Big News Forthcoming??? (Spoiler: It's the West Virgina Game @ Mohegan Sun)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: Big News Forthcoming???

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:* The three officials from the Buffalo game will never do another URI game.
* Hurley will invite all URI fans over for Thanksgiving dinner.
* All future PC-URI games will be played at the Ryan Center.
Also:
*Have arranged a 2 for 1 with Duke coming here twice
*Upgraded brew selection at the Pub
*All snow canceled for this winter

Other than that...I can't really say much more at this time....
Free limo service for all KB members
And, the name of the board will be changed to "The I Know Something You Don't Know Board"
2 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:When Thompson redshirts does that free up a scholarship for this year? I could see a transfer coming in like KI did and being eligible next year. Maybe a big name recruit from one of the schools under investigation.
If he winds up redshirting, that will not open up a scholarship. Redshirt players still count towards the scholarship limit. Also, to echo what others have said, Birdman does have a track record of being correct on Rhody-related news - so his limited social media audience is not a reason to doubt him when he says something about URI.
Must have some incredible insight to have a good track record saying..."news coming...can't say what or when!"
Pretty impressive!
He should probably get a little more credit than that. As I said, he has a track record of being correct on Rhody news, such as:

-Placed Ryan Preston on campus prior to his commitment
-Had the URI-Nevada & URI-FGCU matchup ahead of the announcement
-Had the Europe trip was being cancelled before announcement

So yeah, be snarky about that if you want, but he hasn't been wrong in his reporting yet.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on guys spill the beans
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So, regardless of what happens next, does it get credit for being "right again" ...even though no substance at all?

Can't think of any reason to say..."Guess what, I have a secret, and I'm not telling"...unless it needs an ego-stroke. just sayin'...
If there's a legit reason to say that, that ISN'T for that reason, then I stand corrected.

Edit: Saying, "you're not going to believe what I'm not going to tell you", is not "reporting"....
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will make a guess it is not schedule related
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:So, regardless of what happens next, does it get credit for being "right again" ...even though no substance at all?

Can't think of any reason to say..."Guess what, I have a secret, and I'm not telling"...unless it needs an ego-stroke. just sayin'...
If there's a legit reason to say that, that ISN'T for that reason, then I stand corrected.

Edit: Saying, "you're not going to believe what I'm not going to tell you", is not "reporting"....
I guess ultimately it depends on what (if anything) is ultimately announced - he could always expand on the initial tweets at a later time adding more substance, which he may not be able to do at this time depending on what the news is. For example, if it has to with a negotiation of some sort (scheduling, contract, facility project - this is all pure speculation on my part), leaking details too soon could derail negotiations or hurt his ability to get URI-related information early in the future.

I understand what you're saying and you could very well be right, but all I'm saying is that we shouldn't necessarily dismiss out of hand because he does have a track record of reporting URI-related news early.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:So, regardless of what happens next, does it get credit for being "right again" ...even though no substance at all?

I guess ultimately it depends on what (if anything) is ultimately announced - he could always expand on the initial tweets at a later time adding more substance, which he may not be able to do at this time depending on what the news is. For example, if it has to with a negotiation of some sort (scheduling, contract, facility project - this is all pure speculation on my part), leaking details too soon could derail negotiations or hurt his ability to get URI-related information early in the future.

I understand what you're saying and you could very well be right, but all I'm saying is that we shouldn't necessarily dismiss out of hand because he does have a track record of reporting URI-related news early.
And, apparently, a significant ego to match? Unless it is just so excited that it couldn't help patting itself on the back publicly...not sure what purpose this served. Although, I am finding this thread quite amusing...which is good, because I do have a little extra time on my hands today.
Plus....exactly "what" is it that we would be dismissing? :lol: :lol:
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Mr. Kettle! Please meet Mr. Black!

Bird‏
@TheBirdmanJrJr

We all want J Harris. Claiming he's coming here from someone who "knows him" serves no one except for the person looking for attention.
6:12 PM - 16 Sep 2017
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It is still UNBELIEVABLE that Harris committed here.

Talk about loyal fan behavior being rewarded. HOLY SHIT I always think we can win games on our schedule but I have so much less faith in our ability to just grab 4star front court players out of the DMV that play like savages.

What the hell is going on.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well.....since "Bird" didn't say it was so...it couldn't be construed as "so" at the time, since...only a "person looking for attention" would claim to know to know something like that....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Reminds me of the Orange Moron, who
teases people to, "wait and see", or "you'll find out later".
Trying to build up suspense for no reason, other than,
"Look at me! I know something that you don't! NYA! NYA!"
Trying to act like life is a reality show, and everyone
is part of the audience is kinda strange.
5 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I kind of get the logic of the complaint here, but at the end of the day this kind of low-stakes gossip is a big part of what makes following college sports fun. If you don't find it fun, just ignore it, I guess. But I don't want to discourage people with access to good information from sharing here just because they can't always tell the entirety of what they know all at once.

I think the difference between Bird and other similar "insiders" and the President is that Bird actually knows some things. (That is a sentence I could never have imagined writing.)
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

After reading this thread it is my expectation that there is probably no way the "big news" will be as big as we all expect it to be. I hope I am very wrong.
It would help if we at least have a reliable date of the announcement.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^^ Um, yeah, no can do...that would be one less thing that "someone else knows, but you don't" :lol: :lol:

And, I'm not complaining, I'm just having some fun with "guy who says he has news that he can't share, but who also says that people who say they know something are looking for attention."
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's odd, I don't remember people going in on Neil like this when he talked about the schedule...
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

People want information and then get mad about a fan getting excited about some inside news that has. I say let Bird be bird and keep the info coming, whatever he can share. All press and buzz and good press and buzz for this program!
3 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

+1
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:People want information and then get mad about a fan getting excited about some inside news that has. I say let Bird be bird and keep the info coming, whatever he can share. All press and buzz and good press and buzz for this program!
Information?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: What do you know now, that you did NOT know before the chirp...?
I agree, let B be B....but the fact that anyone takes it seriously...just seems kinda silly. And if it's silly, we all have a right to have fun with it.

I'm going to go on the record right now and say..."After this thing that has been referred to that's going to be crazy (no clue as to date/time/substance)...there is going to be another thing (no clue as to date/time/substance) that's crazy..." Just wait and see....
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:People want information and then get mad about a fan getting excited about some inside news that has. I say let Bird be bird and keep the info coming, whatever he can share. All press and buzz and good press and buzz for this program!
Information?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: What do you know now, that you did NOT know before the chirp...?
I agree, let B be B....but the fact that anyone takes it seriously...just seems kinda silly. And if it's silly, we all have a right to have fun with it.

I'm going to go on the record right now and say..."After this thing that has been referred to that's going to be crazy (no clue as to date/time/substance)...there is going to be another thing (no clue as to date/time/substance) that's crazy..." Just wait and see....
He usually does share more information, clearly he can't say more than he is about this. I'm fine with it, wish we had 5,000 birds so tickets would be harder to get and the program would be in a lot stronger financial position.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm just trying to find out what "inside news" you're excited about now. But, here goes...I have some inside news that I can't talk about that's going to happen before and be even bigger than the news bird can't talk about... (that oughta sell a few tix, no??)

You're welcome, just doin' my part. Now, all we need is another 4,998 people to do the same....
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I'm just trying to find out what "inside news" you're excited about now. But, here goes...I have some inside news that I can't talk about that's going to happen before and be even bigger than the news bird can't talk about... (that oughta sell a few tix, no??)

You're welcome, just doin' my part. Now, all we need is another 4,998 people to do the same....
You had me at hello already so I'm sold!
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

I haven't checked in on the forum too much this offseason, so i might have missed this. I noticed #49 Courtney Ramey in '18 top 100 has an offer from us based on ESPN and didn't see his name anywhere in our recruiting thread. He decommitted from louisville... does this have any relation with the "news"
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

excellent guess, but I can't say right now...
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Another point guard--I doubt it.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I find NYG’s post much more irrating than Bird’s tweet. Bird has provided accurate news with detail in advanve many times over the years. This is the first time I can remember him not sharing any details. I respect that because it isn’t typical. I am guessing he would put his source in a really bad position. I think he shared it on twitter because he is excited for Rhody MBB. Nothing more.
9 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, why even say you have something and not be willing to share it?
If sources are a problem, then just STFU, instead of this
childish game of,"I know something that you don't".
Hell, my granddaughters do that, but they're 7 and 9 years old.
BTW, I know the unknown soldier and you guys don't. :D
4 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

rodfromcranston wrote:Reminds me of the Orange Moron, who
What Rod wrote.

Self-Serving Twat, I mean, Tweets. Could care less... I'll be happy with URI basketball, DH, the staff, AD, President, etc., with or without whatever is the BIG news.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I hate waiting so long to find out this program altering news !! We need to know baby !!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:So, why even say you have something and not be willing to share it?
If sources are a problem, then just STFU, instead of this
childish game of,"I know something that you don't".
Hell, my granddaughters do that, but they're 7 and 9 years old.
BTW, I know the unknown soldier and you guys don't. :D
Seriously you didn't go at Neil like this. You yourself have posted on this very board that news was coming but you couldn't share the details at the moment. Why the hostility towards Bird?
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DanInAZ wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Reminds me of the Orange Moron, who
What Rod wrote.

Self-Serving Twat, I mean, Tweets. Could care less... I'll be happy with URI basketball, DH, the staff, AD, President, etc., with or without whatever is the BIG news.
Really, you went with that as an opening line? Great post...
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

At a time where the second hottest topic is "what is the future of parking at basketball games", I find this adds some intrigue to the board.
Birdman obviously is close to the program and his information has not been wrong often, if ever.
Whatever he has seems like a positive thing, so I find it odd that anyone can be made unhappy or angry by this.
In TV, this is known as a 'teaser'. It keeps you watching until next week.

A-well-a ev'rybody's heard about the bird
B-b-b-bird, b-birdd's a word
A-well, a bird, bird, bird, bird is a word
A-well, a bird, bird, bird, well-a bird is a word
A-well, a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's a word
A-well, a bird, bird, b-bird is a word
A-well, a bird, bird, b-bird's a word
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is a word
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I will just say that I have bigger news I can't share that will happen first...hopefully bird doesn't steal it and call it his...

On a serious note, can someone please share some bird-isms that actually happened? Would just be good to see "information has not been wrong". And, not something like, "big news, can't share", followed by "news"...and then "told ya"...?

Thanks
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodyblue12 wrote:At a time where the second hottest topic is "what is the future of parking at basketball games", I find this adds some intrigue to the board.
Birdman obviously is close to the program and his information has not been wrong often, if ever.
Whatever he has seems like a positive thing, so I find it odd that anyone can be made unhappy or angry by this.
In TV, this is known as a 'teaser'. It keeps you watching until next week.

A-well-a ev'rybody's heard about the bird
B-b-b-bird, b-birdd's a word
A-well, a bird, bird, bird, bird is a word
A-well, a bird, bird, b-bird is a word
A-well, a bird, bird, b-bird's a word
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is a word

Well, this is RI:

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:On a serious note, can someone please share some bird-isms that actually happened? Would just be good to see "information has not been wrong". And, not something like, "big news, can't share", followed by "news"...and then "told ya"...?

Thanks
You missed several examples. Scroll up. This is why not ALL of us are laughing him off the board -- he HAS delivered information. It is also very normal for people to be entrusted with information that they must keep under embargo. It IS hard to keep that excitement to one's self. As was mentioned, nobody went after Neil for sharing that we'd be happy with a future opponent next year at the Ryan Center. Others here know which game that is as well, but it really cannot be publicly shared at this time.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I will just say that I have bigger news I can't share that will happen first...hopefully bird doesn't steal it and call it his...
This joke really wasn't funny the first 500 times you used it, I don't think it's going to get funnier
8 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That is a classic....the Family Guy piece that is....
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

The Birdman has been out ahead of the flock on several things ranging from recruit visits, to scheduling announcements, and even called the change in the summer trip from Europe to the Bahamas. Obviously he has a pretty well placed source in the program.

So, if whatever info he knows gives him a rush of excitement and pumps him up, then I'm pumped about it too. The news will break soon enough. Thanks Birdman for the heads-up!

Go Rhody
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can we freeze this conversation until the news breaks? It's bigger tease than chicks in college.
1 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I believe in the bird man !

DREAM BIG, I DO !

don't let me down !!!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Sly Williams is going to use his final year of eligibility.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Lamar Odom is coming home.....
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Nobody is laughing Birdman off the board, we recognize there has been credible info before. This particular time it is a bit funny that the teaser literally contains no info at all but that Bird knows something big about the program, not something big about recruiting or schedule or facilities or TV contracts, just something big. When I read it I laughed, specifically because I thought of NYGfan! I knew this would rock his boat...Anyway, a proper teaser should at least have one piece of info to chomp on. This isn't at all like neil, neil wasn't trying to build suspense or profile etc. and neil provided context.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

The early signing period is Nov 8-15 so there's that.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

RR2 taking shots at Neil?
Neil is an icon on KB, not some self serving guy
dropping F bombs in tweets.
Still trying to figure out how Dan is a "legend".
Yes, I had info that I said I had, but it was of a
specific nature, not BIG NEWS COMING.
I also shared whatever information with
those I trust here, by PMs.
I also am not anonymous, like this guy is.
I never made a separate post proclaiming that I had news.
I also got the scoop on Thorr staying, Lamar's OD condition, Cox coming here,
among others,my conversations with coaches and players, without the drama show.
I've also gotten calls from URI telling me to not say this or that,
or expressing alarm at somethings I wrote here.
Whatever.....
Last edited by rodfromcranston 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

LeBron James is going to leave the NBA to play in college at URI.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The Birdman is sticking to his story:

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is cool

3 x
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Stupid question--is it safe to say the UCONN football game is not the "Big News"?
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

John Vanner the hype man is retiring after this season per Bill Koch.. I’m assuming not the big news being discussed.
2 x