Big News Forthcoming??? (Spoiler: It's the West Virgina Game @ Mohegan Sun)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Big News Forthcoming???

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:What is going on on the 20th?
Lol
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

This happened a long time ago. I don't know why everyone assumes Hurley did not punish Stan when everything happened. I have no inside knowledge on this, but I think assuming that the punishment will come only because of charges doesn't seem to align with the character of our coach. It would really surprise me if Stan hasn't already been punished for his actions that night.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

What was the punishment? He didn't start against Buffalo? He ran sprints after practice ? He had to write 100 times I will not punch a cop in the face again?
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A public infraction will result in a public penalty IMO. Something done within the team isn't going to be enough in this situation.
2 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Iggy1979 wrote:What was the punishment? He didn't start against Buffalo? He ran sprints after practice ? He had to write 100 times I will not punch a cop in the face again?
Does it matter? The punishment should be for Stan, specifically to improve as a person, not for the public's satisfaction. Whatever Thor and Hurley deem necessary is sufficient. Should Boswell also be given some additional punishment or has he payed his debt to Keaney Blue?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No idea how they handle this kind of thing, but...seems that with a publicly documented arrest, the team (school?) will have to say something about it publicly at some point? Obviously up to them to decide what that point is, but it would seem reasonable that it would happen 'after' the public activity? As in, 'in response to (what is public knowledge, i.e., arrest and subsequent legal activity if applicable) A, we did B'? Can you do that without full understanding/acknowledgement of what "A" is? (Maybe you can...I dunno...) Unless the thinking is you can do some NCAA-style pre-emptive "self-imposed ______"..... and I don't know why, but I kinda doubt that'd be the case....

Waiting for someone to come on here and say they know, but can't tell anyone.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:What was the punishment? He didn't start against Buffalo? He ran sprints after practice ? He had to write 100 times I will not punch a cop in the face again?
I find this attitude perplexing. It doesn't count unless Iggy knows about it? Personally, I don't get off on wishing for maximum disruption in these kids' lives. It is some kind of weird psychology that causes people to want to see other people suffer.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't want to see Stan, or any other kid for that matter, suffer either. But, realistically, seems that they (team/school) would be doing something...like BAR said => a public infraction usually results in a public penalty...just because, that's what usually happens...not because any of us thinks he 'has to be' publicly penalized (although some might).
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Completely agree. I find this upsetting. I also think it is rare for this charge to come so far removed from the incident. Ordinary citizens don’t get identified and usually get arrested on the spot or go about their lives.

Personally I hope Stan and Boswell are able to bounce back and lead wonderful lives capitalizing on their time at URI.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:
It is some kind of weird psychology that causes people to want to see other people suffer.
People want to see consequences for actions. Also a one game suspension for getting arrested is pretty reasonable and most likely any punishment behind closed doors is less severe than missing a game.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If he gets suspended a game or two, it wouldn't be some monumental travesty of justice, but I won't find it in any way satisfying. If this were a sexual assault or some other morally reprehensible thing, I wouldn't want my program to be associated with that. But here, I just don't think the underlying infraction was that big of a deal, and I think the charges reflect that.

Honestly, I think it was petty of the SKPD to bring charges two months after the fact, on the eve of the season (which is by no means lost on them), especially considering the history and credibility of the charging officer. So if the team wants to handle it in house, it doesn't bother me.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, we know 100% that Stan punched a cop in the face? That's news to me.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

A public infraction will result in a public penalty when it comes to a Div 1 scholarship athlete at the state university. It's PR101, no one is arguing the merits of the alleged incident, unfortunately no one knows that unless they were in that bathroom. But he was charged with a crime, and i would be shocked if he didn't serve some type of suspension, most likely a meaningless one given the context here (ie 1-2 games).
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

From what I can tell, no one here really knows the details of what Stan did or say, or what the cop did. Absent those details I don't see how we can judge one way or another.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody74 wrote:From what I can tell, no one here really knows the details of what Stan did or say, or what the cop did. Absent those details I don't see how we can judge one way or another.
That's exactly how I feel.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
I find this attitude perplexing. It doesn't count unless Iggy knows about it? Personally, I don't get off on wishing for maximum disruption in these kids' lives. It is some kind of weird psychology that causes people to want to see other people suffer.
I'm not sure what I'm being accused of here. There's plenty of things I don't know. And I don't wish bad on anyone. I'm guessing that discipline has not been handed out yet. I don't know if there will be any. IMHO URI will need to address this publicly, just like they did with Boswell.
If the cops aren't treating Stan fairly he can fight the charges. That's the way the system works. SKPD have witness statements from 6 people and surveillance video.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I dont know if I would call it an accusation, but it felt to me like you were looking for a pound of flesh.

Let me ask you this: if they have video evidence, why did it take them 2 months to charge a few misdemeanors?
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I have no idea why it took so long. If Stan didn't punch a cop in the face then I hope he fights the assault charge.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think we both know he isn't going to fight anything. He will get some capable representation and they will take the best plea they can get to make this go away as quickly and quietly as possible. I think the whole thing is disappointing, and I won't feel any better about if Stan has to sit a few games. That's all I'm saying.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:Let me ask you this: if they have video evidence, why did it take them 2 months to charge a few misdemeanors?
It takes time to gather witnesses. They had to find and interview a lot of people. They should’ve arrested him as soon as he made contact with the police officer - that was a mistake. They didn’t need to make another mistake in charging him quickly without building their case to satisfy Rhody MBB fans.

We are proud of URI and want our student athletes to follow the laws of our society and the rules of the University. If they don’t we expect the consequences to be just and not less than another student. What would your comment be if this a PC starter and there was no punishment?

university of rhode island conduct system
The University Conduct System at the University of Rhode Island is designed to hold students accountable for maintaining the standards of conduct of the URI community. For more detailed information about specific conduct policies and procedures, please refer to the URI Student Handbook or call the Dean of Students Office.

Stan will be charged under the university conduct system.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Let me ask you this: if they have video evidence, why did it take them 2 months to charge a few misdemeanors?
It takes time to gather witnesses. They had to find and interview a lot of people.
Yeah, man. Go back and read through the other thread about the incident - I made basically this exact statement after two weeks, three weeks. I understand the way investigations work. Two months for some throwaway misdemeanors is not normal or appropriate, and it seems like a deliberate attempt by the SKPD to time the charge to embarrass URI and the basketball program. If you have video, you know what you have. You don't need to talk to everyone that was in the zip code that night to put together a misdemeanor charge that is not ever, ever going to go to trial and is going to get plead out.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
It takes time to gather witnesses. They had to find and interview a lot of people.
Yeah, man. Go back and read through the other thread about the incident - I made basically this exact statement after two weeks, three weeks. I understand the way investigations work. Two months for some throwaway misdemeanors is not normal or appropriate, and it seems like a deliberate attempt by the SKPD to time the charge to embarrass URI and the basketball program. If you have video, you know what you have. You don't need to talk to everyone that was in the zip code that night to put together a misdemeanor charge that is not ever, ever going to go to trial and is going to get plead out.
We disagree. There isn’t an appropriate amount of time. Let’s focus on the act. Stan hit a cop in the face. Consequences are warranted.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Can we please stop posting, "Stan punched a cop in the face" on this thread? Not only is that claim entirely unsubstantiated at this point, but if that were the case, he would be charged with battery and not assault.

Furthermore, he was charged with simple assault, not APO (assault on a police officer). APO can be defined as simply opposing an officer's authority -- based on the charges at hand, there is no evidence to suggest the assault charge is directly related to the officer in question.

Think about this, when is the last time you heard of somebody punching a cop and being arrested 2 months later? Officers of the law don't typically get punched and let the assailaint head home for the evening. Let alone 53 of them.

Let's not make this situation worse by creating rumors and speculating on a case we have little to no facts about. Due process exists for a reason, let's respect it.
5 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, we know 100% that Stan punched a cop in the face? That's news to me.
no way a cop was punched and Stan was let go...no fng way.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I find it hard to believe Stan punched an officer in the face. If in fact he did he deserves to be suspended
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

the_one_mike wrote:
Let's not make this situation worse by creating rumors and speculating on a case we have little to no facts about. Due process exists for a reason, let's respect it.
Isn't that what this entire thread has been about??
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
I understand the way investigations work. Two months for some throwaway misdemeanors is not normal or appropriate, and it seems like a deliberate attempt by the SKPD to time the charge to embarrass URI and the basketball program. If you have video, you know what you have. You don't need to talk to everyone that was in the zip code that night to put together a misdemeanor charge that is not ever, ever going to go to trial and is going to get plead out.[/quote]

This x1000. I'm surprised they're letting the cop get away with this.

Sometimes you get surprised a player gets away with something. But here, this is a shock. Assault? Did they bumped into each other and Stan was part of what they were breaking up? WITNESSES? Are you kidding? If you want to investigate and do all this crap go do real cop work.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I agree with those who say 53 days after the fact, to wait that long to charge Stan for misdemeanors is ridiculous.

You would think that the higher ups at the police dept. would have a little more common sense.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

If anyone punched a cop in the face, the cops would have hauled him away and given him a little tune-up before throwing (literally) him into jail.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I'm not sure what I'm being accused of here. There's plenty of things I don't know. And I don't wish bad on anyone. I'm guessing that discipline has not been handed out yet. I don't know if there will be any. IMHO URI will need to address this publicly, just like they did with Boswell.
If the cops aren't treating Stan fairly he can fight the charges. That's the way the system works. SKPD have witness statements from 6 people and surveillance video.
Couple of things here Iggy.

First, he didn't punch a cop in the face. The police report, slanted or otherwise, clearly says struck.

Put yourself in a skirmish with a bunch of other people. You get grabbed from behind amidst a whole bunch of shouting and pushing with strangers. Your immediate reaction is to throw a hand back and get that stranger off you. If that person you strike is a cop, that's terrible luck, not pre-meditated assault as your sentence would make it seem.

All of that is nevermind the poor policing tactics used that didn't help de-escalate the situation.

If you're guessing that discipline hasn't been handed out yet, I'd hazard a guess that you're wrong. Dan has never struck me as the type to base his decisions on external pressure. They didn't address anything public with Ty. Ty was suspended because the case was brand new and the facts were being collected. Everything that needed to be learned about the case was learned over a month ago. Nothing changed but the cop's reaction.

Now you want to talk about the system? OK sure. Stan and Ty get profiled and then go and make a federal case of it, bringing loads of heat and press to the South Kingstown PD. What does that do the whole school year? EC or Cyril or Jared go down to Charlie O's and there's a target on their back? Jarvis doesn't cross at a cross-walk and they bring him in?

How does that affect the team moving forward? How does that affect the kids that you can recruit in a minority-dominated sport if they are going to live and socialize in a town with LEO's holding a hair across their ass for the entire team?

I have a hard time understanding how anyone can act like this is a clear cut situation.

There are a lot of realities that exist even in our quaint, staid, southern New England towns, whether we want to admit them or not.

Advocating for throwing the book at a kid when it sounds like you know 45% of the facts of a situation is a tough look.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody83 wrote:
It takes time to gather witnesses. They had to find and interview a lot of people. They should’ve arrested him as soon as he made contact with the police officer - that was a mistake. They didn’t need to make another mistake in charging him quickly without building their case to satisfy Rhody MBB fans.

We are proud of URI and want our student athletes to follow the laws of our society and the rules of the University. If they don’t we expect the consequences to be just and not less than another student. What would your comment be if this a PC starter and there was no punishment?

university of rhode island conduct system
The University Conduct System at the University of Rhode Island is designed to hold students accountable for maintaining the standards of conduct of the URI community. For more detailed information about specific conduct policies and procedures, please refer to the URI Student Handbook or call the Dean of Students Office.

Stan will be charged under the university conduct system.
83, I would also say that we are proud of our LEO's and want them to follow proper police protocols and tactics for de-escalating situations, especially when amongst college kids at a concert. Just because a white cop gets surrounded by a few kids of color at a concert, doesn't rationalize breaking those procedures in a panic.

As for not making an arrest at the time? No matter what they "should" have done, they didn't. That would mean for the situation, it was satisfied to let most parties walk away. Maybe SKPD "should have" not felt the need to throw their jurisdictional big dicks all over the place just to prove to the University Police that they can do things too? Maybe URI PD was satisfied with the result of the situation to let everyone walk away but SKPD really felt the need to prove how great they are at arresting people?

My comment if this were a PC starter would be exactly the same as it is now. This isn't a Donnie Mcgrath situation, it's drunken yelling and shoving between kids at a show. I'd also guess that Providence Police have real shit to deal with, and a couple of kids yelling and pushing in the Dunk isn't going to get them to panic and start getting into a fray unnecessarily.

If Eric Church played a show at the Ryan Center and a bunch of white kids get into it, do the cops react the same way? I would guess no.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

So on 1 side we have player throws haymaker at cop on the other we have accusations of racial profiling within the SKPD...how very 2017 of us. My guess is truth lies somewhere in the middle, over aggressive cop + emotional young kid who exercised poor judgment.
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hell our mascot was jumped in the dunk and nothing happened, nevermind what the police would do if there was a consensual fight
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Can't wait til Friday night :D :D :D
4 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

bigappleram wrote:So on 1 side we have player throws haymaker at cop on the other we have accusations of racial profiling within the SKPD...how very 2017 of us. My guess is truth lies somewhere in the middle, over aggressive cop + emotional young kid who exercised poor judgment.
Thank the lord there is someone left out there with some sense in his head. No one in this discussion was there and I'd find it hard to believe anyone in this discussion has seen any of the evidence, so there's that...

it's all conjecture.

The only thing I can say about the whole debacle, is I wish cooler heads had prevailed. Getting riled up and carried away happens, hopefully lessons will be learned.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
josephski
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
Yes but it's only ok to speculate that Stan was the victim and the cops are bad guys.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

josephski wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
Yes but it's only ok to speculate that Stan was the victim and the cops are bad guys.
Well we already have the cop's speculation/side of the story, so that would kind of make sense.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
I feel like that is the opposite of what is happening. Some posters are saying that Stan punched a cop in the face, which is obviously an irresponsible thing to say, and then other posters are offering a counter narrative.

I think considering this particular cop's history combined with what we know about other police interactions around the country and with what little we know about this actual event, plus the way the SKPD has handled the case in the TWO MONTHS since the incident, speculating that the SKPD officer may have overreacted to the situation, may have overstated what happened, and may have overstepped by bringing these charges is all well within the bounds of reasonableness.
5 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I feel like that is the opposite of what is happening. Some posters are saying that Stan punched a cop in the face, which is obviously an irresponsible thing to say, and then other posters are offering a counter narrative.

I think considering this particular cop's history combined with what we know about other police interactions around the country and with what little we know about this actual event, plus the way the SKPD has handled the case in the TWO MONTHS since the incident, speculating that the SKPD officer may have overreacted to the situation, may have overstated what happened, and may have overstepped by bringing these charges is all well within the bounds of reasonableness.
That's all possible but I think speculating the cops motive was race is crazy which is what Blue Man seemed to be speculating. Also the cop who was allegedly struck in the face by Stan was Officer Martin according to the police report, not the same one who arrested Boswell and had a previous questionable arrest. Only Officer Marlers (cop who arrested Boswell) statement was posted on here so I'm assuming Officer Martin also has a statement that we don't know about.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

I think this is a major stretch. You are wrong about the particular cop. Because there have been horrible actions in the country by a small % of cops it must have happened here with this particular cop.

Stan was thrown out of the RC after his altercation with the cop.
The cop had a split lip. Maybe you think he cut himself.
Stan came back into the RC.
After coming back into the RC, Stan was involved in the incident in the bathroom.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

So I agree it's irresponsible to say Stan punched the cop in the face since no one knows that to be true. But isn't it equally irresponsible to infer there is a profiling situation going on here based on "other police interactions around the country"? That seems wildly speculative with little basis besides there was a cop and a young black male.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BAR - agree. Not to split hairs here, but nobody has stated that there was bad policing (on racial grounds or any other) as fact; whereas it has been stated as fact that Stan "punched a cop in the face." I'm sorry if my point hasn't been well articulated, but I'm just saying we don't really know how the police handled the situation so maybe we shouldn't be demanding that the coach suspends him from the team for some amount of time.

In raising the possibility of improper action by the police, I am not trying to accuse them of that, just reinforce that we don't know enough to have super strong opinions.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I am only saying it is bazar.

The length of the investigation. The fact there was one. The issue that the PD didn't tell the cop to move on.

Like will this make it past an arraignment? Way to use resources and waste peoples' time.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I am only saying it is bazar.

The length of the investigation. The fact there was one. The issue that the PD didn't tell the cop to move on.

Like will this make it past an arraignment? Way to use resources and waste peoples' time.
Thats what I still dont understand about this... Was anyone actually ever hurt in the first place besides the bathroom stall? I dont get how you would be arrested a month and a half later following a one person fight?
1 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Back on topic. Is the big news, the changes to the South concourse?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I am only saying it is bazar.

It's bizarre not bazar.

The length of time for an investigation is irrelevant. For any issue, take as long as needed, get all the information, and then report. Rushing an investigation just to get it done because some people are impatient is wrong. That's how things get done half-assed.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

:oops: Maybe the big news is the new strip search to get into the games :oops:
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That seems a little strange, to me at least.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Belichickian. Love it.
1 x