11/13 | Nevada Wolf Pack | 11:30PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Re: 11/13 | Nevada Wolf Pack | 11:30PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by runninrams5 »

Any word on the injury to Stephens if he will be available tonight, he is a good player and good shooter. Also any link to their board?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

T-Shirts for 1st 2000
MUSS BUS is their student group

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

apologies to my boss.. but i will be very tired tomorrow morning...

let's gooooooooooooooo

HUGE early game tonight !

FOCUS !!!!!!!!

EFF THE MUSS BUS !
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

nap after work...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:This kind of game, even though it's very early, will tell us a lot about how this season will go....

Time to win a few close ones on the road against good teams....am I confident about that?

We'll see, and soon.
Just like last year when we knew all we needed to in December and people on the board were ready to fire the coach and start a search because we were never going to make the NCAAs.

No November game is an indicator of how a season will go.

Win or lose this game we're fine. Early season basketball is always a toss up.

That said I feel confident. Idaho hung around for a while against Nevada on Friday, and our 2 best players didn't find their offense in a wire to wire blow out.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Blue Man wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:This kind of game, even though it's very early, will tell us a lot about how this season will go....

Time to win a few close ones on the road against good teams....am I confident about that?

We'll see, and soon.
Just like last year when we knew all we needed to in December and people on the board were ready to fire the coach and start a search because we were never going to make the NCAAs.

That said I feel confident. Idaho hung around for a while against Nevada on Friday, and our 2 best players didn't find their offense in a wire to wire blow out.
I am confident but I am a little worried that have a bit more size than us. We will see, can't wait!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I guess some didn't read the "very early" part of my post.

Of course this isn't a make or break game!

However our OOC schedule will determine a lot. I expect a few losses, but we need to win a few close ones against good teams.
5 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

ramster wrote:
I kind of like this. Might be something Rhody should do. O, and Happy birthday Rod!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Ramster - I have Zouzoua on the roster above, but Pettway isn't listed on Nevada's roster anywhere I can find. I also just looked and couldn't find anything indicating he left the program, either. If Pettway is actually there and doing a year in residence, that would make five transfers sitting out this year.
Pettway is there as a walk-on. Cannot play this year, but next year he will have two years of eligility remaining.
http://mynews4.com/sports/back-the-pack ... university
Makes sense, since I think he was the fifth transfer to commit chronologically and they only had four scholarships available.

It is strange that the official Nevada roster includes four transfers and three walk-ons, but not Pettway. Wonder if there is some arcane rule precluding them from officially adding him to the roster that has to do with him being a transfer that is not on scholarship this year.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:

We'll see, and soon.

The game is not make-or-break, but a win would tell us a good amount about where this team is early and will also be a really good win to have banked for March considering it is only mid-November.

A win guarantees nothing about how the rest of the season will play out, and neither does a loss. But because this is a new team and it can't live off of last year's accomplishments, a win would go a good distance in terms of proving this team's legitimacy - at least to me. A loss wouldn't do the opposite, it would just delay that conclusion for me until a later date.

This game should be looked at as an opportunity for Rhody. As I mentioned in the preview, in college basketball an opportunity and a challenge are two sides of the same coin. Kind of like the old axiom nothing ventured nothing gained.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I went to the tournament game in Sacramento last year with my wifes cousin (Nevada grad living in Sac) and her uncle. Last year they were super athletic and it sounded like their program was on a similar trajectory to ours. This is a great opportunity for the team and a solid early-season chance to bond as they hit the west coast for the first time since last years run.

Hoping we can pull it out. Time for EC and Jared to get hot!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Preview updated to include game notes from gorhody and stories from the Providence Journal and Reno Gazette. Lots of time to read up for this one with an 11:30 tip.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is certainly a good early season test...while they don't have traditional bigs, they are big in general so it will be good to see how we rebound and hold our own in the paint against them. Key will be how much our perimeter defense can bother them and stifle their offensive flow. Live ball turnovers, contested shots are all things to look for if we are imposing our defensive will effectively. We also need our 2 alpha scorers - EC and JT - to bring it tonight.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If Nevada shoots 25-30 FTs Rhody is in trouble.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIU! RIU! RIU!

• Nevada faces a preseason conference favorite for the second consecutive game to begin the season in Rhode Island. RIU is picked to win the Atlantic 10 after posting a 25-10 record last season. Idaho the Pack's first opponent was picked to win the Big Sky.
• Nevada and Rhode Island are both receiving votes in the preseason polls. In the AP top 25 the Rams received 49 points and the Pack seven. In the USA Today Coaches poll RIU had 31 points and the Pack one.

http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/news/2017 ... onday.aspx
1 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

ramster wrote:RIU! RIU! RIU!

• Nevada faces a preseason conference favorite for the second consecutive game to begin the season in Rhode Island. RIU is picked to win the Atlantic 10 after posting a 25-10 record last season. Idaho the Pack's first opponent was picked to win the Big Sky.
• Nevada and Rhode Island are both receiving votes in the preseason polls. In the AP top 25 the Rams received 49 points and the Pack seven. In the USA Today Coaches poll RIU had 31 points and the Pack one.

12 hours to tip off n im fired up---RIU????? get r name right!!!!
Last edited by KMar970 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Big question is who is going to harness the spirit of Delroy James?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This is the kind of sloppiness that I have no respect for. It is easy to make a mistake when talking about something you don't know anything about - I'm sure a Nevada fan who closely read the preview I wrote in a half hour could find something to nitpick - but if you are a paid professional you have to put in enough effort to get an easy detail like this correct.

That is laziness and sloppiness that I would fire a writer over - not because the mistake itself is so critical, but because it is revealing of a total disregard for your work that you can guarantee will manifest in countless other ways. A simple google search for "Rhode Island University" returns pages of results for the "University of Rhode Island" and zero results for Rhode Island University. The top results are the school's website (URI dot EDU) and the school's wikipedia page which opens "The University of Rhode Island, commonly referred to as URI." Completely embarrassing effort.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:

This is the kind of sloppiness that I have no respect for. It is easy to make a mistake when talking about something you don't know anything about - I'm sure a Nevada fan who closely read the preview I wrote in a half hour could find something to nitpick - but if you are a paid professional you have to put in enough effort to get an easy detail like this correct.

That is laziness and sloppiness that I would fire a writer over - not because the mistake itself is so critical, but because it is revealing of a total disregard for your work that you can guarantee will manifest in countless other ways. A simple google search for "Rhode Island University" returns pages of results for the "University of Rhode Island" and zero results for Rhode Island University. The top results are the school's website (URI dot EDU) and the school's wikipedia page which opens "The University of Rhode Island, commonly referred to as URI." Completely embarrassing effort.
This is not a newspaper. This is the School Website - similar to our GoRhody.com
Still no excuse.

At any rate, post it on the Bulletin Board and show them tonight who RIU really is :D
At least our school radio station can relate WRIU
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Tough game from the Rams especially considering Nevada's length and our poor perimeter shooting so far. But the biggest drags on URI prospects are the time zone change, the late start to game and Reno's 4,500 ft. elevation. We will need our depth for this one.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good point on the elevation, Obadiah. Denver is 5,200 feet is Reno is not far from that.
Glad we flew out there Saturday to adjust as much as possible.
A tough game tonight indeed.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

going 3-2 in the 5-game group of Nevada, NIT 2 games, PC and Alabama would be a tremendous accomplishment for this team.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I emailed one of the contacts on the website about it and they responded apologizing for the oversight and corrected it!
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That's pretty good by them.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
PackHoops
Jim Eitner

Unread post by PackHoops »

Good afternoon Gents,

Figured I’d drop in and make a few comments that I’ve seen you guys comment on. First someone mentioned Stephens is injured, that is not the case. The player that has been dealing with an injury is Caleb Martin (turf toe).It is the reason he didn’t start Friday and I expect Muss didn’t want to play him saving him for tonight but Nevada started sluggish.Caleb and Caroline are the two players that have gotten a lot of preseason award nominations like 1st team MW picks etc.

Someone mentioned if the 6’7 guys were guards or forwards, almost all the 6’7 guys are more guards than forwards etc for Darien Williams and Elijah Foster (who is really 6’7 with big hair he magically grew an inch this summer and now is the Center). When Lindsey Drew sat Friday with fouls trouble Nevada played a lot of all 6’7 on the floor as both Martins can play PG with Cody Martin a true PG (he had 7 assists I think) Josh Hall at 6’7 will also play PG/SG.

Obviously both our teams don’t have true Centers and are similarly built. I can see this game going either way sometimes in a game like this just need 1 player on either side to be hot.

One last thing on Pettaway the Bryant transfer you guys talked about. He’s not listed on Nevada’s website as he actually isn’t abt nevada currently. He transferred with the intent to walk-on but for some reason is currently enrolled at a local community college TMCC. My guess his grades aren’t up to snuff yet so he’s not on the team.

Anyway if you guys can stay up should be a great early test for both teams.

Cheers

PackHoops (can find me on Twitter with that handle too)
Last edited by PackHoops 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PackHoops - thanks for dropping by and giving us the scouting report. Looking forward to tonight, and wishing you guys the best the rest of the way.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'd say Andre and Tertsea are true centers.
2 x
GO RAMS
PackHoops
Jim Eitner

Unread post by PackHoops »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I'd say Andre and Tertsea are true centers.
Looking at your roster I’d agree Tertsea is a true center, Nevada doesn’t have anyone like that. Andre at 6’8 I don’t normally consider a center more PF but at 275 is hefty and probably solid college center. Nevada doesn’t have anyone like that, Foster is probably the closest to that. The other “Center” for us Darien Williams is 6’8 but he’s not a banger he can stretch the floor but Muss really has them in there to rebound.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PackHoops wrote:
Looking at your roster I’d agree Tertsea is a true center, Nevada doesn’t have anyone like that. Andre at 6’8 I don’t normally consider a center more PF but at 275 is hefty and probably solid college center. Nevada doesn’t have anyone like that, Foster is probably the closest to that. The other “Center” for us Darien Williams is 6’8 but he’s not a banger he can stretch the floor but Muss really has them in there to rebound.
While Tertsea and Layssard might be centers, they are not ready yet. If we need either of them to play, it means we are in foul trouble, and most likely in trouble, period. They are #12 and #13 at the bottom of the roster right now.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am fired up for this tilt !!!!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Obviously this will not make or break our season, but the one year we need to win games like this is this one.

The A10 will not be good so we won't have the luxury of playing some top 50 teams in the conference. Beating teams we should beat in the A10 won't do anything for our tournament resume.

Let's get the W!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Very good point Stevie. Its all part of the resume. Plus it's also fun to root for teams the rest of the year after we beat them.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote:
PackHoops wrote:
While Tertsea and Layssard might be centers, they are not ready yet. If we need either of them to play, it means we are in foul trouble, and most likely in trouble, period. They are #12 and #13 at the bottom of the roster right now.
Well with Berry and Langevine starting tonight, DH realizes the need for height. Gonna be interesting.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Hmmm I wonder if this will be available for replay on the Watch ESPN app? No way in hell I could stay up very long after tip but would be great to check this out before work in the morning (no DVR).
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Definitely excited for the game.....as others have stated I will be tired tomorrow but I don't care. I've been dying for season to really get going. We are a tenured team for the most part and we should be ready for an early test like this. GoRhody!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm going to try staying up but I watched most of the Pats game last night so I don't know how long I can make it. God, I'm old.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This night owl is made for this game.
Gettin me some beers now ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PackHoops wrote:Good afternoon Gents,

Figured I’d drop in and make a few comments that I’ve seen you guys comment on. First someone mentioned Stephens is injured, that is not the case. The player that has been dealing with an injury is Caleb Martin (turf toe).It is the reason he didn’t start Friday and I expect Muss didn’t want to play him saving him for tonight but Nevada started sluggish.Caleb and Caroline are the two players that have gotten a lot of preseason award nominations like 1st team MW picks etc.

Someone mentioned if the 6’7 guys were guards or forwards, almost all the 6’7 guys are more guards than forwards etc for Darien Williams and Elijah Foster (who is really 6’7 with big hair he magically grew an inch this summer and now is the Center). When Lindsey Drew sat Friday with fouls trouble Nevada played a lot of all 6’7 on the floor as both Martins can play PG with Cody Martin a true PG (he had 7 assists I think) Josh Hall at 6’7 will also play PG/SG.

Obviously both our teams don’t have true Centers and are similarly built. I can see this game going either way sometimes in a game like this just need 1 player on either side to be hot.

One last thing on Pettaway the Bryant transfer you guys talked about. He’s not listed on Nevada’s website as he actually isn’t abt nevada currently. He transferred with the intent to walk-on but for some reason is currently enrolled at a local community college TMCC. My guess his grades aren’t up to snuff yet so he’s not on the team.

Anyway if you guys can stay up should be a great early test for both teams.

Cheers

PackHoops (can find me on Twitter with that handle too)
What I said, PackHoops, was that Stephens played only 11 minutes because of an injury in the game. Does not mean he would not play tonight. I had heard that. We will soon see who starts but if healthy I'd think Stephens is in the starting 5.

Stephens in the 4 games this year:
Grand Canyon - 21 min, 6-10 FG, 5-8 on 3FG, 2-2 FT, 3 reb, 19 points
Stanislaus - 36 min, 10-15 FG, 9-15 on 3FG, 6-6 FT, 4 reb, 35 points
Dominican - 24 min, 5-15 FG, 2-11 on 3FG, 1-2 FT, 4 reb, 13 points
Idaho - 11 min, 3-8 FG, 1-6 on 3FG, 0-0 FT, 0 reb, 7 points
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PackHoops wrote:
I'd call Berry a center. He spends most of his time in the middle of the paint.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Getting the butterflies. That's a good thing.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Roll call - who stayed up for this one?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Roll call - who stayed up for this one?
I'm trying. We'll see how far I get. Whatever I miss, the DVR goes on as soon as I wake up.
0 x
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

Wouldn't miss it. Getting excited!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I’m staying up so far. This is the worst. Such a deep conflict between two things I love.

I keep hearing, no imagining hitting my head on that pillow. Then I remember everyone thinks Nevada is going to be this pivotal ooc early season matchup. Then I swear off ESPN.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Absolutely. Would not miss this game for anything.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Roll call - who stayed up for this one?
Well I did, but I suppose that's not really all that impressive!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018