Parking?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Parking?

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

There was an announcement today that there would be a change in security (which we saw today with the scanners at the doors), and with parking. Does anybody know what the change is for parking? Is it possible it will no longer be free?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Parking?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I know the Dairy Barn Lot is going away with the building of the new apartment building. I'm not sure what domino effect that will have for game parking. Also many people were parking by the east stands at Meade, but I believe that's being used as a staging area for the engineering complex construction
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

The university also made the main Keaney side lot into an all resident student lot this year. Where in the past it was half commuter parking and available for fans at games. It's a domino as RR mentioned above from new apartment building going up and losing dairy barn lot which was resident student parking in the past.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

GansettSummer wrote:The university also made the main Keaney side lot into an all resident student lot this year. Where in the past it was half commuter parking and available for fans at games. It's a domino as RR mentioned above from new apartment building going up and losing dairy barn lot which was resident student parking in the past.
So, where are they going to put everybody?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....on shuttle buses from the train station........?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote:.....on shuttle buses from the train station........?
Usually not enough spots to fill a bus?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:.....on shuttle buses from the train station........?

There is typically little available parking at the Kingston station. There is however usually an always nearly empty parking garage at the Wickford Junction stop.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
GansettSummer wrote:The university also made the main Keaney side lot into an all resident student lot this year. Where in the past it was half commuter parking and available for fans at games. It's a domino as RR mentioned above from new apartment building going up and losing dairy barn lot which was resident student parking in the past.
So, where are they going to put everybody?
Maybe there will be shuttle buses running between the Ryan Center and the Fine Arts Lot?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Do the commuter lots ever even fill up for a game? Id be shocked.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I was just going to post that. Never, even with PC game, does the big lot across diagonal from Ryan Center fill up completely.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

URI needs to build a parking garage a la Bridgewater State in place of the RC parking lot
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

hrstrat57 wrote:URI needs to build a parking garage a la Bridgewater State in place of the RC parking lot
I had heard there was talk of that a while back. Along with a hotel on campus, which would be a great idea.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In the master plan the parking garage was slated to be behind the library where the fraternity house is.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Bridgewater State garage is awesome overlooks the tennis complex. Was a great spot to watch my daughter tennis match when they played vs BSU Bears!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:I was just going to post that. Never, even with PC game, does the big lot across diagonal from Ryan Center fill up completely.
I parked there 2 years ago for the PC game. It looked pretty full to me. It took at least 45 minutes to get out of the lot and another 45 to get off campus.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Doesn't matter how full the lot is...takes forever to get out....
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URI does not need a hotel. There's hotels on Route 1 with available rooms.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:URI does not need a hotel. There's hotels on Route 1 with available rooms.

The Holiday Inn at Rt. 138/Rt 1 not that great, and Hampton Inn in the Commons books up fast. A hotel on campus would be a much-needed asset. Especially for graduations, etc. Outside of those two options, you're looking at Aqua Blue (former Village Inn in Narragansett) or trekking over the bridges to Newport.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hotel, with sports bar, please.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I was just going to post that. Never, even with PC game, does the big lot across diagonal from Ryan Center fill up completely.

It was full for the Dayton Friday night game last year as it had less spaces due to the snow storm the night before. Got there late since the roads were so bad in South County even 24 hours after the storm. I drove around the lots and had to get creative with parking as there were no normal spaces open. While losing spaces to snow banks is not a typical every day occurrence, it sometimes happens.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

As I'[ve said for years, and mentioned to Thorr a few times,
how about numbering the lot sections, so people can more
easily find their cars?
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rod +10000
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Signage is coming. A parking garage is needed. I can’t bare to see more giagantic lots of asphalt.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......hotel on campus?.......still part of long range planning......last time I checked with my source......restaurant/bar as part of the amenities is unknown......project in my opinion is warranted....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote:URI needs to build a parking garage a la Bridgewater State in place of the RC parking lot

Parking garages are extremely expensive to build on a per car space basis and are usually only constructed when there is limited open space available nearby for surface lots. URI has little money and much available open space. I therefore highly doubt you will see parking garages anytime soon in Kingston.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

There is currently a transportation master plan as well as an overall campus master plan being developed for the Kingston and Bay campuses. So the planning and research is underway.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I know my phone remembers where I park even without asking. I know this doesn't help people without an Android/iOS phone, but many people have these kinds of phones but aren't aware of all their features. If you carry one, look into it.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I have a rotary phone.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:I have a rotary phone.
I have a BlackBerry, so some would say you have a leg up on me :lol:
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I know my phone remembers where I park even without asking. I know this doesn't help people without an Android/iOS phone, but many people have these kinds of phones but aren't aware of all their features. If you carry one, look into it.
Is it an app that records locations?
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You could just take a picture of the row number/section you're in, like I do at the airport...oh wait, to Rod's point...no, you can't...
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

On hotel, in the summertime, my friend could not find a room, had to get a motel in Westerly, but he wanted to be near Kingston.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:I know my phone remembers where I park even without asking. I know this doesn't help people without an Android/iOS phone, but many people have these kinds of phones but aren't aware of all their features. If you carry one, look into it.
Is it an app that records locations?

Maps on my iPhone does this for me. Not 100% sure if you have to have a Bluetooth enabled car for this to work.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I’ve been doing this for awhile. Very helpful if you are parked in a large lot, unfamiliar city etc.

After you park, just open Google Maps or Apple Maps app from your phone, make sure it recognizes your current location and just hold down on your touch screen. It’ll offer to “drop a pin” (google) or “mark your location” (apple maps) and will save it. Then when you leave, open the app and select the pin and it’ll provide walking instructions to the exact location of your car. Works like a charm every single time.

FYI this is also extremely helpful if meeting someone in a large public place as it also provides an option to send your dropped pin/location to someone else. Came in handy when meeting a friend at a recent Pats game. Texted it and they got exact walking instructions to get straight to me in a random lot at Gillette. Way better than saying “Lot 13, Row MM, 3 cars on the left next to the Masshole looking bros in Brady jerseys”
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

....Buckets; hopefully you have a reserved space for your arrival at the RC, if not, an investigation is called for......ready for the banner?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

section(105) wrote:....Buckets; hopefully you have a reserved space for your arrival at the RC, if not, an investigation is called for......ready for the banner?
Well I don’t have a reserved space, but I typically arrive 2 hours before tipoff so luckily parking isn’t ever a real issue for me.

You bet I’m ready to raise the banners - and fully expect to add another pair next to ‘em about a year from now.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 10th.
8 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

EZBuckets wrote:
section(105) wrote:....Buckets; hopefully you have a reserved space for your arrival at the RC, if not, an investigation is called for......ready for the banner?
Well I don’t have a reserved space, but I typically arrive 2 hours before tipoff so luckily parking isn’t ever a real issue for me.

You bet I’m ready to raise the banners - and fully expect to add another pair next to ‘em about a year from now.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 10th.
Here's hoping your job is a lot easier this year!
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Rhody74 wrote:Here's hoping your job is a lot easier this year!
Amen, brother. This will be my 10th (and final) season. I'm hopeful that we'll see plenty of big crowds and renewed energy from fans at the Ryan Center this season.

This team deserves it...as do my vocal cords.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......speaking of crowds, is this the season we will experience a noticeable bump in attendance, ticket sales of all types, and the “casual fan” showing up to check this team out......November 10th is one of the early indicators......the season prediction contest will be interesting to watch with the range of attendance averages.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

EZBuckets wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Here's hoping your job is a lot easier this year!
Amen, brother. This will be my 10th (and final) season. I'm hopeful that we'll see plenty of big crowds and renewed energy from fans at the Ryan Center this season.

This team deserves it...as do my vocal cords.

I don't even want to think about someone replacing you on the mic. They've got huge shoes to fill.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:.......speaking of crowds, is this the season we will experience a noticeable bump in attendance, ticket sales of all types, and the “casual fan” showing up to check this team out......November 10th is one of the early indicators......the season prediction contest will be interesting to watch with the range of attendance averages.....
As of now there are tons of tickets available for Nov 10th. Not much sold in the 300 sections and even a couple of sections in the 200s with quite a few seats available. Hoping for a large student turnout to help honor last year's team. Still 9 days. Hopefully regular sales pick up.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They're showing high availability in 201 but when you click on it there are no regular seats left. That's a student section
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I plan on buying seats for the 10th soon. Hoping my buddy can go to the box office. The online $5 per ticket fee is not something I'm willing to pay.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

All those seats that look like they're sold in the back halves of the 300 sections aren't sold. They will turn green if the front part of the sections start to sell.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A new hotel has been approved by the Town and will be located across from Government Ctr next to the Bradley school off of Route 1.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

New parking rules per email sent out:

GENERAL PUBLIC PARKING (NON-RAMS FUND DONOR PARKING)

GENERAL PUBLIC PLAINS ROAD LOT - All general fans attending a URI Men's Basketball game are instructed to park in the Plains Road lot. Parking in the Plains Road lot is free to the general public and directly across the street from the Ryan Center.

MEN'S BASKETBALL GENERAL PLAINS ROAD LOT TRAFFIC & PARKING MAP
http://www.gorhody.com/tickets/men-s_ba ... _11x17.pdf

RAMS FUND DONOR LOT PARKING - Please note special parking passes are required for these lots as they are paid donor lots.

RAM LOT PARKING - Passes for the RAM Lot are distributed to qualifying individuals who donate to the RAMS Fund and are members of the All-American, Keaney and Golden Ram Society Level.

MEN'S BASKETBALL RAM LOT PASS HOLDERS TRAFFIC & PARKING MAP

KEANEY ROAD LOT PARKING - Passes for the Keaney Road Lot are distributed to qualifying individuals who donate to the RAMS Fund and are members of the Silver Ram Society level donors by priority points. No changes have been made with this parking lot.

LOT A PARKING - Passes for the A Lot are distributed to qualifying individuals who donate to the RAMS Fund and are members of the Silver Ram and Athletic Director level donors.

MEN'S BASKETBALL A LOT PASS HOLDERS TRAFFIC & PARKING MAP

The University, URI Athletics, and the Ryan Center appreciate everyone’s patience as we implement these enhanced security measures and parking arrangements. We look forward to another safe and successful year on the campus of URI. For additional information please visit www.theryancenter.com, www.gorhody.com or call the Ryan Center Box Office at (401) 874-RAMS (7267) or email at info@theryancenter.com.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Now that there's been a few games at the RC this season, is parking any clearer? Can we or can we not park in the Keaney/Boss lots? I typically would rather park at the side in between Boss and Mackel. If that's still an option, that's my preference.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote:Now that there's been a few games at the RC this season, is parking any clearer? Can we or can we not park in the Keaney/Boss lots? I typically would rather park at the side in between Boss and Mackel. If that's still an option, that's my preference.
We can park in either Plains Rd lot or the Keaney/Boss Arena lot.
1 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Now that there's been a few games at the RC this season, is parking any clearer? Can we or can we not park in the Keaney/Boss lots? I typically would rather park at the side in between Boss and Mackel. If that's still an option, that's my preference.
We can park in either Plains Rd lot or the Keaney/Boss Arena lot.
Thanks!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!