that gets out to the "national guys" comes from.

For the conspiracy theory people who throw out things like "when voters see local reporters not voting for local teams they won't vote for them either" while out of the other side of their mouth "VOTERS DONT DO ANY RESEARCH ON ANYTHING THEY JUST LOOK AT SCOREBOARDS..." how does that make any sense?

So the same lazy national reporters who won't look into details of all the teams in the ranking conversation, are pouring over research to go and look up who a local reporter is to a certain school, and see how they voted? How is that a logical connection?

Stop playing the victim. Stop looking for things to be offended by. Recognize how good we are that this is the shit you need to complain about.

For the first time in 2 decades every. single. complaint. about this program is about external factors and things away from the court. CELEBRATE THAT.

You all have got to live completely miserable existences to find the negative in a season full of positives such as this.

That's totally your right to do so, but god damnit keep it off the board. No one wants to be a fan of a team kicking ass all over the place and then come read some shit about why we can't celebrate it as much as we want to because of something as mundane as this.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
RhodyKyle wrote:

KMac certainly wasn't alone in his no-vote for URI, as 2/3 of the writers in the field passed on us as well. While flawed in some areas, his logic isn't that far off. The A10 is a dumpster fire this year. Ranked behind the Mountain West AND Missouri Valley (without Wichita State) conferences. It has a lower OOC winning % than the Mid-American and WCC.

Top 25 rankings are the most "what have you done for me lately" poll in all of sports. Our "big" win was 2 months ago. PC moved the needle a bit but until recently they were barely tracking to be a top 75 team.

The teams we have beaten since then have lacked both the "name" and ranking to inspire a big movement in pollsters minds, regardless of how we've looked.

We all know where my allegiance lies, but College of Charleston, Iona, FGCU, George Mason, La Salle, GW, St Louis, St Bonaventure, and UMass are not "commodities" that excite a national voter. @ Dayton is the first "name recognizable" team we've played during this win streak. That win coupled with the 10 in a row, is what will now put us in the rankings.

Though the OOC was put together masterfully and we did what we needed to do - the RPI reflected from that only helps us on selection sunday. Top 25 rankings are not a compilation of computer metrics. It's an eye test. Sorry but regardless of being a voter or not - NO ONE has the time to watch the games of 30+ teams in a week. No one's full time job is "top 25 voter," that responsibility is in addition to their day job.

Not for nothing but throughout the win-streak URI has had 2 games worth watching if you're a national coverage person - and those were up against prime top 25 matchups.

Just like in another year where we would all sit here and bitch if a WCC or MVC team were ranked ahead of us because they didn't "pay their dues" as it were, we're in that same spot.

For all the complaining about needing a new coach within the last 10 months, to the "need for this team to lose to wake them up" in the midst of a conference season where they've ONLY LOST A SINGLE HALF OF BASKETBALL - I never see any of that crap thrown on paper at the Projo.

For all the ballwashing people give the national media - I'm yet to see a postgame locker room quote written by one of them. Really yet to see anything substantial outside of 1 sentence tweets that say we're good. Koch and the local guys are the only ones in the locker room getting quotes. Rag on the projo all you want but that's where 80% of all the info that gets out to the "national guys" comes from.

For the conspiracy theory people who throw out things like "when voters see local reporters not voting for local teams they won't vote for them either" while out of the other side of their mouth "VOTERS DONT DO ANY RESEARCH ON ANYTHING THEY JUST LOOK AT SCOREBOARDS..." how does that make any sense?

So the same lazy national reporters who won't look into details of all the teams in the ranking conversation, are pouring over research to go and look up who a local reporter is to a certain school, and see how they voted? How is that a logical connection?

Stop playing the victim. Stop looking for things to be offended by. Recognize how good we are that this is the shit you need to complain about.

For the first time in 2 decades every. single. complaint. about this program is about external factors and things away from the court. CELEBRATE THAT.

You all have got to live completely miserable existences to find the negative in a season full of positives such as this.

That's totally your right to do so, but god damnit keep it off the board. No one wants to be a fan of a team kicking ass all over the place and then come read some shit about why we can't celebrate it as much as we want to because of something as mundane as this.
Dude, you need to seriously settle down. It was a throw away comment. We were literally in agreement earlier about how being ranked would be nice but the team has loftier goals and that those goals are based on RPI and KenPom/Sagarin rankings.

Getting that worked up is terrible for your heart. For your sake, try and let more just roll off your shoulder.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

Dude, you need to seriously settle down. It was a throw away comment. We were literally in agreement earlier about how being ranked would be nice but the team has loftier goals and that those goals are based on RPI and KenPom/Sagarin rankings.

Getting that worked up is terrible for your heart. For your sake, try and let more just roll off your shoulder.
I think we're still in agreement on all of that. My rant wasn't directed at your comment but more Red's comment that always seems to start off the trail of victimhood and little brother syndrome.

You have no idea who I am if you think settling down is even close to in my repertoire.

We're 2 hours to kick off.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote:
RhodyKyle wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

I think we're still in agreement on all of that. My rant wasn't directed at your comment but more Red's comment that always seems to start off the trail of victimhood and little brother syndrome.

You have no idea who I am if you think settling down is even close to in my repertoire.

We're 2 hours to kick off.
It's ok. Brady had a hand transplant yesterday. All set to go.
1 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

In terms of Rhody, the A-10, and the Top-25:

Atlantic 10 Standings as of 21-Jan-2018
TEAM            CONF    OVERALL   RPI     BPI    KenPom    
Rhode Island    7-0      15-3      11      29        30
Davidson        5-1      10-7     132      47        60
Duquesne        5-2      14-6     211     159       175       
VCU             4-3      12-8     134     113       136
Saint Joseph's  4-3	  9-9     182     141       138
Richmond        4-3       6-13    211     206       200
Saint Louis     3-4      10-10    173     157       147
Massachusetts   3-4      10-10    159     170       186
Dayton          3-4       9-10     86     153       141
George Mason    3-4       9-11    189     238       241
St Bonaventure  2-4      12-6      45      62        70  
Geo Washington  2-5       9-11    192     223       218
La Salle        2-5       8-12    156     136       159
Fordham         1-6       6-13    271     262       287

Expected end-of-regular-season RPI rank from http://www.rpiforecast.com as of 21-Jan-2018
14.4	Rhode Island
 50.3	St. Bonaventure
 82.5	Davidson
112.2	Dayton
128.6	VCU
150.6	Saint Joseph's
178.1	Saint Louis
181.9	La Salle
201.1	Massachusetts
201.6	Richmond
201.7	George Washington
213.1	Duquesne
224.6	George Mason
280.6	Fordham
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

3 teams with RPI lower than 100.....yuck
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Record books won’t note the fact the rest of the A10 sucks.

Back to back champs. Keep the throtttle down. Almost there.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Very yuck. St joe, Lasalle, Dayton and VCU in particular all performed below expectation. For context the year EC got hurt, and we struggled mightily at times and we were super young I believe our KenPom was still in the 80s. Nobody did us any favors this year.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Its seems from the week's results that if URI makes the Top 25, then Nevada should make it also. Will both get in???
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Seth Davis just submitted his vote...Nevada at 22, Rhody at 23.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
RhodyKyle wrote:

I disagree with you about the weakness of the A10 and the Dayton win being what gets us into the Top 25 and the 10 straight wins.

5 Weeks ago we were ranked 45th. With each win we have steadily improved to where last week we were ranked 27th. Moved from 45th to 27th over the last 5 weeks. You make it sound like we have played all weak opponents, teams we were favored to beat, so the 10 game winning streak has not moved the needle. Simply not true.
Daytons RPI is 112. What really moved our rankings the most was the victory over St Bonaventure, now at 50 rpi. Iona and College of Charleston have better RPIs than Dayton does.

As for the comment about "need for this team to lose to wake them up" this was from one poster - ONLY ONE - you make it sound like the entire KB Board is saying that. And to put it into perspective, the poster meant that losing a game could actually maybe help the team in the long run. That poster was not and is not stupid. That poster meant well with the comment. I did not care for the thought and would never want URI to lose but I can understand the poster's logic
Last season, URI lost to Valparaiso, Houston and PC and the majority of the KB Board melted down, then URI lost to Dayton, LaSalle and Fordham and many, many KB Posters were ready to run Hurley out of town, kind of like a lynch-mob mentality. I often wondered if those losses helped Dan Hurley and the team circle the wagons and get a "it's us against the world" mentality where the losses really helped in the long run and enabled the win streak, the A10 Tournament performance and the NCAA performance. So I can see the logic of maybe losing a game could help a team in the long run. Again, not that I would want this or root for a loss but I can see the posters logic.

Winning moves the RPI up even if you defeat teams with not so good RPIs. You can see that over the 5 week period. Now wins over UMASS and Dayton will continue to move URI up from the current 27th rank probably to 20, 21 or 22.
12-16 College of Charleston (108.0)
12-21 Iona (82.3)
12-27 Florida Gulf Coast (149.7)
12-30 George Mason (224.6)
1-3 La Salle (181.9)
1-6 George Washington (201.7)
1-9 Saint Louis (178.1)
1-13 St. Bonaventure (50.3)
1-17 Massachusetts (201.1)
1-20 Dayton (112.2)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Statistically speaking:

I think there is the belief by some that because URI will be favored in all of their remaining games that they should win all of their remaining games.
Looking at the Percent Probability for the last 11 games we have:

78.6 average for the 11 remaining games
This means that URI, by law of averages, should lose at least 2 of their 11 remaining games, even though URI will be favored in all 11 Games

This is what makes the current 10 game winning streak so amazing. Even though we were favored in the last 10 games, the probability of winning each game was not close to 100%. Law of averages says we probably should have gone 8-2 in our last 10 games.

The 11 remaining games:
1-24 Fordham (280.6) A10 A 0-0 92% 15.7
1-27 Duquesne (213.1) A10 H 0-0 93% 16.8
1-30 Massachusetts (201.1) A10 A 0-0 82% 10.2
2-2 VCU (128.6) A10 A 0-0 67% 4.9
2-9 Davidson (82.5) A10 H 0-0 75% 7.7
2-13 Richmond (201.6) A10 H 0-0 94% 17.0
2-16 St. Bonaventure (50.3) A10 A 0-0 54% 1.1
2-20 La Salle (181.9) A10 A 0-0 76% 7.9
2-23 Dayton (112.2) A10 H 0-0 86% 12.0
2-27 Saint Joseph's (150.6) A10 H 0-0 87% 12.4
3-2 Davidson (82.5) A10 A 0-0 55% 1.3
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Lil Kevie votes us in this week as will most voters
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:Statistically speaking:

I think there is the belief by some that because URI will be favored in all of their remaining games that they should win all of their remaining games.
Looking at the Percent Probability for the last 11 games we have:

78.6 average for the 11 remaining games
This means that URI, by law of averages, should lose at least 2 of their 11 remaining games, even though URI will be favored in all 11 Games

This is what makes the current 10 game winning streak so amazing. Even though we were favored in the last 10 games, the probability of winning each game was not close to 100%. Law of averages says we probably should have gone 8-2 in our last 10 games.

The 11 remaining games:
1-24 Fordham (280.6) A10 A 0-0 92% 15.7
1-27 Duquesne (213.1) A10 H 0-0 93% 16.8
1-30 Massachusetts (201.1) A10 A 0-0 82% 10.2
2-2 VCU (128.6) A10 A 0-0 67% 4.9
2-9 Davidson (82.5) A10 H 0-0 75% 7.7
2-13 Richmond (201.6) A10 H 0-0 94% 17.0
2-16 St. Bonaventure (50.3) A10 A 0-0 54% 1.1
2-20 La Salle (181.9) A10 A 0-0 76% 7.9
2-23 Dayton (112.2) A10 H 0-0 86% 12.0
2-27 Saint Joseph's (150.6) A10 H 0-0 87% 12.4
3-2 Davidson (82.5) A10 A 0-0 55% 1.3
Even at KenPom he has them at 16-2 with only a 6.8% chance of running the table. It is incredibly hard to win out in conference play. Even Gonzaga laid an egg last year against BYU.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Nice blurb about Dan in today's NY Post by Zach Braziller. He calls our team "tenacious, deep and soaring" and then says we should be ranked if pollsters were paying attention. Also says Dan will be a popular guy this offseason. Nothing we don't know.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

We at least have a 23 from Seth. Hopefully KMac will add us finally.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rothstein has us at 20.
Davis at 23.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

19 Top 25 losses last week makes this week extremely hard to predict ...
In the known votes (Rothstein and Davis), URI only picks up 3 points, as Rothstein ranked them 22 last week and Davis had them 24.
If I had to guess how it looks this week ...
1. Villanova
2. Virginia
3. Purdue
4. Duke
5. Michigan St.
6. Kansas
7. West Virginia
8. Xavier
9. Cincinnati
10. Arizona
11. North Carolina
12. Oklahoma
13. Gonzaga
14. Auburn
15. Clemson
16. Wichita St.
17. Texas Tech
18. Ohio St.
19. Arizona St
20. Seton Hall
21. Tennessee
22. Michigan
23. Miami (FL)
24. Kentucky
25. St. Mary's
-----------------------
26. URI
27. TCU
28. Nevada
29. Creighton
30. Florida

St. Mary's started the week 20 points behind URI, but to go on the road and beat a Top 15 team, a team ranked Top 10 in KenPom, I'm thinking that might take URI's spot. A second spot could shake free with Miami, but their home loss was to Duke (whose a Top 5) team and they went on the road and got a solid road win, I figured that might be enough to keep them in (and even move up a little due to Kentucky's losses).
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x